Warframe insane data consumption

TheArmchairThinker

So, a fellow Tenno of mine said to me that he used 800 MB of mobile data just from visiting relay and playing a round or tier 1 isolation vault with another Tenno and it's worrying because he never used that much before. Not just warframe though, he used 5.5 GB of data playing GTA 5 with 3 friends so I'm really wondering are online games use that much data nowadays or it's the ISP being problematic since wi-fi isn't a stable connection to play.

Anyone having similar experience or it's just my friend? Because I might avoid playing public or with anyone, fearing my mobile data getting drained like mad

i don't know about cases like busy Relays, and i haven't paid close attention to newer Landscapes quite so much, but the traditional heavy scenario for Warframe has been like, Hosting a 4 Player Survival or something of that sort, and that type of scenario has a general peak of ~100KByte/sec. which if i convert that up to an Hour.... is about 360MBytes. but this is highly efficient for a Video Game, so i'm not concerned looking at that.

games with lots of features and lots of action, means games that use more Networking data. that's just how that goes.

if you want to minimize data usage, don't Host games.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

Why is he using mobile data anyway?  Is he streaming it, or using his phone as a hotspot or what?  The former shouldn't be done on a cellular connection for exactly this reason, the latter would be ok, but not great.

He uses his phone as hotspot since the WiFi is for family use so it's not stable enough for multiplayer

6 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

Tell your friend to check his phone, it will show what is using the data and when.

No clear indication what's using the data though, only 800 MB from having only the laptop connected and playing warframe for less than 1 hour, and it's just a relay visit and one isolation vault session with one other Tenno

2 minutes ago, TheArmchairThinker said:

No clear indication what's using the data though, only 800 MB from having only the laptop connected and playing warframe for less than 1 hour, and it's just a relay visit and one isolation vault session with one other Tenno

Ok, maybe being the hotspot it won't record it, could try a data capture program on the PC to see what and how much it's using in and out, most likely the hotspot, which is a bit crazy to play games on.

I use an old program called Netlimiter 3 Pro 4 is out but it's not free, if anything even sniffs the net connection it logs it, most likely better programs out there now, I cannot think of any to replace it.

For what it's worth, playing solo will use significantly less data, since when the game doesn't need to keep the actions of multiple players synced up it only connects to the server every so often to log your progress (as well as at the end of missions).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheArmchairThinker said:

He uses his phone as hotspot since the WiFi is for family use so it's not stable enough for multiplayer

Ok, So we have the additional problem of all data being lumped together in one bucket if it's being tracked by the phone.  He needs to look in Windows to see what's using his data when on the hotspot.  If you open Settings, then go to Network & Internet there should be a button to look into the data usage.  Here it'll be broken down by application, though by default it's for the past 30 days.  However, what you guys could do is reset the usage stats, then play for a while, then look at what it says.

Edited by (PSN)Lollybomb
  • Like 1

Just now, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

Ok, So we have the additional problem of all data being lumped together in one bucket if it's being tracked by the phone.  He needs to look in Windows to see what's using his data when on the hotspot.  If you open Settings, then go to Network & Internet there should be a button to look into the data usage.  Here it'll be broken down by application, though by default it's for the past 30 days.  However, what you guys could do is reset the usage stats, then play for a while, then look at what it says.

Turns out it was skype even when my friend isn't using it at all (10 GB), and for some reason the data is still used by system constantly, seeing how you get weather report on windows on the bottom bar and such. Warframe itself just used 1 GB of data in the last 30 days

On 2021-08-14 at 4:34 AM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

"I went bankrupt playing warframe mobile"

" jesus, how much platinum did you buy?"

"none, it was my ISP that did it"

Can't say for other countries, but within the US there's been "unlimited plans" for a while now. Some will just throttle after ~55GB of usage. It's just tethering/hot spot they still severely limit. I have an actual unlimited plan [no throttling] but I still only get like 30GB of tethering/hotspot use.

Although, something ignored is that data caps are applicable even to standard internet connections. At one point Comcast had a 150GB data cap on cable internet and the fee was pretty high for every 1GB you went over. Verizon a few years back got into problem when they turned off a connection to someone when they used a lot of data, even though they had "unlimited". Then there was all the throttling early at the start of the pandemic.

Edited by Yamazuki