The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nova Getting Nerfed!?

Hammie

I feel like the glasscannon argument is kind of moot.  If everything is always slow you are going to be hard pressed to be hit than if you were running any other frame with a 2x dmg bonus to boot.  Until recently I ran with little to no redirection and had no problem playing with many frames with under 300 shields and health on extended runs survival or T3.  I say play every frame except Trinity like a glass cannon since it build dumb habits over time for a game like warframe to tank hits.  Eventually its about evading oneshots, napalm fire and the like.

You managed to quote the ONLY scenario where its better to rank on shared XP, "a frame and 3 weapons". But its not slower without a Nova, simply because the shared XP mechanic in this particular situation is the same. It doesn't matter how they are killed, if they are killed by others you get 25% to everything. The ONLY reason it might seem slower, is that because you have more of a chance to kill stuff, the XP from your personal kill is split 50/50 between the weapon that made the kill and your warframe and not distributed evenly between 3 weapons and a Warframe.

The only thing that is going on, is your lack of understanding of the XP mechanics.

The only thing that is going on is your stubborn refusal to see what actually happens.  For instance, the fact that it did not matter that I was leveling a warframe and 3 weapons because it does not affect the XP split at all.  The fact that I was leveling all four slots at the same time just meant that I didn't have to look at the XP split at the end of the mission.  I could see things leveling up in game at the same rate.  It was an extra indicator in addition to seeing the actual XP gains at the end of the mission.  According to you, I should have been leveling up faster because I was not spamming any abilities, nor was anyone using Mprime.  Yet, I was not leveling faster.  I was not using all my weapons.  Yet the weapons that I did not use were not far behind in XP than the weapons that I did use.

You use math selectively to make your case.  But, you do not factor in the fact that the faster you kill enemies, the faster they respawn, so the faster you kill them, the more of them you kill.  So, your two cases are not comparable because the case with Mprime spam would involve more enemies.

I feel like the glasscannon argument is kind of moot.  If everything is always slow you are going to be hard pressed to be hit than if you were running any other frame with a 2x dmg bonus to boot.  Until recently I ran with little to no redirection and had no problem playing with many frames with under 300 shields and health on extended runs survival or T3.  I say play every frame except Trinity like a glass cannon since it build dumb habits over time for a game like warframe to tank hits.  Eventually its about evading oneshots, napalm fire and the like.

It's not slow and x2 damage just for you.  It's slow and x2 damage for the entire team.  So you cannot compare one warframe and say it has the advantage over another when they all share the advantage.

Edited by ThePresident777

It's not slow and x2 damage just for you.  It's slow and x2 damage for the entire team.  So you cannot compare one warframe and say it has the advantage over another when they all share the advantage.

I'm saying it is barely a glass cannon.  Cannon yes, but all frames are fragile if you don't know how to use cover.  Honestly only Trinity is built for sustained fire and Rhino only to a certain time in extended endless runs.  I'm not saying it doesn't benefit the team.  I am saying singling out Nova to be a glass cannon is wrong.  If that was DEs intent she is no more fragile than any other frame.

A hundred or so in health or shields don't make much of a difference.  Excali's bind or Loki's disarm however do, but in these cases the frames will get oneshotted if they get touched after a certain point.  That is why I say a glass cannon argument to justify Nova's strengths is hardly an effective one.  

Logic and facts are wasted on people who simply twist the Nova argument to suit their case. I played with someone who had formad their Nova 8 times apparently. Not much health or shields, because was maxing damge and distance. Could kill everything across the entire map on Xini. The Nova joined at wave 2, I left at wave 5, because nothing to do, weapon not leveling much..

This argument that my math only applies to early game and Nova cant chain everything...well it applies to the first 25 waves of defence, or first 20-30m of survival. That's long enough to be bored and not get much XP on a weapon or frame. When it gets tough, as I repeatedly say....the Novas leave!

Logic, facts, none of it works where Nova lovers are concerned. Hopefully though, those newer players who don't realise just how bad a Nova in the game can be for them in terms of boredom or ranking stuff up, perhaps they will gain from these discussions.

I'm saying it is barely a glass cannon.  Cannon yes, but all frames are fragile if you don't know how to use cover.  Honestly only Trinity is built for sustained fire and Rhino only to a certain time in extended endless runs.  I'm not saying it doesn't benefit the team.  I am saying singling out Nova to be a glass cannon is wrong.  If that was DEs intent she is no more fragile than any other frame.

A hundred or so in health or shields don't make much of a difference.  Excali's bind or Loki's disarm however do, but in these cases the frames will get oneshotted if they get touched after a certain point.  That is why I say a glass cannon argument to justify Nova's strengths is hardly an effective one.  

By the same reasoning, singling out Nova to be a damage dealer is wrong because other Warframes also do damage and Mprime multiplies ALL damage.  So you can't compare Nova to another Warframe and say that Nova is the better damage dealer when the other Warframe is using the benefits of Mprime, and detonating enemies.  Mprime does not stack with Mprime and it does not detonate itself.  Anybody can detonate Mprime.

Logic and facts are wasted on people who simply twist the Nova argument to suit their case. I played with someone who had formad their Nova 8 times apparently. Not much health or shields, because was maxing damge and distance. Could kill everything across the entire map on Xini. The Nova joined at wave 2, I left at wave 5, because nothing to do, weapon not leveling much..

This argument that my math only applies to early game and Nova cant chain everything...well it applies to the first 25 waves of defence, or first 20-30m of survival. That's long enough to be bored and not get much XP on a weapon or frame. When it gets tough, as I repeatedly say....the Novas leave!

Logic, facts, none of it works where Nova lovers are concerned. Hopefully though, those newer players who don't realise just how bad a Nova in the game can be for them in terms of boredom or ranking stuff up, perhaps they will gain from these discussions.

You must be playing another game, because when enemies die, more of them show up right away.  The faster you kill them, the faster they reappear.

By the same reasoning, singling out Nova to be a damage dealer is wrong because other Warframes also do damage and Mprime multiplies ALL damage.  So you can't compare Nova to another Warframe and say that Nova is the better damage dealer when the other Warframe is using the benefits of Mprime, and detonating enemies.  Mprime does not stack with Mprime and it does not detonate itself.  Anybody can detonate Mprime.

I'm saying nothing of her damage output.  I'm saying she is not as fragile as you all make her out to be in comparison to other frames.  Yes, I can compare how well frames survive.  This is the only thing I have been talking about, suitability.  I feel like that is being blown out of proportion since all frames can do reasonably well.

You have said the same thing to me twice.  The trade off of slightly less shield/hp for a much more flexible fourth skill in comparison to most.

You are saying she is not comparable as a dmg frame.  I've been saying you are hard pressed to get killed as any frame unless you try to tank hits.

You must be playing another game, because when enemies die, more of them show up right away.  The faster you kill them, the faster they reappear.

I don't think I'd use this logic to get my friends into the game and convince them that every warframe is equally useful.

"You guys should come play! You can sit in the corner and watch me pwn all these mobs for half an hour. It'll be great."

15 or 20 waves 

Because of the nature of M Prime you can actually kill enemies moderately fast at waves 35-40, but after that the flawed scaling system does catch up. However, people should take note to realize that the flawed scaling system should not be used to argue anything, when DE has repeatedly stated that that content is not balanced in the slightest. (balance is an inherently good thing, it is not up for debate. do not make the mistake that fun come from imbalance.)

So, first you ask for a context.  Then when something does not fit in the context, you ask for that thing to be changed.  So, one more time, ask DE for more missions that you like then ask that powers fit the mission when playing that mission, not the entire game..

"ef u dun liek it dun youse etz hare e mission that dun has it preblem selved1"

NO. That is a terrible argument.

That doesn't fix anything, and because you have been incapable or refuting mine, or anybody elses, points about why the skill is OP that means we are now correct. There is a problem, masking it and ignoring doesn't fix it. That means we just have a problem everybody ignores, aka- its still there.

