Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

accidentally spawned a lich - how do I get rid of it?

Lotus-123

Question

The lich is annoying and makes gameplay a pain with the constant interruptions. I think the game messed up by throwing a lich at a player in a low-level nightmare mission. I've done a little research on the process of getting rid of it. Since I don't have a single requiem mod yet, this annoying stinker is gong to be bothering me for a long time. I guess there are times when it isn't a good idea to kill everything in sight and 'x' on dialogs without reading up on what it means to 'spawn a lich'.

5 minutes ago, (PSN)Dr_Bruiser said:

As to the frequent nemesis interruptions, don't forget that these things all drop unique items.

Uh.. I think that the drops only happen if you win. So for me, these high-powered assassins are an "opportunity" to die.

31 minutes ago, Keiyadan said:

and what would you lose if lichs would be removeable realy? and i mean just get rid of them not getting anything for doing so.

well.....what would i loose? nothing. but...the entire point of the lich system would be lost.

it is a nemesis system....its supposed to be annoying and a pita. the lich is your personal enemy...the entire system is designed to introduce a problem for you. if you dont want that problem...dont do the mission....dont chase the larvling/candidate...and definitely DONT kill it.

having it removable would take away the 1 and only reason its there in the first place.

6 hours ago, Lotus-123 said:

The "bug" in my view, is that DE shouldn't be giving a lich 'quest' to a player this early in the game. A nightmare mission in the 20's - and the player has absolutely no requiem mods. Either of those situations should make it obvious that the player is a long way from being able to confront a lich. But then again, I'm not a game designer. Maybe game psychology shows that throwing huge monsters at the players will challenge them to keep coming back.

That is not a bug, it is a feature you don't like.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. Before a certain MR, even if you down a larvaling it should give you nothing. Especially since some of these weapons are higher MR rated and yet anyone can get them through the lich. It just shouldn't create a lich.

The sisters are a lot better in this sense and DE really should go back and work something out like that for the kuva liches. The only complaint I would have is that would make it take sooo much longer to get the weapon you want, as with the sisters currently. (Though it isn't that bad, tbf.)

8 hours ago, Soy77 said:

Well.. first of all, the hold down button mechanic is new. For the longest time it was simply press the button. So it shouldn't be too hard to understand why so many people accidentally pressed the button. Lily there was trying to reload, personally i thought i was doing a finisher, etc.

But more importantly, it doesn't tell newer players what does holding the button do. It shows picture of a weapon, and a prompt. What's happening here? Will i get the weapon if i hold this button? New players have absolutely zero idea that they'll need to farm relics, open them, then hunt clues, and put it all together to face a lich that's probably too strong for them.

I never claimed that adding such warning will "solve" the issue. It gives warning. Some newer players will stop to think, instead of just mash the prompted button. Videogames put warnings all the time. Final Fantasy put warnings before you enter dungeons with no way back. Just the other day i played a dating sim that puts warning when i was about to seal the deal with one girl, that I won't be able to approach other girls if i do. Warnings have been used in videogames for a really long time, and they works.

As for the helminth example, as i said i never claim it to be the ultimate solution. Warning signs are always on electric fences yet people got electrocuted all the time. It's not a warframe issue it's human issue, we're stupid.

ah my bad then assumed op made the lich recently sry for misconstruing ur words i also agree warframe needs more warnings and overall better explaining on systems for new players 

To be honest, to be able to fully kill your lich the first time you might end up in lvl 60 something missions, up to 100+ if s/he's stabbed 4 times.

War Within being a pre-requisite means by that point you should have at least some game knowledge, although like everything else in the game, it's the presentation that gets you, or rather, lack of a proper explanation (a basic rundown is only given to you after killing a candidate)

I agree that putting a weapon on the screen with a hint is straight up baiting the player into a situation they'd rather not be in.

Which means now this guy has to go acquire 3 of 8 mods which you only get a chance of getting from relics, which have a chance of dropping from Thralls.

While it is an abrupt tall glass of get gud, I doubt anyone actually did their first Lich solo, which is good in that enforces people to work together, but it's done in such a way that it doesn't really accomplish anything, you're not really told to better your builds besides a single quest requirement where you slot 3 mods in your warframe in the tutorial, making it so they have to rely on existing players or the Wiki for assistance.

I'm not a fan of it as I was one of those players that got sucked into spawning one, thinking I'd just earned a cool gun randomly, by that point I was prepared but others aren't so lucky.

