You have been playing for over an hour

lNussi

Apparently it is there because of some law.. so far I haven't been able to find that law and can't think of any other online game that does this. But the thing that bothers me the most about the message is that it is so inaccurate. My gameplay loop is often 15-45 minutes of gaming and then I go afk for 10-15 minutes so the game starts telling me to take a break around the time I come back from one -.-

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

Apparently it is there because of some law.. so far I haven't been able to find that law and can't think of any other online game that does this. But the thing that bothers me the most about the message is that it is so inaccurate. My gameplay loop is often 15-45 minutes of gaming and then I go afk for 10-15 minutes so the game starts telling me to take a break around the time I come back from one -.-

I haven't found anything on the law but I believe it's region specific (EU being one of them I think)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lNussi said:

turns into spam pretty fast :smile:

If I see that message twice in a row then I know for sure it's time to log out....

2 minutes ago, NecroPed said:

I haven't found anything on the law but I believe it's region specific (EU being one of them I think)

That would explain why I see it so much 🙂

9.6 of the PEGI Code of Conduct:

9.6    Safety Warnings; Signatories shall advise users of Online Gameplay Environments under their control of the desirability of taking occasional breaks from Online Gameplay.

PEGI is a non-profit organisation that regulates age classification/rating of games across Europe and has the authority to fine companies or remove games from sale for non-compliance.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NecroPed said:

EU being one of them I think

Ah, I was going to say maybe there is a setting to turn it off that I must have turned off years ago because I don't ever see it and I don't remember ever seeing that message. But, region specificity makes more sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yuzuki-Prime said:

Ah, I was going to say maybe there is a setting to turn it off that I must have turned off years ago because I don't ever see it and I don't remember ever seeing that message. But, region specificity makes more sense.

As far as I know regions that have this law or similar are: EU, South Korea and China. Not sure about any others though. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

obviously the timer does not know that you are physically not at your PC. all it sees is you being logged in. or do you think it is actively observing you in real space?

Well obviously. The point is that most online games do track when you aren't pressing buttons for certain amount of time and flag you as afk. Besides Warframe already has the code to track activity in missions so it does actively observe the players in real space and the same system could be used to improve the timer so it doesn't spam the message for no reason.

1 hour ago, Katinka said:

9.6 of the PEGI Code of Conduct:

PEGI is a non-profit organisation that regulates age classification/rating of games across Europe and has the authority to fine companies or remove games from sale for non-compliance.

Pretty sure this doesn't mean "spam the player constantly after an hour unless they restart the game". Getting the message once per hour is fine, getting it at the start of every mission (which can be less than 2 minutes apart) is a bit excessive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yuzuki-Prime said:

If you played on Xbox, you can actually turn a notification setting on in the console settings that does the same thing, regardless of region. Guess this was added for players who do want to tell themselves to take constant breaks.

18 hours ago, Leyvonne said:

Getting the message once per hour is fine, getting it at the start of every mission (which can be less than 2 minutes apart) is a bit excessive

Where does the message appear? Is it a pop up box? That could be pretty annoying.
Most games I'm familiar with that do it (MMOs) usually just put it as a system message in the chat box. If it's there...then...I mean, it sounds like you're being a bit hyperbolous. It's pretty easy to ignore the chat box.

1 hour ago, Yuzuki-Prime said:

Where does the message appear? Is it a pop up box? That could be pretty annoying.
Most games I'm familiar with that do it (MMOs) usually just put it as a system message in the chat box. If it's there...then...I mean, it sounds like you're being a bit hyperbolous. It's pretty easy to ignore the chat box.

It is printed in the chat box every time you enter an area. So if I'm doing short missions the message is sent when I enter the mission and when I get back to orbiter. Not sure how you can ignore the chat window opening every couple of minutes or if you'd like your conversation with someone be like
Friend: What are you up to?
Game: You have been playing for over an hour.
Me: Opening relics.
Game: You have been playing for over an hour.
Game: You have been playing for over an hour
Game: You have been playing for over an hour.
Friend: Wanna do some rad shares or bouties?

Repeat this every couple of minutes until you restart the game and it gets annoying no matter how hard you try to ignore it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CarrotSalad said:

I actually wish i had that notification..

Trying to look after my health.. Some missions and tasks ingame can eat up allot more time than intended.

Get a little kitchen timer with a magnet on it and stick it on the side of your computer.

It is EU specific, yes. There are some general reminders (not laws...) that "playing for 45-60 minutes should be underlined with a break/pause of 15-30 minutes".

I would also like to get rid of that message, but welp. It is DE afterall. They did took about 6 years to implement some UI features. Removing an automated string will probably take 3-5 years, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by iHeuksal