Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare missions not allowing Vapor Specter?

Lotus-123

Question

Failed a Nightmare Defense mission last night. It was an Eneregy Drain Mode mission. Part of the reason that I failed the mission is due to the fact that the game wouldn't let me deploy a Vapor Specter. I verified that I still have 7 specters on my gear wheel. Is it normal to deny vapor specters in Nightmare missions?

24 answers to this question

Just now, Flannoit said:

Oh so THAT'S where I got that from, huh. I had Constitution from before I last took a break and had absolutely no idea where I got it from.

Actually, Vauban doesn't really need strength. A 40% strength vauban can perform super well with 3-4 Flechette orbs on top of his Vortex in Steel Path. Hard CC + constant damage with enemies mostly being forced to be in headshot range of his orbs makes him decently efficient. To speed it up, bring any decent gun or even just abuse melee finishers being easier in his vortex.

Doesn't Vauban's Bastille, specifically the amount of enemies it holds affected by strength? I mean... I agree with effectiveness of your strategy, I have a build thats similar, but if the person wanted to play extra safe, wouldn't more enemies suspended and CCed be a more comfortable fit? Mind you, I usually use that build (higher strength) for solo SP Interception where I want them to hang/suspend.

2 hours ago, Butterfly85 said:

Why do defence?

One reason that I choose to do defense missions is that these type of missions usually encourage close proximity of the players - from which I gain shared affinity for ranking up equipment. I don't have Hildryn yet, but I'll get there eventually.

11 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Dying is a normal part of Warframe

I'm struggling to get rid of old habits. In my other gaming experiences, dying was 'bad, bad, bad!' (I just finished reading Project Hail Mary - great book btw.) ... anyway, in Warframe, dying is just part of the game play. In other games, it was always important to Level Up. In simple terms, this meant that you got more powerful, and the enemies that used to kill you weren't as much of a problem - but in Warframe, your MR is much less important than the mods you have, and how well you can apply them. No other game that I've played has ever required so much research. I probably spend more time on the wiki, youtube, twitch, and discussion sites than I spend in game.

Sold my Rhino to open a slot for another warframe, but now I'm earning platinum for slots and collecting parts for Rhino Prime. Thanks for that video.

5 hours ago, Lotus-123 said:

When I read about those quests and watch Youtube videos of them, I conclude that: "I'm going to die if I try that". I'm just not that good at parkour and don't have whatever mods they're using. From what I've read, I can't repeat the Inaros quest, so I'm very reluctant to try it and fail.

When people talk about quests not being "repeatable", they generally mean that you can't do it again after beating it, or that if you can do it again you can't get the rewards again.  If you die while doing a quest you will not lose access to the quest and can try as many times as you like.

Dying is a normal part of Warframe, and even people with thousands of hours are going to die sometimes.  That's part of why the game gives you multiple lives so you can get back up again and keep playing.  As long as you can beat your mission, that's really all that matters.  So I'd recommend you go for it!

But to help with your survival, I'm sending you this Brozime video that contains a very simple build for Rhino that even a new player should be able to work towards.  With this you should we well on your way to success!  Good luck!

For Nightmare missions, make sure you look at the nightmare mission conditions before you attempt them.  Depending on your play style, gear and mission type, some will be much easier or harder than others.  For example, Timed and Vampire are trivial for Extermination missions, but can be tricky for Spy missions.  No Shield can be really tough for some frames, but is the same as playing the normal mission for Inaros.

You were not able to cast your Wuclone because you were in an Energy Drain mission.  The only way to cast your 1 is to gain over 25 energy and cast it before it drains below 25.  Either that, or increase your Energy Efficiency so it costs less.  No one likes to die, but in order for you to get better equipment and progress further along in the game, you really have to accept it as a possibility and run harder missions.  Remember that you are given multiple lives so the only thing you lose is a small amount of affinity.  Ultimately, the choice is yours, so good luck and have fun!

5 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Wukong's twin won't turn on you. 

Good to know. Actually was playing Wukong since I don't trust that Public missions will have any squad members to help. Unfortunately couldn't invoke the twin even at the start of the mission, and no matter how many energy drops that I picked up, they would drain away before I could hit the 1.

