May I ask a Riven Slot Maximum capacity increase from 180 to 210?

-Zr-Scroll

Maximum Riven slot capacity has been somewhat steadily increasing over the years, but the last time the capacity was increased was in Update 28; June 11, 2020 - over one year ago.

On top of that we got 30 slots for MR30, placing the max at 180.

I've been a long time restricted by the 180 riven slots. I can still acquire Rivens via Login Tributes and Nihils Obliuette, which is the reason why I'm currently at 194/180 rivens.

gXqa6nQ.jpg

Yes I still have a few dublicates here and there; I've transmuted several dozen rivens and traded some away to make room. But I'm currently in a situation where I don't really want to dispose any of my rivens as most of them are for unique weapons.

I'd love that the riven capacity would be increased again at least by 30 to new max of 210. Also I'd like to note that every time that I've gotten Riven Slots from the Login Tribute system I've been at the max capacity thus never getting those free slots. I'm at 2036 login day, which has given me seven (7) Riven caches with 3 slots equaling to 21 riven slots (if I did my math right). It would be at least fair, that these slots were to increase the maximum capacity beyond the limit you can purchase from the market. Similarly to the MR30 level up.

Daily Tribute Milestone of 2050 will be a Riven Cache again, putting me at 197/180, which is only 2 weeks away as I'm writing this.

x37RAHc.jpg

On top of that with the Nora's Choice Nightwave next week; I'm about to get a Rifle Riven from that reward track aswell, placing me at 198/180.

U0jzMXJ.jpg

The fact is that I would be playing sorties, grinding Steel Path for Rivens, which means I would be playing more than I currently am: But I simply can't due to the riven cap restriction. I'm currently heavily disincentivized even to play any missions to acquire Kuva for rolls because of it.

I am also afraid when the time comes that I will lose a riven I'm awarded due to possible hidden limit past riven cap.

So I would appreciate an increase for the Riven cap, Thanks!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Hmm.....Some people will never have enough.

The fear of selling some trash rivens only so their buff/weapon rework/anything good is announced next day is will never disappear.

Rise the cap or - better yet - get rid of it all together, please.

I counted about 346 different unique weapons (variants excluded) that one could own a riven for. So why are we capped at 180?

Edited by disrawtomato
  • Like 1

I personally am nowhere near the max cap but I do think that there doesn't actually need to be a cap in the first place. If anything it's losing DE money from people not buying more slots when they would like to.

2 hours ago, Liljeman said:

From what I understood it has to do with memory space on their servers. As every riven is unique it stacks up.

Exactly, riven data takes so much space from their "servers", people have to pay 20 plat for each slot (above 30?). Imagine the monthly subscription if this game wasn't peer to peer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liljeman said:

From what I understood it has to do with memory space on their servers. As every riven is unique it stacks up.

Pretty much this.

One thing they could do is the same thing they did with wreckage: have veiled Rivens effectively free, and unveiled ones cost slots. IIRC it's a little more overhead than Railjack wreckage (since it's a weapon type + challenge, instead of just a type?), but it's a similar sort of compression.

That could also allow giving Rivens in lieu of Riven slots when players are at the cap.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-08-25 at 2:52 AM, Tyreaus said:

Pretty much this.

One thing they could do is the same thing they did with wreckage: have veiled Rivens effectively free, and unveiled ones cost slots. IIRC it's a little more overhead than Railjack wreckage (since it's a weapon type + challenge, instead of just a type?), but it's a similar sort of compression.

That could also allow giving Rivens in lieu of Riven slots when players are at the cap.

Yeah, but the server capacity has been the argument since the beginning when there were only like 60 slots iirc? And they have steadily increased them over the years until now.

The wreckage mechanic would be brilliant honestly.

Also an update... 200/180  W6b0a1A.jpg

This weeks Nightwave has 7000 and 4500 weekly both Sortie completions, which I'm unable to do now =/

• Like 3

I support more capacity.

there is a system for unique resources used in RPG loot games, this system is already implemented in railjack pieces to save data on the server for unique items so the riven limit should be similar, only revealed rivens must occupy capacity slots.

...and I also don't understand why there would be this limitation for revealed rivens, the pool of rolls is fixed and what determines the percentage of the roll is the weapon disosition. there is not much exclusivity on a riven as they are extremely similar and predictable in the market.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -Zr-Scroll said:

Yeah, but the server capacity has been the argument since the beginning when there were only like 60 slots iirc? And they have steadily increased them over the years until now.

Over time, it's possible to add more server space. It just costs money (not just for the server but in electricity, technical upkeep, backups and redundant disks...). They're totally able to expand it, it's just not cheap.

9 hours ago, Famecans said:

...and I also don't understand why there would be this limitation for revealed rivens, the pool of rolls is fixed and what determines the percentage of the roll is the weapon disosition. there is not much exclusivity on a riven as they are extremely similar and predictable in the market.

I don't believe the disposition sets the roll 100%. Besides the presence of a negative, there's an element of RNG that tweaks the values slightly. That puts a wrench in compression at that stage.

The other problem is that those Rivens are unique per weapon. Veiled Rivens only fall into a few different categories based on challenge and weapon type, meaning the problem space is (# weapon types) * (# possible challenges). So that's something like 6 * 30 (or around that area). Unveiled Rivens have a problem space of (# weapons) * (# polarities) * (stat type 1) * (stat type 2) * (stat type 3) * (negative stat type). So even if you take out the RNG and make the stat values algorithmic (to save more space), you still need to point to the stat types, weapons, polarities.... It makes the problem space pretty big, what with 5(?) polarities, 200-odd weapons, and a dozen or so stat types per. And that's a problem space that grows with each new weapon introduced to the game (whereas veiled Rivens are unaffected, so long as new weapon types aren't added)

You can still pull off that kind of stacking compression even with 600,000+ entries, even in a growing problem space. The trade-off is in server calls: uncompressed Rivens right now would just call for that Riven's information that could be stored in a single entry. The compressed version would have to call for those values individually, since the Riven itself would just have a list of pointers to be translated into data. You save in space, but do more processing to get the pieces and put it together.

Hm, as far as space goes would it help if the Wreckage system were tweaked a bit if it were applied to Veiled rivens?

• (I wanted to clarify this part, but it slipped my mind the first time)

If you get a riven from someplace like NW or Teshin / Arbitrations, then it could go into your inventory with just the weapon type shown. Only when you select the riven stack, is when a challenge could be given.

One could think of it like a deck of unseen (Effectively blank) cards. When you obtain the card(s), just checking on what weapon category it is should be all that's needed. Then one day when you have space for a veiled riven officially, the game could create a random challenge to reveal that riven, and then it takes up a slot.

• Or (If the servers can handle it well enough), only have it take up a slot when the challenge is completed. Otherwise hypothetically, I was just wondering if that'd save a bit of space, considering that even if you had a wreckage-style stack of veiled rivens for a specific weapon type, if the system had to track what the challenges were for each one that's still more space being taken up that doesn't need to be yet, as those rivens aren't being attempted or traded until you go to do so. So the most important part to keep track of is the weapon type, I think.

Then you can open the deck of cards and pull one out, and look at its challenge :)

• Getting a veiled riven in a trade would probably come with a challenge, since (Hypothetically speaking) someone else must have then pulled that out of their inventory first. In that case having a challenge might make sense for it to need a slot, but this is just brainstorming at the moment.

Hopefully the wreckage system could be applied to rivens either way though! NW Sortie challenges definitely need it.

Edited by (NSW)Gamer-Steve
Just wanted to clarify the deck example I had; I imagined it like if you went to a card game shop to look for a specific type of card, then when you obtain that card (Not for traded rivens), it goes into your inventory but does not give a challenge yet.