Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mesa Prime Cosplay - 3D printed Build

(XBOX)Shadow Breakre

It's been a while since i did a production diary and since this is by far the most complex build I'll be doing I thought I should. This will the very next cosplay once I am ever able to finish my Halo armor. While it's definitely a more niche cosplay I will be releasing the printable models for this one too. Warframe has a lot of amazing designs but very few are suitable for practical cosplay. I feel Mesa is the most practical as her design mostly resembles layers of clothing with an almost completely human physique. She's also easy to crossplay.

warframe-21-png.307910

I'm Starting with the hat and Regulators pistols first which are main highlights. since Mesa Prime's hat is a literal part of her head and organically flows in into the back of her skull I had to improvise the back of hat in a way that was minimal but still provided support since it curve's upward. Since I don't have Zbrush at the moment I'll be omitting some if finer lines and details to create a simpler/clean design. I'll be releasing all the printable model as I make them

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4916530

tbrender-jpg.308223

tbrender_002-jpg.308225

I printed the Hat on my Anycubic Mega X (nicknamed Xion) with PLa at .2mm Layer Height. It took about 112 hours to print the entire thing. It’s almost a perfect fit for my head. it's a little on the wieghty side though it was to be expected but I don't see the completed thing weighing more that any other printed helmet. definitely going to need to take it slow sanding thing especially around the detail on the from of the brim as it did not show up as prominently as I would have liked.

I'm going to voluntarily break off the cattle horns on the front so I can properly sand them then will reattach them the with adhesive and fill them with a tack putty since they are hollow. Afterward I'll coat them with some printing resin and cure it for a little added strength.

image1-jpg.309067

image2-jpg.309068

imag-e0-jpg.309066

Starting with a rough pass with wood filler doing sections at at time. Going slow because of all the crevices and detail, main thing is smoothing out the print lines so I don't mind if a little extra fill sits on top. even with just a rough pass it's already really smooth. After this I'll do a pass 2 to 3 times with a sandable spray filler. I broke off the cattle horns on the front to make it easier to work with. I'll smooth those separately and reattach and fill the seem at the end when I attach the brims as well.

image0-jpg.309069

Got the brims and cattle horns attached. Now I’m just smoothing out the seams with wood filler. I’m also glazing the cattle horns with 3D printing resin to reinforce the areas I had to break them off at. I’ll also be using the resin to spot treat certain areas that were harder to smooth out. I find I like smoothing with the resin better because I can cure it when ever I want instantly with the UV lamp and it’s also easy to sand.

240166482_4251877238198736_9364526675789

Still curing the resin. I don’t really have a very strong UV lamp so it’s taking a bit longer, resins still sticky. I just thought it looked cool under the UV light.

240462498_4257923134260813_2290594895071

1 hour ago, KittySkin said:

Its incredible! Are you planning on 3D printing other parts, like her exalted weapon or some of the most complex ornamental stuff?

Yeah, I'll work on the regulator pistols next, As for the Ornamentations, some will be printed while others foam. It depends on the area. For instance the detailing on the spine and center chest would be foam because I need it to light and flexible in those areas, while details on the the shoulder, buckles, and boots can be printed. I'm also working out a swivel system so I can wip out the pistols from the arms

I'm not going to go one for one with all the detail because warframe just has an unrealistic level of detail and it would just look messy. So I'm simplifying the design a little bit.

warframe-13-png.307908

warframe-24-png.307913

Coming along super fast on the Regulator Pistol. Almost done! It will be separated into 4 parts: the Grip, Chamber, Cylinder, and Barrel, which will be skewered on a cylinder shaft to assemble. I'm working on a joint that will allow me to whip them out on a swivel from the arm position (held by magnets) to my hand. The same cylinder will also be used for the the numerous ones that are placed all of the her body.

screenshot-2021-09-04-201530-png.309519

Test print done took about 24 hours total with my settings. Supports did not want to come off the chamber so it looks a little chewed. It's a little small for my hand but I'm just going to leave it as is for this version. for the arm mounted version I'm only going to increase the scale just slightly as I don't want it to stick out to far past my elbow. I got a pretty good idea how I'm going to do the joint and brace. I the joint will be about 2 inches pinned at the bottom back end of the grip, magnet on the bottom side toward the front of the chamber with another magnet on the brace at the elbow.

I'm still going to do all the sanding and finishing work on this though since I already have it printed. It's still a nice piece.

image0-jpg.309795

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, DarthBane1 said:

What type of Filament you using? ABS? PLA? I'm asking because if you can, try ABS. It'll allow you to do an Acetone Vapor smooth. That way you don't have to sand as much. (I'm doing the same on a Darth Vader bust)

I think it looks amazing however. 

I use PLA, I don't like using ABS.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived