Best Primary and Secondary for Melee Players?

(XBOX)CurseOfBind1ng

Question

For context: I'm an Excalibur Main who primarily uses his melee/Exalted Blade modded for maximum efficiency and DPS and rarely primary and secondary weapons, but sometimes you just need that range to deal with a pesky enemy too far away or with a Boss. I'm asking for advice on what weapons I should use for my playstyle since they aren't as important to me, at the time of writing this I've been using the Acceltra (General crowd control if things get out of hand and I'm low on energy), Hek (Bosses) and Lex (Slot filler) and have been doing OK but they fall off on some of the harder planets and moons. What should I eventually replace them with? I kind of don't want to spend a lot of Forma on them due to me saving them for when I get a Nikana Prime or something like that so there's also that. Mastery Rank or general acquisition don't matter to me as I will eventually get to the proper rank or get the proper weapon/mod through grinding or good ol' fashioned waiting for it to become unvaulted so please suggest weapons across ALL phases of the game.

So, what are the best guns for primarily melee players?

20 answers to this question

If you're willing to build a zaw, you can get an Exodia that lets you fire off a pretty impressive aoe ranged attack from your Zaw.

As for guns, if you hate aiming, I recommend something that can do its job fast and decently. Dex Furis is an anniversary weapon but it's good if what you need is just some bullets and fast. I personally use a kitgun with the Rattleguts chamber designed for high status quick reload.

For primaries, it all depends. Fulmin is a great primary if you don't like guns, since you only have to worry about ammo as much as you're firing it, since it automatically recharges its ammo over time.

When it comes down to it, it all depends what kinda guns you like the feel of. "Best" means nothing if you hate using it, tbqh. For example, everyone hates Daikyu, but I love it. I don't mind charging it up, and I actively use it on my Harrow and sometimes on my Gauss since they can reduce the charge time to almost nonexistent.

You'll have to make guns anyways to rank up, so it might be a good idea to work on a bunch of guns that interest you, level them up, and get a feel for them and keep note of ones you like vs ones you dislike or are neutral towards. I'm doing that with frames currently, but I'll have to move on to weapons eventually.

brFt8DO.png

yes i know there aren't 47 primes available rn, but due to limitations there's no easy way to make it auto calculate the amount of primes with the current formula

Gunblades are.

Or if your melee fails, try high status weapons. If the enemies aren't immune to status you can use primary/secondary to help with stripping some armor. Tenet flux rifle can get over 300% status chance with innate fire/toxin/cold for a heat and viral combination that helps your slash procs require less time.

For pistols, kuva zarr is kinda busted (nerfed soon tm). kuva nukor is still great with innate peculiar growth.

14 minutes ago, Flannoit said:

When it comes down to it, it all depends what kinda guns you like the feel of. "Best" means nothing if you hate using it

It's not necessarily that I hate using guns but just that I prefer melee in most scenarios due to consistency and how Excalibur was pretty much designed with melee in mind (used to at least). The reason I'm asking for the "Best" is because frankly I just need a gun that can do it's job as a reliable backup damage dealer if melee isn't an option, I don't really care if I hate using it or not because it's very rare I actually *would* use it.

I'm not really the kind of person who categorizes weapons based on whether or not I like the feel of them, because at the end of the day what's fun for me is destroying the funny alien cyborgs with the press of a button. All weapons (varying on type) feel the same for me at the end of the day, it's all about what is generally just the more consistent and useful weapon at the end of the day when it comes to my playstyle of spamming the melee button and watching everything die.

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)CurseOfBind1ng said:

So they're basically anime gunswords? Sounds cool and all but how do they actually function in-game, I never really trust wikis to know how they work. Are they basically just a a Bullet-Blade combo?

I personally hate gunblades. They do kinda hybrid gun + sword gameplay but imho it kinda sucks. Definitely something to try out yourself, though, and a lot of people love it. It's just not for me.

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)CurseOfBind1ng said:

So they're basically anime gunswords? Sounds cool and all but how do they actually function in-game, I never really trust wikis to know how they work. Are they basically just a a Bullet-Blade combo?

Gunblades aren't really used in the anime way on Warframe. You ignore their combo and focus on heavy attacks, which in the case of Redeemer Prime makes them a shotgun that uses melee mods instead. Their heavy attacks due to being projectiles means they still deal damage against enemies that can't be hit by melee combos and against sentients [the ones that fly] you can kill them with 1-2 heavy attacks.

Heavy attacks were introduced with the melee rework a couple years ago to replace channeling. Some weapons have gimmicks associated with using them, or work better as heavy attack spam weapons.

I'd recommend the Tenet Cycron as a secondary - it fires a beam that spreads from the initial target to two additional targets, has infinite ammo that recharges after not firing for a short while (so it always be full after you've done a few melee swipes) and can proc multiple status effects on multiple enemies very quickly to increase your melee damage with Condition Overload - the more status effects, the better. Radiation can get you out of a tight spot with many enemies around, as the Radiation status effect, Confusion, causes enemies to attack whatever is closest, including other enemies. The Nukor or Kuva Nukor would be a good alternative if you don't care for the infinite innate ammo recharge, as these weapons have an additional status they inflict called Microwave, giving Conditional Overload an even greater buff.

For the main, Bubonico should be great. Main fire deals excellent damage, alt fire can be used to apply status effects on enemies with an AoE blast and the ammo recharges automatically as well. 

