Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ophelia, full concept (quest+lore)

Ninjatroll353

Warframe concept

Ophelia

The Shadow Queen

Overall info:

Shadows have a queen. Lost to the time to be uncovered and rebuilt by the tenno. Although not a fighter don't underestimate her cause nothing is as it seems 

Health: 250 (at rank 30-600)

Energy: 0

Shield: 0

Armor: 200

(those design choices are justified in the lore) 

Passive:

While Ophelia is in darkness she regenerates 3% of her max hp every 2 seconds and gains 5% evasion. 

When downed you become a shadow (can't attack but you will give enemies "paranoid" effect) and can cast up to 3 abilities. 

1st ability: Shadow Pulse

Ophelia sends a wave of energy that makes enemies forget about their tasks (returns alerted enemies to unalerted state) and heals her allies for 

Range: 10m

Healing:4/6/8% of maximal hp per second for 3 seconds

If alarms are active the base duration of the unalerted state is 5 seconds, if the alarms are of it’s permanent.

Cost: 30 hp

2nd ability: Touch of the darkness

Creates a shadow that follows you for a set amount of time. Enemies who see the shadow gain a "paranoid” state for some time. While " Paranoid " they can shoot their allies on sight. If they see any player while “paranoid” they shoot in random direction and run away from the player. They don’t trigger the alarms once “paranoid” status ends. Shadows are unable to attack however they draw attention away from the player. If enemies get “paranoid” when they are alerted the duration is longer but every enemy can be affected just once  

Duration: 

With alarms: 6/8/10s

No alarms: 3/4/5s

“Scare” charges per shadow: 1/2/3

Shadow duration: 10/15/20

Max shadow amount: 3(not scaling)

Cost:

3rd ability: Into the shadows

Ophelia steps into the shadows slowly draining her health. While in the shadow form she is undetectable by enemies and receives reduced dmg. Additionally she gains bonus movement speed. Using the weapon with “alarming” sound makes her leave the shadow form and receive 10 dmg. Melee attacks and silent weapons can be used but attacking increases the health drain.

Initial cost:60hp

Dmg reduction: 35/45/60%

Movement speed bonus: 15/25/50%

Drain 2% max hp/s ,while attacking 4%max hp/s

4th ability:  Lake of shadows

Ophelia covers a surrounding area in a limitless darkness. Enemies inside it begin to go "mad". This state makes them shoot everyone they see on sight for set amount of time. Allies inside become hard to spot for enemies (or invisible if alarms are off).On top of that allies get evasion. Attacking enemies who are inside the shadows has increased crit chance.Ability spreads over time to it’s max range from the place of casting.

Range:6-12/8-16/12time

Madness duration: 4/8/12

Cost: 100hp

Duration: 12/18/28s

Evasion: 5/10/15%

Additional cc: 25/35/40%

rkNwm_NjA0cYkMqLr9TOV_7eiotJ9_XZGwunBx1X33E90nBN1HBgT8Ypi5oqv-pS5d938eon8hvRPYUxZ4mJTEisuS5imYlnQ6nbsgZe_-SONF1vuh-_3Os0MuyYhOyeS_3IB5N9=s0

S_V-N_H-TwTxNiFikXz2YMhkRUyQtgyoE0VCmoFGsVXG0dJb1_hx4PmhTZPI4kuAykR6-DhEGRyQOcXqDGJ_URQnYyvTqW_V-wjZXRJeRWERp

Signature weapon :

Shadow (dual daggers)

F5OmYdXtBGbPrLt1lRDGCOtfWC-Z2qWZq301f4x44DaXCoSbjddW-avpOEUz8hKbHH6LC5W59yIKhejx1M53CHa-5f6p3tTfIF0nGyjqSacB7HEoGFvoD6P_Ae-QOPwlzKrH5VPh=s0

Crit: 15%

Attack Speed: 0.92

I: 15

P: 100

S:150

Kills with that weapon have 10% chance to generate health orbs

When used by Ophelia has increased finisher dmg

When you use heavy attack on unalerted enemy it heals you for 10% of your max hp

Lore:

In the last years of the orokin empire the massive corpus frigate with a mad captain would kidnap important orokin delegates and take them hostage. Many tacticians suggested different approaches but in all of them two main tasks were set, to exterminate the crew, as a sign of power, and free the hostages. Many platforms were proposed but in the end, garuda was selected. Though she was a ruthless killer she was selected on this mission to the surprise of many but not many knew about Garuda's so-called "sister". Ophelia was her complementary unit. She was designed to distract enemies so garuda could easily take them out without taking any major damage. Project Queen of shadows was kept secret because Orokin officials believed that there was a spy among them and the stakes of the mission were too high to fail it. 

