How do I use Limbo better?

(PSN)Reaper330011

Question

I don’t believe that spamming Stasis and Catalysm is the only thing that Limbo can do, but it’s the only thing I’ve been doing so far. It works very well in most situations, and that is the only thing I know how to use right, but I just really don’t understand how to use everything else, or other ability combos  there are.  I just got him a week ago, but still don’t really know how to use him that well. I don’t see the point in Rift Surge, I don’t really understand the way the range on banish works (because it says 35 meters on stats yet only banishes allies/enemies within 2 meters? I’ve heard you can nuke with catalysm, but so far it barely does any damage against level 40+. Are there any tips, ability combos or advice you could give me? Thanks.

• Like 1

I've never got the hang of Rift Surge myself. The first main thing with Limbo is making sure you use his skills responsibly. 

If you're playing pub, make sure you've dialled down your range so you're not catching your team with cataclysm. 

Long duration Banish is excellent for Rescue and Soetie defence because you can banish the rescue/sortie operative and they'll basically be untouchable. You could also use it in annoying mob types like Nox if you cba with dealing with them. Just remember if you do this and go into the rift, they can hit you.

Crate smash Limbo, max your range, delete your duration and hit 4. Now you've smashed every crate for a good long way, so any loot item marker left standing on your mini map is probably a syndicate medallion or statue. Prob best play solo for this tbh

• Like 5

4 hours ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

I don’t believe that spamming Stasis and Catalysm is the only thing that Limbo can do, but it’s the only thing I’ve been doing so far. It works very well in most situations, and that is the only thing I know how to use right, but I just really don’t understand how to use everything else, or other ability combos  there are.  I just got him a week ago, but still don’t really know how to use him that well. I don’t see the point in Rift Surge, I don’t really understand the way the range on banish works (because it says 35 meters on stats yet only banishes allies/enemies within 2 meters? I’ve heard you can nuke with catalysm, but so far it barely does any damage against level 40+. Are there any tips, ability combos or advice you could give me? Thanks.

Negative/neutral range for all things defence. Def point is safe and your teammates aren't angry;-)

High range and efficiency, low duration to smash all crates in huge radius, good for medalion /cache hunting. Tap 4, immediately deactivate. Pick up loot, repeat.

Remember that Cataclysm and your rift mode accessed by rolling are the same state- you can put Cataclysm with stasis on enemy group somewhere away and shoot them while safe from other enemies.

When in group always deactivate Cataclysm when no longer needed, never put enemies in rift unless you can immediately kill them. Visual cues on rifted enemies are hard to see and attacking invulnerable enemies is not fun for your allies. 

Use Rolling Guard mod in harder missions. You can use it to jump out of rift, kill some enemies while invulnerable, and get back to rift safely. Add Miter with augment to pop nulifier bubbles, making Limbo useful in high level Corpus/Corrupted missions. 

Edited by (PSN)Jacobivan
  • Like 2

hy,

I'm playing Limbo mostly with Cataclysm and rift surge (+Augment). Therefore I dont need too much range. better is duration for longtime cata and stasis and strength for the augment. So I get around 50% extradmg for each surged enemy in the riftplane - awesome dmg thats stacks and thx to DEs dumb KI Style, there are always lots of targets to surge in the rift ;)

- around 200 duration, 100 effi, around 150 range and rest in strength. Some QoL like rolling guard or natural talent if needed

hope I could give some inspiration to U

With his kit u need some good weapons to underline his potential, like Trumna, Zhuge P, Pox for example

edit: and dont make mistake to cast stasis while in rift with ur enemies, u can cast it in any plane and swap afterwards into rift to have lower risks, as long stasis is active, nearly all enemy types get freezed when u banish them or cata around them.

