Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

is there a reason for DE's absurd constant release of explosive weapons?

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

i once had hopes for self damage to comeback as it limits our careless exploits of explosive weaponry, it also could've had potential for a warframe that feeds off of damage to fuel his abilities (like chroma but interesting).

but the more i play the more i notice the EXTREME increase in the blast radius of some weapons, exceeding 8 meters, it's kind of sad.

not only that, everyone and their grandma must have a rocket launcher in their arsenal, even non explosive guns like tetra (one of my favorite ricocheting weapons) now has an alterante fire mode with it's Tenet vairant, making the idea of enjoying the ricochet mechanics of the tetra bullets pointless.

it's just too much, too quickly, what's the use of headshots and snipers now? 

What do you think? what's your opinion on this?

Because people keep telling them that it is a horde based game and that single target weapons or weapons without a multi-target gimmick struggle to be effective for that reason. 

And their usage stats support this by weapons that hit a lot of targets at a time floating to the top consistently. 

They know what the playerbase wants, so they give them more and more of it. 

I couldn't care less, if people want to use boom boom weapons to achieve BDD numbers let them that is their option no one if forcing a bramma into anyone's hands. I use them from time to time as I do enjoy seeing stuff go boom but overall I would rather bring my trusty Braton Prime with me, and thanks to the new mods and arcanes life is even better with it.

I don't think the problem is them releasing explosive weapons, rather that a lot of the explosive weapons have obnoxiously large and disruptive particle effects that linger. I remember when staticor was one of the worst offenders, but now, using kuva ogris, it's really easy to spam enough projectiles to make my game lag considerably. 

58 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Because people keep telling them that it is a horde based game and that single target weapons or weapons without a multi-target gimmick struggle to be effective for that reason. 

And their usage stats support this by weapons that hit a lot of targets at a time floating to the top consistently. 

They know what the playerbase wants, so they give them more and more of it. 

Look I agree with this as its completely accurate, but DE could make weapons like the Ambassador (which I really like as its good for low to mid level stuff) give it more damage in higher levels .. and I think thats where the problems arise.. how do DE make weapons like the SMG or assault rifles better for higher levels but so they dont just wipe the enemies off the face of the maps on lower levels.  Using the example of the Ambassador, great auto weapon with a built in sniper .. nice concept but in say Steel Path it is pretty much useless like most others of its kind.. where as the AOE weapons do a form of damage to anything really..

1 hour ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

what's the use of headshots and snipers now? 

I never really saw the point of snipers in average content anyway given how much the enemies thrash around in general.  Maybe you're a much better sniper than I, but honestly it's more effective if I just grab something full auto and turn enemies into swiss cheese instead of trying to line up headshots on an enemy that's doing their best to give themselves whiplash.

Just now, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

I never really saw the point of snipers in average content anyway given how much the enemies thrash around in general.  Maybe you're a much better sniper than I, but honestly it's more effective if I just grab something full auto and turn enemies into swiss cheese instead of trying to line up headshots on an enemy that's doing their best to give themselves whiplash.

Snipers/single target bows/etc. have only ever been half effective when players are not only going for headshots, but using punch through mods or natural punch through with some weapons to line up their shots in a hallway and take out a bunch at once. A weapon that is truly only effective single target is never going to be anything but for niche uses in Warframe. 

1 hour ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

What do you think? what's your opinion on this?

precision weapons do still have their place in certain boss fights: good luck doing Kela De Thaym with only AoE weapons when you need direct damage to do the puzzles between phases. I still enjoy using non-AoE, and DE still release non AoE weapons, like the upcoming Strun and Magnus primes. they can still be very effective, it's just that it's faster to get things done with AoE weapons, and most players will care about efficiency above all else.

14 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Because did you know that 97% of creatures in the Origin System aren't exploding right now?

"THAT'S BULL****, BUY A GOD DAMN TORGUE GUN!" 

It's a hoard shooter, explosions are one of the ways guns compete with the ridiculous melee potency.

I'd say we should have some more nuance, with explosive safeties that stop them from detonating if your in range to self damage, and unique types of health that reduce explosive damage like shields and physical shields, but really, there needs to be more potency in regular weapons, they could bump up punch through mods with additional effects that help close the gap, maybe make explosives more occlusive so they don't damage through objects like melee, or even reduce damage based on number of targets between the detonation and the recipient. 

Whatever they do, I hope they do a more comprehensive job that reviews the function of status balance and so on to improve more than one thing rather than chucking in a nerf bat. This is a hoard shooter, the hoard is just as relevant as the response to them. 

Because they're popular with the casuals and DE is running a business here. Powercreep is always an easy guarantee to sell new content to players regardless of the game (but DE didn't get the memo on powercreeping enemies at the same time).

But it isn't like recent ones are responsible for pushing out other weapon types as this has been a thing since the ye olden days of everyone spamming the Torid. We're just spoiled for choice now with overpowered aoe guns that can easily carry anyone through anything. Plus the new gun buffs pushed their overkill numbers up high enough where casual players are satisfied with using them over melee even through the damage was already sufficient.

Also things like aiming for headshots and especially sniper rifles have always been an afterthought. Accuracy and projectile sizes are such that accidental headshots are common enough plus the extra damage isn't usually helpful. While Sniper rifles have always been 100% worthless outside of some bosses and Eidolons.

DE probably took a gander at their analytics, noted Explosive weapons are popular and continued to give people what the analytics show they want. Either that, or maybe DE has decided this the the direction they wish to go in.

On top of that, the community has an insatiable hunger for new things, new content, new weapons. DE does do a good job of introducing new weapons with a unique feel and/or unique mechanics, but it is probably easier to take a few old weapons and slap a new coat of AoE paint on it, than to think up the same amount of new weapons with a unique feel and mechanics in the same amount of time. More content delivered by DE, more variety for the players, more things to collect, more reasons to log in. A win-win (personal views on balance aside).

Are there missions where single target weapons are more useful than blast weapons or weapons with some sort of radius?

There are some, and this is why people have snipers or single target weapons in their arsenal as well.

But if you take away blast weapons, or nerf them down, or make them self harm then people will focus on using frames that have CC and let the others languish.

Balancing is the trickiest part to this types of games.  Balance weapons and frames with content and what the player base wants, and some many different variables is becoming more and more difficult as the game progresses.  I have seen this from the very infancy of MMOs like Ultima Online, all the way through to the current iterations of the most popular MMOs today.  You are never going to make everyone happy.

Personally, I love ragdolling, I never tired of it and including enemies in the Tenno Space Program TSP is always funny, sending them into orbit I have to admit is a guilty pleasure.

There is always that option of doing content solo or with pre-mades that are not using explosive weapons, good luck with finding anyone who doesn't use them like you mention.  But you can, and should if that is how you enjoy the game most.  I do a lot of content solo just because I absolutely despise speed running, and doing missions like survival where everyone runs off in different directions wanting to increase their end mission score to look good, and in the process split the mob so that you have to turn on air.  People behave really strange in groups, so solo is my best option for most content, but, I also play with pre-mades and enjoy that mode as well, and in some cases I love playing randoms.  Just compose each mission to maximize your fun!

Using sniper rifles is still a good way to get infinite energy with the Sharpshooter mod.

They can speed up some Sorties with the correct frame combination.

But explosive weapons are really just cheap considering the current powercreep, yeah.

I never use them, unless it's some boring farm that wouldn't be much less mind numbing if i just used proper weapons, basically it's the lazy choice you would pick when you're so done with the grind you can't even be bothered to aim.

Archived