Both warframes were sent on a mission in different vehicles and at different times. Ophelia would go there first. Because of her stealth designation she had no energy nor shield modules installed so she would not be detected while entering the ship's proximity. She was there to plant the seed of chaos and prepare the ship for her sister's arrival. Ophelia has hidden in the shadows, unseen but not ineffective. Every day the crew would get more and more anxious of what's around them. Strange whispers, shadows following them and visions that would not go away. Always there but never visible to the eye. Ophelia also scouted the area, localized all the key components of the ship and found out that the hostages were held on the main bridge. When the time was right she slowly began to cover the whole frigate with darkness as her sister departed from the nearby orokin stealth ship near the orbit of Venus. When she arrived there were no defences active. Crew was still standing but their morale dropped to the floor. Hardly anyone was defending themselves when the two sisters got to work. Blood spilled that day but no bullet fired. They slowly made their way towards the bridge where the hostages were held. As command grew desperate while locked on their bridge they decided that they would never let the hostages be taken but also couldn't let the "demon" live. They've set the trap and were waiting for their enemy. But the problem was that they expected only one of the sisters. First the darkness started to slip through the gaps of vent systems, slowly cowering the whole room. Every light went out one by one. Darkness consumed every enemy but they still remained alive looking where they crewmates should be standing. Silence became unbearable but the sudden alarm echoed trough the room. Captain checked on the last light up console. Engines began overheating and so did the reactor. It was just moments away from collapsing. Panicked general grabed few terryfied hostages and ran with them to the drop ships. Through darkness nobody could see him or so he thought but the darkness followed him leaving the last remaining board officers to garuda. When the lights lit up, only 4 out of five were left alive. They saw one of their colleges body impaled on spikes, dripping with blood and from behind it they could see a figure. Covered in blood with no face. They couldn't scream nor move. They just saw as the small blades would approach their necks. Slicing open their arteries leaving them to bleed. Then the first explosion happened. Garuda grabbed the remaining hostages and ran for her ship but they all knew  it was to late. The frigates reactor exploded and sent the ship flying towards the Venusian surface with no hope. 

Only one shop launched from the frigate at the last second. Shuttle filled with fear and darkness. General tried to flee towards other corpus ships but little did he knew that there was no hope for him. He sealed his fate by grabbing the hostages. He felt relived as the darkness backed off but it materialised behind him in a for of Ophelia with her two trusty daggers. She attacked the unsuspecting general and spilt his head in half. Hostages screamed in terror for the explosion echoed trough their shuttle and threw it to the surface of Venus. They were able to control it a bit and crash landed it in the ice storm never to be heard from them again. Operator of the garuda managed to wake up again but her friend never gained consciousness again.

After years solaris would uncover the fragments of the old corpus frigate but with it fragments of something that definitely didn’t look like a corpus creation. Later they would uncover this to be fragments of a long lost wf garuda. They hid it away from nef afraid of what he would do with such a creation and gave tenno the opportunity to restore her to her former glory. 

However, the ophelia project was scrapped since she wasn’t able to finish her first task. As she was the only prototype all the knowledge about her was lost or so it would seem. All data about project “shadow Quen” have been erased but the orokin kept on experimenting with her energy

Quest idea:

Part 1: First encounter

You get a message from Eudico saying something about almost unreadable transmission from somewhere in the ice storm surrounding orb valis. The only word that can be heard in the transmission is “help”.
Eudico: “This does not sound like anyone from us, nor it’s the Corpus. Anyway there is not much we could do about it. It’s almost impossible for your warframes to withstand this cold for too long, even frost would have a tough time. We might be able to help you with that but first we would have to equip you with some dense armour protecting you from those extreme temperatures.”
Then ordis proceeds to tell her about fathers necramechs and how they could be helpful in that mission.
Here if you own your necramech It’s easy you just bring it to fortuna so they can research an upgrade for it to be able to go into the storm
If you don’t tho you have to go to father or otak to ask them about renting you one. They give you a mission to retrieve some missing part from iso vaults for the necramech. And after that the deal is the same as if you own one.