I'm back to being confused and upset with the game. My lich claimed Earth, and interrupts with stupid comments whenever I click on that planet. It's annoying, but I'm trying to accept it. So... I'm doing a normal survival on Ceres with a public squad, busily hacking away, and the game freezes. Completely unresponsive for at least 5 seconds (though it felt like 15). Then the effing lich starts talking, then the game resumes. Why is it on the wrong planet? More importantly, why is it screwing up the game? I was almost ready to force kill the program when the game finally started responding again. This is not a good gaming experience.

12 hours ago, Lotus-123 said:

I'm back to being confused and upset with the game. My lich claimed Earth, and interrupts with stupid comments whenever I click on that planet. It's annoying, but I'm trying to accept it. So... I'm doing a normal survival on Ceres with a public squad, busily hacking away, and the game freezes. Completely unresponsive for at least 5 seconds (though it felt like 15). Then the effing lich starts talking, then the game resumes. Why is it on the wrong planet? More importantly, why is it screwing up the game? I was almost ready to force kill the program when the game finally started responding again. This is not a good gaming experience.

Are you sure that was your lich?  If another player in your squad had previously converted a lich and had been downed during the mission, their lich may have appeared to assist your squad.  They can appear for a few minutes, announcing themselves when they appear and will send another message when they de-spawn, assuming the mission isn't over by then.  

22 minutes ago, (PSN)Dr_Bruiser said:

Are you sure that was your lich?

Not sure how I would know if it wasn't my lich. Looked like mine and I've never had a lich pop up in a mission before I made the mistake of spawning one.

Regardless of whose lich it was, freezing the game should never happen. Honestly, this game has way too many nemesis adversaries that can pop up in your mission. When you consider Stalker, Grustrag Three, Juggernauts, the various syndicates, and probably others that I've forgotten or not encountered yet, it's almost a miracle that we can get any mission done without interruption. I'd like to have the lich system deleted - or at least give players a way to silence him on the back burner like I've done with the Quests that are too difficult for me right now.

That was not your lich, I am sure of it. It was someone else's lich that had shown up because the player was downed or close to it as (PSN)Dr_Bruiser said.

The microlag usually happens when some specter or lich spawns in the game and you are not the host.

You need to deliberately hunt for your lich in order to show up, that's not a random thing.

41 minutes ago, Lotus-123 said:

Not sure how I would know if it wasn't my lich. Looked like mine and I've never had a lich pop up in a mission before I made the mistake of spawning one.

When they pop up to talk, their name will appear below their picture.  If you're near them, their name will also appear if you aim your crosshairs at them just like any other enemy would.  Liches all share a similar aesthetic, so it is difficult to tell one from another at a glance.  Anyway, converted liches don't show up that often, but it isn't totally uncommon either.  It will happen more often if you play with more experienced players who have converted liches and in more difficult content where such players get downed/killed more often.  

Your lich should only interrupt if you are doing missions on an occupied planet and occasionally when you log in or enter your orbiter.  I get that it can be annoying, but you'll either just need to live with it, do the work to convert or vanquish it, or quit the game.  I hope it doesn't aggravate you so much that you would actually quit over this.

As to the frequent nemesis interruptions, don't forget that these things all drop unique items.  Other players will even go out of their way to increase spawn chances (or pay resources for beacons to summon them) for a chance to get these rewards, so maybe try to look at it as an opportunity rather than an annoyance when they do spawn.  You might get a rare weapon BP or something.

I won't defend the game freezing or locking up.  That is straight-up annoying.

5 minutes ago, --AR--Khalox said:

microlag

"microlag" that's what you're calling it?

I call it an "Amazingly Long Time Where The Game Stops Responding And You Think It Crashed" - or ALTWTGSRAYTIC for short.

:-)

Seriously though, Warframe is a fast-paced, twitch-reflex game that has changed my expectations in regards to response time. I find that I'm much more impatient with any slow responses, whether from computers or humans. (Maybe I should cut back a bit on Warframe). To have the entire game just freeze for 5+ seconds isn't good.

vor einer Stunde schrieb cha0sWyrM:

theres zero excuses for "accidentally" creating a lich. ive done quite a bit of liches by now.....i dont even understand how people could make the claim of an accident. its amusing to me to see people still complaining about this instead of just paying attention to what they are doing. its not des fault players are careless.

i see your point i know if you not exp it yourself you wont belive it and i for the most part dont want to talk about every bug i encounter but there alot of them and if they not at least reach the categorie of game brakers i is wasted time for me to tell anybody because nobody cares
like you too it is our fault that the thing happens there are people complaining for a reason if you cant get behind it what is in for you to play them down.
we for the most part want that the game gets better at handeling the things we encounter and nothing is wrong with that.
but as my exp shows it is a waste of time and only adds stress where no stress would be needed.

