Farming Octavia - Is it worth wasting the hours?

I have yet to start my hunt for Octavia parts apart from finishing the main quest.

Not looking for the prime version as I want the subsumed ability and to add to my flowers collection.

Can some of you share how painful the experience is?

People have suggested just buying it outright from the market.

I don’t remember it being particularly painful to acquire her. Mainly what I recall was the sense of “How was I supposed to figure that out?” when I looked at the wiki (I think it was for one of the parts after solving a Lua puzzle and not sure if I did it right), but… yeah. Didn’t seem all that bad for my personal experience

edit: Although I make it a point to not focus too hard on acquiring a thing, so I think it took a forgotten amount of time of every-so-often attempts (sorry for not giving a certain time 😅)

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 2

After looking at the wiki, the worst part has to be the Lua Music Puzzle. But the wiki lists a 100% drop rate for completing the puzzle. The other parts are survival and exterminate grinds. I'd say start with the music puzzle because it's the worst part, then breeze through the other two.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CrimsonDarkLord said:

Can some of you share how painful the experience is?

It's not at all bad. You can get 2 parts in a single lua mission. Open 1 cache and find the music room and you're set there for the 2 parts. The 3rd part being from Deimos survival, 20 minute intervals. RNG could be cursed for you but after running that for 1 hour, for 3 chances, for about 2-3 days at 1 run a day like this, and you'll have it easily enough. Don't run more than 1 run or you will burn out like a light bulb with a hole in it.

I always recommend that if you can skip the grind with some platinum; buy yourself these 4 frames.

1. Nidus
  2. Harrow
  3. Khora
  4. Grendel

Khora being the longest grind you will face, followed by Harrow for one of the worst missions ever at Defection, and Kuva Fortress spy if you're bad at spy...

Grendel is slightly easier with a Hildryn with her Blazing Pillage augment. The Grendel missions are a no mod condition series of missions but augments are allowed as they change the skill function, not the power.

Nidus is infested salvage and it's very time consuming like Khora's, easier done solo than with a squad as the timer is shorter. Mirage with Explosive Legerdemain would get you it, if you wanted to grind it.

• Like 2

I got Octavia back when the derelict was still a thing.

The cache (you only need one I think) and music room is not that bad honestly,

The survival will take some time though , but it's an infested survival , I suggest you try to level a weapon/ frame when you try to get that , maybe also some corrupted keys for corrupted mods while you are at it so it doesn't feel like a waste.

So I would say it's reasonable if you multitask.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Grendel is slightly easier with a Hildryn with her Blazing Pillage augment. The Grendel missions are a no mod condition series of missions but augments are allowed as they change the skill function, not the power.

Grendel is next on my list. There are a few tutorials online on how to cheese those missions though.

I thought the biggest pain about Grendel is the Vitus Essence? I may do it with a friend. Apparently, you don't need to own a locator to be invited to the mission so you could essentially find 2 other friends and get 1 locator each. Haven't tested it myself though.

39 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

It's not at all bad. You can get 2 parts in a single lua mission. Open 1 cache and find the music room and you're set there for the 2 parts.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Does Rotation A Caches mean the first hidden cache you open or do you have to find all 3?

Could you recommend a specific mission for this?

I was very lucky with getting Khora without trying, just from maxing out all my MR fodder and getting Khora as a by-product.

Lua puzzle is easy and is a guaranteed drop, if the puzzle spawns

The part that comes from caches, it drops from the first cache and has a high change to drop, so fairly simple.

The only part that's a bit of a pain is rotation c Deimos survival, but if you're after mutagen mass  or nano spores then you can rustle up a load while doing this. Again, the drop rate isnt too bad though.

Compare this to say, Ash nowadays, it's not a bad trip.

cmon bruh we now have the worse survival based farm for ambassador primary of having every part drop from 20th minute. compare to that octavia only has one hard part to farm that is deimos survival i think as it was derelict survival before. maybe it will take 1-2 hours but not more than that. 

now is the helminth ability useful? idk my base octavia is highly used and i don't think it's worth subsuming for just roller.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Archeyef said:

After looking at the wiki, the worst part has to be the Lua Music Puzzle. But the wiki lists a 100% drop rate for completing the puzzle. The other parts are survival and exterminate grinds. I'd say start with the music puzzle because it's the worst part, then breeze through the other two.

This. Once you overcome this, you realize the grind isn't that bad at all. It's arguably more difficult to get Ash than Octavia, and she's a blast to play.