You then launch a special mission from your orbiter and get dropped inside the necramech to the storm. As you drop in you hear the transmission from eudico saying “we also equipped you with some basic signal tracking device, it’s old but works well in this conditions, only on short ranges tho”

On the ground the visibility and movement speed are severely decreased you also can’t charge or jump. Basically you just walk slowly through the snow and ice following very subtle static noise that gets louder when you face the location of your target. 

First point of interest is an old tech corpus pulse engine. Since ordis flies directly above you he can still communicate with you but there is a strong interference. He tries to say something about the story of this but gets cut because the storm gets stronger. You hear the next static noise and since ordis is silent you decide to go after it. After some time the signal gets stronger and you find the hull fragment. Since the storm calmed down a bit you hear ordis again. As you look around you find the source of the signal. A small black crystal reflects some light. Looks a bit like ice. You approach to pick it up but you see a hand holding it. Ordis says something about a person being here and asks you to pick up the crystal. When you touch it the storm gets a bit quiet (it’s still there but you can’t hear it for some reason), then you hear a very faint whisper: “help”. 

Ordis: -Operator. Did you hear that or are my sensors numbed by the storm?

-Yes, it definitely didn’t sound like anybody i have ever heard

-The signal (interference)..... ahead…..(interference) cautious. (storm rages on and cuts you out)

You follow another static signal and finally arrive at the crash site. You see some movement inside and go to investigate. The ship is of an old corpus design. Even though the necramech is large, you manage to find hole big enough to get inside. As soon as you enter you feel that something is not right. It gets dark right away, the storm gets completely silent but in this silence you hear steps. Like someone is watching you, following you. You try to turn around but your mech is too clunky to do it quickly so you just turn around and see nothing. Even the entrance that should be a few meters behind you got consumed in the darkness. You proceed forward and find one more body, completely frozen. It lies at the edge of a cave entrance heading deep underground. You decide to follow.

The whole way you hear steps and feel like being watched. While walking trough the tunnels you can interact with a special shev variant which will award you with arctic shev bp. After you reach the crossroad you hear the same “help” form the right tunel. Situation may repeat a few times but every second the shadows get thicker and this unspoken presence gets more intense. Finally you reach the last chamber filled with the same dark ice crystals. Since the entrance is too small for your mech you try to go in in your operator form. It’s cold but the storm is far above you so you are able to survive. Upon entering the chamber you see three bigger crystals that look like they are filled with shadows. Also they look like they have faint human figures inside. At the end of the chamber there is a bit philar similar to the ones on the floor but it’s also emanating some kind of a strange energy. You click approach (cutscene starts). 

Your operator gets closer and closer to the crystal, the darkness gets thicker with every step. Only visible thing is a strange purple glow from the crystal but finally your operator touches it. Everything gets completely silent for a second and you hear a so clearly like the speaker is right next to you “help”. Darkness disappears from behind you and cumulates around the main crystal pushing you back so you fall over. You crawl back and see slowly as the shadows of corpus emerge from the big mass in front of you but among them, in the back you see the faint silhouette of something that looks like a wf. You see your operator pupils widen in fear and then he/she runs for the necramech. (cutscene ends)

You are put back to your mech and have to escape the shadows. Your sprint is enabled so you can dash in your mech towards the exit. You still can hear the steps, now of many shadows. When you finally get out you hear last “help” and bust through the hole in the hull (the green evac point is in front of the ship)

(exit cutscene)When you get out you still can’t hear the storm but you see that the whole ship is surrounded by shadow figures. Hundreds of them, then you hear ordis scream through the interference “Operator Jump”. Mech jumps trying his best to use his small boosters and gets grabbed by Landing craft and escape leaving all the shadows behind

Part 2: gathering Intel

Back on the orbiter:

Ordis: "Operator!? Are you alright? 