and what would you lose if lichs would be removeable realy? and i mean just get rid of them not getting anything for doing so.

so have a nice day or something

On 2021-08-12 at 11:36 PM, cha0sWyrM said:

im calling shenanigans. i flat out dont believe that it happened that way. i believe you believe it...but im willing to bet a diddle-eyed-joe to a damned if i know...that you pressed a button. could i be wrong? sure.....but...you pressed a button. not only did you press the button...but you picked the mission...and you chased the larvling down......or are you claiming those 2 things were also accidents?

theres zero excuses for "accidentally" creating a lich. ive done quite a bit of liches by now.....i dont even understand how people could make the claim of an accident. its amusing to me to see people still complaining about this instead of just paying attention to what they are doing. its not des fault players are careless.

zero excuses if you already know what liches are.
there are times when we demonstrate our proficiency to accentuate the rookie's stupidity, this is not one of those times.
lich quest is very poorly introduced -it doesn't have any introduction at all. 100% information about lich quest are from outside sources, inside the game, warframe never prepare players that this quest even exist.

so for newer rookies, it's a picture of something that might be a weapon, on top of a downed enemy, and a button prompt. 
what do gamers do when we see button prompt? we press the dam button.

this one particular dam button happen to have no explanation as well. you know in tomb raider, or uncharted, or gears of war, the prompt usually decorated with words like "JUMP" or "SHOOT", or "TAKE COVER". well in liches, it's just a plain humble "X". 
what do rookies need to do? make everyone in the squad wait and open google to learn what's it about? 

if you claim that we have to know beforehand about every missions in every videogames we play, i will be the one who'll be calling shenanigans.

2 hours ago, Soy77 said:

zero excuses if you already know what liches are.
there are times when we demonstrate our proficiency to accentuate the rookie's stupidity, this is not one of those times.
lich quest is very poorly introduced -it doesn't have any introduction at all. 100% information about lich quest are from outside sources, inside the game, warframe never prepare players that this quest even exist.

so for newer rookies, it's a picture of something that might be a weapon, on top of a downed enemy, and a button prompt. 
what do gamers do when we see button prompt? we press the dam button.

this one particular dam button happen to have no explanation as well. you know in tomb raider, or uncharted, or gears of war, the prompt usually decorated with words like "JUMP" or "SHOOT", or "TAKE COVER". well in liches, it's just a plain humble "X". 
what do rookies need to do? make everyone in the squad wait and open google to learn what's it about? 

if you claim that we have to know beforehand about every missions in every videogames we play, i will be the one who'll be calling shenanigans.

yeesh.

exactly which part of that supports the claim that he got his lich via a bug? cuz...you know....THATS what i was calling shenanigans on.

he didnt make the claim that it was an accident, or he didnt know what he was doing....he claimed the game "insta killed" the larvling and just GAVE him a lich he didnt want or take actions to get.

so...yeah...shenanigans.

31 minutes ago, cha0sWyrM said:

yeesh.

exactly which part of that supports the claim that he got his lich via a bug? cuz...you know....THATS what i was calling shenanigans on.

he didnt make the claim that it was an accident, or he didnt know what he was doing....he claimed the game "insta killed" the larvling and just GAVE him a lich he didnt want or take actions to get.

so...yeah...shenanigans.

okay... so the person who initially started claiming "bug" was that psn silver guy who only made one reply and never show up again.
i call nonsense as well. he probably just doesn't have english as mother language or was trying to make an "it's a feature not a bug" joke. because warframe does not just automatically give people lich, and i also don't see how it could happen, even as a bug.

i'm absolutely sure that op owns his mistake of accidentally killing the larving. he just lamented at the fact that he was so uninformed of what killing larvings do: it spawns liches.

lilyraccune that you quoted, i believe wasn't trying to support that a bug exist, only share a story of how people have accidentally killed larvings.
and it make sense, trying to reload near a downed larving before the hold-prompt update, will make you accidentally kill the larving.

as for keiyadan... yeah... i was pretty sure by saying "instakilled" he meant he did pressed the button by mistake, not the game automatically killed the larving against his will. but reading the post again, right now i'm not so sure. he could be trying to call bug as well... which i would oppose too if there are no evidence.

idk what lotus123 is smoking, he claimed bugs, then he backed up, then he partially quoted people's answers that doesn't have to anything do with the bugs... i just don't want to go there, you deal with him if you want to, mate.

the rest of the guys here like spicydino seems to also not sold on the idea that a bug can kill larvings against player's will. so i'm with you, and them. at least until someone provide solid evidences.

