Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Narrative issue with the Once Awake quest

Darthplagueis13

You know how the Once Awake quest is the players first introduction to the Infested? And how you unlock it through the Mercury Junction and how the entire quest takes place on Mercury, the third planet you unlock in the game?

Well... The big reveal that there's another enemy faction is kind of ruined by a very simple thing: Dark Sectors. There's a grande total of 4 Dark Sector Missions for new players to enter before they are  supposed to have ever even heard about the Infested: Tikal, Coba, Romula and Malva.

Quite ironically, Mercury itself does in turn not feature any Dark Sector missions.

Simply put: It is really easy to spoil the existence of the infestation to new players so it doesn't come as a surprise whatsoever. I remember doing the quest and thinking "C'mon Space Mom, I've killed a few hundred of those things already, why are you making a fuss about it now?"

Maybe either the quest could be moved to start sooner or Dark Sectors could be locked behind its completion.

10 minutes ago, Darthplagueis13 said:

Simply put: It is really easy to spoil the existence of the infestation to new players so it doesn't come as a surprise whatsoever. I remember doing the quest and thinking "C'mon Space Mom, I've killed a few hundred of those things already, why are you making a fuss about it now?"

Why does it actually matter though? What does the quest tell you? It seems to me that the quest simply explains the Infestation's origin - prior to that we are left to kill them without thinking about how they came about. I see no reason why we should hide the Infested faction behind a quest. 

Spoiler

I had a look at a walkthrough (wiki), apparently it is suggested that the infested "disappeared a long time ago". That suggests the infested predated this quest occurring.

Well the bigger issue for me is that stuff like Deimos, Eris and the presence of infested across the whole origin system contradicts what is said in the quest itself.

Lotus acts like "omg this shouldn't be possible, where did grineer find the infested??? *surprise pikatchu face*", but in reality the origin system is full of them.

Unfortunatelly the quest is a relict of the old Warframe and needs a narative change, because it doesn't make any sense anymore. 

1 hour ago, Cerikus said:

Well the bigger issue for me is that stuff like Deimos, Eris and the presence of infested across the whole origin system contradicts what is said in the quest itself.

Lotus acts like "omg this shouldn't be possible, where did grineer find the infested??? *surprise pikatchu face*", but in reality the origin system is full of them.

Unfortunatelly the quest is a relict of the old Warframe and needs a narative change, because it doesn't make any sense anymore. 

Yea you know you don't get to deimos or eris before mercury, right?

8 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Yea you know you don't get to deimos or eris before mercury, right?

Yeah I know.

Imagine you have just moved into a new neighbourhood. As it happens your friend Lotus has lived in this neighbourhood for hundreds of years. 
You go out with her first day  and you find a rabid dog. Your friend Lotus says: "Omg, this shoudn't be possible, where did this rabid dog appear?"
The next day you find out that the whole town is plagued by rabid dogs.

Is your friend Lotus a liar? Or do we have a narative problem?

3 minutes ago, Cerikus said:

Yeah I know.

Imagine you have just moved into a new neighbourhood. As it happens your friend Lotus has lived in this neighbourhood for hundreds of years. 
You go out with her first day  and you find a rabid dog. Your friend Lotus says: "Omg, this shoudn't be possible, where did this rabid dog appear?"
The next day you find out that the whole town is plagued by rabid dogs.

Is your friend Lotus a liar? Or do we have a narative problem?

Far be it from me to defend DE's lazy storytelling but Deimos only got "discovered" semi-recently. I don't know when Eris was introduced, but early Lotus may just not know about some of the planets you discover later.

Also yes, she is a liar, so there's that.

A lot of lore fell to the wayside with the updates to the game made after. One of DE (Rebecca, I think) started a newbie alt a while back and actually mentioned a lot of stuff is either bunk, no longer relevant or not relevant at all, or otherwise desperately in need of some love and attention. So hopefully once Sisters get ironed out and the next major content we're getting comes out and gets smoothed out, low level content will start getting updated again so new players can have a more accurate experience with the game and the lore can be a little less left-out-in-the-sun-to-dry.

1 minute ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Far be it from me to defend DE's lazy storytelling but Deimos only got "discovered" semi-recently. I don't know when Eris was introduced, but early Lotus may just not know about some of the planets you discover later.

Also yes, she is a liar, so there's that.

Yes.

Deimos phased out of the void when the heart broke. So yeah, recently. (Also I find it ridiculus that you can do the quest before doing Archwing quest, because the Heart of Deimos quest begins with you landing on the planet by archwing, which you don't own.)
IIRC Eris used to be a Corpus planet. 

Long time ago Once awake was perfectly fine, but then stuff happened and the story of the quest stopped making sense.

It's the same thing with Alad V. Imagine you are a new player. You see him once on Jupiter and have no interaction with him. Then out of nowhere he talks about stuff in second dream and you have no idea what is he talking about. The reason is that stuff happened. Story was tied to events that don't exist anymore. The amout of interaction with Alad V prior to Second dream was huge. But is there any kind of explenation why he is perfectly fine on Jupiter, infested on Eris, has a healed scar on face during second dream and onward? No.

When DE introduced Once awake the story of infested was. "They are suppose to be long gone. How did they appear here. Damn Grineer are experimenting on them." 

That does not seem true anymore. 

But maybe you are right. Lotus does lie in the quest :D just like she does all the time.

hace 3 horas, Cerikus dijo:

IIRC Eris used to be a Corpus planet. 

I dont remember where I read this but it said that after a war against the infested these were pushed to Eris being their last bastion so maybe they were so weak that were considered completely erradicated.

Anyways they should start filling the holes on the story.

3 hours ago, VoidArkhangel said:

I dont remember where I read this but it said that after a war against the infested these were pushed to Eris being their last bastion so maybe they were so weak that were considered completely erradicated.

Well I meant it not as a lore fact, but as a gameplay thing.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Eris - Prior to Update 14.0 (2014-07-18), the  Corpus were the controlling faction.

But I just found that according to the wiki after the collapse of the Orokin Empire the infestation was unattended and it could just do whatever it wanted. 

So that means that Lotus being surprised that the infestation is present makes even less sense now. 

3 hours ago, VoidArkhangel said:

Anyways they should start filling the holes on the story.

yeah.. they gotta

Archived