Bad balanced boss fights

sharpq

I'm a new player (MR 5) and what I noticed - boss fights are really bad balanced in the game. When normal mission I'm able to do in 5-10 min, boss fight took me around 30 min where I spend more time to shoot and I see 0 as a damage dealt. but when I finally deal some damage, is so small that I'm forced to look for ammo. I found this quite strange. Also is difficult to find info about mechanics of the boss fight, mostly I forced to research youtube. Information provided by game is unclear what you must do. I don't think is good idea to create a bullet sponge as a level of difficulty. 

• Like 2

Are there particular bosses that you feel this way about?

There are definitely bosses that are incredibly annoying, especially if you don't happen to be using the weapon that works best on them. An obvious offender here is Vay Hek on earth who flies around everywhere with his little vulnerability spots that turn on and off.

At MR5, I think some bosses are likely going to be outside of your capabilities unless you have a group to do it. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's just not practical with the possible gear and mods you have.
However, if you are struggling to find information relevant to the game, try using the wiki!
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

It's a really valuable resource that even veterans use regularly. And don't feel ashamed to check the wiki about a specific boss fight. I've been playing the game since 2014, and I still have to check the Wiki sometimes to remind myself how a boss fight goes.

Lots of people are farming drops from bosses, so if you have been playing in Solo mode, I recommend changing to Public. People in public will likely rush through all of the content, leaving you behind, but I can at least promise you that you are likely to find a party if you are having trouble with a boss.

Nothing to worry about as a lot of randoms don't know how to take out bosses in Sorties. 

Inflated damage scaling made it so that bosses would be pushovers like the Sargent without annoying mechanics.

Invincibility phases, damage caps, damage attenuation.

Most bosses in Warframe are horribly designed. The game of Space Ninjas slows down to a matter of waiting just like Mobile Defense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Schwitzer said:

Vay Hek on earth

this one - I spend 33 minutes on this mission.

Also I have yesterday that one what you have to throw and detonate weapon - don't remember name, in void I think - this mission was around 3 hours... 

2 hours ago, Yuzuki-Prime said:

At MR5, I think some bosses are likely going to be outside of your capabilities unless you have a group to do it. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's just not practical with the possible gear and mods you have

I hope that with time going to change ;)

42 minutes ago, sharpq said:

this one - I spend 33 minutes on this mission.

Vay Hek is one of the more unpleasant bosses in the game. That one's actually a real shame - since his final phase (robo-parrot) is actually a very solid old-school boss fight. But the firs form (flying ...ball) is really annoying for a newer player.

It is worth noting that you don't actually need to kill him until you get through Pluto - since he's only a requirement for the Eris junction. So if you haven't reached that junction yet - just leave Vey Hek alone for now. If you have - ask in-game chat for help. Everyone knows what a pain that boss is and someone will help you through. Once you have some good gear, he's actually a pushover.

49 minutes ago, sharpq said:

Also I have yesterday that one what you have to throw and detonate weapon - don't remember name, in void I think - this mission was around 3 hours... 

Do you mean the Protea fight in the Granum Void? That's another fight a lot of players have trouble with (it's really funny to watch DE's own streamers attempt those fights - and they have much better gear than you do!). If you got through her - great. If not - let her be until you have better gear. While that quest is theoretically accessible to you, it'll get much easier later on in your playthrough.

As a general rule, you should concentrate on junctions until you get to the end of the starchart: make sure to unlock all planets and complete the 4 end-nodes in the Void (Taranis, Ani, Belenus and Mot). Look at the next junction you are yet to unlock and focus on unlocking that. This will give you a decent idea on what boss you are expected to tackle when. Also, most weapon blueprints awarded by junctions are for good early-game weapons. Make sure to build them and try them out.

As you are unlocking the starchart, make sure to do the mainline quests (Archwing, Second Dream, War Withing, Sacrifice and their prerequisites). Once those are done - you'll have a good base of gear to tackle any remaining starchart nodes.