By the nature of her ability, one nova will always have the greatest dps in the game power-wise, with the largest AOE. Period. This isn't up for arguing.

Also, 4 novas is the god team of damage. Look up AMD.

25 energy (Modded of course, which is how nearly every Nova goes for anyway) for a skill that halves enemy movement speed, attack speed, makes them take double damage, and makes them explode in a lethal chain reaction (Which again, will do double damage to other affected targets), and can affect a massive area with no enemy limit?

Yeah. It's worse than Trinity with her "Full Heal, Full Energy, easily attainable 20 sec+ Invincibility for every ally, regardless of range"

The reason so many frames are so useless in end-game is because abilities like this are leagues above the others, and trivialize balance. Taking double damage and chain reaction is bad enough. Slowing them by 50% is just overkill.

I'm not saying it's the best skill ever and Nova needs to be nerfed, but skills like M. Prime and Blessing need to be reworked if there's ever going to be any semblance of balance. I dream of a world where every frame is viable in end-game and brings just as much to the table as other frames.

Until then, I'll keep seeing / joining defenses that contain a bubble Frost, an M Prime Nova, and a Bless-slave Trinity. Yes, they're the best for the situation, but that's only because they're made the best for that situation. I've hosted a T3 defense and got flamed because I used my Mag instead of Nova or Trinity. (When Mag absolutely destroys clusters of shielded waves with Polarize)

Niche skills and One-trick ponies ruin games like this. Overpowered skills simply overpower every other skill.

Edited by Sokina

I'm saying nothing of her damage output.  I'm saying she is not as fragile as you all make her out to be in comparison to other frames.  Yes, I can compare how well frames survive.  This is the only thing I have been talking about, suitability.  I feel like that is being blown out of proportion since all frames can do reasonably well.

You have said the same thing to me twice.  The trade off of slightly less shield/hp for a much more flexible fourth skill in comparison to most.

You are saying she is not comparable as a dmg frame.  I've been saying you are hard pressed to get killed as any frame unless you try to tank hits.

I don't think I have used the glass cannon argument.  You must have me confused with someone else.  But, anyway....

I know you are not referring to her damage output, but, my point is valid.

I don't think I'd use this logic to get my friends into the game and convince them that every warframe is equally useful.

"You guys should come play! You can sit in the corner and watch me pwn all these mobs for half an hour. It'll be great."

Of course not, my argument has nothing to do with "sit in the corner and watch me pwn all these mobs for half an hour. It'll be great."

"ef u dun liek it dun youse etz hare e mission that dun has it preblem selved1"

NO. That is a terrible argument.

That doesn't fix anything, and because you have been incapable or refuting mine, or anybody elses, points about why the skill is OP that means we are now correct. There is a problem, masking it and ignoring doesn't fix it. That means we just have a problem everybody ignores, aka- its still there.

By the nature of her ability, one nova will always have the greatest dps in the game power-wise, with the largest AOE. Period. This isn't up for arguing.

Also, 4 novas is the god team of damage. Look up AMD.

Yes, it's an excellent argument.

It fixes everything, except your insatialble desire to ruin other people's fun, which is no one's problem but yours.  I have been incapable of refuting  your, or anybody elses, points about why the skill is OP because they are just opinions.  You can't refute an opinion.

Saying that you are correct because your point was not refuted is the same non-sense the creationists use to claim that they are right.  "Evolution is unproven therefore creationism is right."

Some other ults have 25 meter radius.  And, you are dodging the point.  I'm comparing team composition, which is meaningful, not warframe vs. warframe which is meaningless.  Mprime does not stack with Mprime, therefore it has less dps stacked with itself than with other powers, which is what matters in a coop game.

AMD is so god tier that no one uses it.  Maybe you would like Mprime to be such god tier too.

Nova cant kill a butterfly level 30+ her ult is a CC. and if you can make her uber at those levels do to working hard to getting the corrupted mods then you earned that power. stop being a fascist. 

