Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Button combination in key bindings

DreamerDream

Hello,

In game there is an options to change key bindings for keyboard users, however it lack one feature. Key combination.

You can set only one key per actions. For example you can bind F1 to gear slot 1, but you can't set CTR+1.

Why this is a problem?

There are some players like me who are using small keyboards (60%-65%) which does not have dedicated F1-F12 keys thus it's very uncomfortable to use F1-F12 during game (you need to use number key with Fn Keys).

Also by letting gamers set key combinations you are giving them more versatility and more flexability to customize control. This is just one of those small improvement to QoL that are rather easy to implement.

Theoretically there is AutoHotkey software but in many games it is treated as a cheat (which is a little stupid). Nowadays mouses and keyboards can have own software that let you rebind keys, set shortcuts, create macros and so one and magically they are not detected as cheats.  Anyway, using autohotkey in multi-player games (including Warframe) is a stupid way to get ban so I want to avoid using it.

It would be nice to have this feature implemented in game.

Kind Regards,
Michal

I remember WoW allows you to bind Shift+number for hotkey. It was a nicer way to organize millions of skills so a player can put his heal on 1 and self-heal for Shift+1.

It would be a nice QoL so I could move all my binding from number pad to left side of keyboard. Not many games on market does this so I don't know if it's difficulty to code it.

It could be an engine limitation. Just as there are games where the engine can handle multiple functions to a single key. Like Unreal Engine where you can bind run to the same buttons that move you around without causing errors. All engines come with their different benefits and drawbacks. Heck, UE still has UI issues when it comes to currencies greater than 999999, so many games still settle with that since they dont wanna fiddle with changing it on that engine.

edit: But yeah, a secondary input option would be great aslong as it isnt mandatory. I hate games where ctrl and shift are hardcoded to secondary funtions only and cant be bound on their own.

Personally, I feel that video games are long overdue for a key mapping improvement. While I haven't touched in quite a while, I remember MAME having easily the best key customisation systems out there. You could bind the same key to multiple functions, multiple functions to the same key and almost any key combo to a single function. Then there's City of Heroes, which allowed you to bind a key either as a hold or as a toggle. You could bind a key to, for instance, "left+" and that would move you left on keypress then stop moving on key release. Alternately, you could bind it to "left++." That would cause you to start moving left on keypress, then stop moving left on a following keypress.

For whatever reason (likely lack of pressure from the player base), video game developers slack off on key customisation. We keep seeing hardbound keys that we can't change (like the screenshot key here), mandatory key combos and blocks on binding the same key to multiple things. Console players often have it worse, either having NO option to customise gamepad buttons at all or only being able to choose between presets. I think it's high time we demanded better because developers aren't going to do it otherwise.

• 9 months later...

Archived