Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kicked-dog yelps are traumatizing. Why? Wtf?!

(PSN)Votrae

Kubrows (companions and wild) make soul crushing, injured sounds constantly. 

What player likes that? What designer thought players would want to hear unambiguous, authentic, kicked-dog yelps hundreds of times per play session?

It makes Kubrow companions flatly unusable for me, heck I avoid Earth missions because of it. I may be overly sensitive but I'm surely not alone.. dogs have been a beloved part of the human experience since long before games existed. Or math. We are averse to hearing them suffer.

Without exaggerating, I cannot fathom how that decision was made. Please consider revisiting it. 

29 minutes ago, (PSN)Votrae said:

What player likes that? What designer thought players would want to hear unambiguous, authentic, kicked-dog yelps hundreds of times per play session?

In all honesty I had no idea they made this kind of noise. Maybe I don’t use them enough to notice - the kavat types are better.

I do think there is some reason to have dog yelps though. When the kubrow gets injured this kind of noise might be suitable - depending on how it sounds. If it’s a noise where many people genuinely believe a real dog got injured for it then maybe not.

53 minutes ago, (PSN)Votrae said:

It makes Kubrow companions flatly unusable for me, heck I avoid Earth missions because of it. I may be overly sensitive but I'm surely not alone.. dogs have been a beloved part of the human experience since long before games existed. Or math. We are averse to hearing them suffer.

Without exaggerating, I cannot fathom how that decision was made. Please consider revisiting it. 

You could, I don't know... suggest different sounds that might cause "less impact" for some people...? You know, stuff like... I don't know... sound samples and stuff..?

... I mean, how many different "pain sounds" can a Kubrow do that can actually fit its intended purpose and cause the necessary impact to its master in order to force the master (We all know it doesn't) to protect its companion...?

It's not that traumatizing.

Seriously, with all the blood, gore, death cries & literal body part-stripping debt slavery, a dog yelp is the thing that gets you?

I know I sound insensitive, but it seems like an overreaction on your part. What, are they going to replace the yelping with happy bark? "It hurts so good!" Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. Unless you want it to sound more "alien", there's no real solution to this.

hace 1 hora, (PSN)Votrae dijo:

Ikr, thats why I never play with more than 5 volume, every time I hear a pet, wild/corpus/grineer dog, wild/grineer kavat or even the juggernaut from deimos bounties get hurt or die I lose a big chunk of my soul.

They could just erase those sounds really, I mean, in the majority of cases we obliterate them so having them screaming doesnt make sense.

3 hours ago, (PSN)Votrae said:

It's very much intentional

Making your Kubrow companions whine is an incentive for you to heal them. And you CAN heal them. It's equal parts traumatizing and therapeutic

Wild Kubrows are rabid invasive pests. Unlike their ancestors, they're unisex killing machines. Killing them isn't murder so much as euthanasia

5 hours ago, (PSN)Votrae said:

soul crushing, injured sounds

Realistic sounds and lighting have always been at the heart of DE's Art Department. I imagine they sourced the sounds from happy, healthy animals and not from injuring real animals.

cat plays GIF

What player likes that?

Some players like realism. Some players are sadistic. At least a few may be ignorant. I imagine a significant number of players acknowledge that the sounds do bother their conscience, but they are rather apathetic to do anything about it.

CdWzGaP.jpg

I may be overly sensitive but

No, no I do not think you are being too sensitive. Ignoring your conscience would be a terrible thing. Letting DE know what the players are thinking is important.

7 hours ago, (PSN)Votrae said:

I mean, I sympathize because I also don't want to hurt animals, but at the same time this is a violent video game. It's filled with authentic-sounding death screams of humans (Grineer & Corpus of all humanoid variants), dogs (Kubrows, Drahks & Kubrodons), cats (Kavats & Hyekkas), pobbers, bolarolas, kuakas, condrocs, and all other conservation animals on plains / orb vallis / deimos. 

I think @LillyRaccune is correct: You are not wrong for feeling unsettled - it's kind of the whole point of these sounds, and if you feel it's important then you're right to voice your opinion strongly. However, I suspect you face an uphill battle trying to remove death sounds from a violent video game, and should maybe consider that perhaps violent games simply aren't your thing if you find the death sounds too difficult? 

Delving a little deeper, it sounds like you are specifically concerned with the death sounds of dog-like animals in particular, and don't have the same problem with the horrific death screams and awful suffering of humans and other animals simulated in the game. When I was growing up, we had two cats. They are now both dead (one quite recently) and I terribly miss them. As a result, I sometimes struggle with cats or cat-like animals being harmed in movies and/or video games [and other animals in general, but cats in particular due to my own experience]. I don't know what experience you have with dogs in your life, but I would guess that this has something to do with your very specific adverse reaction to the sounds made by dog-like animals in-game. What works for me (with cats) is to remember that the animals on-screen are not real, their actions are coded and their sounds are simulated. No animal is actually being harmed. Not sure if that will help you, but it works for me!

Hope this helps!

22 hours ago, (PSN)Votrae said:

I may be overly sensitive but I'm surely not alone.. dogs have been a beloved part of the human experience since long before games existed.

You are not sensitive. Just....lack experience with dogs in their non-domesticated form.

Sound they make means nothing.  Its just a reaction to pain....Just like Human's "oof!" and "ouch!".    A dog that tries to bite your face off still makes those wimpy sounds when you stab it in the gut with a crowbar...... And it keeps biting. Surprisingly tough.

These is no sadness or cuteness in that noise.  It translates to something like "That fukin hurt!"....or, more likely, just "Pain!".  Its a sign for other dogs, indicating that something caused it harm and rest of the pack should avoid it.  They generate it by instinct.

I hope that will change your perception a bit.  Coz its bad for health to feel too much sympathy towards animals....it can literally get you, or someone you could have saved, killed.

18 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

You are not sensitive. Just....lack experience with dogs in their non-domesticated form.

Sound they make means nothing.  Its just a reaction to pain....Just like Human's "oof!" and "ouch!".    A dog that tries to bite your face off still makes those wimpy sounds when you stab it in the gut with a crowbar...... And it keeps biting. Surprisingly tough.

These is no sadness or cuteness in that noise.  It translates to something like "That fukin hurt!"....or, more likely, just "Pain!".  Its a sign for other dogs, indicating that something caused it harm and rest of the pack should avoid it.  They generate it by instinct.

I hope that will change your perception a bit.  Coz its bad for health to feel too much sympathy towards animals....it can literally get you, or someone you could have saved, killed.

what the actual #*!% are you talking about

let people like animals, weirdo

2 hours ago, Flannoit said:

let people like animals

I never said you should dislike them.   All I said is that their "wimp" is just a signal, and should be treated like any other's creature reaction to pain......ignore the graphic stuff, i just had lots of various experiences with animals, both good and bad.  Knowing something =/= weird.

Interesting

You're ok with killing Humans, because they're de-humanized by bulky armor, funny square helmets, and speak in foreign languages.

but the animals which aren't human in the first place, don't seem to benefit from any de-humanization effect.

Interesting is all, I'm sure there's a psychology paper on this someplace, might make for a good read, anyone have links that aren't behind an academic access paywall?

You can literally burn humans alive, mind control them into killing their comrades, nail them to walls, desecrate their corpses, and watch animations involving dismembered humans wiggling in pain until their eventual death but a yelp from something that resembles a dog is a bridge too far for you?

lmao

Archived