Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Speedrun In Warframe

Earthworm_Jim

Question

Alternate title: How daggers can finally be useful.

I made the transition from Loki (One of the fastest warframes) to Frost (One of the slowest warframes) and could not get over how slow Frost was. Therefore, I began experimenting on the fastest way to get from point A to point B so as to not fall completely behind everyone else. This is the result of my findings. I will update this as I test new things and as people tell me I am wrong in the thread.

REMEMER: THE FIRST RULE OF SPEEDRUNNING IS TO PRESS SPACE AND SKIP CUTSCENES.

-Knife Skating- [Tested with Dark Dagger]

What You Need: Dark Dagger, Ceramic Dagger, or Heat Dagger equipped in your Melee weapon slot.

How To Execute: Press and hold Sprint, press crouch to slide, immediately press melee attack to dash and release sprint. Rinse and repeat.

This is the single fastest method of travel in Warframe that does not require the use of energy (I.E. Warframe abilities). Every melee weapon has a charge attack that can be performed by pressing the melee key while sliding. From the weapons I have tested (Scindo, Skana, Cronus, Dark Dagger, Heat Sword) it appears that every weapon covers the same distance. The 'heavier' the weapon, the slower your charge speed is and the slower your recovery time on the charge.

The problem with this: Daggers are not exactly the best weapon when it comes to combat. The charge is also in a straight line, so it can be somewhat hard to control around corners.

-The Leap-Frog-

What You Need: Nothing. Every frame and every loadout can do this.

How To Execute: Press and hold Sprint, press crouch to slide, immediately press jump, release sprint. Rinse and repeat.

This is the second fastest method of travel in Warframe that does not require the use of energy. What this looks like is you will slide, jump up into a front-flip that covers more distance than Frost or Rhino can jump by just jumping and sprinting normally, and then upon landing you will roll forward. This is not as fast as the above, but you can still keep pace with a sprinting Loki (and sometimes out-pace him). The major benefit to this is that everyone can do it, regardless of build or loadout. A hidden benefit to the Leap-Frog is that by angling your camera in the middle of your front flip, you can pick the direction of the roll after. This allows you to make even 90 degree turns while not interrupting your motion at all. Another cool feature is that if you melee attack while in the middle of your front flip you will do your weapon's Jump + Melee attack.

The problem with this: Sometimes, the forward roll after the front flip will not execute. It is common when going uphill, so I think it is either an elevation or a forward momentum thing. Holding sprint all the way through the front flip seems to mitigate this problem entirely on flat ground.

Adaigo Says [Paraphrasing]: "If you right-click to zoom while in midair during the front-flip, the jump distance will be increased. You can still control the direction of your roll afterwards by looking in the direction you wish to roll."

I can confirm this indeed adds about a meter to your jump distance. It will prevent you from grabbing onto ledges, however.

-Wallrunning-

How To Execute: While moving forward at a wall, Press and hold Sprint, press and hold jump.

Wallrunning is always faster than just sprinting. If there is an open wall that is runnable next to you, there is no real reason not to run along it for a small little speedboost. The thing to note is that when you jump off a wall by releasing the jump key, your jump will achieve a further distance than both the front-flip from Leap-Frogging and a standard jump while sprinting. It is a bit hard to aim properly because the jump is always at an angle, however. You can also wall-run around corners. If you jump off a wall, then press and hold jump next to another wall, you will continue your run on the next wall and can also switch from a horizontal wallrun to a vertical wallrun.

The problem with this: You can't wallrun everywhere, and for how long you can run is heavily dependent on your frame's stamina/stamina regen. The game can also get really finicky with your inputs (It is hard to describe but you will know what I mean after you try it for a bit).

WupwupTCR Says [Paraphrasing]: "The sooner you jump from a wallrun, the faster and farther you travel. This is affected by sprint speed mods. If you overshoot your jump you can do your midair melee to almost-immediately descend to the ground."

-Play Loki-

What You Need: The Loki Warframe.

How To Execute: Pick Loki as your starter frame, Go to Psamathe in Neptune and kill The Hyena untill he drops all three parts of Loki (Then build it), or buy it in the Market.

Loki has the fastest movement speed and sprint speed. It is pretty self-explanatory. If memory serves, Ash may move at the same speed, but I do not have that suit to test it for sure. I do know that in my time of playing Loki to 30 without any sprint mods, nobody ever seemed to run faster than me.

The problem with this: Unless you started with Loki, it'll be a bit before you can get to Neptune. You also (as the name says) have to play Loki, so if for whatever reason you hate Loki and everyone who plays him, well, there's always the above three methods.

-Wavedashing [Provided by Liacu]-

How To Execute: While moving forward, Press and hold Sprint, press Crouch and immediately release. Rinse and repeat

Essentially, the instant you go into a slide there is a slight burst of speed in doing so. Do this over and over and you will move faster than you would normally by just sprinting. It does not seem to be faster than leap-frogging or knife skating (although it is still faster than regular sprinting), but the major advantage is this trick is very light on input and hard to mess up. You alternate between two buttons; that's it.

The problem with this: Enough sprint speed mods and you will outpace this trick. The burst of speed from sliding is static and does not increase.

-Some Little Tricks-

- You can dodgeroll (Double-tap sprint) through the door lasers in Corvus missions. This is exceedingly hard to time properly, but if you do so you will slip inbetween the second and third laser from the bottom and not be struck by them. I have done this a fair number of times on my Loki frame; I have not attempted it with others.

- Also of note with the Corvus door lasers, if you walk into them while you are almost parallel with them, they will oftentimes knock you onto the other side of them. Dashing abilities (Abilities, not the melee dash) and Loki's invisibility will also get you through them without harm and without needing to shoot the camera.

- Jumping will animation-cancel charge attacks you perform. This is useful on heavy weapons because the attack timing on charged swings is before the animation ends. If you've already hit for damage, the rest of the animation is dead weight. This works for the jumping melee attack as well as it will instantly reset you to the standing pose, allowing you to move.

- Heavier frames seem to have a slightly higher jump height. I am not sure why. Jump heignt may be a percentage of the frame itself's height.

- On heavier frames like Frost and Rhino, simply spamming the forward roll is faster and more stamina-efficient than sprinting.

- Shockwave Moa and Jacklestomp does not hit you if you are in the air or jump over the line.

- Zooming in slows you down when moving on the ground. Zooming in does not slow you down if you are in the air.

- You can wallrun along the guard rails of any catwalk in the Grineer Astroid Base tileset.

- Pressing escape will end the tutorial upon game launch if it occurs.

- More to come later, I am tired.

Edited by Earthworm_Jim

15 answers to this question

What an interesting read. Thank you for the guide.

As for Corpus lasers, I find the slide dash melee can go through it quite reliably and daggers deal pretty good damage with the slide dash melee anyways.

You've also not included a trick called wave dashing. Basically you do the slide dash/crouch but as soon as you do it you go back to normal sprint. You repeat this and you'll basically be bobbing up and down because slide dashing gives a sudden but short speed boost. This is more apparent if you try a slide dash in midair. Keep in mind this will not help if you've stacked a lot of sprint mods because the speed boost doesnt get increased.

some tips about the leap-frog, you can add a right-click zoom at the end of it (the jump after sliding), this way it adds another further jump and rolls at the end, you can also aim the zoom so it's still possible to change direction mid-way too

Edited by Adagio

I'll have to test Wavedashing out and see. I have seen other people doing it but at a glance it did not seem to be much faster in the long run.

With regard to the Corpus lasers, melee dash has never worked as much as I'd like it to for me personally. I'm not sure if there is another trick to it or what.

-Wallrunning-

How To Execute: While moving forward at a wall, Press and hold Sprint, press and hold jump.

Wallrunning is always faster than just sprinting. If there is an open wall that is runnable next to you, there is no real reason not to run along it for a small little speedboost. The thing to note is that when you jump off a wall by releasing the jump key, your jump will achieve a further distance than both the front-flip from Leap-Frogging and a standard jump while sprinting. It is a bit hard to aim properly because the jump is always at an angle, however. You can also wall-run around corners. If you jump off a wall, then press and hold jump next to another wall, you will continue your run on the next wall and can also switch from a horizontal wallrun to a vertical wallrun.

The problem with this: You can't wallrun everywhere, and for how long you can run is heavily dependent on your frame's stamina/stamina regen. The game can also get really finicky with your inputs (It is hard to describe but you will know what I mean after you try it for a bit).

I'd like to add to this.

If you wallrun and subsequently walljump off of a wall, you should notice a fairly nice boost in speed from coming off the wall. From my experience (Using a Loki and Excal) sprint speed does affect this, but the important bit is that the sooner your walljump, meaning you jump off almost after immediately beginning the wallrun, the farther and faster you travel. Of course, this will always be at an angle to do how walljumps and wallrunning works, but this should definitely help with speedrunning and/or moving with frames, so watch where you're going and don't land in pits. Additionally, this method of travel doesn't require much stamina seeing as you only use stamina to initiate the wallrun and again to push off the wall and zoom zoom. Oh, and if you overshoot your jump you can always do your midair melee to almost-immediately descend to the ground.

