Variant (Opticor insta kill mode) and Clan content emphasis

Loxyen

Hello there!

I've been thinking a lot about Variant recently. For those who do not know what that is, it was a ffa insta gib mode where everyone had the same mobility and 100 hp only, abilities were disabled. The charge time of Opticor Variant was reduced so it was the same as a Ferrox primary fire.

It was fairly fun and balanced. Even DE and players who couldn't settle with the normal Conclave modes enjoyed playing it.

I understand that it merely served as a place holder for the Snowball, Quick Steel and that Valentines Day Bow event, but there was no reason to remove it back then. At that time Conclave was lively enough to find matches around the clock and around the globe. It also was fairly balanced due to everything being the same and no reworks affecting it.

So what do I mean with Clan emphasis?

Conclave in its current state suffers fromt the 4 years of dev neglect where the reworks bleeded over and some things broke. Thus the player numbers are low and especially players who try to test Conclave have a hard time finding matches or go up against the regular players who have way more experience up their sleeves.

With Variant alive again more players would play Conclave again and earn Syndicate reputation in a more balanced setting due to its simplified nature.

Adding a Team Annihilation Variant mode can also help us to teach and train newcomers the basics of the movement system and Conclave maps. When I look back we had lots of Conclave clans that did exactly that already with the normal modes and it made Conclave as a whole more lively to begin with. Variant can serve as an ice breaker and training ground for lots of players in that way. That also inlcudes Conclave unfamiliar Clans, since they simply can set up TA Variant matches.

So with Variant and especially a TA Variant mode active again more players would be willing to play Conclave and earn their reputation, which also helps with finding matches more easily and can contribute to reviving clan activity in the Conclave. I'm sure it'll also contribute to the next Tenno Olympics as a fetching mode choice.

Edited by Loxyen
  • Like 10

Going to focus on this only right now to stress it:

2 hours ago, Loxyen said:

Conclave in its current state suffers fromt the 4 years of dev neglect where the reworks bleeded over and some things broke. ...

Alone being able to select a mode where there is no bug abuse and no exploit abuse would make this a far more pleasant experience. Keeping things in its current sorry state is just breeding resentment -- towards the devs who for some reason won't disable even the worst offenders, towards those who abuse these things, and even towards those who might not even know about all the problems.

• Like 5

Have said it before, but I'd also like to add that a huge bonus for variant modes is simple, speedy accessibility. Players click a few buttons and go. There's no loadouts to set or meta weapons to farm from PvE.

There's a reason tech has so much plug-n-play: no matter how easy something is to set up, nothing beats no setup at all.

• Like 6

Yes, I never got to play older Conclave Tactical Alerts and variants and I'd love for them to return.

Branching out and expanding from the Quick Steel/Snowday Showdown/Opticor Variant returns to (weekly?) rotating fixed loadout modes (ranging from "dumb fun" arcades to legit aim practices) has been a long dream of mine. Such modes would also let players who don't have access to certain Conclave gears--because let's face it, some Conclave staples are a pain to obtain when you're relatively new--test them out on a relatively fairer playing field. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-08-31 at 2:50 AM, Tyreaus said:

Have said it before, but I'd also like to add that a huge bonus for variant modes is simple, speedy accessibility. Players click a few buttons and go. There's no loadouts to set or meta weapons to farm from PvE.

That's definitely worth stressing. The whole Conclave experience is very obtuse for someone new to it, even if they have a lot of PvE experience.

Combined with a very high skill ceiling and people who are very experienced on one hand, bugs/exploits which get abused by some people on the other, it's definitely very hard to get started these days. The Conclave Community Discord here people could get all the info is not very widely known, either (un-partnered now because they moved away from fan discords). I still see players with only a melee weapon equipped, too, because it's their first time.

It's really not a wonder this is not very attractive for new people.

On 2021-09-01 at 12:20 AM, traybong111 said:

Yes, I never got to play older Conclave Tactical Alerts and variants and I'd love for them to return.

Branching out and expanding from the Quick Steel/Snowday Showdown/Opticor Variant returns to (weekly?) rotating fixed loadout modes (ranging from "dumb fun" arcades to legit aim practices) has been a long dream of mine. Such modes would also let players who don't have access to certain Conclave gears--because let's face it, some Conclave staples are a pain to obtain when you're relatively new--test them out on a relatively fairer playing field. 

Yes, rotations would be a neat addition, too. Just to mix things up a little. But I'd be happy with just one mode for starters, too.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...