19 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I recommend Exergis, Tenet Arca Plasma

Uh.. thanks? Definitely not things that I have yet.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I have a build that seems more similar to yours. I also have a Bastille centric build, (and then i have a meme build, but lets not discuss that one lol) I use the Bastille build for solo Steel Path Interception, Excavation where I don't necessarily want to kill enemies, just defend an objective etc my main point though is that you and I can do Steel Path solo. We probably have Arcane Energise and a few Spoiler Mode Spoilers. Builds don't need to be the same, they just need to be effective, and we could probably fine tune the builds per our play style. This thread, the guy asking for help, has to contend with Energy Drain mode. The Energy economy is different. They also seem worried about dying (OP if you read this, try not put too much pressure on yourself) etc 

Oh yeah, Volt is a good suggestion. Wukong maybe as well, since one cast and it won't matter if your energy is gone, and if OP likes having a Spectre, then this is one way, and unlike the other Spectres, Wukong's twin won't turn on you. 

Mag would be good, if not for the energy drain restriction. You'd want to cast her abilities frequently and I doubt OP has that many Energy Pads to spam. I hope you enjoy Mag though, she is great, def Steel Path viable. Have fun with her and your favourite projectile weapons. I recommend Exergis, Tenet Arca Plasma and Penta. 

I'm currently focusing on my subsume catalogue, which has actually greatly pleased me with how many frames I ended up actually liking in comparison to what I initially expected from them. Some frames I might actually put some effort to once I get around to getting their primes for MR, though some will be trashed as soon as they get maxed. (Like Inaros and Atlas. Unfortunately, I heavily dislike both of their kits and general playstyles, so they're max-and-dump for me)

Wukong is definitely a good idea, especially since the twin is grossly efficient with melee, though a bit less so with guns. For a no-energy-mode, Lavos (if you have/are willing to put the time into Deimos rep) is good since he literally doesn't use energy since he employs a cooldown system. Otherwise you can build a tanky frame like Rhino, though you won't be able to abuse his Iron Skin to make him truly immortal.

2 minutes ago, Flannoit said:

I don't usually run Bastille, so I'm not 100% sure. There's an augment for Vortex that increases its duration up to a certain point for every enemy caught in it, so that increases its duration a lot. (Enough where I can abandon Excavators 30 seconds early minimum) So with high duration, efficiency, and range, you can pretty reliably keep up Vortex.

And that is true - steel path is not relevant to Nightmare mode. I only brought it up since it's currently the strongest content enemy bulk-wise since that was more relevant to his Strength needs to be effective.

I have a few personal preferences for Nightmare in general (which I usually only go Nightmare when Nightwave tells me to, oopsie) like Gauss, Harrow, or Revenant. Two of which I highly doubt someone struggling with low level Nightmare will want to bother putting the effort into two of the most obnoxious/difficult game modes available, one of which being the buggiest on earth.

There's some really good easy-ish to obtain frames that can handle Nightmare if built even slightly well, though it does obviously get better and easier once you get access to mods like Adaptation or Rolling Guard. (Which OP probably doesn't)

If you have a Dojo, I recommend Volt (if you don't already have him) since if you build him for strength and duration, you can at worst hard stun enemies for the duration and at best basically melt them. Excalibur can do pretty well too but you'd have to be more tactical about his Radial Blind/Roar. I've never used Mag before, but I'm sure someone with  more experience with her can tell you how to use her well at low levels. (I won't have my Mag for about two more days)

I have a build that seems more similar to yours. I also have a Bastille centric build, (and then i have a meme build, but lets not discuss that one lol) I use the Bastille build for solo Steel Path Interception, Excavation where I don't necessarily want to kill enemies, just defend an objective etc my main point though is that you and I can do Steel Path solo. We probably have Arcane Energise and a few Spoiler Mode Spoilers. Builds don't need to be the same, they just need to be effective, and we could probably fine tune the builds per our play style. This thread, the guy asking for help, has to contend with Energy Drain mode. The Energy economy is different. They also seem worried about dying (OP if you read this, try not put too much pressure on yourself) etc 

Oh yeah, Volt is a good suggestion. Wukong maybe as well, since one cast and it won't matter if your energy is gone, and if OP likes having a Spectre, then this is one way, and unlike the other Spectres, Wukong's twin won't turn on you. 

