Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's the purpose of daily standing caps?

Lotus-123

Question

I don't understand the purpose behind daily standing caps for the syndicates. Because of these caps, I almost never do the syndicate missions. What's the point in doing syndicate missions if I'm already capped because of normal missions? It feels like just another way to reduce rewards for missions played. Maybe DE just wants us to leave the game from time to time, and actually go outside for exercise and human interaction.

Okay, I get it. You're telling me that the mission reward points still get applied even after the cap. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel cheated. If I do the mission before the cap, I get more syndicate points. Same amount of effort on my part. Less reward.

After all this discussion, I still don't like the arbitrary limitations that are imposed at many points in this game for that very simplistic reason: the amount of player effort expended does not get rewarded consistently

..for example of how the arbitrary limits feel like the player is being cheated: I just left a mission. Had a great squad/team and made a lot of progress. Nonetheless, it was bittersweet because 3 weapons went to Max Rank, and 2 syndicates maxed out. So I'm naturally thinking that I 'earned' even more during this mission, but the affinity/experience was discarded. Yep, I realize that sounds petty, but the last few minutes of the mission were basically wasted time because I got nothing for it.

18 hours ago, Lotus-123 said:

Different strokes for different folks. This game accommodates many different types of play. 

Yeah... I'm not going to do that. Memorization may come easily to some people, not me. 

i can appreciate that it isn't the most entertaining thing to do, in particular that you can only do them once so you always have to maximize your profits from each Mission rather than being able to keep an eye on while on your way to doing something.

Helminth offers a solution for that now, Golden Instinct will direct you towards important pickups.

Am 22.8.2021 um 18:11 schrieb Lotus-123:

Maybe DE just wants us to leave the game from time to time, and actually go outside for exercise and human interaction.

That's actually the reason why the caps were implemented.

The first cap (I've forgotten which one it was) was actually uncapped, but with a lot slower progression..

Then they noticed that there were quite a few players were playing almoist none stop to grind the stuff out.

So to protect palyers from their own stupidity, they introduced daily caps.

It it very similar to the situation with kubrows, when hoese were introduced. At the start you were able to re-roll your doggos appearence by using Platinum. Some players completly overused this option to the point were Scott and Steve were like: "Carp.... those idiots will ruin their lifes if we let them..."

6 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

Out of curiosity... How long do your missions usually take to complete?

Understandably, different mission types take different amounts of time. A Capture mission probably takes less than 4 minutes on average, but if I have to wander around chasing down a Cephalon Simaris target, it can take much longer. I haven't performed any objective experiments to explore my tolerance, but after 20 minutes on Ceres Gabii, I'm quite ready to take a break from the tension and uncramp my fingers from the keyboard.

On 2021-08-22 at 1:45 PM, Lotus-123 said:

Another player told me that the syndicate missions didn't help after the cap. However, I just ran a syndicate mission and you're absolutely right. (although, I suspect that I'm only getting the syndicate award for completing the mission, so it's less standing than if I'd played the mission before hitting the cap)  The result is that I still am getting smaller rewards for missions. Just one of the game mechanics that seem to discourage long sessions of game play.

You get the mission reward, modified by your sigil (if any). Kills etc. during the mission are still subject to the cap.

6 minutes ago, Lotus-123 said:

but after 20 minutes on Ceres Gabii

... Which is also where, coincidentally, Rotation C rewards happen...

Here's the thing... Memorization is secondary now.

6 hours ago, taiiat said:

Golden Instinct will direct you towards important pickups.

... Might want to have this subsumed into your Warframes, Lotus-123. In your specific case, this is the perfect Ability.

3 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

Might want to have this subsumed into your Warframes, Lotus-123.

Guess I'll have to start reading up on how to do Helminth. Haven't done anything with it yet except to create an infected Kubrow companion. Thanks for the suggestion.

On 2021-08-22 at 7:57 PM, Lotus-123 said:

I'm straying from the topic a bit, but the whole 'Medallions' thing just doesn't appeal to me.

I guess you never stood still by the fact that you can stockpile those medallions as much as you like and.... when a prime warframe and prime weapons come out that you don't have you simply trade a whole bunch of them in for relics. Lots and lots of relics which means that if you have lots of medallions then the chances are good that you'll have a fair bit of relics specific for those prime parts.

In other words, in stead of having to farm a certain mission over and over and over again to get the relics drop there, multiplied by the amount of relics that are needed for all the weapon parts and warframe parts, you instead just do some syndicate missions when you fancy, pick up some of the medallions in every mission that has them and you don't wear yourself out grinding away for hours on end to get the relics you need when the new primes come out.

Or you see someone in trade chat wanting to buy a syndicate only mod that you have access to but not enough standing at that moment in time. Just trade in some medallions for standing to buy the mod or arch wing weapon piece and get yourself some plat.

9 hours ago, Lotus-123 said:

After all this discussion, I still don't like the arbitrary limitations that are imposed at many points in this game for that very simplistic reason: the amount of player effort expended does not get rewarded consistently

yes. but that's the status quo for F2P games (and even a fair amount of Retail ones that are a live service). game systems that are made to be chores, rather than to be fun.
because chores gets people to boost your user numbers and exposure to Microtransactions, fun doesn't.

