Suggestion: Currency Station / Money Table

Rydian

There's more currencies in the game than there used to be.  There's credits, platinum, ducats, holokeys, nightwave cred, crowns, and more... but a lot of newer and returning players don't understand how to get them or sometimes even where to use them.

Traditionally Warframe has relied on showing your currency in the upper-right, but that has a few limitations.

1. It's not always displayed.
  2. What's listed is inconsistent and often depends on what menu you're in.
  3. Many players don't realize they can hover up in the corner for descriptions.
  4. Some existing currency hover descriptions aren't quite enough, lacking info on obtaining and spending.

I suggest making a currency station or money table in the ship, probably near the market.  I suggest this location because it's thematically relevant, easy for new players to spot, and currently a little bare.  It should probably have some sort of holographic preview/display (cycling through sets of currencies or something) so that new users can see that it does something.

When interacted with, the station should bring up a screen that shows a grid of currencies.  It should include the name of the currency and the amount owned.  The description for each currency should include both general info on obtaining it, and what it's used for.

"Players can just use their inventory" - Things you have 0 of don't show up there, and some things never show up there,.

Here's some mockups, though the real one should display as many currencies as possible.

ssDgP2q.png

zR2E90w.png

• Like 6

Might be nice to have, though I don't think a whole new station is necessary. It could easily be relegated to a new tab in the codex. However, for new players it would be nice if DE actually made a tutorial that brought attention to the codex so that new players would be sure to check it. And returning players should get a message in their inbox about it.

20 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

What's the distinction for what is currency and what isn't? Endo and Kuva are often treated like resources, yet in the Mod Bench they're shown at the top, like currency. And Endo isn't used for crafting, which makes it less of a resource.

Then you have Ducats which, thanks to the introduction of the Paracesis, is now both a currency AND a resource. Which will confuse players who don't know about Baro already even more if they get the Paracesis blueprint beforehand, and drastically more if they don't already know what ducats are. When I got Paracesis's recipe, it was after I took a long break after a point where I had not gotten very far. (I think I was like MR6 or 7 when I came back that time long ago) So not only was I at a point where I reasonably wouldn't know what ducats were, even if I did it was so long that I would not have been able to remember.

Thankfully the warframe wiki is there to help, but for something as basic as ducats it'd be nice if there was an easily accessible ingame archive of information for stuff like this.

33 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

What's the distinction for what is currency and what isn't?

Well, first, I don't think it would hurt to have an in game list of all resources and currencies. (Not that this would happen) if DE does decide to add the currency table, it could easily have 2 tabs; one for resources and one for currency. Though, as I said in my previous comment, I think putting it in the codex is easiest, and there in the codex there can be a tab for resources and a tab for currency.

Secondly; DE isn't a machine. It's literally up to their discretion to decide what is worth putting in the currency table and what doesn't get put there. Whether there are exceptions or not, this is not like a computer where because of this exception the whole thing is gonna crash. If DE wanted to implement this, I'm sure they would determine what resources/credits are worth displaying; I'm sure we all have debates about what is or is not a currency. I'd argue granum crowns are not really a currency either. But at the end of the day, when we are talking about a hypothetical situation, the nuance of it doesn't really matter. It's the concept that is the important.

13 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

What's the distinction for what is currency and what isn't? Endo and Kuva are often treated like resources, yet in the Mod Bench they're shown at the top, like currency. And Endo isn't used for crafting, which makes it less of a resource.

I'd actually like those to be shown. All in one convenient place. Show void traces too.