Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arcane helmets should be "de-retired"

Cerikus

Ever since there was the screw up with the scorpion arcane helmet (twice) I am of the opinion that the arcane helmets could actually be reintroduced into the game.

I don't see any reason why not. Most of them are pretty weak, but they are a cool item to farm.

It is a content that is probably going to stay in the game forever, since you allowed them to be kept in our invetories, but they have been unobtainable for quite some time.

It would be a great addition to nightwave shop rotations, or maybe they could drop in Railjack or anywhere really.

I feel like it's an easy oportunity to refresh some droptables or vendors.

They tie stats to cosmetics, and they interfered with fashionframe. Minmaxers especially felt that they HAD to have a specific helmet if they wanted to have an optimized build. The devs (and many players at the time) felt that this was not good for the game, and the devs decided to remove them from rotation (while allowing existing copies to remain, to respect player's effort). If they add them in now it will likely have the same result.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be added back in, just giving context for why they were removed in the first place. An alternative could be making the stat bonuses into arcanes or something, or maybe tying them into Helminth as a sort of selectable passive tied to specific frames, so the whole form vs. function thing doesn't show up again.

Would probably be a good idea to give people who have the helmets auto-unlocks of those passives. Then have future passive unlocks be dropped elsewhere, like you said.

1 minute ago, Archeyef said:

They tie stats to cosmetics, and they interfered with fashionframe. Minmaxers especially felt that they HAD to have a specific helmet if they wanted to have an optimized build. The devs (and many players at the time) felt that this was not good for the game, and the devs decided to remove them from rotation (while allowing existing copies to remain, to respect player's effort). If they add them in now it will likely have the same result.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be added back in, just giving context for why they were removed in the first place. An alternative could be making the stat bonuses into arcanes or something, or maybe tying them into Helminth as a sort of selectable passive tied to specific frames, so the whole form vs. function thing doesn't show up again.

Would probably be a good idea to give people who have the helmets auto-unlocks of those passives. Then have future passive unlocks be dropped elsewhere, like you said.

Yeah.. that's a good point.

How about 3rd arcane slot only for these? If you want to minmax a certain warframe you can unlock the slot by item that you could buy from let's say Teshin or elsewhere really.
All existing helmets would transform into the "new" arcanes and they can be reintroduced easily.

But that would be devtime.

I hate half the helmets in the game, and I don't want to have to work around an ugly helmet for fashion. If they bring it back in any capacity, they should instead just make it a roving permanent buff for that frame, so you can still use whatever helmet you want without losing stats or whatever.

My idea has been that the real issue here is, even if they are weak, we should be able to try out anything that affects gameplay, however, they are mostly weak buffs, and collectors have had these as collectors items for a longo time. On top of that, the reason they were retired in the first place WAS a good reason. Cosmetics should not be tied to gameplay stats. 

That's why I have had a proposed solution. 

First: Leave the current arcane helmets and old existing blueprints exactly as is. 

Second: Make arcanes that can be used on any Warframe in either of your two warframe arcane slots (not warframe specific like the helms) that have actually useful stat levels of the +, -'s on the old arcane helmets. Make them farmable by doing derelicts with dragon keys while on steel path mode.

Then, we can try out the + and -'s of the interesting stats at an actually useful level, the collectors items can stay collectors items, fashion will be disconected effectively from stats and everyone will be happy. 

And since they all have negative stats, we could call them "corupted arcanes", and then it would make sense making them farmable through the derelicts. Like, Corrupted Scorpion, Corrupted Esprit, Corrupted Chorus, Corrupted Pulse, etc. 

Could just introduce the typical MMO "transmog" system. Get the helmets as per usual, and if you don't like the design, grind out some mats and a special blue print that will add the appearance of a standard helmet to the stats of an arcane helmet. (My Ember Arcane Phoenix is waiting...)

I'd rather they convert them to 3 level "noobie arcanes" the first arcanes you get in the game to teach about what the heck arcanes are where they live and how to install them.  They already cost an arcane slot and arcanes are one of the least explained system in the games.

Archived