Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crafting timers are kinda old school

(PSN)EmilsTekcor

5 hours ago, Invisibleaxeman said:

True, but nowhere near as limiting, in particular warframe gives away slots for free periodically.  And the point is that there is always some combination of gating that allows games to be F2P.  Path of Exile is a great game but you are pushed toward buying stash tabs, causing similar misery to Warframe time-gating unless you pay up, and at least in Warframe you can buy the slots without spending real-life money.

That's a completely unfair analogy though, buying storage is a very limited thing. For 60$ you can buy currency stash, unique stash, a premium stash, and one or two stashes of your choice  Then you are done no more gating. In Warframe you spend 80$ on a prime access I don't remember the exact amount of platinum, but let's say it's 4000 if I was to spend it ok crafting timers only that'd be 125 plat per frame of which there are over 50 so it's no where near enough to even rush every frame. If giving a game 80$ doesn't merit skipping the gating that's dumb design.

5 minutes ago, (PSN)EmilsTekcor said:

That's a completely unfair analogy though, buying storage is a very limited thing. For 60$ you can buy currency stash, unique stash, a premium stash, and one or two stashes of your choice  Then you are done no more gating. In Warframe you spend 80$ on a prime access I don't remember the exact amount of platinum, but let's say it's 4000 if I was to spend it ok crafting timers only that'd be 125 plat per frame of which there are over 50 so it's no where near enough to even rush every frame. If giving a game 80$ doesn't merit skipping the gating that's dumb design.

Don't play that game but I guess the problem is the fact that you must buy the stashes(it's like inventory space right?), you can't farm them apparently unlike most things in Warframe.

Prime Access is farm skip with bonus plat and cosmetics on top of it, heck you can even skip the farm if you're f2p via trading, say the game is bad or anything else but in terms of free to play can't think of anything better than Warframe

As someone who has played alot of MMORPGs over the last 20 years all I can say is that I never wanna go back to classic real time crafting systems after having played WF.

I spend literal seconds in WF to craft, while in the real time crafting RPG's I would spend literal hours on crafting, locking me out from doing other things in the game during those hours. I've spent full sessions crafting consumables, materials and so on in several actual "old school" games, and I never wanna do that again. I'd take WF's crafting any day of the week even if it means waiting for an item a few days, atleast I can spend every session those days on playing the game and progressing other things.

2 hours ago, (PSN)EmilsTekcor said:

Please don't compare PoE to Warframe. As much as I love that game, its not comparable to WF in monetization. You have to pay to transmorg your items each time, even if you find a better weapon 10 minutes later. You have to buy stash tabs, because what they give you is not practical. On top of that, you have to buy premium stash tabs just to be able to label them. On top of that, you have to buy an extra special stash tab to be able to stack special items. Game is near unplayable without it. In comparison, I can do everything in Warframe with my first frame and the game gives you free inventory constantly, on top of the fact that it's very easy to trade for enough plat for the game to pay for itself in a few months (unless you get lucky with a high value riven). 

2 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

You have to pay to transmorg your items each time, even if you find a better weapon 10 minutes later.

You don't 'have to pay for transmog' in PoE. If it's cosmetics you're after then each league always gives those away (if you're after a grindfest - and if you're playing Warframe hey, who isn't).

41 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

This discussion is becoming sillier by the minute. 

It went from a discussion about timers in Warframe, to an irrelevant comparison between two incomparable games. 

It's a post in the forums what'd you expect? I do think that if you've bought a prime pack you shouldn't have to deal with crafting timers for the 90 days.

1 minute ago, (PSN)EmilsTekcor said:

It's a post in the forums what'd you expect? I do think that if you've bought a prime pack you shouldn't have to deal with crafting timers for the 90 days.

The thing is if they did that, the pack would probably cost more initially and would be touted as part of the package deal. Who knows what the price tag would be either. I have no clue how much money DE actually makes from people either rushing with platinum, or buying things from the market because of crafting times, and I doubt they will tell us, because then their competitors would know too. 

8 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

The thing is if they did that, the pack would probably cost more initially and would be touted as part of the package deal. Who knows what the price tag would be either. I have no clue how much money DE actually makes from people either rushing with platinum, or buying things from the market because of crafting times, and I doubt they will tell us, because then their competitors would know too. 

Honestly they don't need to make it cost more. They don't really have competition either. Warframe is kind of like a third game that I play when there is nothing else to play.