On 2021-08-12 at 11:28 AM, Lotus-123 said:

The lich is annoying and makes gameplay a pain with the constant interruptions. I think the game messed up by throwing a lich at a player in a low-level nightmare mission. I've done a little research on the process of getting rid of it. Since I don't have a single requiem mod yet, this annoying stinker is gong to be bothering me for a long time. I guess there are times when it isn't a good idea to kill everything in sight and 'x' on dialogs without reading up on what it means to 'spawn a lich'.

The best and easiest advice I can think of, seeing you have no requiem mods yet is to find a player with a Kuva Lich so you get the murmurs from stabbing the thralls, Sisters Hounds don't count, they're different murmurs.

Tag along with them while they fight their Lich and get the mods known by the murmurs (which are damn slow) you'll be getting, if the player is kind enough to give you the three mods that have become known to you, then start to stab it and work out the order.

Yes it'll be tedious but I feel it's better than trying to get the requiem relics then cracking said relics and hope for a requiem mod.

You're in a Clan, can the members help you out?

Seen so many of these threads where a player ended up with a Lich they didn't want, that tells me players are not reading popups and DE also need to make it more clear what the player is getting into. I think that's why they did the new Sisters that way to make it harder to do by accident and work them into a story sort of.

I just wish DE would even turn the larvling stab into a screen like the convert/vanquish screen with big text, then players would see what they are about to get into and hit exit.

Edit: You're MR 18, not some new player, you should know.

12 hours ago, Soy77 said:

the rest of the guys here like spicydino seems to also not sold on the idea that a bug can kill larvings against player's will. so i'm with you, and them. at least until someone provide solid evidences.

It's utter BS, I've done well over 200 Adaro runs for levelling gear, each tme spawning a larvling and never had it accidentally become a lich after I downed it but didn't stab.

1 hour ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

It's utter BS, I've done well over 200 Adaro runs for levelling gear, each tme spawning a larvling and never had it accidentally become a lich after I downed it but didn't stab.

It won't be the first time a player screwed up in warframe and try blaming a bug instead of their own incompetence.

I just wonder how the conversation went from "DE's failure to inform and warn players about liches", to "a bug automatically assigned a lich to me against my will as i was peacefully sipping tea in my orbiter".

=============

By the way, totally out of topic, this is not the first time i heard about your adaro runs, zilch

So i tried it, but didn't get the result i was hoping for. And i had affinity booster too. I got like from unranked just to level 7 in one run. Melee was a little more successful because i can just run invisible frames and get stealth bonus kills on every enemies...

What's the catch there? Do I need to do something specific? Certain focus school, warframe, mods?

7 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

It won't be the first time a player screwed up in warframe and try blaming a bug instead of their own incompetence.

I just wonder how the conversation went from "DE's failure to inform and warn players about liches", to "a bug automatically assigned a lich to me against my will as i was peacefully sipping tea in my orbiter".

=============

By the way, totally out of topic, this is not the first time i heard about your adaro runs, zilch

So i tried it, but didn't get the result i was hoping for. And i had affinity booster too. I got like from unranked just to level 7 in one run. Melee was a little more successful because i can just run invisible frames and get stealth bonus kills on every enemies...

What's the catch there? Do I need to do something specific? Certain focus school, warframe, mods?

In terms of focus, Naramon helps. But it's all about maintaining the stealth multiplier at 5x stealth affinity. If you don't do that you won't get anything, I'll record a run later for you, after work. If you alert an enemy you lose the multiplier and without it you won't get anything. Were you levelling a weapon or frame?

28 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

In terms of focus, Naramon helps. But it's all about maintaining the stealth multiplier at 5x stealth affinity. If you don't do that you won't get anything, I'll record a run later for you, after work. If you alert an enemy you lose the multiplier and without it you won't get anything. Were you levelling a weapon or frame?

God, of course... gotta keep the multiplier up, I'm dumb lol

I tried it with melee and primaries. Primaries was just total fail cuz i wasn't getting any stealth kills.

If it's possible I'd like to learn more about leveling both weapons and frames.

23 hours ago, Soy77 said:

God, of course... gotta keep the multiplier up, I'm dumb lol

I tried it with melee and primaries. Primaries was just total fail cuz i wasn't getting any stealth kills.

