Discount for first alias change?

Phocets

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/825314-discount-for-first-alias-change/

Beautifully written up there MdzKnight. I completely agree with your ideas and points you make about changing Warframe names/alias. Many people don't think 200 plat is a lot especially if you buy it and farm for platinum; however, (as you mentioned in your post) many new players don't know trading until later in the game. I personally put a random name since I didn't think Warframe would be a fun game since it's really grind heavy. I started like 5 years ago and quit after 1 year of playing. Great news is that I'm back into Warframe and regretting my name, but I'm starting to trade for plat xD. Back to the point, if you look at the math calculations, changing a simple name (costs 200 platinum) will cost more than $9 USD to change a simple word depending on what platinum pack you buy at full cost.

(For those curious on how I get at least $9 to change name, I took 200 platinum from the most expensive pack which gives 4300 plat. 200/4300 = roughly 0.0455. That means 4.55% of 4300 plat is 200 plat. Then I took that decimal and multiply it by the cost of the most expensive pack: $200 USD and got $9.30 for 200 plat from the MOST expensive pack)

Back to the point, of course there are discount on platinum, but what are the chances of getting 75% discount all the time? Considering beginners only get 50 plat to spend, that is barely enough to expand weapon/character slots WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT (for new players). For example, it's like throwing a teen into the world with $100 and saying "That's for your home, food, water, and necessities to live" when housing costs $400 per month (example only). Point taken, please make changing alias/names free for the first time only OR at least 50 plat so beginners can choose to spend their plat on name or slots (please, still pick slots). Please push this idea of changing your name for the first time free and/or lowering the cost of changing name.

Thank you for you time reading this, and I hope Warframe community will support these ideas until Warframe actually hears this petition for name changing :)

6 hours ago, Demonslayer999 said:

Beautifully written up there MdzKnight. I completely agree with your ideas and points you make about changing Warframe names/alias. Many people don't think 200 plat is a lot especially if you buy it and farm for platinum; however, (as you mentioned in your post) many new players don't know trading until later in the game. I personally put a random name since I didn't think Warframe would be a fun game since it's really grind heavy. I started like 5 years ago and quit after 1 year of playing. Great news is that I'm back into Warframe and regretting my name, but I'm starting to trade for plat xD. Back to the point, if you look at the math calculations, changing a simple name (costs 200 platinum) will cost more than $9 USD to change a simple word depending on what platinum pack you buy at full cost.

(For those curious on how I get at least $9 to change name, I took 200 platinum from the most expensive pack which gives 4300 plat. 200/4300 = roughly 0.0455. That means 4.55% of 4300 plat is 200 plat. Then I took that decimal and multiply it by the cost of the most expensive pack: $200 USD and got $9.30 for 200 plat from the MOST expensive pack)

Back to the point, of course there are discount on platinum, but what are the chances of getting 75% discount all the time? Considering beginners only get 50 plat to spend, that is barely enough to expand weapon/character slots WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT (for new players). For example, it's like throwing a teen into the world with $100 and saying "That's for your home, food, water, and necessities to live" when housing costs $400 per month (example only). Point taken, please make changing alias/names free for the first time only OR at least 50 plat so beginners can choose to spend their plat on name or slots (please, still pick slots). Please push this idea of changing your name for the first time free and/or lowering the cost of changing name.

Thank you for you time reading this, and I hope Warframe community will support these ideas until Warframe actually hears this petition for name changing :)

10-20 USD to change a name is standard within the industry. DE could make the first change free, and any change down the road the 200 plat fee. It's what Microsoft did with gamer tags, it costs 9.99 USD to change your gamer tag on Xbox/Windows, but the first one was free.

On 2017-07-31 at 8:46 PM, MdzKnight said:

In summary:

• Make alias changing affordable the first time (90% or does 20plat sound fair?).
  • Give a requirement (like MR3) for this discount.
  • Maybe a cooldown as well?

I like the idea of making it cheaper to change names in certain circumstances. Goofed up when choosing my name. Thought it would be kind of cool and retro. Turns out that I've been mistaken for being part of DE. Also didn't realize that it might be useful to use the same handle that I'm using on Twitch and Discord - so it might be nice to discount the name change cost if you're doing it to match usernames on those services. (okay, that might be just a selfish idea because it's what I want to do)

I'd be pretty happy if the first change was cheaper/free, mostly since I want to change my username to something I use more reliably now (even though I still use Flannoit as my last-resort username if everything else I try is taken) though like other said, DE probably won't do it.

making the first change cost 75 plat would mean you could buy the lowest platinum bundle and change your name once if you messed up or are one those people who makes up a dumb name because it's supposed to be a throwaway account (I've never personally understood doing this but it seems pretty common)

The first name change should always be free, maybe time-limited. Thge reason is simple - someone might try the game out (it is free to play after all) with a username like "glvbdfhjksz" and then, when they realise they like playing, want to change it to something good. Right now, that'll cost you 200p, or it'll make you stop playing and create a new account. Maybe that's why there are so many users who never got to the 2 hour achievement.

On 2017-08-28 at 1:19 AM, Voltage said:

I use a clan tag is because I will never leave my clan

On 2017-08-28 at 11:37 AM, Voltage said:

Some people like myself enjoy representing their clan within their username and it is their choice.

Ah necro threads with posts that have aged well.

14 hours ago, gbjbaanb said:

someone might try the game out (it is free to play after all) with a username like "glvbdfhjksz" and then, when they realise they like playing, want to change it to something good.

Don't be so flippant then choosing a name, start over once you get a taste and decide you like it, or pay the price for rolling your face on the keyboard.

A big reason there is a cost to change names it to keep people from constantly changing it to avoid responsibility for their actions. If you play a mission, do a trade, or experience some annoying chat with xXx420KillaDeezNutzTrapLOLWaifu69xXx that goes poorly, you're gonna ignore or at least remember to avoid them in future. If they change their name to -BroDude- next week, you might accidentally start a trade with them or whatnot again.

• Like 1