Edit: to the OP Criers

Edited by S3ven0F13

I plan on getting a Nova, but I have played with plenty of them...and I don't see why most people are really complaining about her.

As I and others have stated, she has virtually NO shields and health, sure, she can annihalate entire rooms, but that's pretty much what she HAS to do to survive. Is Molecular Prime OP? To a certain extent, yes, but again, if you nerf it on any level, it actually LOSES effectiveness in a bad way. Mag's Crush pretty much roots her to the spot but still does big damage, big reach and crumples most enemies(except elites...) and I've noticed my allies was able to shoot the enemies that was still ragdolled in the air, meaning that the elites are easy pickings in that state anyways.

While that's my only example due to the only frame I can use atm, I feel it's the same thing with Oberon and the like. What we should actually be doing is NOT asking to nerf Nova, we should be asking to buff everyone ELSE. Mag still has her uses even if she isn't viable for T3 due to her Crowd Control and extremely spammable Pulls, Rhino can virtually be invunerable whenever he pleases and can fly around the arena with extreme ease, Saryn and Ember got powered up and is extremely dependable and Loki can pretty much aid the party and screw over the enemies hard.

Why did I mention them? Because if anything, they and others have PRIME(ok sorry) potential to be in endgame parties if they actually get a respective buff to their roles AND DE decides to make newer instances and difficulties that caters to widespread abilities rather than simple room clearing(isn't that the point of having multiple Warframes to begin with?) and there you go, Nova isn't as effective at the endgame.

But Nova isn't broken at all, she fits her aesthetic to a T and while yes, some players don't like Novas because they destroy everything they touch, but I notice that(And done that, Pull is freaking ridiculous at low-mid levels) pretty much every high end frame can do that EASILY(Saryn can clear rooms nearly as easily as Nova can, Ember can just end enemies, Mag's Pull, Crush and Shield Polarize can completely change battles if used in a tight spot) if anything, they need to make neglected Warframes(like Excalibur, I heard he peters out near the endgame) buffed and some of the others buffed up more to meet Nova, but in the end, I still believe Nova should be EXACTLY where she is because she supposed to be this: A Fragile Nuclear Missile. Anything less would destroy the entire point of Nova to begin with.

I don't think I have used the glass cannon argument.  You must have me confused with someone else.  But, anyway....

I know you are not referring to her damage output, but, my point is valid.

My initial post was never directed at you, but was my pitch in the thread.  I was explaining my post my last few replies to you as you replied to mine.  Mistakes made by both of us.  I've seen glass cannon thrown a lot in this thread that was the purpose of my post.

1. My math for the XP mechanics is completely correct, read the wiki page

Your math makes assumptions that don't reflect actual in game conditions, so yeah, while you are capable of adding and multiplying correctly, you're solving equations for stuff that is irrelevant.

2. I don't see why leveling 1 thing at a time is ridiculous, BUT if you are leveling a warframe and a weapon, the situation is even worse, as you loose XP on both counts. The only time it might be slightly better (only slightly) is if you are leveling a warframe and at least 2 weapons. Although any XP is usually a "rob peter to pay paul scenario" as everything levels up slower. Read the Wiki XP mechanic page and do the math for all the scnarios.

Because you can level more than one thing at time. As most people do.

3. The waves don't go by significantly faster, in survival you are often not near enough to get the "boom" xp from molecular prime, it's why small defense maps are usually better for leveling weapons, unless you have a survival team which sticks together.

So you haven't played much defense. OK. Or enough survival to know that if you wanna level stuff in survival, you follow around the Nova. Got it.

4. Nova clears out the boring lower levels of defense, then usually leaves, rarely do they stay past wave 15 or 20...so that's not correct. Plus its a game, people want to play not "catch up on funny cat videos". Your last point illustrates exactly why I make the point that Nova is "unfun" for others. People want to play, not watch a Nova do it's thing for 15 or 20 waves then leave.

Most pubbies (irregardless of warframe) want to leave by wave 15 or 20. Once again, it appears you're pretty new to Warframe.

