Change of plans, Tenno... [esc] > [abort mission]

Schwitzer

The thing where Lotus pulls a surprise Exterminate mission on you was amusing the first first few times. However, it's gotten old and now I'm more likely to just immediately abort the mission instead. Please, Lotus, give it up. It stopped being cute a long time ago.

• Like 20

Don't know, its kinda nice for diverse gameplay. Although it does reduces efficiency of kuva capture rolls...

If anything we need more of this. Extermination turns into Capture, Defense turns into Survival, Survival turns into Defense... Random boss fights...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Schwitzer said:

The thing where Lotus pulls a surprise Exterminate mission on you was amusing the first first few times. However, it's gotten old and now I'm more likely to just immediately abort the mission instead. Please, Lotus, give it up. It stopped being cute a long time ago.

I'm with you when I select a capture and it gets turned into an exterm, but when a mobile defense gets changed to an exterminate I'm fine with it since its faster.

I generally select missions because I want to do a specific mission, or because its the fastest and least painful method of ____. When it gets changed into something that takes longer I abort and go again.

• Like 5

The first few times that the mission changed it was cute. Occasionally, though, it can be annoying. When you've got time for a fast Capture mission and it changes to a long, drawn out Exterminate. Or when the enemies are powerful and you're only prepared for a quick run past them and then extract. This 'problem' is similar to the difficulty encountered when I load up on unranked equipment - and get a surprise visit from Stalker or some other assassin-type enemy.

In my opinion, mission changes shouldn't be increased.

When playing capture missions for fun, it can be a nice change of pace.

When playing capture missions 100 times in a row and praying for the Lich weapon you want, making zero progress every run and getting increasingly frustrated, it's *flip desk*.

• Like 5

For whatever is worth, and after revisiting that part on the NPE where Lotus tasks you with completing a second objective within a mission at an increased risk, it's something that could work.
Could being the keyword here, because it'd have to be well implemented.

Currently, as many design decisions in Warframe are, it is not.

And because I don't like to rag on certain additions without presenting a hypothetical of what it could've been, y'know, to really put salt in the wound, consider the following.

Multiple mission objectives become standardized. All mission types, except for endless missions, have, at least, two objectives. A main objective, and a side objective which is entirely optional. Meaning, you can extract right away. Whenever you hover over a specific node on the star chart, you see what two objectives you're being served. These objectives rotate every once in a while. Say, twice an hour, for the sake of having something moderately reasonable. Completing one objective immediately triggers a second one, and upon completing both, you recieve the rewards befitting of both objectives.
Ideally, Extermination and Survival would be two mission types that wouldn't trigger after finishing one objective, but would remain active for as long as the mission lasts. IE: Instead of Mobile Defense and then Extermination, you're doing Mobile Defense and Extermination at the same time. However, you wouldn't need to complete both objectives to extract, you'd just get doubled rewards if you do.
In keeping to what the mission in the NPE was trying to go for, I'd say that making it so there's a degree of difficulty added wouldn't be too out of place. Perhaps, upon completion of an objective, the enemy's level is ramped up by, say, 10. While lategame, it won't matter much, it should still prove a meaningful decision during the earlygame.

Needless to say, all of these would apply to Steel Path.
Hell, since Steel Path is the supposed "Hard Mode", it could be done so that there's three total objectives. Two which are mandatory, and a third one, which is optional. And while I can understand the concern of these becoming something along the lines of the Void Storms, or "Too time-consuming, but not rewarding enough", it could be done so the rewards scale from the number of objectives completed. EG: Complete Objective 1, you get a Void Relic. Complete Objective 2, you get a bunch of Endo. Complete both, and you get another Void Relic of the same loot pool, ideally upgraded; and doubled Endo to add to the amount you already got.
Essentially, it'd take your rewards, and give you a second set of better rewards on top of the ones you already obtained. In the case of Steel Path, it'd give you a third set of better rewards, to add to the other two sets.

Of course, this will never happen, but wishful thinking is always fun.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily mind the 'change of plans...', especially on Mobile Defense missions as others have pointed out. My problem with it stems from when it happens. Without fail it will either be when...

a) I'm trying to farm relics in the void, solo, as fast as possible and inevitably this will happen three missions in a row (often with Stalker showing up as an added bonus). Or,
b) I'm trying to do a quick capture mission in the two minutes I have before I head out somewhere.