One other thing: Wavedashing scales extremely well with frame speed, so once "Knife Skating" (also works with any of the normal speed weapons, meaning non heavy) no longer provides a faster travel speed than sprinting with mods, Wavedashing just gets even better. this means nothing anymore because I'm bad

Edited by WupwupTCR

Another thing to add, fire rate doesn't seem to affect the slide dash melee. Had a pretty fast fragor but was still super slow when slide dash meleeing.

I'll have to test Wavedashing out and see. I have seen other people doing it but at a glance it did not seem to be much faster in the long run.

With regard to the Corpus lasers, melee dash has never worked as much as I'd like it to for me personally. I'm not sure if there is another trick to it or what.

Wavedashing definitely does make me faster. I'm 100% sure of it since I end up catching up to people who I couldn't overtake with just sprinting.

I'd like to add to this.

If you wallrun and subsequently walljump off of a wall, you should notice a fairly nice boost in speed from coming off the wall. From my experience (Using a Loki and Excal) sprint speed does affect this, but the important bit is that the sooner your walljump, meaning you jump off almost after immediately beginning the wallrun, the farther and faster you travel. Of course, this will always be at an angle to do how walljumps and wallrunning works, but this should definitely help with speedrunning and/or moving with frames, so watch where you're going and don't land in pits. Additionally, this method of travel doesn't require much stamina seeing as you only use stamina to initiate the wallrun and again to push off the wall and zoom zoom. Oh, and if you overshoot your jump you can always do your midair melee to almost-immediately descend to the ground.

One other thing: Wavedashing scales extremely well with frame speed, so once "Knife Skating" (also works with any of the normal speed weapons, meaning non heavy) no longer provides a faster travel speed than sprinting with mods, Wavedashing just gets even better.

This I can confirm. It's super crazy with enough sprint mods XD

But the wavedashing part less true. It definitely does not make my sprint modded Loki any faster. Slower infact.

Edited by Liacu

Added the first rule of speedrunning and updated information in the guide based on feedback. I will have to see if charge speed possibly affects the speed or recovery time of the melee charge, since it's the only other attribute of a dagger that is higher than other melee weapons.

Curious, but is there a general purpose to this?

I mean, I get that moving fast is handy in many cases, especially when there's nothing to kill at the time or if you just wanna rush a boss.

Wouldn't a rank30 speed mod pretty much negate the need for any of this? (I'm impressed by the effort put into figuring out these things, of course)

I mean, I might be wrong, but my Nyx, with about 30% sprint speed increase(1-2 mods), seems to outrun a Volt(normal helm, not sure if storm affects speed skill) while it's using it's speed buff.

While moving at this speed, controlling is a bit difficult when jumping, so some of these cancel methods do help, but I wouldn't really take so much effort into that kind of movement.

p.s. I'm 100% sure you can dodgeroll through lasers using Volt, too. (I used to do this before I realized the cameras were the cause of the lasers)

Still, pretty cool.

I'll try and learn some of these when I go back to training slow frames.

Edited by FlameLaevateinn

Well it's nice to have for warframes that aren't level 30 which I play all the time because I must never waste exp and I must LEVEL ALL THE THINGS. You may or may not have noticed by I ALWAYS use the wavedashing to the point where its kind of a habit. You're right though these techniques are generally negated by sprint modes because they don't scale with them.

Well it's nice to have for warframes that aren't level 30 which I play all the time because I must never waste exp and I must LEVEL ALL THE THINGS. You may or may not have noticed by I ALWAYS use the wavedashing to the point where its kind of a habit. You're right though these techniques are generally negated by sprint modes because they don't scale with them.

I still wonder how you ended up on my friendlist. (terrible memory)

Well, even though I'm lefthanded, I've always found it annoying to use shift+ctrl to do any form of advanced movement. (pinkie, really...)

Still, fair point.

Guess I might try to learn some of this.

I still wonder how you ended up on my friendlist. (terrible memory)

Well, even though I'm lefthanded, I've always found it annoying to use shift+ctrl to do any form of advanced movement. (pinkie, really...)

Still, fair point.

Guess I might try to learn some of this.

I dunno if this would help but you don't necessarily need to press both buttons. You just need to be quick enough to let go of shift and immediately press ctrl. I'm basically doing a pattern where my pinky goes shift, ctrl, shift, ctrl. I'd beable to do it a lot faster but lo and behold, shift also makes you roll...

I also have no idea how you're on my contacts list. That's the case with most people cause they're just those who I enjoyed having runs with.