Grendel's meatball form could use some added mobility options to make it feel less clumsy.

xcrimsonlegendx

As someone who plays a lot of Grendel and even went as far as to umbra forma him several times, I've gotten used to how the big boy's meatball ability handles. I actually love bouncing through maps destroying whatever is unfortunate enough to get in my way. However even with countless hours of practice I do get stuck from time to time or caught up on wonky geometry/physics objects or hitched by ramps and doorways that seemingly have invisible bumps you can't roll through causing you to lose all momentum effectively crippling your ability to kill/gain energy. His catapult augment goes a long way to helping you get around the various tiles in the game when you get stuck and lose momentum but that honestly should have been an innate part of his ability not an augment that takes up a mod slot. That being said I really believe we can do better, a lot of people aren't as experienced with rolling around as some of us and aren't going to stick around long enough to learn how to cope with it in its current state. It seems folks generally tend to agree that its clunky and not very responsive, causing people to dislike the ability and even Grendel altogether.

My solution as an avid Grendel player would be adding some more of our standard Warframe mobility tools to Grendel's 4 to make it feel a lot more consistent with the rest of the game so it's more fluid and fun to use. Grendel's 4 already has the ability to double-jump just as Warframes do, it can even benefit from mods that increase your double jump height as well as jump up walls. So what if we gave his meatball a few more of the standard Warframe movement tools? Such as allowing him to aim-glide while in ball form to help clear gaps, that might sound weird but it would help I can assure you. How about giving him the ability to perform a ground slam, such as we can with melee attacks? He would be able to change direction mid-air and move wherever he needs to go easily, with an appropriately thematic AoE slam when he hits the ground. I'm not sure if things like bullet jump would work for it however but it could, launching him into the air and crashing down on top of your foes with extra force. Any number of movement tools could be applied to the ball form to alleviate some of the issues with the ability without directly buffing its damage output.

Grendel has his issues, especially with energy drain but overall I think he's a pretty well rounded Warframe. Folks often post here about how they think he needs a massive rework but he doesn't, he just needs some TLC and some quality of life changes to elevate him from his current slump. Capping his energy drain at 10 enemies like they did to Sevagoth's Gloom for example, do that and suddenly his appetite is no longer spiraling out of control. Grendel doesn't need much to be better and I feel like he can get where he needs to be without to much tweaking.

Edited by xcrimsonlegendx
Typos and rewording.
  • Like 2

Some other grendel ideas:

Give his ball form some kind of Sonic the hedgehog spindash mechanic, maybe even performable while airborne?

Give the option to modulate his bouncyness in ball form with a key hold, i.e. if you are hold down a certain key (space? right click? shift?) when he hits a surface, he bounces x% harder than normal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlyko said:

Some other grendel ideas:

Give his ball form some kind of Sonic the hedgehog spindash mechanic, maybe even performable while airborne?

Give the option to modulate his bouncyness in ball form with a key hold, i.e. if you are hold down a certain key (space? right click? shift?) when he hits a surface, he bounces x% harder than normal.

I had actually considered a spin-dash for the catapult augment, maybe if you held crouch while you activate it you'd spin in place storing that energy and adding it to the damage of your impact when released? Allowing you to bowl through enemies, since as it is direct hits do very little damage and the bounce impact is the primary way to kill things.

That would be actually really neat to be able to control your bounce momentum too. Or maybe just tapping jump when you impact would cause you to increase your bounce height relative to how much speed you had when you landed.