Railjack and Open Space vs Content Islands

NeroAugustine

I feel like Railjack was meant to be a lot more integrated into the game, and I don't think you should give up on doing so.
Things like Free Flight for each planet, and players being able to start old-school ground missions from free-flight adding mission advantages are both non-invasive.

Ways Railjack could be integrated advantageously with ground missions:
-Tactical Map available in ground missions started from the local free flight. (Including tactical abilities from map/turret hacking, etc.)
-Ability to have crew fill in empty squad slots.
-Revamping the Air Support system, and linking it directly to Railjack.

Ways Railjack Free Flight could add to the game apart from ground missions:
-Revamp or add to Extractor system, allowing extractors to be locally accessed, and interactive to the benefit of players seeking more precise mining.
-Asteroid mining (in arch wing, or something similar)
-Random space encounters.
-Revamping the solar rail specter missions between each planet.

Much of the negative feedback of railjack is based on a premise that it is so much of a content island. It can be integrated in a non-invasive way, without being so departed from the rest of the game as it has as little of an intrinsic value as it currently does in the eyes of many. I understand you are currently focusing on something else, but eventually you will have to get back to this system at some point.

I am a huge fan of railjack, and I feel that of all features released in the past few years, it has the most potential to be deeply and positively game changing.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NeroAugustine said:

Things like Free Flight for each planet, and players being able to start old-school ground missions from free-flight adding mission advantages are both non-invasive.

I support this gentleman great ideas, let me describe my point of view here:

After DE increased the railjack movement speed to make the mission as fast as solo missions, the space area became extremely small for this type of playground and everything became more exhausting for host and server, for example:

the trips are fast and agile, the metric system seems small, there's almost no room to do "dog hunt cat and cat hunt mouse" type missions, i find it impossible to do missions with enemies hunting you or ourselves hunting runaway enemies, all the ship's movements are suddenly quick and evasive as it was meant to be slower and more functional for servers. everything is small because the ship's agility breaks the space barriers and the space is big because the metric is using the total space. it's hard to explain.

technically getting from one planet to another will not be a pleasure as the metrics were broken in the second update when the railjack ship got faster and more agile.

Edited by Famecans

26 minutes ago, NeroAugustine said:

I feel like Railjack was meant to be a lot more integrated into the game

... Its the other way around.

[DE]Steve already said that the game didn't start from Railjack due to a myriad of technical difficulties at the time.

5 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

... Its the other way around.

[DE]Steve already said that the game didn't start from Railjack due to a myriad of technical difficulties at the time.

I'm saying 'meant to be' not as in 'integrated from the start' but as in 'the long term intentions'.

As of right now, DE have the ability to host ground missions within a Railjack instance. I'm of the opinion that they should capitalise on this and transition more content towards Railjack. Unfortunately, the current implementation feels very restrictive. It basically adds a few Railjack objectives at the start of every ground mission. I would personally prefer doing it the other way around - show up to a planet in our Railjack, clear out the immediate vicinity in a Railjack mission, then get easy access to both Railjack and Ground missions directly. We don't need to have both in all missions.

I don't think an open world is in the cards for Railjack (or really, Warframe), but the current instancing system and the ability to host ground missions within a Railjack instance opens the opportunity for some really creative designs. Provided DE can actually dynamically reuse ground missions, rather than having to devote a node to each mission type, this could be quite good.

• Like 3