Edited by (PSN)Tulcandra

i'm not a limbo main, but i do enjoy playing him and personally i have three builds:

- first one is a maximum range, maximum strength, minimum duration, one item radar, and absolutely nothing else. for farming orokin cells, argon crystals, medallions, etc.
basically i just go into a room, cast 4, everything dies and every boxes breaks, collect everything and move on to next room.
this could work on groups since you're doing everyone a favor.
just make sure it's actually a farming group, i don't need to remind you to NEVER EVER EVER EVER play in random pubs if you have specific plan in mind, because people will fail you.

- second one is a defense limbo. minimum range, maximum duration, the rest are survivability mods.
cast 2, then 4 on your defense objective. recast 2 if it runs out.
since the cataclysm area will be small, you and/or your group can fight outside it. the main point is just to protect the defense objective. or ya'll can just chill inside the little thing -that's what most randoms will do, why play videogames when you can just afk, right?

- third one is a solo limbo with rift torrent augment. i went with plenty strength, plenty range, and equal amount of everything else. it's the most frustrating limbo build i have because i just can't get enough of anything, don't even know why i keep this build since i practically never use it.
basically press 4, everything enters the limbo because of the massive range. then press 2 so nothing can hurt you. then press 3 to see massive damage increase. recast 4 and 2 if they ran out. as of his 3... only god know how that thing works so i just recast it when i feel like it.
needless to say, this build need a very specific execution, therefore i never even dare to even dream bringing this to a random pub.

=================

limbo is absolutely the worst frame you can bring to fight corpus. so probably don't do that unless you have a gameplan.
most of his tricks revolves around his 4, while corpus bubble boys just straight up nullifies it.

i bet limbo mains here will have more creative ways to use his 1. i simply use it on rescue targets or moving defense objectives then call it a day.

other than that, having awesome weapons really helps. his abilities doesn't straight up kills (nor even damage) higher level enemies, so you gotta rely on good weapons.
with that said, when i need to kill stuff, i'll just bring mirage or saryn then kill stuff. limbo is still my main man for the likes of mobile defense, or moving defense objectives, some type of farms, but he's just fall out of favor when it comes down to killing really high level stuff. at least for me, a non limbo main.

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Soy77:

limbo is absolutely the worst frame you can bring to fight corpus. so probably don't do that unless you have a gameplan.
most of his tricks revolves around his 4, while corpus bubble boys just straight up nullifies it.

well i use limbo all the time for corpus mob defs but not at a lot of range so i can work with the Zerofield / Bursa enemys that could nullify Cataclysm or stasis
its more the times where the abbilty goes haywire and does things it is not supposed to do what i am worried about

Edited by Keiyadan

As a limbo main with over 1000 using it i have no idea what to tell you, i seldom use his skills, and that is when all of my teammates burn their braincells and manage to lose control of the situation, his skills are just too good for the game, almost never needed, except as the extra safety of of banishing the defence objectives as someone already mentioned.

To be honest, if you are just using him with negative range dont bother, there are better warframes for that, and you would be just limiting your fun.

Edit: you cant nuke with him anymore, at least not in decent levels, the damge of cataclysm used to increase with the rift surge mod, but they no longer interact with each other, but you can still infuse fear in the heart of inocent boxes as Soy77 said

Edited by (PSN)Apoleon_amarr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Keiyadan said:

well i use limbo all the time for corpus mob defs but not at a lot of range so i can work with the Zerofield / Bursa enemys that could nullify Cataclysm or stasis
its more the times where the abbilty goes haywire and does things it is not supposed to do what i am worried about

Since you do have a gameplan, then you can disregard that suggestion as suggested 😉

1 hour ago, (PSN)Apoleon_amarr said:

Edit: you cant nuke with him anymore, at least not in decent levels, the damge of cataclysm used to increase with the rift surge mod, but they no longer interact with each other, but you can still infuse fear in the heart of inocent boxes as Soy77 said

I sacrificed enough mod slots and get -as jeremy clarkson would say, MORE PAWAAA!!! Still oneshot sargas ruk's boys since i farm orokin cells there.

But yeah gonna need slightly heavier fayapawa to take down ruk himself.

You bubble very specific missions like scarlet spear and leave him in the closet for everything else, that is dah way.

