Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet another - but extremely simple - Revenant's Thralls Change Thread (Thrall castable during Dans Macabre)

Flannoit

We all already know how garbage Revenant's Thralls are, and how Revenant is the first to be griefed in a party, in many cases intentionally. (The  amount of times I've seen players look at my thrall for a solid few seconds before killing them when a defense wave or whatever is over is... baffling.)

Now there are TONS of better solutions out there to rectify the issue (and make his Thrall augment actually usable) but this one is an extremely simple change that hopefully DE will be willing to make possible since it doesn't actually change any of his core features that much. So lets get onto that suggestion.

Let Revenant cast Thrall while using Dans Macabre.

Revenant can already cast Reave during it, and currently Dans Macabre has absolutely ZERO effective synergy with thralls since he has absolutely no way to create thralls while using Dans Macabre. This makes his Thrall bonus with Dans Macabre literally unusable. "BUT MUH BALANCE--" Thralls are currently already garbage, and the actual benefit of having a thrall active varies heavily on build as it is. Having multiple thralls is only really a benefit if you use his Thrall augment, which... No one is. Because thralls are the #1 griefed resource in the game. Yes, this is including Nidus's Mutation stacks.

"But wouldn't that make Dans Macabre super overpowered?" Killing thralls with Dans Macabre simply provides a weak Overshields pickup, which has a hard cap for all frames anyways. With the existence of Augur mods and the already inherent shield healing that Reave gives (both of which to some degree apply to Dans Macabre!) makes making his overshield drops a bit more reliable, well, fair game. It's not like his overshield drops can send frames over their cap. Only frame who can go over the overshield cap is Harrow, and even HE has a hard limit on overshields.

There are a handful of Revenant threads about how to make him better, make his thralls worth using, or in some cases completely reworking him in a way that take thralls entirely out of the equation. One of those threads are definitely a better long-term alternative, however allowing Revenant to cast Thrall while using Dans Macabre will at least allow us to actually utilize the Thrall bonus from Dans Macabre without having to constantly recast Dans Macabre every time we want to make a thrall. (Which has approximately a 2s startup and 2s wind-down animation already...)

IMO just have enemies that hit Mesmer Skin, instantly enthrall themselves while Danse Macabre is active, instead of stunning themselves. Allowing you to skip a step for having your horrendous 20-40 energy a sec ult active. And it will help him deal with the massive hurtle that ancients are in a lot of scenarios.

49 minutes ago, KitMeHarder said:

IMO just have enemies that hit Mesmer Skin, instantly enthrall themselves while Danse Macabre is active, instead of stunning themselves. Allowing you to skip a step for having your horrendous 20-40 energy a sec ult active. And it will help him deal with the massive hurtle that ancients are in a lot of scenarios.

idk what's wrong with your build, cos mine is 6 on cast and 5/sec.

I also personally hate Mesmer Skin, and I'd rather his 1 be actually usable. Mesmer skin insta-thralling does not fix his 1 being garbage and instead makes it so his 1 is even more garbage because his 2 solves it better.

Alternatively they could just give him the same ability Xaku already has. An AOE control rather than single target. The difference being XAKU can control nearly indefinitely where as Revenant would have limited time frame and benefit from actually possibly getting damage from the residue of dead thralls.

1 hour ago, Dubrovnik said:

Alternatively they could just give him the same ability Xaku already has. An AOE control rather than single target. The difference being XAKU can control nearly indefinitely where as Revenant would have limited time frame and benefit from actually possibly getting damage from the residue of dead thralls.

I toyed with the idea of Thrall being abit more like Nekros's Terror where it created a maximum number of thralls in range

But lets get back to the point of this thread: addressing and putting a bandaid on a glaring issue to at least make it functional with the rest of his kit since DE probably won't rework him for a few more years.

14 hours ago, Flannoit said:

idk what's wrong with your build, cos mine is 6 on cast and 5/sec.

I also personally hate Mesmer Skin, and I'd rather his 1 be actually usable. Mesmer skin insta-thralling does not fix his 1 being garbage and instead makes it so his 1 is even more garbage because his 2 solves it better.

I thought it was pretty obvious that was the "at base" cost.

And that's your own personal dilemma. You're free to dislike his best ability, but it doesn't change the fact that my suggestion would be a good synergy to add to his kit. And your post isn't about fixing his 1, all you talk about is being able to cast it during his 4, and I just suggested a more elegant and rewarding alternative.

9 hours ago, KitMeHarder said:

I thought it was pretty obvious that was the "at base" cost.

And that's your own personal dilemma. You're free to dislike his best ability, but it doesn't change the fact that my suggestion would be a good synergy to add to his kit. And your post isn't about fixing his 1, all you talk about is being able to cast it during his 4, and I just suggested a more elegant and rewarding alternative.

My post is about fixing the sheer lack of synergy between his 1 and 4 at an absolute base level that DE would be more likely to go "sure why not" instead of saying "no, we're not reworking him right now". I'm all for his kit being reworked into something flat-out better.

If we're talking properly making his kit less poopoo, then for sure some thrall utility tacked onto his 2 (instead of just making his 1 free if the initial cast stuns an enemy) would greatly improve his #1 problem. I'd probably hate it less, though that would turn Thrall into a guaranteed Subsume. (if it's not already for basically every Revenant player)

He painstakingly needs a rework to his passive and his overall kit. Not as bad as like, Hydroid or something, but still preeeeetty bad. He's at least usable, unlike Hydroid.

Archived