Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Railjack] Please improve NPC pilot behavior regarding POI's

MasterControl

The NPC crew changes that allow crew to shoot external objectives like radiators on Grineer skirmish missions are great. However, there's some problems with it - NPC Pilots love to hug the POI, for starters. Considering most POIs are an environmental hazard, this usually results in the ship taking a major breach at least once during the process of taking it down. This is especially notable on Missile Platforms. They should hover a distance away, and only move in once a radiator has been exposed. Additionally, on Volatile missions, the crew will attempt to shoot the reactor weak points, which does nothing - and the pilot won't hold steady for you to shoot them with the forward artillery, and has a tendency to even go so far as to fly where the reactor weakpoints are out of LoS.

4 minutes ago, Infirito said:

Yeah, would be nice if they'd hold crew ships in their aim too, at least when they're already disabled.

They actually already do this if you're sitting in the FA, and pretty well in fact. The only complaint I actually have about how they handle crewships is that they don't try to get behind them, and when they do they love to shoot out the engines, but that's.. fair enough, I guess.

1 hour ago, MasterControl said:

The NPC crew changes that allow crew to shoot external objectives like radiators on Grineer skirmish missions are great. However, there's some problems with it - NPC Pilots love to hug the POI, for starters. Considering most POIs are an environmental hazard, this usually results in the ship taking a major breach at least once during the process of taking it down. This is especially notable on Missile Platforms. They should hover a distance away, and only move in once a radiator has been exposed. Additionally, on Volatile missions, the crew will attempt to shoot the reactor weak points, which does nothing - and the pilot won't hold steady for you to shoot them with the forward artillery, and has a tendency to even go so far as to fly where the reactor weakpoints are out of LoS.

Park the ship 6km away from the missile platform, get into your amesha or prefered AW, fly under the missile platform, use amesha 4th near the main platform door, press L to open the tactical map, hack all the missile turrets to your advantage (they will help you from now on destroying any possible enemy approaching the station), tp back to your ship, setup the NPC to pilot while you board the station. There are more things you can hack while fighting in AW like enemy turrets, turrets nest, etc. You get intrinsecs for doing it too.

As for the NPC pilot moving while you are in the FA cannon, you need to zoom in while aiming for the NPC pilot to halt the ship in the position you might like to shot, as easy as that.

You are the captain of your ship and you give orders to the NPCs, they are just waiting to know what you want to do :) , they already have a good AI but some final orders depends on you. Once you learn the routine and give the proper orders everything will go smooth.

3 minutes ago, Archaeopelta said:

use amesha 4th near the main platform door, press L to open the tactical map, hack all the missile turrets to your advantage (they will help you from now on destroying any possible enemy approaching the station),

hmmmmm what??  You can hack those invulnerable turrets ???  while in archwing??  You have to open the tactical map to do what exactly?? 

-----------------------

I think I would rather just let my pilot soak the missiles lol,  give my engineer something to do and ixing the ship is worth intrinsics too lol.  (not that I need any)

4 minutes ago, Archaeopelta said:

As for the NPC pilot moving while you are in the FA cannon, you need to zoom in while aiming for the NPC pilot to halt the ship in the position you might like to shot, as easy as that.

This works for crewships. It does *not* work for Volatile missions, where you need to shoot the reactor weakpoints on the Obelisk. They will not position correctly to get a shot off to begin with, nor will they hold at all.

6 minutes ago, Archaeopelta said:

Park the ship 6km away from the missile platform, get into your amesha or prefered AW, fly under the missile platform, use amesha 4th near the main platform door, press L to open the tactical map, hack all the missile turrets to your advantage (they will help you from now on destroying any possible enemy approaching the station), tp back to your ship, setup the NPC to pilot while you board the station. There are more things you can hack while fighting in AW like enemy turrets, turrets nest, etc. You get intrinsecs for doing it too.

This is *a* solution, but not an ideal one. It's slow, and frankly I shouldn't need to tell my piloting 5 pilot that missiles are bad. Ideally you should need to enter the tac menu as little as possible, as it restricts the player's control and, honestly, it's not a horribly well designed UI for navigating quickly.

There is much more things in RJ than people does not know because they refuse to stop rushing for just 2 seconds it really baffles me. Then all one reads is: clunky, horrible, bugged and so on.

I know same as everyone else time is precious but, for me at least, in between a 5min run or a 6min run there is no difference, well there is a huge one: if you know when to hit the breaks to apply a hacking that will cost you 5sec to do, for example, that will make the mission 200% easier, why not do it every time??

Hell I converted once all the enemy base turrets in the whole map and it was like a Star Wars battle (I did this before NPC crewmates were a thing and my RJ ship wasn't that good) and it was fun and awesome. That's all about this in the end, it's a game and one plays it for fun and if you get efficient on top of it then the better.

And no, I described a routine about hacking the missile turrets, once you know how to do that routine solo and in an efficient way it's far from slow, it's a huge advantage and help against boarding parties.

1 hour ago, MasterControl said:

They actually already do this if you're sitting in the FA, and pretty well in fact. The only complaint I actually have about how they handle crewships is that they don't try to get behind them, and when they do they love to shoot out the engines, but that's.. fair enough, I guess.

huh, mine didn't do that when I've tried, just circled around it. >_>

30 minutes ago, Infirito said:

huh, mine didn't do that when I've tried, just circled around it. >_>

1 hour ago, Archaeopelta said:

I got my elite pilot/gunner and tried him out today.   Worked Pretty freaking awesome!! 

Solo veil prox grineer side void storms...  I would had a blast with the space battles and then it was just the bases left like normal..  After I boarded a base I would flip my gunner to pilot.

Watching AI crew members is new to me so im not sure what im looking at most of the time lol.  The base looked like a squid...  and the pilot seemed to be shooting from very far away even though I was well under sling range when I went off the ship.  

The pilot banged out the radiators pretty fast, just a tad slower that instantly. Soooooo much better than me having to go back to the RJ to do it myself.

------------

Now I just have to learn that if I have a 2 man squad I can and should(lol) head into the bases and help out....  and let my AI pilot do the outside.  

Had no reason to test the pilot with artillery... if im not in a base I drive my boat.   AKA artillery never moves on me.

Archived