• Yes, I think I'm fine. Do you have any idea what that was? 

• I was not able to see much. Just some corpus wreckage and then I detected a massive energy spike. 

• So you have not seen any shadows? 

• Operator? Are you sure you are alright. 

• I definitely saw them

• I'll run some necessary diagnostics 

• I told you I'm fine. Let's focus on that wreckage then. 

• If you insist……  I'm not able to find any similar signatures in my database. 

• It looked like a corpus design but definitely not recent. And it didn't look like it moved anywhere recently. It must have been there for some time. 

• Corpus? Are you sure operator? 

• I'm not sure but it looked similar to the dropships I saw on corpus frigates. 

• I'm still not able to find anything similar in my database

• In that case we need to ask someone that might know

Then we try to contact maro. When we arrive at the bazaar we find out that she went on an infiltration mission but have not given any signs of life. Then we are given her last location which is on some corpus planet. It's a rescue mission since we intercepted some transmission about some kind of spy. 

After rescuing her she thanks us and after asking question she replies that she never saw a ship like that but knows where we might find some data about it. She explains that since it looks old we should look in some old databases and some ships crashed on europa have been there for a while

Infiltration mission on europa (3 data banks required) 

After finished mission ordis and operator discus the topic. Ordis:

• From the data you collected I was able to extract some information about that kind of ships. They were used on old type corpus frigates back in the last days of orokin empire but there was not much more info because no such ship was reported missing. 

• Wasn't there any more info about any frigates of that type functioning in similar time around Venus? 

• (Silence, ordis looks for data) There actually were 2. Both of them are no longer operational. One have been disassembled and used to build newer models of frigates and the other crashed…in… orb valis? There is no more info about that crash. No survivors, no witnesses, no black boxes info, no crew logs. 

• Maybe eudico knows something or at least knows where to find some info? 

We go to fortuna to see eudico and she gives us a quest to raid some data caches (this is just a first concept). 3 stage orb valis mission. 1 coildrive- getting a special data key. 2 capturing officer- getting codes. 3 infiltration- getting info. When we go back we talk with eudico:

• I never knew you were looking for this. This was a very old wreckage. Corpus sent many su to reclaim what was left of it. I wasn't here at that time but I heard many stories. Many of our people went mad while working there. Claimed that saw shadows and other weird anomalies. Corpus never believed but we kept on working and eventually the wreckage was disassembled and used to create the new corpus bases in orb valis. Now nothing lies where it used to. There were however two more things. Sparky, have you never wondered how we got our hands on this bp that we gave you for this new warframe? We found it there. I mean not blueprints but shattered parts. We hid them and analized. We didn't want them to get into corpus hands and when you came we felt obliged to give it back to you. Reports also say something about some dark crystal emitting energy from it. After it was taken nobody else saw any more shadows 

•  

Part 3: recovery 

Back at the orbiter. 

• Operator. The signature of the ship you found in the storm matches the data found in ov and the signature of the wreckage. But we already found garuda. Then what was inside this dropship? From your description it looks like this had nothing to do with her. 

• I don't know… Su claims that they also saw the shadows and I also found a crystal matching eudicos description. 

• But what does that mean? We have never encountered anything similar to it. 

• There is only one way. We need to go back. I want to check what's with this crystal 

You go back to the storm in the necramech. You go to the part of the engine and pick up that crystal that you left there last time. You try to contact ordis but the storm is too strong. You hear steps behind you and then a faint "help". It leads you to the next crystal lying somewhere under the snow. You are able to see it because of the faint purple glow. Same noise leads you to the third crystal. Darkness starts to close. Ordis says something about getting higher thought interference. You see the shadows getting closer but see the hill that you go to and then realize that the shadows are chasing you. You quickly run up the hill and escape the same way as the last time. 

Part 4: Uncovering secrets

• Operator, while you were gone, the geostorm got weak enough for me to scan the area surrounding the crash site. It seems like all the energy signatures you described have their source underground.