Inez post is an example of how facts and logic are twisted to fit the views many Nova players express....it even finishes by telling us that we should just sit back and do nothing while the Nova does all the work. Is that what he thinks makes a good game of Warframe for others?

I find the low numbered waves on defense missions boring. So kill me not enjoying every single part of Warframe. Kicking back with a beer watching funny cat videos while a Nova levels my stuff is something I like.

It fixes everything, except your insatialble desire to ruin other people's fun, which is no one's problem but yours.  I have been incapable of refuting  your, or anybody elses, points about why the skill is OP because they are just opinions.  You can't refute an opinion.

You most certainly can debate opinions. That is what debating is. You state two opinions or positions, and you debate them. You attack the core concepts and points. Most non-nerfers never do this, or they state things that have been disproved many a times over, but you actually debate the reason why we are arguing, which in of itself is pretty redundant. I can in fact refute opinions, and then you counter refute. If you are incapable it is nobody's problem except yourself.

I am not out to get your fun either, I am out to balance the game, so that we can actually create meaningful content. There is literally no point to adding more content besides tiles to warframe because of how many blatantly OP things there are. Now people seem to think the hip thing to do is to make everything else just as bad. Despite ALL of the complaints about how warframe is a spam power to win game from people (maybe not you, but it exists... trust me) we decide that the best way to balance the game is to go in a redundant cycle of buffs because we simply can't handle nerfs and seeing our toys be touched. Believe me as well, I do call for nerfs on content I own, I have played with many things that I call nerfs for, and I am not basing it around "damage percent ego". 

I mean, also... you did say that logic was "just another opinion" as well, so I doubt you are capable of a discussion about the concept in the first place, considering you were arguing the merits of the concept when it is proven many times over to be inherently good. 

Some other ults have 25 meter radius.  And, you are dodging the point.  I'm comparing team composition, which is meaningful, not warframe vs. warframe which is meaningless.  Mprime does not stack with Mprime, therefore it has less dps stacked with itself than with other powers, which is what matters in a coop game.

Actually, because of explosions doing range, as well as the ability M Prime has the largest AOE range. This is fact. and I fully realize that you want to buff everything to be overpowered as well. Even right now if you look at the relation between enemies to warframe power, it is getting pretty ridiculous. We have infinite invulnerability, the ability to hard CC enemies forever, infinite damage sinks, and more debuffs then we know what to do with. I seriously cannot see at all how people think this is balanced in the slightest. It just does not make sense to me.

M Prime might not stack with M Prime, but antimatter drops are the best damage dealing ability. A team of four novas, has the potential to do so much more damage then any other team composition it isn't even funny. 

Replies in body

Edited by Cwierz

Replies in body

Yes, you can debate opinions, if two people have the same goal.  Then, you can compare how well each opinion advances the goal.  But, your idea of fun and my idea of fun are so radically different that there is no use to debating each other's opinions, unless we are just having fun debating how well we each advance our own goals.  The fact of the matter is that I enjoy what you hate, because I just do.  It's not personal.  My opinion is independent of your opinion.  We're never going to agree on this because we don't want the same thing.  I already have what I want in Nova.  That problem is solved.  My problem is mission variety, massive mission variety even.  The missions comes first.  The missions is everything.  Universality is counter productive to my goals.

You think the opposite.  Universality is your priority.

We have no interest in helping each other.  We are more interested in our own goals.  

In fact, our goals are opposite of each other.  So, even if the game had missions that you absolutely enjoyed, you would be irritated to know that the enjoyment was not universal.

If DE satisfied your goals, it would destroy the game for me and I would just move on to another game when it becomes available and I would probably never come back.  DE would lose a customer willing to spend $150 in a game.  I would not do it out of spite.  I would do it because of dissatisfaction with DE's design philosophy and customer support, and their commitment to such things.

It's what I have done with EA.  I bought ME3 and BF3 and other EA games, and demoed others, and learned their modus operandi the hard way.  I look at all their new games and see the same modus operandi at work.  BF4 is just a BF3 rehash.  DA3 is a return to DAO.  I will not repeat the same mistake.

