Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If 95% of what I do is just Star Chart missions and fissures does it matter what Frame I use?

I just came back after a 2 year break from the game and I am awash in new frames and primes. I have had to watch about a dozen videos just to even get a handle on the new frames let alone know how to play them. 

But the frame that has really caught my eye is Grendel. And I understand that Grendel is basically considered trash tier because I have seen him ridiculed in almost every video I have seen, but his kit just looks like dumb fun to me. You swallow up enemies and then just ping pong around the map. And since I mostly do level 0-80 content I think I can get away with using him can't I? Or is he really just that god awful? 

I just want some opinions because it apparently a grind and a half to get him. Especially for someone like me that is so far behind. 

no.

and you can generally force anything to work almost anywhere, too. if you really want to use a particular Weapon or Warframe in some content, there's probably a way you can force it to work. even in high tier stuff and some Endurance Missions.

9 minutes ago, (PSN)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I just want some opinions because it apparently a grind and a half to get him.

well, it does mean doing Arbitrations (which aren't that bad really), and then running a few special missions without any mods, which some people struggle with. but if you can do those, then you should be fine with a modded Grendel. people trash him because there aren't many scenarios where he's useful, but he can still buff the team a little, and vomiting people off cliffs is more fun than it has any right to be (and allows you to kill any level enemy) xD

if you're not bothering with Steel Path, then you can absolutely bring whatever you want and be capable of winning. if nothing else, Grendel has a big health pool without losing the benefit of shield gating like Inaros or Nidus, and can give himself more armor, so you should be able to tank anything up to sortie 3 easily enough.

he's a fat frame who's hard to kill, eats people and can turn into a Grineer Roller on Steroids, so he's pretty fun lol.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I don't know what that means? The whole arcane thing is still need to me. 

Grendel gets criticized for having problems with energy.  His 1 eats enemies and powers the rest of his abilities, but he loses energy for each enemy inside his tummy.  It's a channeled ability, so it keeps draining energy and restricts how you can restore it.  Arcane Energize helps a ton.

7 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Grendel gets criticized for having problems with energy.  His 1 eats enemies and powers the rest of his abilities, but he loses energy for each enemy inside his tummy.  It's a channeled ability, so it keeps draining energy and restricts how you can restore it.  Arcane Energize helps a ton.

Oh okay. Thanks. Sorry. Still catching up. 

55 minutes ago, (PSN)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

But the frame that has really caught my eye is Grendel. And I understand that Grendel is basically considered trash tier because I have seen him ridiculed in almost every video I have seen, but his kit just looks like dumb fun to me. You swallow up enemies and then just ping pong around the map. And since I mostly do level 0-80 content I think I can get away with using him can't I? Or is he really just that god awful? 

Grendel has some legitimate issues but he is far from trash tier (Yareli). Grendel is very tanky without much effort, has solid CC with his 1, is capable of above average zoning with his 3 and 4 (using 200%+ range) and with some creative subsumes can become quite flexible in most gameplay.

For star chart and relic farming he would be a great frame. The zoning potential of his 3+4 gives him higher kill potential than most frames (on par with saryn, mirage etc.) against corpus and infested. He doesn't do so great against Grineer but should still be pefectly usable againt them in conventional star chart. 

Even in Steel Path Grendel can be somewhat useful, you're just going to want to double-down on his defensive capabilities and invest in CC rather than rely on the damage from his 3 or 4. Subsume Gloom onto him and you can get away with a max range high efficiency build for fairly consistent health regen.

EDIT: Also, farming him can be mitigated HEAVILY if you use Hildryn. Use Hildryn with Gloom and you should be able to wreck the Grendel missions with no issue whatsoever. 

Grendel is awesome and most definitely not trash tier. Slot in Hunter's Adrenaline, some defensive mods not to melt too fast, and you get an endless cycle of eating, partially digesting, throwing up mobs. Yes, energy drains fast, but you'll be soaking up health damage in between meals and replenishing your pool to go onto another round of gobbling. You can easily get 30-35m range for the mob eating, and you can hitscan multiple mobs during the animation to get as many as you want in the belly. He really comes into his own in Steel Path thanks to the mob density feeding the cycle.

And you aren't a real Rescue pro until you used Grendel to carry all the Wardens to extraction, to the bemused looks of the rest of your team as you spit them out. 😄

Most opinions you'll find online about frames is going to be from the perspective of whether or not they're the "best" at a specific thing and anything that isn't or takes any amount of effort to achieve it will be labeled as trash.

Really so long as you're not playing for maximum efficiency you'll be just fine in all content regardless of frame choice. The only difference will be needing to put a bit more effort/time in than with a more optimal setup and/or needing to rely more on your choice of weapons.

In the end just take whatever you find enjoyable and you'll be able to make it work just fine.

For the star chart/fissures, it doesn't really matter no. Not only that though, Grendel can be pretty strong, and do a lot of harder content. People just tend to rate him low, because there are frames that can do better, energy maintenance issues, etc but such issues can be and are often levied at many frames. So if the Frame seems appealing to you, def give them a try! Have fun etc if you enjoy them a lot, you'll probably find ways to excel with him in harder content. 

Getting him can be tricky though... I def recommend doing it with friends or other people and definitely not doing it solo. Good luck. 

6 hours ago, (PSN)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I just came back after a 2 year break from the game and I am awash in new frames and primes. I have had to watch about a dozen videos just to even get a handle on the new frames let alone know how to play them. 

I just want some opinions because it apparently a grind and a half to get him. Especially for someone like me that is so far behind. 

Grendel gets a lot of grief because his playstyle is hard to take advantage of well in a team and can even be counter-productive in that setting while not really offering anything that's "OMG amazing." That said, he can be fun to tinker around with.

As for what to use in Star Chart, just use whatever you enjoy most or makes your life easier. Octavia, Ivara, Wisp, Titania, and Equinox would be some of my top recommendations.

You dont need validation from others (youtubers especially) to have fun,

But from an objective standpoint of "will this frame be competent enough to not be a handicap when completing missions"  , then Grendel is fine all the way to sortie as long as you build him moderately well. Pretty much any frame can manage up to sortie with all the different mods and access to helminth abilities will just push them further.

Grendel is mostly a tank , with some awkward support potential (cause of the "resource " the abilities sneed ) and a little bit of an energy management problem.

Archived