Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Hydroid Great Again!!

(PSN)crashteddy03

Let me preface this bit of feedback by saying that I know DE have said that they are not interested in reworking older frames. Still, I am hopeful that someone might take some notice of the minor changes I am about to suggest…

I’ve gone back to playing Hydroid over the last couple of days and experimenting with a couple of different builds. I love the design and artwork of the frame, but there are a couple of minor tweaks to his abilities that would make him just that much more playable.

Hydroid has three reasonably good crowd control/denial of area abilities - Tempest Barrage, Undertow and Tentacle Swarm. But all three of these have issues.

The major problem is casting time. There aren’t too many Warframe abilities that require or have the option of a charge up. Hydroid ends up with two of these abilities. Even with both Natural Talent and Speed Drift, both abilities take significant time to charge and cast making Hydroid susceptible to being damaged or worse missing the target.  

The next problem is Hydroid’s passive. I could be wrong here, but AFAIK no other frame has a passive that has a less than 100% chance to activate.

The last problem is Undertow. What could be an excellent crowd control skill is absolutely hampered by energy costs, movement speed and a weird tentacle targeting issue.

On to the suggestions…

Passive: Make it a 100% chance on melee slam and leave everything else as is.

Tempest Barrage: Remove the charge up completely. Damage and duration should be affected by ability rank, not charge up. Increase duration to 4/6/8/10 seconds. Leave everything else as is.

Tidal Surge: Leave as is. Hydroid needs one skill to be subsumed/replaced 😊

Undertow: Tentacle grab to be automatic for up to 4/6/8/10 enemies within range. Remove energy cost for movement. Leave everything else as is.

Tentacle Swarm: Either remove the charge up or reduce the charge time. Leave everything else as is.

Other than Undertow, these should be relatively minor tweaks that allow Hydroid to perform better as a CC/Denial of Area frame. I know others have commented on Hydroid’s survivability, but I just don’t see it.

Blessings Tenno!

There is a great deal of dissatisfaction shown by the community towards the other water based frame - I believe that DE would be able to consider Hydroid in the same manner. So maybe not as unlikely as you might have been led to believe by past remarks.

For example both of these Frames have abilities that have difficulty targeting specific mobs (at least for me) and this could really do with some consistency tweaks.

As time goes on we’re seeing more and more items get left behind (weapons, frames, companions etc) and I do wonder how many times sweeping changes in entire categories (such as the recent gun buffs/melee nerfs) will take before it becomes too unwieldy to be workable. Since these seem to be the only occasions some of the older stuff gets looked at - because it was part of a larger category of items by default.

The problem with frame design in WF imo is DE working around a theme instead of working around a role, they add abilities that would be "cool" and fit the theme of a frame, what they don't seem to do is think about what this frame will be used for in the actual game. Take a Gloomboi for example, I call him Gloomboi because, as I see it, Gloom is the only good thing on him, and you can subsume it, so why waste time on playing Gloomboi when you can just add Gloom on a good frame with other useful stuff? Sure, some people will shoehorn him into some role that he'll be okay at, not because he has good abilities, but because WF isn't difficult to begin with. 

It's the same with Aquaman, just without good subsume from him, some people still play him, because for the most part you don't need abilities in 80-90% of the game.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb (PSN)crashteddy03:

Let me preface this bit of feedback by saying that I know DE have said that they are not interested in reworking older frames. Still, I am hopeful that someone might take some notice of the minor changes I am about to suggest…

I’ve gone back to playing Hydroid over the last couple of days and experimenting with a couple of different builds. I love the design and artwork of the frame, but there are a couple of minor tweaks to his abilities that would make him just that much more playable.

Hydroid has three reasonably good crowd control/denial of area abilities - Tempest Barrage, Undertow and Tentacle Swarm. But all three of these have issues.

The major problem is casting time. There aren’t too many Warframe abilities that require or have the option of a charge up. Hydroid ends up with two of these abilities. Even with both Natural Talent and Speed Drift, both abilities take significant time to charge and cast making Hydroid susceptible to being damaged or worse missing the target.  

The next problem is Hydroid’s passive. I could be wrong here, but AFAIK no other frame has a passive that has a less than 100% chance to activate.

The last problem is Undertow. What could be an excellent crowd control skill is absolutely hampered by energy costs, movement speed and a weird tentacle targeting issue.

On to the suggestions…

Passive: Make it a 100% chance on melee slam and leave everything else as is.

Tempest Barrage: Remove the charge up completely. Damage and duration should be affected by ability rank, not charge up. Increase duration to 4/6/8/10 seconds. Leave everything else as is.

Tidal Surge: Leave as is. Hydroid needs one skill to be subsumed/replaced 😊

Undertow: Tentacle grab to be automatic for up to 4/6/8/10 enemies within range. Remove energy cost for movement. Leave everything else as is.

Tentacle Swarm: Either remove the charge up or reduce the charge time. Leave everything else as is.

Other than Undertow, these should be relatively minor tweaks that allow Hydroid to perform better as a CC/Denial of Area frame. I know others have commented on Hydroid’s survivability, but I just don’t see it.

Blessings Tenno!

I'm with you, especially charge up abilities -- they don't make any sense, i absolutely don't like them, and they are uncomfortably to use on controllers - xbox player here.

Since they introduced the charge up mechanism Hydroid is not really fun to play anymore. I really hope DE will change this back to old days.

Best regards.

Hydroid doesn't need to be made "Great again" but needs to be made great.

1 ) His Tempest Barrage needs a couple tweaks but is a decent first ability
2 ) Tidal surge needs to be either removed or combined with undertow transforming it into a tap and hold ability but this doesn't change the fact Undertow isn't great.
3 ) Undertow is a boring and uninteresting. you turn into a puddle... and that's pretty much it. You can pull enemies into this small puddle and slowly whittle them down. if You're playing for Undertow, just play Grendal.
4 ) Tentacle swarm, oh Tentacle Swarm. The annoying CC which only has 1 saving grace and that's a loot mod.

Am 15.8.2021 um 15:44 schrieb Raqiya:

4 ) Tentacle swarm, oh Tentacle Swarm. The annoying CC which only has 1 saving grace and that's a loot mod.

DE could make the same they did with "Zephyres Tornados" -- just shoot the tentacles and all trapped enemy units take extra dmg. Since the Tornados can be cast stationary sucking all enemies in their range i really love that - no one is confused anymore trying to shoot whirling enemies.

Regards.

Le 15/08/2021 à 01:41, (PSN)crashteddy03 a dit :

AFAIK no other frame has a passive that has a less than 100% chance to activate.

Frost's passive is a 10% chance, but also incredibly easy to miss when it does happen.

Overall, though, yeah... everything Hydroid does is unnecessarily slower and clunkier than just about anyone else with little reward for doing so. Just removing the charge mechanics would go far towards improving his feel.

4 minutes ago, Feraligono said:

Frost's passive is a 10% chance, but also incredibly easy to miss when it does happen.

Overall, though, yeah... everything Hydroid does is unnecessarily slower and clunkier than just about anyone else with little reward for doing so. Just removing the charge mechanics would go far towards improving his feel.

Imo the biggest problem hydroid has is his 1 augment no longer fully strips armor. Prior to the corrosive nerf it would strip armor very effectively. Now it cant and the rest of hydroids kit is so boring and clunky no one plays him outside of loot farming. But even then there is khora who is leagues ahead.

Archived