Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

hotkeys/key-bindings for menu options

Venyxos

I think it would be handy to have hotkey assignments for various toggles in the controls and interface options menus within the key-bindings options...

For example:

-under Controls:
--Align Attacks to Camera toggle
--Melee Auto Targeting toggle
--Camera Tracks Melee Target toggle

-under Interface:
--basically all of the toggles...
---Lock Map Rotation
---Use Sniper Scopes
---Show FPS
---Show "clem" Name
---Mark Pet
---Item Labels
--like... all of them - they don't need default key-bindings
---things like affinity numbers, damage numbers, etc. maybe not - but Map Rotation, Mark Pet/Label Items fo' sho'

Thanks for reading!
-Veny

3 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

Star Trek Wow GIF

This is an interesting idea... do you have any personal situations where having these toggles would be helpful to you?

I can't think of one where I'd want a toggle on those settings, I was going to say show FPS but we all know that's a little bar at the bottom of the screen that's not in the way anyway.

2 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

I can't think of one where I'd want a toggle on those settings, I was going to say show FPS but we all know that's a little bar at the bottom of the screen that's not in the way anyway.

Yeah, I feel the same way. But perhaps the OP has something in mind that we didn't think of.

The only toggle I personally would make use of is the "Camera tracks melee target" option. I like having it on, but there area the occational times when I need it off (arbitration drones), so I simply leave it off all the time.

On 2021-08-12 at 8:22 PM, Slayer-. said:

Just because you can't imagine a need doesn't mean thousands of other players might... 

Toggle Map should be obvious... It's very convenient to have it rotate when pursuing mission objectives, but when using as an actual map, its better to have it locked. Not to mention, it makes cardinal directions a thing... So say in a Dojo, you can say stuff like "the trade post is in the next room, North" and they know what you mean... I have my map locked by default and regularly confuse people with directions that would be painfully obvious if their map was locked...

As said previously by LillyRaccune - "Camera tracks melee target" and "Melee Attacks Align to Camera" are pretty obvious... When running missions, I prefer to attack off camera, without the auto-melee targeting, so you can run forward and cut things down as you pass them... However, things above or below you can be extremely hard to hit, like vent covers or cameras...

Having various labeling options bound to hotkeys should also be super obvious - almost every other procedurally generated dungeon crawler has them... Which Warframe is 100%, absolutely a procedurally generated dungeon crawler... Mostly due to people don't want to be swamped by HUD blips but may want to quickly check to see if something specific is laying around...

Thanks for participating?? Your post basically read like someone asking why DE included a toggle left shoulder/right shoulder perspective button... Its not necessary by any means but otherwise super convenient if you're looking for a feature like that... You have ZERO obligation to use it...

58 minutes ago, Venyxos said:

Thanks for participating?? Your post basically read like someone asking why DE included a toggle left shoulder/right shoulder perspective button... Its not necessary by any means but otherwise super convenient if you're looking for a feature like that... You have ZERO obligation to use it...

Actually, the burden of proof is on you. If you can't sell a reason to do something, it won't be done. What you are asking for isn't "click click turned it on", the proposed changes will require what is affectionately known as "spaghetti code" to make it work. That costs money.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but so far only thing you have suggested is a minor inconvenience. Also, please be more considerate with your choice of words because "[something] should be obvious" is not a legitimate or informative answer.

Here is an example (this type of arguement is often called a strawman):

Your company makes corkscrews, your job is to convince store owners from a foreign country to buy them. The store owners all tell you that you're wasting your time because their country has a prohibition against alcohol. Your possible solutions include: convincing them they will make money from your corkscrews, or going to the government to legalize alcohol. Either way, you must be the one to make a change or convince others that the change is good.

4 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

Actually, the burden of proof is on you. If you can't sell a reason to do something, it won't be done. What you are asking for isn't "click click turned it on", the proposed changes will require what is affectionately known as "spaghetti code" to make it work. That costs money.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but so far only thing you have suggested is a minor inconvenience. Also, please be more considerate with your choice of words because "[something] should be obvious" is not a legitimate or informative answer.