Throwing in my 2 cents on Gunblades: They can be fun, but it is subjective, as it would depend on whether or not you enjoy the combo's. There are two stances - Bullet Dance is more focused on using the weapon as a gun, firing shot after shot within the combo, with a strike here and there (one combo is pure shooting I believe), while High Noon is more focused on melee strikes with the blade, with some shots thrown inbetween (one combo is pure strikes). You can check the wiki to see thee combo's. Personally I prefer High Noon, because I can use it like a melee, or shoot repeatedly my alternating between two combo's. I use a hybrid build (I do have a riven though), build my combo meter when I want and use Heavy Attack when I want for the tougher enemies. It can take out Steel Path bosses no problem.

43 minutes ago, Yamazuki said:

Gunblades aren't really used in the anime way on Warframe. You ignore their combo and focus on heavy attacks, which in the case of Redeemer Prime makes them a shotgun that uses melee mods instead. Their heavy attacks due to being projectiles means they still deal damage against enemies that can't be hit by melee combos and against sentients [the ones that fly] you can kill them with 1-2 heavy attacks.

Heavy attacks were introduced with the melee rework a couple years ago to replace channeling. Some weapons have gimmicks associated with using them, or work better as heavy attack spam weapons.

Are they effected by Excalibur's passive?

8 minutes ago, (XBOX)CurseOfBind1ng said:

Are they effected by Excalibur's passive?

If you are asking about Gun Blades, then no. It's just swords, and it would work on their heavy attacks. Although, if it did work for gun blades, the attack speed and damage bonus wouldn't matter. Heavy attacks deal insane damage per hit that you're overkilling the majority of enemies with just Corrupt Charge worth of combo, and to speed up heavy attack you focus on mods that say Heavy Attack Wind Up Speed.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Melee#Wind_Up

If you are primarily a melee player, I recommend you not use a shotgun as a primary; the reason is that that is the only type of weapon that can't use the Amalgam Serration mod, which is basically a slightly weaker version of Serration that also gives you +25% Sprint speed.  That Sprint speed will always be there for you, and it's the reason I don't use shotguns anymore.

As for specific weapons, you can't go wrong with the Kuva Nukor as a secondary.  For a primary, I'd recommend something like Tenet Envoy (giant AoE's from laser-guided rockets for precision aiming) or Rubico Prime if you're more interested in taking down boss weak points.  Tenet Envoy will also automatically reload over time while your melee weapon is out, which is a nice bonus.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)CurseOfBind1ng said:

For context: I'm an Excalibur Main who primarily uses his melee/Exalted Blade modded for maximum efficiency and DPS and rarely primary and secondary weapons, but sometimes you just need that range to deal with a pesky enemy too far away or with a Boss. I'm asking for advice on what weapons I should use for my playstyle since they aren't as important to me, at the time of writing this I've been using the Acceltra (General crowd control if things get out of hand and I'm low on energy), Hek (Bosses) and Lex (Slot filler) and have been doing OK but they fall off on some of the harder planets and moons. What should I eventually replace them with? I kind of don't want to spend a lot of Forma on them due to me saving them for when I get a Nikana Prime or something like that so there's also that. Mastery Rank or general acquisition don't matter to me as I will eventually get to the proper rank or get the proper weapon/mod through grinding or good ol' fashioned waiting for it to become unvaulted so please suggest weapons across ALL phases of the game.

So, what are the best guns for primarily melee players?

The weapons that you have now are fine. 

If you're not going to spend the time to mod/forma/potato them, then you're going to have problems. 

Get potatoes from Nightwave, and use the basic mod setup ( damage, multishot, crit chance, crit damage ). Then throw on that need status - corrosive for Hek, and I prefer rad for the Lex ).

Just my two-cents, of course.

If all you enjoy is melee and you only need a ranged attack for backup in case you cannot reach an enemy, then the answer for you is Exodia Contagion.  Plague Star is coming in a week, so make sure you farm at least 11 copies of it to form a max-ranked version.  It is one of the most powerful ranged attacks in the game, is explosive, and will go on any Zaw you craft and gild.  Enjoy!

I don't play melee usually, but I would think that if I were to use Condition Overload, then I would like to have a shotgun with high Stat Chance and high number of pellets per shot. Then I'd stack on more 60/60 mods to deal more status effects from mid-range, then close in to kill with melee. With the added status effects on the enemies, my melee hits would gain +dmg%.

That would be my basic plan.

Battery weapons are the way to go, as they reload while you swing your melee weapon. I like the Fulmin as it has some convenient functionality: the primary is perfect for flying enemies (e.g. arbitration drones) and the secondary is perfect for nullifier bubbles. So precisely the kinds of things you’d want your guns to handle as a melee player.

Every single weapon (yes, even the stug) can easily deal with all of regular starchart.

You can't go in and expect not to max your mods and potato/forma your weapons. Even if you're saving for nikana prime, how many forma are you gonna use on it ? 5 at absolute most if you wanna cram the umbra mods inside ? That's nothing. 

Just get yourself guns that you like and have decent stats (I'm sure you can figure out on your own what good stats look like) and invest in it. The fact that your current guns are struggling is entirely because you didn't invest enough in those, they can one shot anything on sedna even with a suboptimal build.

Also, general advice, you go and enjoy melee as much as you want, but you should really get used to guns. Warframe is very much a "the right tool for the right job" type of game, if you only ever invest in one kind of tool, you're gonna back yourself into a corner at some point.