• I knew it had something to do with those crystals we need to go back there 

• It’s to dangerous to go there…

• Ordis, we must uncover what is really going on over there. Someone keeps calling for help, I can’t ignore it

• …. I figured out you won’t give up. Since the crystals you found emit a similar energy signature that those shadows I created a bp for a masking device. You should be invisible for them or at least they won’t react to you in a way they do now 

• Great, as soon as it’s crafted I will go 

Dark ice talisman crafting requirements:

1x darks purple ice shard

100x oxium

40x Hespazm alloy

300x Alloy plate

(there will be 3 in total, purple, red and blue)

You hang that device like a lantern on your belt or hold it in hand (as teno). When you go back to the crash site you see some sort of path created from dark purple smoke. It guides you to the depths straight to the icy room. Now all the ice pillars glow strongly and you hear whispers in the room.Path leads you to the first of the smaller phillars. You interact with it and you put the black ice talisman close to it. You see the humanoid-like silhouette and ice slowly starts fading away. Not melting, just fading away. You see the silhouette look your way. Looks just like a frozen corpse yet there is still something in there, some mystical glow in it’s eyes . You hear a quiet “thank you” and the corpse disappears transforming into black shadow with a small purple tint and teleports next to the big philar leaving behind a slightly bigger crystal with a purple tint and a gold object inside. You take it and the darkness slowly starts flooding into the room filling it from the bottom. It does not deal dmg or anything but there is nothing else to do here. Only change you can see is that the other small philars have other tints. One is slightly blue and the other one red. After leaving the crash site you see the same black silhouette over the wreckage but still you hear another call for help. You leave the same way as last time but now without anything chasing you 

After returning to the orbiter

• Operator, the object inside this crystal is of an orokin origin. I can not detect anything similar to it in my database but this is surely something created by them 

• What now? There is still more to look for. We still don't know what we are dealing with

• I would suggest raiding the lua databanks. If there is any place that could contain some knowledge about this object it's lua 

Next part is a lua spy with the requirement of 3 successful data extractions. 

• Operator, the data you retrieved say nothing about what this object is but they contained the locations of two crystals similar to the ones you found on Venus. I have located the first one in the orokin tower in the void. 

Now it's time for a mission in void with some puzzle at the end that has the blue tinted black ice crystal. You get another bp of a talisman made out of the crystal you found

Next part is the same type of mission in lua. However when you reach the puzzle room it is partially destroyed and you encounter sentient mimics inside. One is different, it has the red crystal on its chassis. Once you kill him you get the crystal and on the orbiter another bp for a talisman.

Part 5: Rescue 

On the orbiter:

• All those crystals seem to be connected in some way. They emanate a very similar energy….. Operator I’m detecting a massive energy spike coming from those crystals

There is a big light flash and you can hear a loud scream “help”

• What was that?

• I don’t know but everything seems to be gone 

• Ordis, we gotta hurry up. Something is wrong. I can feel it

When you get in the storm you find the traces of corpus. On the surface there seems to be nothing left walking. You see the destroyed bits of corpus robots (not moas tho, only the bigger proxies). Once you go inside the cave system you also see some pieces of those robots. When you get closer to the cave you can hear some sort of drilling sound. The cave entrance is blown open and you can see a buffed (heavily armored with some cold proof plating) corpus technician inside along with two LN2 proxies. After defeating them the main ice philar cracks a bit and you can see light leaking through the cracks. Now you need to use the other talismans on 2 remaining side philars. The procedure is the same but corpses animations warry slightly. Both of them leave behind a bigger crystal of their corresponding color with a small orokin core inside. Once you pick them up something weird happens. Now the three silhouettes surround the main pillar. It starts glowing stronger and once it stops another silhouette appears from it. A shorter one and looks like a teno but as a shadow. She smiles and you can hear the whisper. “Thank you, take good care of her”. All 4 shadows step inside the final ice monument and disappear and the pillar starts to fade away leaving you with the remnants of a warframe that you have never seen.

Back on the orbiter:

• Operator, I have detected that the orokin element inside this crystal contains the blueprint of a warframe. I don’t know what it is, but…..

• I do ordis, I do….

