New player experience thoughts. Teshin and Starchart.

Dante

I used to ask my friends their thoughts about warframe (sadly the majority only played for a day or two), and after seeing a couple of vids from both beginners and veterans on the topic of New Player Experience i came to conclusion that Teshin should be a part of it.

Problems

1. "Teshin? Who's Teshin?"

That's what i've heard a lot of people say when doing The War Within.
Spoilers for The War Within quest incoming.

Spoiler

The first thing we see during the first mission of the quest, our Operator notices Teshin running away from the scene on Lua.
Operator is very surprised with seeing him there. Most of the players i've seen doing the quest, weren't. They had no clue who this "Teshin" was.

"Yes... From the moment i began training you, i have anticipated this moment."

This is the line Teshin says when being commanded by the Queen to kill us. Something i still can't forget because it feels like a missed opportunity.
This line would have hit much harder, or at least would've made more sense for players if he really did play a part in the tutorial. Even if in theory he could be, lore-wise, "mentoring" us before our "memory loss", still.

2. "What do i do now" / "I've completed the tutorial and left the game"

Heard the latter a lot from my friends, who decided to give the game a try by themselves. They were overwhelmed by the amount of planets and their missions, and had no idea what to press or where to go. "What planet do i pick? What mission do i start?" Current navigation for them is pretty much a dozen of buttons (planets) with dozens of nested buttons (missions), and most of those don't work. While it is not hard to figure out and understand, some don't bother. 

While the first "New Player Experience" rework did a great job teaching players the gameplay basics (movement, shooting, melee, etc) as a part of Vor's Prize quest, the issue is what comes after it. Players are not familiar with the junction system and they are already expected to go 2 planets before Earth, to Mercury to unlock a planer after Earth, Mars. This is the worst case of "do something on planet 1 to unlock a path from planet 2 to planet 3" i know of.

Possible Solutions

1. Hide or darken the planets player has no access to.

An easy and quick solution. Planets can be visually separated by accessible and inaccessible. Inaccessible ones are faded out or darkened (maybe can't be clicked on), or hidden entirely.

2. Meet players with the junctions.

This one is long and hard, Tenno. And i want Teshin to be a part of it. A mentor (preferably Teshin to solve problem #1, but can be Lotus i suppose), helps you through Venus and Mercury, explains Junctions, different mission routes you can go to reach those junctions, and explains a bit about himself / herself. Teshin might aswell take part in some missions, and maybe even one of the junctions.

29 minutes ago, Dante said:

Possible Solutions

An easy and quick solution. Planets can be visually separated by accessible and inaccessible. Inaccessible ones are faded out or darkened (maybe can't be clicked on), or hidden entirely.

This...this is good idea.

Bernie Sanders Yes GIF by Election 2016

5 hours ago, Dante said:

This isn't a thing for new players? I completed the starchart before Spectres of the Rails that brought the current one with junctions and I clearly remember how one of the most exciting things was to learn what the next planet in the line was (it was of course fairly obvious when you know the ordee of orbits but there were some unexpected moons and dwarf planets). I can see how utterly confusing it must be to have all the planets revealed from the start, not to mention how it takes away some of the excitement of unlocking the star chart

I  quite like the rest of your ideas to by the way. We need more Teshin 

48 minutes ago, Bryuf said:

This isn't a thing for new players? I completed the starchart before Spectres of the Rails that brought the current one with junctions and I clearly remember how one of the most exciting things was to learn what the next planet in the line was (it was of course fairly obvious when you know the ordee of orbits but there were some unexpected moons and dwarf planets). I can see how utterly confusing it must be to have all the planets revealed from the start, not to mention how it takes away some of the excitement of unlocking the star chart

I  quite like the rest of your ideas to by the way. We need more Teshin 

I actually wasn't sure and checked on youtube before i started the topic. It might have been a thing in one of the previous versions of the star chart, but it seems like the current version has every planet on display for new players.

The changes have helped to improve the experience for new players. But after that initial few hrs your left with a mountain of info and no real help to explain it or direction.

So you have to either have a veteran explain things, or read/watch extra stuff, and spend 30 plus he's really playing and gaining knowledge.

The gameplay is really fun to start though. It's the mountain of systems that overwhelm new players.

10 hours ago, Dante said:

This one is long and hard, Tenno.

Youtube Eyebrows GIF by SoulPancake

the new player experience does need improvement, that's for sure, and I wouldn't mind Teshin actually getting to be the "wise Sensei" character that he is made out to be. there was only ever a glimpse of that in War Within, where he reminded us on Lua that we still haven't reached our full potential yet, and the crazy trials he puts us through with the Golden Maw and everything else on that mountain. 

I think that progression should be more linear whilst unlocking the starchart. characters that have appeared early on like Darvo would inform you of the next planet and what you can expect, and only once all the main planets are fully unlocked will you finally be given the "do what you want" treatment. by this point the player will have done all the major story quests, have some idea on how to play each of the different mission types, and should have a small variety of different weapons and frames to work with. at this point the mandatory hand-holding can become optional for players who don't want further guidance without depriving those who reckon they still need it. 

and of course, more and better tutorials for the non-mission systems like modding, pet breeding, using gear items etc.

Archived