Here is an example (this type of arguement is often called a strawman):

Your company makes corkscrews, your job is to convince store owners from a foreign country to buy them. The store owners all tell you that you're wasting your time because their country has a prohibition against alcohol. Your possible solutions include: convincing them they will make money from your corkscrews, or going to the government to legalize alcohol. Either way, you must be the one to make a change or convince others that the change is good.

I already listed several examples, Capt Debate-Team

I didn't realize I was making a business presentation... 

L
O
L

5 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

What you are asking for isn't "click click turned it on", the proposed changes will require what is affectionately known as "spaghetti code" to make it work. That costs money.

this is painfully obvious given DE's decision to remain small and cow-tow to Founders... I don't even remember reading the bit on spaghetti code and made another "Off Topic" post about this very phenomenon you're illustration...

Its not OUR job, as players, to make it work... That's on DE. Period. Like, this is akin to a suggestion box, and you stopping me and saying "you know they need to PAY for these changes you're asking for, RIGHT!?" Like, the stance you've adopted here is absolutely pretentious and silly... If they don't want suggestions, they don't have to read them, lol

What's your actual point, bruh? You're clearly concerned they might waste resources on features like this? Features which are frankly QUITE COMMON in all kinds of games, particularly those in similar genres as warframe - lmao... 

On 2021-08-13 at 10:32 AM, LillyRaccune said:

Yeah, I feel the same way. But perhaps the OP has something in mind that we didn't think of.

The only toggle I personally would make use of is the "Camera tracks melee target" option. I like having it on, but there area the occational times when I need it off (arbitration drones), so I simply leave it off all the time.

Same, both of my settings are off all the time, I tested it out and it sometimes goes after the wrong enemy target and I found it a pain to use, I leave 'Align Attacks to Camera' on.

8 hours ago, Venyxos said:

Just because you can't imagine a need doesn't mean thousands of other players might... 

I stated I cannot think of any extra ones that I don't already use, just because I had an opinion and stated my thoughts does not mean it's the rule of thumb, like you stated some others may think of a use I cannot, thank you for the negative reply to my post. 

I do use toggles, the camera toggle, it makes it easier to peek around door jambs to take less damage from the enemy, try it out, left hand doors I look over the left shoulder and so on. 

The other toggles I use if you can even call them a toggle, more an Invert/Hold Abilities is to set an action on my Warframe skills.

On 2021-08-14 at 11:33 PM, Slayer-. said:

Same, both of my settings are off all the time, I tested it out and it sometimes goes after the wrong enemy target and I found it a pain to use, I leave 'Align Attacks to Camera' on.

Right - without a toggle, you basically just stick with your preference and deal with the situation which is less annoying to you...

I stated I cannot think of any extra ones that I don't already use, just because I had an opinion and stated my thoughts does not mean it's the rule of thumb, like you stated some others may think of a use I cannot, thank you for the negative reply to my post. 

The OP lists examples... Don't know what to tell ya, lol - Like having labels up or not should be obvious: If you're not looking for what the label type's object, you would turn it off... Like maybe sometimes I wanna know where my pet is, but most the time I don't care? Or most of the time, I just suck up all loot whereas others, I'm just looking for a quick argon... It would just be nice to punch a hot key vs flip back and forth between menu screens...

I do use toggles, the camera toggle, it makes it easier to peek around door jambs to take less damage from the enemy, try it out, left hand doors I look over the left shoulder and so on. 

The camera toggle is a fair example, and you can bind hotkeys for "hold sprint" and separately "toggle sprint" as well as for ADS I believe. These are usually toggle-less options in other games with UI, Targeting, and Camera usually getting toggle hotkeys... Why DE opted to do it backwards is... well not all that surprising and fairly common actually, lol

The other toggles I use if you can even call them a toggle, more an Invert/Hold Abilities is to set an action on my Warframe skills.

