Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Logic / Lore Question (Spoilers)

CyborgJellyfish

I'm sure I'm not the first one to question this, and I won't be the last, but after running yet another capture mission to grab a relic I was wondering... who exactly is interrogating all those captives? What base are they transported back to, with that garbled digital scream? 

Spoiler

General storyline spoiler, obvious references to Space Mom, yes I've done the whole star chart, etc etc

I know this is a pretty moot point in general, since the logic dictates that we've only done each mission once. I mean, why would we need to assassinate the same person multiple times, hmm? I'm sure advanced space ninjas would get it right the first time... Oh wait... lol.

So yeah. I'm being intentionally vague so that people who click this without doing the star chart don't get their mind blown, while at the same time I think I'm being pretty obvious in what I've said. Regardless, I was honestly wondering what/where/why/who are we interrogating people, and what exactly are we capturing? What information did we even need, anyways? I need answers... 🤨

Spoiler

More spoiler stuff - Sentients, yadda yadda - wait, what's that about Hunhow being a singular sentient mind?

So yeah. This is a pretty fluff / nonsense post in general. Is there actually something more... sinister... going on? Its not like we're capturing a bunch of people in a giant digital archive or anything, because that would be silly. Wouldn't it, hunters? 😅

Go ahead - share your theories. Maybe we'll get a few laughs. Maybe someone will draw a few comics. Maybe [DE] will get inspired for more future quests / open worlds / mission types. Either way, I figure it was a good topic for people to just go crazy creative with.

Well the tenno are just space ninjas, as in spies/assassins. The syndicates and such are not really. They and the Lotus are fighting against the Corpus and Grineer. So they need intelligence of what those groups are up, what they got going on, etc. Plus some missions will have the Lotus talking about something she found out, so she had to learn it from somewhere.

The solar system is a giant place. There could be many many bases and colonies that we will never see where they could be taken. And I just assumed they are being transported to a nearby ship during capture. The capital ships don't seem to notice the tenno landers zooming in, so a ship run by the Lotus could be out there just needing the correct coordinates of the capture target.

My answer to this piece of headcanon is this.

All those captives, all that biomatter, what do you think we make our Warframes out of Tofu?

They scream because they know what's about to happen to them.

"No! no! not me! I don't want to die!"

As for Grineer assassination targets, well, they're clones so it's a case of.

"Commander Vay Hek Sir, they just killed Vor!"

"Again!! *shouty voice* Well, what are you waiting for Maggot, defrost another one!"

Or, it could all be that the game is so mashed up and so few attempts at fixing any of this in the game lore have taken place in the past 4 or 5 years that questioning anything is pretty much worthless as the game has been reduced into it's simplest form. A corridor based horde looter shooter where the most important thing is grinding the next shiny rather than finding the answers to the questions the game asks which aren't there.

I hate that it's come to that.

The last serious attempts to add lore to the game were Nightwave and the Laverian, at least one of which is now pretty much defunct and the other is in a second concurrent Intermissions but under another name.

9 hours ago, CyborgJellyfish said:

I'm sure I'm not the first one to question this, and I won't be the last, but after running yet another capture mission to grab a relic I was wondering... who exactly is interrogating all those captives? What base are they transported back to, with that garbled digital scream? 

My head cannon is that we send them to Cephalon Simaris. The energy we spew from our hand is orange, the same color as Simaris. That, and Cephalon Simaris is very much interested in the gathering of knowledge and most likely knows how to get information out of living beings for interrogation. As apparently just us scanning their data a few times in a mission with a synth scanner can reveal basically everything about the enemy in question. (Other than their height which is annoying to me.) So it is very possible we basically scan them into our hands and send them off to the orange D-Pad. It would make sense that Lotus would send them off to Simaris to begin with, even if we don't meet him right away, he is still an ally, and has been around long enough for the Lotus and him to work together for a common cause. Think about it, with how many Tenno awaken, either in lore or with the registered losers, that's a lot of people that can help spread and capture the knowledge he seeks at the price of helping gain knowledge back for them.

He does also let us use the knowledge we've gained, and it seems capture targets are very special in a way, and apparently rare, so Simaris giving us the information for capturing such a "rare specimen" could be the information they knew.

The only thing that puts a hole in this theory is that we don't scan them when we put them into the palm of our hand. But I think that's because scanning them won't reveal what is going on inside their head.

Just a theory.

9 hours ago, CyborgJellyfish said:

So yeah. This is a pretty fluff / nonsense post in general. Is there actually something more... sinister... going on? Its not like we're capturing a bunch of people in a giant digital archive or anything, because that would be silly. Wouldn't it, hunters?

I don't entire think it would be that silly.

I mean we are space ninjas in space fighting a clone army, robot army, robot zombies, and outer space star fish that can adapt to everything. Kahl of Duty and Clem and all that stuff lol.

depends. personally I reckon it makes the most logical sense to simply interrogate them in a secret location, then knock them out and send them to the nearest outpost, so when they wake up they have no memory of what happened. one could argue Lotus might have them executed after interrogation, but if the target is spared, that means they can be used again in the future: there's a distinct possibility that some of these capture targets have been apprehended, interrogated, and then released multiple times over. all they can do is hope and pray each time that the Tenno don't catch them or are taken out by their comrades as they flee to their ship.

essentially, they get the Men in Black treatment: detention, interrogation, and wiping their recent memory so that they can still function as an officer within their faction, but without knowing what actually happened to them and what intelligence they were forced to give away. 

I believe that when we "Capture" our enemy, the process with them being pixelated and screaming is actually the "interrogation" itself. Instead of bringing them in and interrogating them 1950's detective style, I think we are literally downloading their minds so that way we get everything, the whole scoop, this is why we can mortality wound them instead of just arresting them.

Think of it like that scene from Doctor who 

Archived