I didn't even remember what was i need to do. Which could only mean the farm wasn't that hard nor memorable. At the very least for me.

Unlike, say... Ivara, or trinity. That are still giving me nightmares to this day. Wisp was pretty bad as well. Fights wasn't so bad, just the unskippable phases...

Imma say just keep doing it. Probably share your methods and seek advices, probably you're not using the most optimal methods yet.

8 minutes ago, DarkSkysz said:

Did that puzzle a few days ago. Look like they nerfed the heck out of it... you just have to memorize 4 or 6 lights now.

Oh cool, so they made it even easier.

I should mention, I farmed up Octavia a while ago, and did the puzzle. From my perspective, the hard part is kinda less about how difficult the puzzle is (as I recall it's one of the easiest Lua puzzles) but from getting it to spawn. On the chance you don't succeed (probably from not being familiar with it), there's no guarantee of it spawning on your next run, or the one after that, or the one after that. So it's "worst" because it's probably the most frustrating of the three parts to get.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Soy77 said:

Wisp was pretty bad as well. Fights wasn't so bad, just the unskippable phases...

The world of RNG almost feels rigged sometimes. I only fought the Wisp boss 3 times and got different parts every time.

Same with Atlas, fought the boss 4 times and got all 4 different parts.

Saryn was initially great as well, fought the boss 3 times and got all 3 different parts. Then later on while trying to build Chroma, I needed another Saryn Systems and it took me over 20 runs. I now have like 12 Neuroptics and 8 Chasises.

Just now, Kaotyke said:

The music one is the worst. It makes you play a memory game.

It makes you THINK! OH THE HUMANITY!

This one was a strange one too. I found it literally on my first run after reading the Wiki.

I later stumbled across another player hunting the Caches as well so we did it together. He had been re-running the map for the music room for over 3 hours. Then on his 3rd run with me, we find it. On the 4th run, we find it again.

The dice rolling is very strange.

Edited by CrimsonDarkLord
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Alcatraz said:

Nidus is infested salvage and it's very time consuming like Khora's, easier done solo than with a squad as the timer is shorter. Mirage with Explosive Legerdemain would get you it, if you wanted to grind it.

I found the Nidus grind to be quite enjoyable once I got started. I used Nezha and a kuva ogris though - boom, everything is dead, collect and wait for more. One map I just ran from station to station in a big circle blasting everything that ashowed its ugly face. That was more fun that it sounds.

Protea is the annoying grind for me - whilst its not difficult to use mirage and a max-range prism to kill the specters, its sure annoying and the last part just doesn't drop. But then, that can be said for everything in the game, some drops easy, some is drustratingly hard. For each of us, randomly! For me, Trinity, Gauss, Saryn - trivially easy! Nova.. still got PTSD for how many times I had to run that damn map.

As for Octavia - I just played and put her down to "one of those frame I'll never bother to get", and one day I got her. Was doing a lich murmer run (old liches, hence Lua) and someone said "hey music room, wanna do it" and we stopped, did it and suddenly I had the last Octavia part. I think the puzzle rooms have a bad rep as being wierd and overcomplicated. But that applies to many of the missions anyway, wall latch on floating picture frames or hop through time to get to the objective? pfft.

Octavia is actually one of the easiest to farm, especially if you get a Music puzzle room in a Lua Sabotage.  a few tips that might help:

- the Lua Music Room puzzle used to change, but it's been stuck on a specific order for over 2 years or so now, at least the solo one has. once you do the puzzle (easier solo), bullet jump on to the top platform in the centre of the room and bust the container. 

- finding the caches is obviously much easier with Loot Radar mods like Thief's Wit. be sure to check every room high and low, some of the places where caches spawn are... creative, you might say. 

- the Deimos survival one just boils down to pure RNG, but enough runs and you should get it eventually. not sure what the drop rate is though.

2 hours ago, CrimsonDarkLord said:

The world of RNG almost feels rigged sometimes. I only fought the Wisp boss 3 times and got different parts every time.

Same with Atlas, fought the boss 4 times and got all 4 different parts.

Saryn was initially great as well, fought the boss 3 times and got all 3 different parts. Then later on while trying to build Chroma, I needed another Saryn Systems and it took me over 20 runs. I now have like 12 Neuroptics and 8 Chasises.

By all means randomness will be randomness.

I was simply lamenting the timers on ambula fights and lotus-aladV speeches on big turkey fight.

I had to beat tyl regor a couple of times as well for hydroid, and aladV for mesa, but since the battles are relatively short, personally it's barrable.