So, my question is, will DE follow EA or will DE follow CDProject Red?  I prefer CDProject Red over EA, to say the least.  I have a good strong feeling about The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.  I'll see if I feel the same way about the final product.  But, I know for a fact EA has nothing for me.  I looked.  I'm not closed minded but I am firm in my priorities.

About AMD and four Novas, who is going to pump the AMD with damage?  And, who will tank enemy fire while controlling the AMD? 

And, you are still dodging my point that Mprimes do not stack with each other and that Mprime's advantages are shared.

Most pubbies (irregardless of warframe) want to leave by wave 15 or 20. Once again, it appears you're pretty new to Warframe.

Big assumption, I may well have a lot more play hours than you...but then your full of assumptions

Big assumption, I may well have a lot more play hours than you...but then your full of assumptions

But, he does have a valid counter point.  Most pubbies do leave before wave 20, or 10 even.  And, it's been like this since long before Nova.

Yes, you can debate opinions, if two people have the same goal.  Then, you can compare how well each opinion advances the goal.  But, your idea of fun and my idea of fun are so radically different that there is no use to debating each other's opinions, unless we are just having fun debating how well we each advance our own goals.  The fact of the matter is that I enjoy what you hate, because I just do.  It's not personal.  My opinion is independent of your opinion.  We're never going to agree on this because we don't want the same thing.  I already have what I want in Nova.  That problem is solved.  My problem is mission variety, massive mission variety even.  The missions comes first.  The missions is everything.  Universality is counter productive to my goals.

About AMD and four Novas, who is going to pump the AMD with damage?  And, who will tank enemy fire while controlling the AMD? 

And, you are still dodging my point that Mprimes do not stack with each other and that Mprime's advantages are shared.

See, the issue with you is that you seem to be denying that there is a problem at all. Your stance is that there is not a problem, and my stance is that nova needs to be balanced. You refuse to do anything except dodge points and refuse to respond to 99% of content except things unrelated to the topic. I also certainly do not want universiality, I want a power that is extensively out of line with the rest of the game, and creates a dominant, first order optimal strategy, with a layer of content trivialization to be brought back into line.  I do not care how, but it simply needs to be brought in line.

About your response to the amd's. Well duh, the players pump it with damage. This is about damage, not who is tanking the hits, you stated that a team of four novas will not have the damage potential of a compisition of a nova with other frames. That is false and I called you out on it, don't change topic, admit that you were wrong or refute properly.

So what if they don't stack. It still has more damage potential then two or even three ults combined with probably more CC as well, and if it can further increase the power of other ults its just another bad mark. Also keep in mind this is about nova as a whole, you can nerf M Prime by nerfing the frame it resides in.

Also, it is fitting that you would call me out on dodging points, when you have spent nearly 10 full pages doing so.

Really, most of the arguments from your side have been refuted to near death, yet they still get repeated. Sometimes you have the decency to post something that hasn't been refuted, but I am getting tired of hearing about novas "downsides". She has none, you just subconsciously believe so, and I can say that because I have used her, and then used many other frames. If the game had non-broken mechanics those weaknesses would exist, and would be noticeable in play, but the fact is that right now it doesn't. Buffing everything doesn't work either, you just end up with even more of a press 4 to win game. Every piece of content that DE will ever release, no matter how hard they work will always be trivialized beyond belief if we buff everything to the same level as nova, or a host of other frames for that matter.

reason why she doesn't seem fragile is because her ult is her survival in itself. Offense can also use for defense. So basically a Nova when feel corner, m-prime is her best option. 

Let take this in two perspective

Other frames when being corner can used their abilities, escape tough situation, such as pull, shield polarize, iron skin, invisibility, accelerant etc. They are all temporaries skill that allow one to escape without wasting too much energy. The only thing Nova got is probably worm hole (transport her to a direction but doesn't exactly know where she will land) so Nova will likely use m-prime instead. 

And when Nova use m-prime, people will think she spam it too much without even in Nova's position and think "instead of m-prime, what else can she use"