Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition to allow for disabling Lotus!

Whibbs

"Multiple enemies ahead. Leave no one standing." I know, I see them on my map, see them in front of me, and hear them.

"I'm detecting a large security force heading your way. It's the Grineer." Literally chose that faction, don't need to be reminded.

"Stay away from the fire."  Nah, I thought I'd walk right into it.

"You've found a target. Capture them quickly before they escape." I see them running away, so, obviously.

"The Excavator has lost power. Find another cell." Power level display hits zero, timer stops, and markers showing power cells on the map. I can put 2 and 2 together.

"Excavator destroyed. Protect the remaining dig sites." Oh really? I thought it just moved when it went kablooey.

"The enemy have taken a tower, you must recapture it." There was an alarm blaring and one of the objectives turned red. Hmm, must mean nothing.

These are just a few examples of my own frustration. I obviously can't speak for everyone as I'm sure there are people who *cough* en...joy... *cough* space mom's digitalized, holographic, whatever tf she is, constantly repeating herself, despite 'Hint Transmissions' being turned off. However some people, much like myself, would rather alt-f4 mid sentence to shut her up.

In all seriousness though, why does Lotus need to have 4+ dialogue phrases for the exact same thing? Must she repeat them an infinitesimal amount of times during every single mission of the game? Once a player is experienced enough, what use is she to us? To be completely blunt, all I care to have her around for is to let me know when there's a new alert while I'm sitting in the foundry or mod station, otherwise, I despise her more than I despise swimming through a pool of lemon juice and needles.

So here it is then, a petition to have an option of disabling her from 99% of the game. Comment your "yes" or "no," and let's put an end to her reign of terror.

Lotus does need to shut up more often. It's especially bad if you're running an infested hive sabotage... She'll repeat the exact same dialogue, as if you've never heard it before, EVERY time you encounter a hive. First hive? sure, I understand briefing me on it. 3rd hive I've encountered in the exact same mission? ...Lotus, I'm pretty sure I already know how to handle this mission at this point.

40 minutes ago, Whibbs said:

So here it is then, a petition to have an option of disabling her from 99% of the game. Comment your "yes" or "no," and let's put an end to her reign of terror.

You do know you can mute her right? You just set transmission volume to zero. What transmissions are worth listening to anyway? One plus with this is it mutes Nora, who also talks way too much. Just remember to unmute it for quests if you want to hear what they say.

A dedicated option would be nice though.

4 minutes ago, krc473 said:

You do know you can mute her right? You just set transmission volume to zero. What transmissions are worth listening to anyway? One plus with this is it mutes Nora, who also talks way too much. Just remember to unmute it for quests if you want to hear what they say.

I'd rather reduce Lotus's overwhelming noise than outright make it so I have to remember to reset it if I'm doing quests or an NPC says something I want to hear.

Audio is an important accessibility feature, just like subtitles are.

The BIGGEST issue with the Lotus is that she will literally repeat herself constantly throughout missions to such a degree that it's outright obnoxious.

5 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I do currently have transmission volume set to zero, but the problem with that for me is I can't hear Ordis' speech glitches. Granted sometimes he is annoying, mainly with foundry items, but most times I find him quite hilarious. Nora however, sometimes I think she's chill, other's meh.

Overall though, as I'm sure we can agree, a dedicated option for Lotus is practically needed at this point. Catering to new players only takes a game so far before it starts to deter older, more veteran/experienced players.

1 minute ago, Flannoit said:

The BIGGEST issue with the Lotus is that she will literally repeat herself constantly throughout missions to such a degree that it's outright obnoxious.

After a while you learn to just completely phase her out. I tend to not notice her talking most of the time.

3 minutes ago, Flannoit said:

I'd rather reduce Lotus's overwhelming noise than outright make it so I have to remember to reset it if I'm doing quests or an NPC says something I want to hear.

I am not saying it is the best option, just that we are forced to use it if we don’t want to hear her. 

2 minutes ago, Whibbs said:

I do currently have transmission volume set to zero, but the problem with that for me is I can't hear Ordis' speech glitches

At this point you have to pick which is better - hearing Ordis or not hearing Lotus. People have been asking for a dedicated option for years, same as one for Nora. So far DE has not given us one.

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

After a while you learn to just completely phase her out. I tend to not notice her talking most of the time.

Sometimes I can tune her out, but certain rarer mission types it gets a bit harder. Even moreso if I'm streaming for my boyfriend. Hive Sabotages, the one I keep bringing up, are juuuuuust rare enough to be harder to tune her out while also giving her like 50000000 lines of dialogue every time she starts talking.

10 minutes ago, krc473 said:

At this point you have to pick which is better - hearing Ordis or not hearing Lotus. People have been asking for a dedicated option for years, same as one for Nora. So far DE has not given us one.