For the quest you get the blueprint for Ophelia and also you can now open the crystals using 10 void traces each to get the parts. Each of them requires small crystals. You picked up a few purple ones but the red and blue are in the same places you got them the first time. When killing the sentient on lua or claiming the crystal in void you have a 25% chance to get skygge bp. 

Additional events in the origin system:

The shev bp that you have found was analyzed by ordis and he said that it is one of a kind. Probably some special squad left it there. While walking through edges of orb valis there is a chance that ordis will tell you about an energy signature similar to the shev. This will begin a small event if hunting for a grineer supply cash. 

It will always drop one rare resource (affected by boosters) 

And has a chance to drop

15% - Arctic shev blade

15% -Arctic shev hilt

10% -Arctic apricot bp

10%- Arctic karak bp

10% - shy leaves

10% - skyge hilt

10% - Arctic hek bp

10% - Arctic buzlok bp

10% - Arctic hind bp

5 hours ago, Ninjatroll353 said:

While Ophelia is in darkness she regenerates 3% of her max hp every 2 seconds and gains 5% evasion. 

When downed you become a shadow (can't attack but you will give enemies "paranoid" effect) and can cast up to 3 abilities. 

Remove the 5% evasion all together or allocate the power budget to get it all the way to 50%. As a 5% evasion it's not noticeable to the point most ppl would not even notice it exists. Also change the wording the health gain to 1.5% per second ( unless you intend it to only proc after 2 seconds)

1st ability: Shadow Pulse

Ophelia sends a wave of energy that makes enemies forget about their tasks (returns alerted enemies to unalerted state) and heals her allies for 

Range: 10m

Healing:4/6/8% of maximal hp per second for 3 seconds

If alarms are active the base duration of the unalerted state is 5 seconds, if the alarms are of it’s permanent.

When designing a skill that affects both allies and enemies its best to make the effect related but opposite. If it slows enemies it speeds up allies , if it damage enemies it heals and so on. Just so the effect seem related.

2nd ability: Touch of the darkness

Creates a shadow that follows you for a set amount of time. Enemies who see the shadow gain a "paranoid” state for some time. While " Paranoid " they can shoot their allies on sight. If they see any player while “paranoid” they shoot in random direction and run away from the player. They don’t trigger the alarms once “paranoid”

A rather interesting form of cc but It might need a quite a bid more charges. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly 

3rd ability: Into the shadows

Ophelia steps into the shadows slowly draining her health. While in the shadow form she is undetectable by enemies and receives reduced dmg. Additionally she gains bonus movement speed. Using the weapon with “alarming” sound makes her leave the shadow form and receive 10 dmg. Melee attacks and silent weapons can be used but attacking increases the health drain.

Initial cost:60hp

Dmg reduction: 35/45/60%

Movement speed bonus: 15/25/50%

Drain 2% max hp/s ,while attacking 4%max hp/

This skill ridiculously overpowered. It's better invisibility with is one off the strongest defense in game with a lot of extra upsides. The silent weapon requirements are trivial to beat since hush is a exililus mod and the health drain is trivial to offset with operator arcanes or a simple side strike mod.

Ophelia covers a surrounding area in a limitless darkness. Enemies inside it begin to go "mad". This state makes them shoot everyone they see on sight for set amount of time. Allies inside become hard to spot for enemies (or invisible if alarms are off).On top of that allies get evasion. Attacking enemies who are inside the shadows has increased crit chance.Ability spreads over time to it’s max range from the place of casting.

The madness effects seems redundant I would rather apply it as a synergy with the 2nd skill. Something like inside absolute darkness the shadows created by touch of darkness can leave the ground and fight as specters frightening all enemies inside off the lake off darkness. The rest off the skill is fine and a really like the synergy with the 1.

The visual is where this concept shines. You nailed biomechanical warframe look .

My only issues with this is that id like half of these abilities on another frame. A hacker/tech savy warframe. For a shadow Queen, id expect something more frightening. Especially if youre going to be a Queen, stealth doesnt really cross my mind when i hear queen and thats what it seems like these abilities are trying to captivate. Id imagine a queen as someone in the front line, doing the best at something. Intimidating those who are beneath her. A leader.

But aside from that, i do like the abilities, theyre something thats a bit fresh to warframe that i always enjoy

Archived