Nah actually, I suppose you might be able to do a couple other things if you really put a lot of effort into it. But you're gonna struggle much more in most cases than many other frames, so it's up for you to decide how much you like him.

Just, if you fancy yourself a limbo player, for the love of all that is holly and good in this miserable world, please, don't use a max range cataclysm build in standard public defence missions.

• Like 2

On 2021-08-27 at 4:55 PM, (PSN)Jacobivan said:

Negative/neutral range for all things defence. Def point is safe and your teammates aren't angry;-)

Hmm…. I asked my teammates and they said use maximum range? I asked why, they said they wanted me to freeze half the map so they could kill them more easily.

On 2021-08-27 at 8:51 PM, Keiyadan said:

There was a bug where I disconnected while casting Catalysm then I asked my teammates if they were good, and they said their weapons didn’t work and nothing was spawning. 

I’ve been told different things, so basically Catalysm+Stasis yes, or Catalysm+Stasis no, and I can’t decide between range and duration, because in Defense some people tell me “Use Both” because it keeps the team safe too.

Edited by (PSN)Reaper330011
Spelling

@(PSN)Reaper330011Your team mates, are you go in in as a premade squad or is it just random people the game puts you with?

If it's a premade squad and they're asking if you can run a particular setup then that's fine, if its random people I really wouldn't do the max range thing because sooner or later you'll run into people who will be really annoyed with it.

Cataclysm and Stasis synergise really well so use them both in defence missions.

If you are playing solo then you are everything is permitted. If you are playing with group then playing Limbo is hard. People even leave just because you are Limbo (what I read).

When I've been playing him & with squad I used to use his passive instead of abilities. When you are in the Rift you are almost immortal. I used to revive people from the Rift. Carrying data mas or other stuffs is easy with it as well.

Before I've got Ivara, he was my "spy guy". It makes spies easier because you cannot trigger alarms by "laser doors" (cameras & such will still raise an alarm). In Lua there is obstacles that Limbo can ignore.

10 hours ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

Hmm…. I asked my teammates and they said use maximum range? I asked why, they said they wanted me to freeze half the map so they could kill them more easily.

It kinda depends;-) If you have huge range and stasis on, incoming mobs will get to edge of cataclysm, become immobilised, cataclysm will shrink leaving them outside, then they will try to get closer again. For people inside trying to shoot those mobs sometimes bullets(rockets, melee etc. ) will hit enemies and sometimes they won't. For me it's infuriating. And also enemies will get stuck inside rooms, on geometry, making defence missions take ages to complete. It might be different when teaming up with eg. Saryn, Equinox or Mesa. Those don't need weapons to clear the map, so might be ok with huge sphere of safety. 

On 2021-08-30 at 1:58 PM, Butterfly85 said:

@(PSN)Reaper330011Your team mates, are you go in in as a premade squad or is it just random people the game puts you with?

If it's a premade squad and they're asking if you can run a particular setup then that's fine, if its random people I really wouldn't do the max range thing because sooner or later you'll run into people who will be really annoyed with it.

Cataclysm and Stasis synergise really well so use them both in defence missions.

Both. If it’s randos, or friends, the first thing I ask is 1, “Can I use Catalysm”, and if they say yes, “What type of build?” And 80% of the time all people say Duration/Range or go for anything.

Edited by (PSN)Reaper330011
  • Like 1

On 2021-08-30 at 6:06 PM, quxier said:

If you are playing solo then you are everything is permitted. If you are playing with group then playing Limbo is hard. People even leave just because you are Limbo (what I read).

When I've been playing him & with squad I used to use his passive instead of abilities. When you are in the Rift you are almost immortal. I used to revive people from the Rift. Carrying data mas or other stuffs is easy with it as well.

Before I've got Ivara, he was my "spy guy". It makes spies easier because you cannot trigger alarms by "laser doors" (cameras & such will still raise an alarm). In Lua there is obstacles that Limbo can ignore.

I thought you couldn’t interact with stuff while in rift? Like carrying data mass or activating life support. True, he’s a spy king. 