I can't count the number of times I've shut down my PS4 in the middle of the game due to these happening. Anger management has really helped me to stop throwing my controller...

MR 0 completes tutorial mission

"Oh this is nice"

MR 0 loads up first mission on earth

*not 20 seconds into the first mission*...

"Change of plans Tenno, there have been numerous sightings of high value targets in your area (SP level corrupted heavy gunner), I need you to exterminate them as quickly as you can"

*8 hours later after chewing through the first enemies armor bar*

"Connection to the Warframe server has been lost"

Player goes to uninstall Warframe

*While trying to uninstall Warframe a strange but yet familiar voice fills the air*

"Change of plans [L]user, your files on your computer have been infected with a virus and you need to delete them as quickly as possible"

Edited by (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK
  • Like 1

Wow, yall are freaking out at suddenly needing to kill 20-30 enemies instead of speeding to the end of a capture mission? Good thing it can't turn into an interception or defection so you don't really freak out.

For people that are farming relics/sisters/liches or whatever, if you're at the point of doing those things you probably should be at the point where you can obliterate enemies without any trouble. If an extra 30-60 seconds on your mission is that painful to you, it sounds like you don't actually like the core loop of the game and you're already treating it like a job.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

Wow, yall are freaking out at suddenly needing to kill 20-30 enemies instead of speeding to the end of a capture mission? Good thing it can't turn into an interception or defection so you don't really freak out.

For people that are farming relics/sisters/liches or whatever, if you're at the point of doing those things you probably should be at the point where you can obliterate enemies without any trouble. If an extra 30-60 seconds on your mission is that painful to you, it sounds like you don't actually like the core loop of the game and you're already treating it like a job.

It's less so it being a job than it is being efficient. The core loop in my eyes is getting gear, mastering it, getting the next and moving on. Which means that time spent not doing something related to that, is effectively time wasted.

And time wasted adds up when you have 500 odd weapons in the game, near 50 standard warframes, plus the prime variants, companions, etc.

Understandably, people will be upset their mission isn't 100% efficient because of some RNG value that seems both influenced and completely random.

Though, getting actually angry at a videogame is something to be concerned about.

Edited by DarknessNightshade
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DarknessNightshade said:

And time wasted adds up when you have 500 odd weapons in the game, near 50 standard warframes, plus the prime variants, companions, etc.

One person's time wasted is another's time played. But then I'm stubborn and own or have owned everything but the founder items, ambassador, and the Tenet melee weapons. The farming of those is definitely still out of whack.

2 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

One person's time wasted is another's time played. But then I'm stubborn and own or have owned everything but the founder items, ambassador, and the Tenet melee weapons. The farming of those is definitely still out of whack.

I mean, everyone has their social time too, just progress in this game towards completion isn't exactly rewarding for the people that set up squads for dead planet nodes, people with different limits as to how long they play, and being forced into teamplay regarding killing sisters/liches for optimal rewards, etc.

DE is making an effort to make the game more sociable, but the lack of proper in-depth tutorials and such make it a burden when you gotta spend time getting people up to scratch before you can casually play with them on the same playing field, and is a major point of friction many people have reported on and been ignored because apparently it doesn't matter for retention.

I'm not surprised at all that those wanting to get their endgame guns quicker get frustrated by having to sidetrack, especially with abysmal chances of a gun you actually want and the various factions/bosses that can interfere.

26 minutes ago, DarknessNightshade said:

It's less so it being a job than it is being efficient. The core loop in my eyes is getting gear, mastering it, getting the next and moving on. Which means that time spent not doing something related to that, is effectively time wasted.

Understandably, people will be upset their mission isn't 100% efficient because of some RNG value that seems both influenced and completely random.

Though, getting actually angry at a videogame is something to be concerned about.