• Like 1

As bossfights go i think the new jackal is the most unbalanced. It his so crazy hard for the second planet in the game taking out even some of my squishier max level frames with its large area of effect abilities and invulnerable phases. And yet we have easier bosses way later. Tyl regor, sergent, and the hyena pa k to name a few. They really needa look at what sort of arsenal is available by what fight and shuffle a few around

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharpq said:

I'm a new player (MR 5) and what I noticed - boss fights are really bad balanced in the game. When normal mission I'm able to do in 5-10 min, boss fight took me around 30 min where I spend more time to shoot and I see 0 as a damage dealt. but when I finally deal some damage, is so small that I'm forced to look for ammo. I found this quite strange. Also is difficult to find info about mechanics of the boss fight, mostly I forced to research youtube. Information provided by game is unclear what you must do. I don't think is good idea to create a bullet sponge as a level of difficulty. 

Some of Warframe's bosses tend to have mechanics and/or areas that are invincible in some fashion. The key is in finding when the boss is vulnerable and/or where the boss is vulnerable. Most of the time, shooting when you do 0 damage is simply a waste of ammo. Continuing to do so will ensure you run out of ammo, if ammo is limited (some weapons have unlimited ammo reserves). Part of the enjoyment I got out of boss fights when I was a new player, was figuring when and where to hit. Some of the bosses can be frustrating (I'm not the biggest fan of Vay Hek), but some of the bosses in Warframe have some of the best design I have ever encountered in a game, because DE took the time to implement mechanics requiring more than just damage - it requires strategy, it requires timing, it requires the correct load-out and it requires (some) aim. Finally beating it the first time was extremely satisfying (Profit Taker is highest on my list and a contender for best boss fight I have ever had in any game). 

While I would agree some bosses have some less than desirable mechanics or damage reduction qualities (the crit-mechanic on Eidelons for example), I cannot agree with the sentiment that bosses are simply damage sponges, with the possible exception of Lephantis and The Jordas Golem. Bosses are... well... bosses - they tend to be tougher, tend to be a greater challenge than normal missions, even normal missions that follow after the boss was beaten. As it should be.

Bosses, much like normal enemies, tend to have damage types they are weak to, or resistant against. Be sure to keep a scanner handy and scan your enemies. This will update the information available on said enemies in your Codex, revealing things like which types of damage are better to use against them. If you find yourself taking 30 mins to beat a boss, it may mean you haven't quite figure out the mechanics to beating it yet, or it may mean you don't really have the fire-power to take them on yet, or it may simply be that you didn't have the correct damage types on your weapon for the fight.

Enjoy the challenge Tenno!

8 hours ago, sharpq said:

I'm a new player (MR 5) and what I noticed - boss fights are really bad balanced in the game

The game does a very bad job of explaining this, but the bosses on the first run through are introducing new mechanics, and you often need to use those to defeat the boss.

You hit most of these MR5-8ish.

Don't bring the right weapon type/mods and you won't damage the boss much.

8 hours ago, sharpq said:

I spend more time to shoot and I see 0 as a damage dealt. but when I finally deal some damage, is so small that I'm forced to look for ammo

This means you're taking the wrong type of weapon or the wrong load out.

If you're doing no damage scan the boss and view them in the codex - bosses take little damage from some elements and extra damage from others. Take the right elements.

Around Saturn it starts to matter what elements you use: corrosive, viral and slash for Grineer, magnetic and toxin for Corpus. Heat or Slash is always good, Impact is nearly always useless.

Usually (but not always) crit weapons are better against bosses - crit always increases boss damage.

Bosses are weak to damage types, but often either invulnerable to status procs or capped out at low numbers. This basically nerfs high status weapons and especially rapid fire/beam status weapons.

This is ironic as high status rapid fire weapons are probably the best for most missions at this stage, they just suck for bosses.

Many bosses also have specific weak spots - any spread or AoE damage will be wasted.

For boss fights take something accurate that does high damage per shot. Add crit mods, the right status types for the boss.

Snipers work well at this stage - you can get the Vectis cheap in the market and it's a good starter sniper.