You sure that people leave? I’ve always told the whole squad I’m using limbo every match I use him and they are fine with it.

On 2021-08-30 at 11:56 PM, (PSN)Jacobivan said:

It kinda depends;-) If you have huge range and stasis on, incoming mobs will get to edge of cataclysm, become immobilised, cataclysm will shrink leaving them outside, then they will try to get closer again. For people inside trying to shoot those mobs sometimes bullets(rockets, melee etc. ) will hit enemies and sometimes they won't. For me it's infuriating. And also enemies will get stuck inside rooms, on geometry, making defence missions take ages to complete. It might be different when teaming up with eg. Saryn, Equinox or Mesa. Those don't need weapons to clear the map, so might be ok with huge sphere of safety. 

The solution to the enemies getting stuck is nidus.  I always ask if anybody can bring nidus if it’s a Defense mission so he can use his second ability, pull the enemies in, they get frozen.

The main reason I use Catalysm+Stasis if a overwhelming amount of enemies/tanks get too close to the objective or teammates. For example, if you have 5 noxes chasing a low health teammate, and there isn’t enough time to kill the noxes, I hit Catalysm+stasis, don. The teammate can run away, and we have 1 whole minute to take care of frozen noxes.

But yeah, I kind of agree with the problem how they just come in, go out, come back I , frozen, and goes out, repeat. Even the person who casts the Catalysm+stasis finds it infuriating, but still it’s a decent way to protect the objective and immobilise an overwhelming amount of enemies.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

I thought you couldn’t interact with stuff while in rift? Like carrying data mass or activating life support. True, he’s a spy king. 

You still should be able to carry stuffs if you've picked them before entering the Rift. You still cannot interact with outside word that requires pressing some buttons (e.g. consoles or life support). I don't know if the Energy for excavator works in the same "plane" (e.g. you have to exit the rift to put energy to Excavator). However that would be simple 2 rolls.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

You sure that people leave? I’ve always told the whole squad I’m using limbo every match I use him and they are fine with it.

That's what I've read. I don't play Limbo nor with team so I don't really know. Still, when I was "reviving Limbo" it was surprise for that player.

13 minutes ago, quxier said:

You still should be able to carry stuffs if you've picked them before entering the Rift. You still cannot interact with outside word that requires pressing some buttons (e.g. consoles or life support). I don't know if the Energy for excavator works in the same "plane" (e.g. you have to exit the rift to put energy to Excavator). However that would be simple 2 rolls.

That's what I've read. I don't play Limbo nor with team so I don't really know. Still, when I was "reviving Limbo" it was surprise for that player.

So if I for example, pick up a data mass, then rift walk, I won’t be able to place it in the console, but it won’t drop upon entering the rift?

So basically, because of limbo’s bad reputation, most people hate limbo players? To be fair, I’d say because most limbo players don’t ask, as I’ve seen before, and just spam every ability, not knowing what they are doing, and messing stuff up. When I asked my first rando squad permission they seemed extremely surprised, and told me it’s because barely any limbo player asks. 

So because of the common case of limbo players spamming, and messing up the team/objective, people don’t respect limbo players as an example, intentionally don’t revive them?

8 hours ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

So if I for example, pick up a data mass, then rift walk, I won’t be able to place it in the console, but it won’t drop upon entering the rift?

As fair I remember, yes.

8 hours ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

So basically, because of limbo’s bad reputation, most people hate limbo players? To be fair, I’d say because most limbo players don’t ask, as I’ve seen before, and just spam every ability, not knowing what they are doing, and messing stuff up. When I asked my first rando squad permission they seemed extremely surprised, and told me it’s because barely any limbo player asks. 

So because of the common case of limbo players spamming, and messing up the team/objective, people don’t respect limbo players as an example, intentionally don’t revive them?

It's not even spamming. Every ability can mess up your teammates' game. Maybe stasis is better because on its own it doesn't do anything. You can even banish by mistake enemies or your teammate. If that's happen once in a while then it's fine. If it happens more often then it becomes annoying.