1 minute ago, (PSN)EmilsTekcor said:

Honestly they don't need to make it cost more. They don't really have competition either. Warframe is kind of like a third game that I play when there is nothing else to play.

But they would. 

Part of their income comes from people paying to skip. 

If they remove it without charging anyone anymore for doing so, they lose revenue. 

It's just basic arithmetic and business. They won't lose out on revenue just because it would make a few players happy. 

I'm not trying to be overly cynical, but it is just business. You don't lessen your revenue streams when they are working fine. 

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

But they would. 

Part of their income comes from people paying to skip. 

If they remove it without charging anyone anymore for doing so, they lose revenue. 

It's just basic arithmetic and business. They won't lose out on revenue just because it would make a few players happy. 

I'm not trying to be overly cynical, but it is just business. You don't lessen your revenue streams when they are working fine. 

Ehh I think more people would buy it if they didn't have craft timers. Besides they don't need to make all the money. Besides besides if they make improvements then people will want to play and spend money.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)EmilsTekcor said:

Ehh I think more people would buy it if they didn't have craft timers. Besides they don't need to make all the money. Besides besides if they make improvements then people will want to play and spend money.

I understand what you are getting at, but I think you gotta consider there may be a finite people who can afford to sink that much regularly into a video game, even if they want to. Far more often F2P games make their money by catering to the whales, who have really deep pockets, and timers give them another thing to sink money into, so the rest of us don't have to pay, or only have to pay very little and trade, to get by. 

I could be wrong, its not like I have statistics to pull out, but from my own observation is is what I suspect. DE knows the whales will whale anyways, but no matter how attractive they make them, only so money people have the pockets for PA regardless, especially on a regular basis. So make them at a reasonable price point so the none whales both give the game good money, but its cheap enough an occassonal non whale can save up for one like buying a new game), but still give the whales plenty of other plat sinks (like timers, which continue to help encourage them to pay to skip in general to get all the non prime and other gear faster). 

23 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I honestly really like the build timers, and if it were up to me I might even prevent the use of platinum to rush.  There's such a good feeling from putting an item in the oven and knowing that it'll be baked to perfection in a day or 3. It kind of reminds me of being a kid on the night before Xmas.

It's been a day so you've unlocked my response: your opinion is wrong.

BUT ANYWAY i just wanted to post a jokey comment above regarding PoE woes but i do agree with OP - my own anecodtal evidence says i've lost a couple of friends trying to get into this game who've then gone "WTF - no can't be arsed". in which case though... maybe it's not the game for them? it could be though. and should be. it really really should be. :-(

On 2021-08-10 at 2:53 PM, taiiat said:

the Foundry feels like a Mobile game to you, because that's exactly how that part of the game is designed.
and it isn't old school, those Mobile Games are the most lucrative games in existence.

if it really didn't make Money, it wouldn't be that way. 
yeah, it's anti-fun. but it's effective at making Money.

It's also designed to play the long game. The logic is, crafting times keep us logging in tomorrow, the day after, next week (to claim the stuff we crafted). The more we log in day after day, the more likely we are to buy platinum

12 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

It's also designed to play the long game. The logic is, crafting times keep us logging in tomorrow, the day after, next week (to claim the stuff we crafted). The more we log in day after day, the more likely we are to buy platinum

and the more it bumps up the activity numbers.

If anything it would be bloody nice if the timers would scale via time X plat. You can have something that takes 12 hours to craft and at 4 minutes left of crafting time left it still costs 25 plat.

I've played clash of clans since it came out and that is how their build timers work and they have build timers up to like 2 maybe 3 weeks now and their timers scale with gems going down with the time but in WF it will cost you 25 plat still to rush that 4 minutes left of the 12 hour build time, Clash doesn't have it to where you have 4 minutes left on the build time but it costs like hundreds of gems still but rather it may cost you like 7 gems to then rush that 4 minutes which I do. Such a scam for my time and other players time, rather than having scaling plat rushing costs it barely changes maybe at the half way mark the plat cost to rush will go down but after that same cost.

On 2021-08-10 at 2:53 PM, taiiat said:

the Foundry feels like a Mobile game to you, because that's exactly how that part of the game is designed.
and it isn't old school, those Mobile Games are the most lucrative games in existence.

if it really didn't make Money, it wouldn't be that way. 
yeah, it's anti-fun. but it's effective at making Money.

Its making new players lose interest instead of playing the game, nobody like to wait for 3 days to play the warframe they want, I think DE should reduce crafting time by at least 50%, to make things less tedious for players

Archived