Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Request: Anyone interested in more "utilitarian" Operator cosmetics?

Kyotra

Something lacking in the current selection of Operator facial cosmetics is more utilitarian or tactical gear: ear protection, communication devices, goggles, gas masks and re-breathers, that kinda stuff. The current selection is mostly ornate jewelry, organic/flowing Tenno-style gear, and a handful of Corpus/Infested items - none of which meshes well with any of the worn Solaris working-gear outfits.

I'm putting forth a humble request for more "working man"-style gear, possibly in the style of Grineer or Solaris equipment - with the additional intent that this topic serve to gauge public interest in such cosmetics.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like it, personally.

But one problem with practical/utility cosmetic is that people who spent time making their operator will probably want to show off the face. That's why a small decorative piece is preferred. Your challenge will be making something that looks like a practical gear that doesn't obstruct too much of the face.

And for the record, I would love a standalone gas mask. Hazmat/snow goggles would be nice as well, if you can make it clear enough that you can still see the eyes. 

hace 1 hora, AhLiu338 dijo:

But one problem with practical/utility cosmetic is that people who spent time making their operator will probably want to show off the face. That's why a small decorative piece is preferred. Your challenge will be making something that looks like a practical gear that doesn't obstruct too much of the face.

Mmmm... what about the ones that want to look like Hunk?

I took more time making my operator than I would ever wanted to and I can say without a doubt that most of the face accessories are just details so small that only the captura artists would bother to wear and thats why I use closed hoods most of the time, there will be a time when I take my mask off but that time wouldnt be on the battlefield or while hunting.

8 hours ago, AhLiu338 said:

I would like it, personally.

And for the record, I would love a standalone gas mask. Hazmat/snow goggles would be nice as well, if you can make it clear enough that you can still see the eyes. 

"Practical" doesn't mean it has to be absurdly bulky or obscuring - though it would seem there is a demand for such items, considering quite a few cosmetics that completely cover the mouth and eyes have been created by both DE and Tennogen artists already.

Even in the case of players who want to show off their Operator's face, headsets (ears) wouldn't conflict with that desire.

9 hours ago, VoidArkhangel said:

Mmmm... what about the ones that want to look like Hunk?

I took more time making my operator than I would ever wanted to and I can say without a doubt that most of the face accessories are just details so small that only the captura artists would bother to wear and thats why I use closed hoods most of the time, there will be a time when I take my mask off but that time wouldnt be on the battlefield or while hunting.

That's what YOU want. and other people want different things. Most people who spent a lot of time on making their operator face exactly the way they want are not going to use thing that obstruct their face. Most people who doesn't care the face because "only the captura artists would bother", aren't going to care enough to fight for it to be in the game. 

by all means OP can make it. But if it's not what people will vote for the chance of it getting in is even slimmer. I merely offer advice on increasing the chance of it getting in. And do consider that because of limited slot of item being picked. 

And if you want to be Hunk, having a standalone gas mask will still allow you to be if the OP makes a full set(mask + eyes + ears) that fits together. Zenoriu sets, for example. 

2 hours ago, Kyotra said:

completely cover the mouth and eyes have been created by both DE and Tennogen artists already.

By all means do what you want. But remember that you do need people to vote for it to be considered. There's a lot of awesome looking stuffs that still couldn't get in because a more mainstream looks get more attentions. 

I'm NOT oppose you making it. I actually WANT it. As I clearly stated

11 hours ago, AhLiu338 said:

I would love a standalone gas mask.

I love mundane look that fits into the world over attention seeking, fantastical one. But there's a reason the fancy looks is picked over a "working man" looks. 

hace 1 hora, AhLiu338 dijo:

That's what YOU want. and other people want different things. Most people who spent a lot of time on making their operator face exactly the way they want are not going to use thing that obstruct their face. Most people who doesn't care the face because "only the captura artists would bother", aren't going to care enough to fight for it to be in the game. 

by all means OP can make it. But if it's not what people will vote for the chance of it getting in is even slimmer. I merely offer advice on increasing the chance of it getting in. And do consider that because of limited slot of item being picked. 

And if you want to be Hunk, having a standalone gas mask will still allow you to be if the OP makes a full set(mask + eyes + ears) that fits together. Zenoriu sets, for example. 

Also what you said on your first post is what YOU want but whatever.

Now that I remember, there is a limit in the size of the accessory so bulky things should be developed by DE themselves.

10 hours ago, AhLiu338 said:

By all means do what you want. But remember that you do need people to vote for it to be considered. There's a lot of awesome looking stuffs that still couldn't get in because a more mainstream looks get more attentions.

Well, that isn't true considering how DE is the one themselves who makes decisions on whether or not an item is accepted into the game. Community votes don't really matter for that.

Isn't most of Fortuna's Op gear utilitarian. Maybe not in the style that you'd want, but it is certainly utilitarian (miner/construction worker/manual labor equipment)

And while I won't be the one to tout the "Buht muh Lore!" horn, utilitarian gear makes little sense for the Tenno themselves. You are literally a void mage that can slip into Void Mode on demand to evade any hazards a utilitarian equipment could protect you from. Aside style, there would be no reason for the Tenno to be bogged down by bulky gear.

I'd vote for some tactical gear. A better rebreather than Baro's would be nice, esp if it pairs well with either the Eye Guard or Jotunheim Oculus. I'm already running what has been described as "post apoc combat armor" (Zauba Pauldrons, Smelter Armor, no Tassles, Haztech Greaves, Jotunheim Oculus, and Ki'Teer Atmos).

Idm it being both useful and sick looking but I will always choose aesthetics over utilitarian like with weapons idc if it can kill lvl 10,0000 enemy if its ugly I'm not interested.

I came up with an idea for operator armour before but ppl didn`t like it, it was armour pieces made out of resources. It could be a possible reward where you receive a blueprint and depending on what resources you use will determine the visual appearance like Argon Crystal Armour or Oxium Armour.

There are three different visual versions of the (argon crystal) armour, adding more of the same resource will change its appearance. The point of this is that you can decide to choose two more appearance options if you don`t like the first look.

• 4 weeks later...

I find that a lot of the cosmetics do not provide something near what I would consider " tactical ". A little bit of jewelry is fine but when it comes to ornaments, remember that " less is more ". I went with the traditional Ceno armor and copied Onkko's exact display colors because most of the cosmetics would provide me with no discernable advantage in the field. The Ceno armor is a bit heavy but I imagine it actually being useful in combat. I have some metallic somatics on my forehead and one side of my cheekbones, a single earring and that is about it. Not only is most of the ornamentation gaudy, it would provide nothing in a combat environment. 

At the risk of sounding acidic, I will also add that 2800+ hours have showed me that a lot of starchildren could not dress to impress if their life depended on it. 

Archived