You get Limbo early in the game. Those people may not be experienced. They may mess up more often. And you know... they want to play their frame. Given that Limbo is hard to play it may get problematic.

Only reasons you would want to use Rift Surge is when you're playing a high level mission, you can prevent oneshots before your Banish/Cata ends by hitting them with Rift Surge, this also puts others in the Rift previously outside the influence of the Banishes/Cataclysm.

Other than that the Rift Torrent augment to buff your damage, since Limbo-s energy is almost endless you get both free invincibility in the Rift and a practically free dps buff and almost free cc just by using Limbo.

If you would want to go around and kill everything on the map, you would want to use Rift Torrent if for some reason you wanted to farm ESO or something similar with Limbo.

The Catabomb build was an older meta exploit that isn't relevant anymore, it used to deal more damage.

Limbo is a technical frame with somewhat complicated mechanics. So I would say, half the time the folks who do not like him are the ones who do not understand how his abilities work and get confused.

As others before me have said, keep your bubble small, keep it visible with a good energy color, and don't intentionally dump other players into the rift (either via rolling in front of them or your 1). And if they still complain, then it's their problem and not yours.

To be honest, I've had more problems with clueless Frost players than Limbo players. That and I still dust off my Limbo whenever Radiation Mobile Defense Sorties show up, so... Don't worry about using him - he is very good in the right situations.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, quxier said:

You can also use spoilermode, who isn't affected by rift. You can carry and use datamasses, interact with buttons etc. Warning though, you can still be shot from outside cataclysm when you're inside in spoilermode. 

• Like 1

On 2021-09-02 at 7:46 PM, MqToasty said:

Limbo is a technical frame with somewhat complicated mechanics. So I would say, half the time the folks who do not like him are the ones who do not understand how his abilities work and get confused

This. 2 days ago a guy reported me for hacking or something because I used Catalysm+stasis and he didn’t know what the effect was.

On 2021-09-02 at 8:41 PM, (PSN)Jacobivan said:

You can also use spoilermode, who isn't affected by rift. You can carry and use datamasses, interact with buttons etc. Warning though, you can still be shot from outside cataclysm when you're inside in spoilermode. 

Yeah, I know about this already. I use it when I accidently Catalysm the mobile Defense objective before actually putting the data mass in. I don’t cancel it because it wastes energy.

On 2021-09-02 at 7:46 PM, MqToasty said:

As others before me have said, keep your bubble small, keep it visible with a good energy color, and don't intentionally dump other players into the rift (either via rolling in front of them or your 1). And if they still complain, then it's their problem and not yours.

Right, the thing I’m confused about here is by people in-game and here I’ve been told different things. Minimum range, max durations, max range max duration, minimum duration max range, minimum strength max duration, etc. So which would you say would be more useful. 

i would only intentionally dump somebody into the rift if they are about to ruin the whole mission, or if they are about to die. For example, in Arbitrations right before they get a fatal shot I’ll banish them so they can have some breathing time. What I find annoying is when I dump and random teammate inside the rift because they are about to die in a situation like that and they scream at me in the chat for dumping them inside, even though I asked permission in the beginning of the mission and they can just roll to get out.

On 2021-09-02 at 5:51 PM, quxier said:

As fair I remember, yes.

It's not even spamming. Every ability can mess up your teammates' game. Maybe stasis is better because on its own it doesn't do anything. You can even banish by mistake enemies or your teammate. If that's happen once in a while then it's fine. If it happens more often then it becomes annoying.

You get Limbo early in the game. Those people may not be experienced. They may mess up more often. And you know... they want to play their frame. Given that Limbo is hard to play it may get problematic.

Fair point, I tried to banish a nox but ended up banishing my whole squad instead. Speaking of which, I still don’t know how the range on banish works.  

Right now what I still wonder is how on earth rift surge works. I read a thread about how it works but it’s too big brain so does anybody have a simplified explanation on how to use it?