I would not call that a toggle, lol but it does give the option of one or the other within the game... Perhaps that option should get a toggle too? Maybe some players have loadouts where one is preferably, and others which the other setting is... I have no problem with DE working on fixes and additions like this... As they've said in recent Dev Vids... They're crippling themselves with content islands which they have to actively place time gates on, or else players would clear it in days, meanwhile - no-brainer game features which are almost mainstays in related genres still don't exist

-------------
(somewhat tangent thought)
Frankly, since I started playing Warframe, I've always been SUPER annoyed how you have to click menu after menu to do even a single thing... The gameplay is amazing... The games organization? Abysmal... I have no idea how the developers keep their projects straight given the interfaces (which do look pretty) they'll be forced into. Like your mailbox is like 3 clicks deep (or an orbiter node)... Your equipment is usally 3-6 clicks deep... Like just to make a swap! Unless you've made mountains of loadouts, you're just clicking through menus you rarely use to get to things you use on a regular basis... It's a nightmare, lol

Their is one thing I'd want back as a menu item, I miss the old filofax style menu you could click on it if someone put up a vote instead of hitting Exit or Esc five million times to get the the vote screen, you could click it and bring up the screen you wanted to click on.

Good luck and have fun trying to get DE to change, I've found when they do a UI upgrade sometimes we seem to lose some functionality to other things we had that we found were awesome but DE deemed not to be.

On 2021-08-16 at 10:38 PM, Slayer-. said:

Their is one thing I'd want back as a menu item, I miss the old filofax style menu you could click on it if someone put up a vote instead of hitting Exit or Esc five million times to get the the vote screen, you could click it and bring up the screen you wanted to click on.

Hear, hear! Those are exactly the types of things I'm talking about

On 2021-08-16 at 10:38 PM, Slayer-. said:

Good luck and have fun trying to get DE to change, I've found when they do a UI upgrade sometimes we seem to lose some functionality to other things we had that we found were awesome but DE deemed not to be.

I've only been around for a few years and I've seen this as well... All we can really do is float suggestions, upvote/bump the stuff we like, and hope it gets noticed...

------------
I'm piggy-backing another suggestion in: I would enjoy a music toggle vs Main Menu, Options, Sound, Music, out

2 hours ago, Venyxos said:

------------
I'm piggy-backing another suggestion in: I would enjoy a music toggle vs Main Menu, Options, Sound, Music, out

Another thing I reckon would be awesome is a separate slider for our Orbiters Somachord Music, I hate we have to have the actual ingame Music set to on to hear the Somachord Soundtracks.

I don't want to hear music when I'm in the missions, on my Orbiter I want to hear the Somachord Music, a toggle for that could be good, on the ship press a button hear what I want, in a mission music off.

19 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

Another thing I reckon would be awesome is a separate slider for our Orbiters Somachord Music, I hate we have to have the actual ingame Music set to on to hear the Somachord Soundtracks.

I don't want to hear music when I'm in the missions, on my Orbiter I want to hear the Somachord Music, a toggle for that could be good, on the ship press a button hear what I want, in a mission music off.

EXACTLY! The Dojo Drums are another one! They're attached to the games music... So like, if you want to turn the games music off to hear your drums, CHECK MATE! You can't hear the drum either anymore!

And I feel like they had an amazing opportunity for something like FFXIV Online's public player-based symphanies** in relays, dojos, and other hubs like Iron Wake or Fortuna... Well, nm, you only have shawzins in most Player Hubs, maybe? But the Dojo you could have full bands w/ the Drum Decorations and Shawzins... Maybe work Somachord in?

**google FFXIV live shows/bards/performances/etc if you don't know what I'm talking about... Bards can play any song they wish, Square Enix simply asks players refrain from copyright protected material and its SOOO cool! But hey, thats what you get with a Final Fantasy game - ah lort, I have to resist going off on a FFXIV tangent, but it's aesthetic is, in a way, very similar to Warframe and just such a wonderful game if you're into MMOs (which I'm not really, lol) ...Anyhow, in a game who's community loving refers to it as "Fashion Frame" just imagine something like those musical performances in FFXIV in Warframe! It would be SUPER cool to enter a relay or hub to see/hear other players just shredding popular tunes. Imagine Clans when their dojo gets featured! You telling me musically inclined players aren't going to show up to play tunes? Of course they would! Nah, DE messed up adding a musical feature to the game and dropping it after they reeled some platinum in off shawzin skins and Octavia (plus Prime) launches

... In my humble opinion of course, lol

A toggle damage number on/off keybind would be nice.

I kept damage number off during normal gameplay. But when I do boss fight like Lephantis, I enable damage number to see if I am actually hitting the weak point. A shortcut to on/off toggle would be a good QoL feature.

Archived