Locking years old threads? Stopping Nekros replies.

Deminisis

Been seeing an unusual amount of 2 year or older threads getting pulled out the grave. Shouldn't these be locked to more replies?

Is there any reason to keep them open, especially if it is a resolved issue or outdated topic? I really think anything with a year or more of no activity should auto lock.

I'll also mention that update threads get locked by DE after a few months.

• Like 1

IIRC it was a backend issue that either caused them to get un-archived or made it where archiving everything caused problems.

Also the Forums aren't actually owned or maintained by DE but by a third party. So if it is a technical issue it likely lies with them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

Do you have some skeletons in the closet that you don't want anyone to know about?

House Ghost GIF

Besides, most of them are just general discussion or players helping players.

Or is there some internet etiquette that nekrosing threads is taboo?

Last Post Wins says hello by the way.

I personally have no posts I'm ashamed of, but opinions do change over time.

I don't like when old discussions that already have been resolved come back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genitive said:

Apparently a few threads got unlocked due to a bug after they updated the forums some time ago.

Huh. I did wonder what was with the influx of necro threads

… So what you’re saying is, the necros were always there, biding their time, and then a bug lowered the Forum defenses, and the necros found their time to strike😨

• Like 2

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Deminisis:

Personally, I never understand the issue of nekro-threads.

If somebody just starts a new thread for an already solved issue, that's even worse.

When somebody revives an old thread, the person at least was capable of using the search option.

In this case then it depends on the answers the new person gives. If it's a "Geart, it works for me too, thanks", then yeah, it's kind of useless, even if sombody only tries to be polite.

If somebody, on the other hand, expands upon an several years old problem, then I think it's preferable to havin a new thread which fattens up the search.

• Like 5

I'm honestly unsure why old threads get archived/locked. There's many issues, bugs, and points of discussion that are years old at this point. I feel like it's more clutter to force players into periodically making the same thread than to have one that can be continuously expanded.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Honestly, threads from years ago are more interesting than threads that are opened these days.

Not wrong :crylaugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walkampf said:

Personally, I never understand the issue of nekro-threads.

If somebody just starts a new thread for an already solved issue, that's even worse.

When somebody revives an old thread, the person at least was capable of using the search option.

In this case then it depends on the answers the new person gives. If it's a "Geart, it works for me too, thanks", then yeah, it's kind of useless, even if sombody only tries to be polite.

If somebody, on the other hand, expands upon an several years old problem, then I think it's preferable to havin a new thread which fattens up the search.

Complaining about necroing is probably just a habit. It makes no sense to do so for most threads on an official game forum. For old style forums that had a different environment, a no necro rule made sense. Most discussions there stop being relevant once they're done. A bug, an issue, or a concern that was posted a while aog but is still around in present day and someone comments on it shouldn't be a problem. Especially given if they made a new thread people just whine they should've used search anyways. Which isn't always easy, some problems have a lot of dead threads with zero solution to them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Deminisis said:

I see threads like this every once in a while and always find them odd.  Discussions are, with a few exceptions, things that are always ongoing and open to new input.  You say this yourself in the quote above.  I don't see the problem with reviving old topics.  Also, remember that we're talking Warframe here, resolved topics may very suddenly unresolve themselves with the latest update!

• Like 1

I think it depends on the topic and why it got a late reply. Anything relevant and bugs + other gameplay issues should be fine to leave open, but old discussions, threads with outdated info etc should be closed. I mean if you necro a thread from 2017 chances are that the OP isn't even playing anymore and info from 2021 isn't really going to help with a question asked back in 2017. Example of a thread that should have been locked / not have been necored.

• Like 4

I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks 'old' threads are 'resolved' and even more hilarious that 'old' equals 'worthless/not relevant'.

Sounds like some kind of 'fear of aging'.

Too funny, this 'fear of old threads' is one of the weirdest things I see online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimzala said:

I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks 'old' threads are 'resolved' and even more hilarious that 'old' equals 'worthless/not relevant'.

Sounds like some kind of 'fear of aging'.

Too funny, this 'fear of old threads' is one of the weirdest things I see online.

You're twisting my words into something else. I never said 'worthless/not relevant'. My point is about threads like these:

The OP started a thread 2 years ago thinking abilities have no affect on demolyst. Someone corrected them saying they just nullify them periodically. The thread got revived with information that isn't accurate and causes confusion.

I got nothing against ongoing issues and topics, but something that's been fixed or corrected really doesn't need to rise back up in the forums.

Also, I think people tend to start new threads over replying to old ones, because who is going to dig though dozens pages of comments to read yours? How many people even read threads past the first page?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Deminisis said:

You're twisting my words into something else. I never said 'worthless/not relevant'. My point is about threads like these:

I quoted no one, I am simply referring to the endless streams of angst I have seen previously over the topic.