If it's possible I'd like to learn more about leveling both weapons and frames.

Yep so, basically I'll give you a rundown.

2 player is by far the easiest way to level a frame, Player 1 uses Equinox with Enemy Radar, range, efficiency and duration, puts everything to sleep. Player 2 brings a unranked frame, a melee weapon and that's it, no others. Run Naramon focus for better affinity gain from melee, use a melee that can 1 shot the enemies, you may need to use finishers on any bombards or heavy gunners. You need to watch your map, a filled red triangle means the enemy is alerted, killing it will lose your stealth bonus. Each time you lose your bonus you waste killing 5 enemies to get it back to 500% bonus affinity. If you see an alerted triangle, your team mate should kill it silently(Baza is nice or a melee). Alternatively you can kill it with your operator and you will not lose your stealth bonus. Kill them all without losing your bonus and you will max your frame in 1 run.

Ok so single player is harder but possible thanks to Helminth. Subsume Rest onto whatever frame you wish to lvl, MAKE SURE to subsume as ability 1. The trick here is that you only have a lvl 1 Rest which is shorter ranged and won't affect as many at once, meaning you have to be more careful and take a bit more time. Alternatively you can get your frame to lvl 10 where Rest becomes lvl 3 and then go back in and do it like you would with the previous method, only you're also now the Equinox.

For weaponry, you need silencer mods ie Silent Battery, Hush etc. Obviously melee doesn't need this. Take only the weapon you wish to level so as not to share affinity to an already maxed weapon(THIS IS A STUPID MECHANIC DE WHY DOES IT EXIST STILL). And you can take either Equinox or my preferred method, Loki with Rest subsumed. Put them all to sleep, kill them all while asleep, don't lose your bonus, enjoy your maxed weapon in no time at all.

For your weaponry to ensure they kill easily you want either Smite Grineer mod or Corrosive on your weapon and things like Finisher damage for Bombards and general damage mods are decent too.

Here's how it looks when levelling a weapon, I'm a bit rusty so it's pretty slow. You have to practice watching the map for alerted enemies as well as their animations and spotting bombards to use finishers.

4 hours ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Yep so, basically I'll give you a rundown.

2 player is by far the easiest way to level a frame, Player 1 uses Equinox with Enemy Radar, range, efficiency and duration, puts everything to sleep. Player 2 brings a unranked frame, a melee weapon and that's it, no others. Run Naramon focus for better affinity gain from melee, use a melee that can 1 shot the enemies, you may need to use finishers on any bombards or heavy gunners. You need to watch your map, a filled red triangle means the enemy is alerted, killing it will lose your stealth bonus. Each time you lose your bonus you waste killing 5 enemies to get it back to 500% bonus affinity. If you see an alerted triangle, your team mate should kill it silently(Baza is nice or a melee). Alternatively you can kill it with your operator and you will not lose your stealth bonus. Kill them all without losing your bonus and you will max your frame in 1 run.

Ok so single player is harder but possible thanks to Helminth. Subsume Rest onto whatever frame you wish to lvl, MAKE SURE to subsume as ability 1. The trick here is that you only have a lvl Rest which is shorter ranged and won't affect as many at once, meaning you have to be more careful and take a bit more time. Alternatively you can get your frame to lvl 10 where Rest becomes lvl 3 and then go back in and do it like you would with the previous method, only you're also now the Equinox.

For weaponry, you need silencer mods ie Silent Battery, Hush etc. Obviously melee doesn't need this. Take only the weapon you wish to level so as not to share affinity to an already maxed weapon(THIS IS A STUPID MECHANIC DE WHY DOES IT EXIST STILL). And you can take either Equinox or my preferred method, Loki with Rest subsumed. Put them all to sleep, kill them all while asleep, don't lose your bonus, enjoy your maxed weapon in no time at all.

For your weaponry to ensure they kill easily you want either Smite Grineer mod of Corrosive on your weapon and things like Finisher damage for Bombards and general damage mods are decent too.

Here's how it looks when levelling a weapon, I'm a bit rusty so it's pretty slow. You have to practice watching the map for alerted enemies as well as their animations and spotting bombards to use finishers.

Got it. Will definitely give it a go.

Appreciate the video as well, thanks!

My suggestion if you cannot get rid of the lich solo is to make sure you are in public and enter missions hoping that there are other players there already or where you can wait until someone else joins.

A second player will make it a lot easier.
The end mission is the same, you can just try and join a party or wait in your railjack until others join the fight. 

Archived