There's a lot to get. The thought of rushing to get everything, oof. I'm just glad that it's mostly fairly easy to aim towards a singular thing, and in the meantime gaining progress to multiple other things. I remember early rushing, and change of plans was like "Argh, I was so close to another chance to get the thing I was looking for"

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

10 часов назад, Artekkor сказал:

If anything we need more of this. Extermination turns into Capture, Defense turns into Survival, Survival turns into Defense... Random boss fights...

Judging by your account age you should have remembered we had this. Spy turning into exterminate to not a minute later turn into raid (old raid mission type, not what people ask now) to turn into capture to turn into spy again and then a mobile def in about 30 seconds. Make up your mind, woman!

Currently the only case this change of plans is justified to me is when you are guarantied to have exterminate after being spotted in too many spy vault. If you can't be sneaky, why not go all out.

5 часов назад, Darth_Predator сказал:

Currently the only case this change of plans is justified to me is when you are guarantied to have exterminate after being spotted in too many spy vault. If you can't be sneaky, why not go all out.

Oh yeah, i like that one. Its kinda like a punishment for sucking at stealth without actually failing the mission. Wonder if its possible to come up with something similiar for other modes.

17 hours ago, Artekkor said:

Don't know, its kinda nice for diverse gameplay.

Switching the mission you did a million times to another mission that you didn't want to be doing but also already did a million times isn't something I would call diverse gameplay.

Especially given multiple types of capture missions are already short Exterminates to begin with [Fissure, Lich], the change of plans just extends the exterminate longer.

The game also already has a bounty system that offers "varied" missions in a sequence. Which is still just as repetitive to most people.

Edited by Yamazuki

14 hours ago, DarknessNightshade said:

DE is making an effort to make the game more sociable

I agree that they're trying to encourage team play. They've even said as much in their twitch stream events. I don't think their efforts are going to be successful with a lot of gamers.

• Public Matchmaking problems:
    • teammates are far more powerful, and you just chase after them
    • teammates are new, and you end up carrying them
    • no teammates show up and you have difficulty completing mission
    • teammates have a different goal than you (i.e. complete quickly vs. Simaris scanning vs. caches, vault runs, resources . . . etc.)
    • different teams every time, so there's no team spirit or continuity - no sense of the teammates playing style

In my limited experience with Warframe, team play DOES work well in the radshare squads. We all have the same goal: cracking the relic quickly. And even a lame player like me can feel like they're contributing because maybe the RNG will bless the relic that they bring to the mission.

6 минут назад, Lotus-123 сказал:

teammates are new, and you end up carrying them

Depends on you ("the carry") though. I don't mind turning off "rabbit on crack" speed and not actually engaging in mission that much. Cause I don't want the mission to turn into your first point for the new guys and take away their fun of killing stuff.

11 минут назад, Lotus-123 сказал:

different teams every time, so there's no team spirit or continuity - no sense of the teammates playing style

I would also add "people are just refusing to engage with their team in chat". Lack of communication often results in annoyance and frustration for everyone involved.

"Can we go to 8? I need Khora BP", "What I do in this railjack thing?" during the mission or "Anyone up for another run?" when extracting can change "team experience" a lot.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Darth_Predator said:

I would also add "people are just refusing to engage with their team in chat". Lack of communication often results in annoyance and frustration for everyone involved.

I think you've brought up an important point. Communication would probably make a world of difference in team play. Speaking from my own inexperience however, the team chat is mostly invisible to me while I'm desperately trying to survive and make sense of all the various indicators on the screen. I have used the chat, but mostly before and after the mission. A squad voice channel might enhance teamwork, but I've never seen it actually work in Warframe (although I have played with one person who used Discord for that purpose). . . Thinking back on the episodes of The Guild, they used voice chat extensively. Guess I'll have to check my equipment for some sort of microphone problem. Do you think other players are wondering why I won't say anything?

31 минуту назад, Lotus-123 сказал:

Do you think other players are wondering why I won't say anything?

I'm not the person you should be asking that question. I disable voice chat the moment I see it exists in the game. My overall experience with voice chats in online games was not good, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. Even if I use warframe's built in voice the fact that I can't keep talking to people I play with when not in a squad is also a  deal breaker.

Also I often play with a friend and we are talking over discord anyways. So can't help you here, but I can imagine people in pub squads I was running in could use the voice and were assuming I ignored them.