Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Everyone asks "When is The New War?" but no one asks "When is The War Without?"

Zahnny

Ok this is mostly just a bit of a joke, but to this day I still find it interesting how in The Second Dream quest, we hear the Lotus say

"Now we fight on two fronts my child, The War Within and The War Without"

90% sure I'm just thinking too much into this but given how The War Within became its own quest for years now the statement of The War Without has remained in my head like it's hinting at something larger.

I think it's just a metaphor to all the conflicts in the Origin System VS. our path to 'self-discovery'. Up to that point in the game, we don't really get to think about what we actually are as a Tenno, we are just focused on fighting against the grineer, the corpus, the infested, etc. Once we play through the Second Dream, we realize that our existence is more complicated than just being a cool alien-robot-ninja, and we embark in a quest to learn more about ourselves, our past, and confront our inner demons; hence the phrase that Lotus says. "Now we fight on two fronts: The War Without, and the War Within."

I think it is just a phrase to talk about how now we will have to fight external (without) and internal battles (within).  AKA we are fighting a war without now and you could take it even further if you want and since the sentients are returning from outside the sol system they are the biggest without you can get currently. 

2 hours ago, Zahnny said:

90% sure I'm just thinking too much into this but given how The War Within became its own quest for years now the statement of The War Without has remained in my head like it's hinting at something larger.

-looks at the incoming sentient forces-

I think we might have found The War Without, it just is under a "New" name.

6 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... I just think that The War Without is The New War until proven otherwise... Like the judicial system. "Guilty until proven otherwise"!

... oh wait, its the other way around.

This is how I thought it tbh. 

Maybe its more complex than I thought, but I always just figured the War Without WAS the physical, very direct new war against the sentients as they stormed the sol system idk. So like you said, the "New War" and the "War Without" are on in the same. 

I thought "War Without" was more of a reference to Duviri: it looks like we may or may not have our warframes in Duviri and the focus will be on our operator solving Duviri's mysteries and getting stronger without needing to rely on their Warframe. or that it was a reference to carrying on without the Lotus as our guide. or maybe it is just a reference to the New War. 

honestly, the cryptic way a lot of the main characters speak in cinematic quests 99% of the time leaves a lot open to interpretation, which is likely intended by DE. at the end of the day though, we can win any battle, because we are magical space ninja demigods, and the Sentients are gonna get rinsed out one way or the other.

Err... doesnt the "War without" mean "A war that happens outside" (a physical war)? Like... the Grineer, Corpus, Infested... and "War Within" ending up being an internal struggle (which is what happened in the same named Quest)? 

Archived