4 minutes ago, taiiat said:

yes. but that's the status quo for F2P games (and even a fair amount of Retail ones that are a live service). game systems that are made to be chores, rather than to be fun.
because chores gets people to boost your user numbers and exposure to Microtransactions, fun doesn't.

Can't help but feel that if a game becomes a chore, then a player has fallen right into the business-themed trap.

That's why I often like the caps; can potentially force me to take a step back and decide whether I'm annoyed because I was having fun getting the standing, or if I needed an outside influence to tell me to stop.

6 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Can't help but feel that if a game becomes a chore, then a player has fallen right into the business-themed trap.

yes, that is the Catch22 that games checkmate Players with. if you want to play the game at all, you have to fulfill this checklist of chores. otherwise, you can't play.

the Player has no say in whether they participate in these systems, because they entirely drive whether they can play the game literally at all or not. since the majority of 'content' will be run through them, Et Cetera. so if you ignore them then you just don't get any content at all.

and it also ofcourse puts a limit on the amount that you can play, save for playing just to burn time. since the vast majority of Players in every game only does things that they have a progression related reason to do. so it also semi-enforces a cap on what the Player can do, as well.
"""you must play atleast this much but not more than this"""

17 minutes ago, taiiat said:

yes, that is the Catch22 that games checkmate Players with. if you want to play the game at all, you have to fulfill this checklist of chores. otherwise, you can't play.

the Player has no say in whether they participate in these systems, because they entirely drive whether they can play the game literally at all or not. since the majority of 'content' will be run through them, Et Cetera. so if you ignore them then you just don't get any content at all.

Good thing a lot of the chores align with my sense of fun, blurring the subjective line 👍. When they don't, that's when I reconsider doing them, which may well mean I put the game down, yeah

edit: Saw you edited the original topic to add a fair point

double edit: 🤔 I feel like we need an additional term. I’ve used “Chore” to both reference what a thing is supposed to be, and also how a thing feels.

On 2021-08-22 at 12:11 PM, Lotus-123 said:

I don't understand the purpose behind daily standing caps for the syndicates. Because of these caps, I almost never do the syndicate missions. What's the point in doing syndicate missions if I'm already capped because of normal missions? It feels like just another way to reduce rewards for missions played. Maybe DE just wants us to leave the game from time to time, and actually go outside for exercise and human interaction.

In essence, YES. 

That's the whole point. If you just play a reasonable amount every day and some time doing other stuff, you don't burn out, and the game gets nice, pretty useage numbers showing its players playing daily or almost every day for 1-4 hours or so. 

Perfect. Just what the investors want. But if you do everything in a short time, get burnt out and have everything you want for now and leave for weeks or longer, what good is that temporary stats spike showing you playing 8-12 hours per day for a few weeks? 

They need consistent, daily play. That's the whole idea. 

45 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I’ve used “Chore” to both reference what a thing is supposed to be, and also how a thing feels.

applies sufficiently enough for both ways if you ask me. something can be fundamentally designed like a chore (just meeting some quota of Rat Pelts or other 'meh' tasks), or something that is complex and detailed could feel like a chore if it overstays its welcome or something like that.

Just now, taiiat said:

applies sufficiently enough for both ways if you ask me. something can be fundamentally designed like a chore (just meeting some quota of Rat Pelts or other 'meh' tasks), or something that is complex and detailed could feel like a chore if it overstays its welcome or something like that.

Yeah. I felt comfortable enough using it as such, but in hindsight was like “Potential misunderstandings?”. No big deal, just giving some mild thought to distinctive terminology. Might end up using a different word in the future if I happen upon one and can be bothered

On 2021-08-22 at 11:11 AM, Lotus-123 said:

its a progress stop gap.
to keep players from progressing too fast.
it also works as a reward system for doing mastery rank ups

So after reading through all your whining I'm gonna plainly say this game is not for you. It's a grind and a slog, you have to repeatedly do some things 10, 20, 50 times to get what you want or pony up some money/plat to buy them. If you can't even take the time to find a few medallions in a mission then you definitely won't do well in the long term if your mindset is "oh I got 'cheated' because I didn't maintain a steady rate of advancement for every second of 'work' I put into the 'chores' of this game." Guess what!? There's gonna be wasted affinity, chances to get syndicate rep, chances to trade in materials for syndicate/faction rep, missed rewards because it's too boring to open all the containers, lockers, breakables, etc. If you can't just relax and have fun taking 10-30 mins in an exterminate mission that you finished in 5-10mins learning where all the medallions tend to be in this 'game' then you should seriously consider playing a different kind of game.

15 minutes ago, (XBOX)Greenguy5000 said:

you do realize the syndicate missions bypass the cap

Another player told me that the syndicate missions didn't help after the cap. However, I just ran a syndicate mission and you're absolutely right. (although, I suspect that I'm only getting the syndicate award for completing the mission, so it's less standing than if I'd played the mission before hitting the cap)  The result is that I still am getting smaller rewards for missions. Just one of the game mechanics that seem to discourage long sessions of game play.

Archived