I didn't quite mean that Ordis or Nora were my deciding reasons for wanting to disable Lotus speech, I more so meant that there are thing I wish to hear, or at the very least haven't heard before. Turning off all transmissions pretty much eliminates all potentially new experiences.

Sure, even I tune out some of her dialogue at times, but it still does get to a point where it's just torture. When the room is empty and I'm waiting on enemies to come to me, and she pops in with, for example, "Life support is running out blah blah." It's like the game is assuming I'm AFK and needs to remind me, despite the indicator already being on my screen.

Hell, I'll even go as far as to suggest this:

If we can't have an option to disable Lotus, then disable alllll of the mission indicators. If she's going to remind me of this and that, then what do I need a timer for? What do I need alarms for? Why do I need enemy radar?

It's way beyond "this or that" to get away from something. There's logically no sense to why she has to talk so much. Putting it bluntly, turning off all transmissions pretty much takes away from an entire aspect of the game that, to some/most, is actually enjoyable. There just needs to be a dedicated option of turning her off specifically. There's one for Ordis, so why not Lotus? Space mom is leagues more annoying than Ordis.

Edit: There are simply too many redundancies in the game and 99.99% of them revolve around Lotus talking. Personally, I find her to be the worst character in all of Warframe. (100% zero offense to Rebecca Ford, it's not the voice, it's the amount of times Lotus talks and disabling hint transmissions doesn't eliminate the issue.)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, (NSW)mrEkli said:

Replacing Lotus in general.

If I could chose, I would want Darvo/Clem giving me mission directives and comments. Both of them together, like Otak/Loid. I would probably enable hint transmissions just so I could hear more from them!

• MxK8nkA.jpg "Clem clem, cleeemm~. Grakata, clem."
  • nbJeDGY.png"Hey Tenno, Clem is right! If they purge this computer data, our mission will fail. That would be bad."

46 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

If I could chose, I would want Darvo/Clem giving me mission directives and comments. Both of them together, like Otak/Loid. I would probably enable hint transmissions just so I could hear more from them!

• MxK8nkA.jpg "Clem clem, cleeemm~. Grakata, clem."
  • nbJeDGY.png"Hey Tenno, Clem is right! If they purge this computer data, our mission will fail. That would be bad."

Clem should also give you random buffs if you use Grakata or his Specter.

7 hours ago, [DE]George said:

"Enable Hint Transmissions" set to 'off' in the Audio Options menu will disable most of the transmissions that play a lot.

It doesn't though, and some of the transmissions you all have deemed "important" go beyond handholding and bleed into the realm of playing the game for us while others, such as life support getting lower you did decide could be cut half the time. And personally, that last one is my major irritation. There is no consistency in what gets cut when you disable the hint transmissions. It's like you decided that RNG would be best for figuring out what is important. And don't even get me started on the plague star bounty. my clan has lost more players to burnout from this event than to anything else, and one of the major points is they are so sick of the voices that they just don't want to hear them any more, period.

One of my exiting players made a point I really think you at DE should hear: "[The dialog] makes me feel like [DE] thinks I am too stupid to play their game without them leading me by the nose." That's a paraphrase... there was a lot more profanity in the original quote.

Possible solutions? Well, first, more mission control characters. I don't think you realize how much players enjoy the fact that quests like the War Within, events like Crimson Spear and Orphix Venom, and missions like disruption aren't guided by Lotus. for me, one of the biggest disappointments of Corpus railjack was that when you enter the ship to do the standard part of the mission, Cy hands over the reins to Lotus. I love Cy as mission control.

If that is too much to ask then how about 4-5 simple generic lines from Ordis accompanied by UI elements that the game switches to when "Enable Hint Transmissions" is turned off:

• "Mission objective marked, operator"- Start of the mission or when a new objective appears
  • "Critical mission status!"- For things like low life support or extractors running out of power with the problem marked on the UI.
  • "Target located." for things like assassinations and captures.
  • "All done operator, head to extraction"- Mission complete.

The key is to keep them as short as possible and devoid of flavor so that even after hundreds of repetitions the players brain only hears an audio cue rather than something the brain flags as dialog.

But really, it has been YEARS since Lotus left, and what everyone considered to be a stop gap (holo-Lotus) you just left in. I know you have a lot on your plate and games like this can only survive on new content, not reworking old, but if you ignore stuff like this you are just making it harder for long term players to want to stay.

To add on, it shouldn't just be a mute, but something that actually turns off the popups as it's just more screen clutter which Warframe has a bad issue with as it is. Nora's popups should also turn off when muted.

Only specifying this due to how DE took the "Give the option to mute Nora" literally as her popups still display for no real reason other than to fill up the screen.

...seriously DE, you guys should revamp the HUD and reduce the sheer number of screen clutter.

Archived