Mag would be good, if not for the energy drain restriction. You'd want to cast her abilities frequently and I doubt OP has that many Energy Pads to spam. I hope you enjoy Mag though, she is great, def Steel Path viable. Have fun with her and your favourite projectile weapons. I recommend Exergis, Tenet Arca Plasma and Penta. 

1 minute ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

So if someone wanted to lean more on Bastille, to keep enemies off a defence objective, then building for strength would be fine? Like if hypothetically there was constant energy drain, they could only afford to cast an ability once or twice and they have trouble keeping defence objective safe, in just Nightmare missions? You get my point? 

I don't doubt your strat... but you are talking about doing Steel Path... the guy in this thread, we don't even know if he has Vauban. On top of energy drain, setting up 3-4 Flechette orbs and frequent Vortexes... and they are struggling with Nightmare high teens/low 20's. Might be better to go for beginner strats for now? Enemies suspended, they can pick enemies off at their own pace/discretion etc 

(Also OP if you don't have Vauban, let us know what Frames you do have, and we could try suggest other strats) 

I don't usually run Bastille, so I'm not 100% sure. There's an augment for Vortex that increases its duration up to a certain point for every enemy caught in it, so that increases its duration a lot. (Enough where I can abandon Excavators 30 seconds early minimum) So with high duration, efficiency, and range, you can pretty reliably keep up Vortex.

And that is true - steel path is not relevant to Nightmare mode. I only brought it up since it's currently the strongest content enemy bulk-wise since that was more relevant to his Strength needs to be effective.

I have a few personal preferences for Nightmare in general (which I usually only go Nightmare when Nightwave tells me to, oopsie) like Gauss, Harrow, or Revenant. Two of which I highly doubt someone struggling with low level Nightmare will want to bother putting the effort into two of the most obnoxious/difficult game modes available, one of which being the buggiest on earth.

There's some really good easy-ish to obtain frames that can handle Nightmare if built even slightly well, though it does obviously get better and easier once you get access to mods like Adaptation or Rolling Guard. (Which OP probably doesn't)

If you have a Dojo, I recommend Volt (if you don't already have him) since if you build him for strength and duration, you can at worst hard stun enemies for the duration and at best basically melt them. Excalibur can do pretty well too but you'd have to be more tactical about his Radial Blind/Roar. I've never used Mag before, but I'm sure someone with  more experience with her can tell you how to use her well at low levels. (I won't have my Mag for about two more days)

9 minutes ago, Flannoit said:

Vortex has no limit, if Bastille does.

So if someone wanted to lean more on Bastille, to keep enemies off a defence objective, then building for strength would be fine? Like if hypothetically there was constant energy drain, they could only afford to cast an ability once or twice and they have trouble keeping defence objective safe, in just Nightmare missions? You get my point? 

I don't doubt your strat... but you are talking about doing Steel Path... the guy in this thread, we don't even know if he has Vauban. On top of energy drain, setting up 3-4 Flechette orbs and frequent Vortexes... and they are struggling with Nightmare high teens/low 20's. Might be better to go for beginner strats for now? Enemies suspended, they can pick enemies off at their own pace/discretion etc 

(Also OP if you don't have Vauban, let us know what Frames you do have, and we could try suggest other strats) 

5 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Doesn't Vauban's Bastille, specifically the amount of enemies it holds affected by strength? I mean... I agree with effectiveness of your strategy, I have a build thats similar, but if the person wanted to play extra safe, wouldn't more enemies suspended and CCed be a more comfortable fit? Mind you, I usually use that build (higher strength) for solo SP Interception where I want them to hang/suspend.

Vortex has no limit, if Bastille does.

16 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

You get dual stat mods. Things like Constitution.

Oh so THAT'S where I got that from, huh. I had Constitution from before I last took a break and had absolutely no idea where I got it from.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

If its an energy drain Defence you are having trouble with, you could try Vauban? Build for Max Range, with a bit of strength and duration. Also if you spam energy pizzas/energy pads, you can produce enough energy to use your abilities. If you are solo, you will also benefit from less enemies, so can feel daunting, but is doable with some practice. Khora could work as well etc

Let us know if there are any other Nightmare missions being an issue, there are usually ways to get around them. Good Luck!! 

Actually, Vauban doesn't really need strength. A 40% strength vauban can perform super well with 3-4 Flechette orbs on top of his Vortex in Steel Path. Hard CC + constant damage with enemies mostly being forced to be in headshot range of his orbs makes him decently efficient. To speed it up, bring any decent gun or even just abuse melee finishers being easier in his vortex.

If its an energy drain Defence you are having trouble with, you could try Vauban? Build for Max Range, with a bit of strength and duration. Also if you spam energy pizzas/energy pads, you can produce enough energy to use your abilities. If you are solo, you will also benefit from less enemies, so can feel daunting, but is doable with some practice. Khora could work as well etc

Let us know if there are any other Nightmare missions being an issue, there are usually ways to get around them. Good Luck!! 

13 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

I think you haven't done many of your Quests

How right you are!

It was nice of you to look at my details and offer suggestions. Here's my (somewhat embarrassing) justification: I don't like dying. I don't recall exactly, but the nightmare mission was probably in the high teens or low 20's. That's the level that I generally play at because I don't like to die. I've got 5 quests on my list that Lotus/Natah keeps prompting me to start. When I read about those quests and watch Youtube videos of them, I conclude that: "I'm going to die if I try that". I'm just not that good at parkour and don't have whatever mods they're using. From what I've read, I can't repeat the Inaros quest, so I'm very reluctant to try it and fail.

3 minutes ago, Flannoit said:

My suggestion is to aim for the "easy" nightmare missions - spy, exterminate, or survival.

I say spy is "easy" because unlike other special Spy missions, you only have to successfully get one, and in no-energy-mode, you can still use your operator's Void form to at least avoid the sight of enemies, though that does not apply to lasers. (No cheese allowed!) Just be careful you don't get transferrence static while in Data Purging on a Grineer tileset, because the doors will lock in a way you can't get out either til Data Purged or your secure the vault data.

The harder Nightmare modes don't exactly seem worth it to me, but then again I don't remember what all you can even get from Nightmare modes.

You get dual stat mods. Things like Constitution.

My suggestion is to aim for the "easy" nightmare missions - spy, exterminate, or survival.

I say spy is "easy" because unlike other special Spy missions, you only have to successfully get one, and in no-energy-mode, you can still use your operator's Void form to at least avoid the sight of enemies, though that does not apply to lasers. (No cheese allowed!) Just be careful you don't get transferrence static while in Data Purging on a Grineer tileset, because the doors will lock in a way you can't get out either til Data Purged or your secure the vault data.

The harder Nightmare modes don't exactly seem worth it to me, but then again I don't remember what all you can even get from Nightmare modes.

3 minutes ago, Lotus-123 said:

You've got to be kidding me! <emoji stunned face> (would use stronger language here, but I don't want to offend anyone)

I must've missed that little detail while skimming the wiki.

So... uh... these nightmare missions are basically impossible for me right now. Can't do them on Public since the player matching is so unreliable. Can't do them alone. All my gear wheel assistants would attack me. I must be doing something wrong because I don't see the chat lighting up with other people wanting a full squad to handle a nightmare mission.

Yes spectres, the silent killer, you don't know they turn on you until you drop one and then have to run. lol I3cf9.gif

What level Nightmare are you trying to complete, most of the Star chart should be doable by an MR19.

Are you using the right Warframe and weapons for the job?

Looking at your list of Warframes, I think you haven't done many of your Quests, to do more Quests you would get those Warframes from them, which in certain missions would help like Inaros for no shield, Hildryn for energy drain type conditions as an example.

57 minutes ago, AlyxisPrime said:

Specters are hostile to you in nightmare missions.

You've got to be kidding me! <emoji stunned face> (would use stronger language here, but I don't want to offend anyone)

I must've missed that little detail while skimming the wiki.

So... uh... these nightmare missions are basically impossible for me right now. Can't do them on Public since the player matching is so unreliable. Can't do them alone. All my gear wheel assistants would attack me. I must be doing something wrong because I don't see the chat lighting up with other people wanting a full squad to handle a nightmare mission.

Archived