Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I don't see how we're meant to avoid the Acolyte Magnetize bubble.

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

There's almost no visual indication that it's being cast and the bubble itself is barely visible, especially while you're in it.  Given that it will straight up oneshot you with your own damage and the effect is pretty much immediate upon cast, there really needs to be a better visual indicator before and after the cast as well as a short period after cast where you have a second to notice that it's up so that you actually have some kind of reaction window and can stop attacking and roll out of it.  As it stands you pretty much have to treat Malice like a goddamn Dark Souls boss and just roll constantly so that you won't get instagibbed by a completely broken ability.

I mean, there is definitely a visual effect for it, but I could see how it'd be hard to pick out in the morass of particles the game can become.

I usually just make sure to prevent him from ever being able to cast anything in the first place, same as every acolyte, since none of them spawn with their powers active, by making sure Silence is active. If I have Ensare and Sonic Fracture I just tied him up and punt him into the nearest wall sans armor and waste him, otherwise it's likely I'll have Gloom and which point I've got all the time in the world to zero a weakspot and shoot him or take him out with whatever melee weapon I happen to be using at the time.

Warframe in general is a very visually unclear game.  Most of the time this doesn't lead to your death, but in this case it frequently does.  Enemies could use better telegraphing (ahem, toxic ancients).

1 hour ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

As it stands you pretty much have to treat Malice like a goddamn Dark Souls boss and just roll constantly so that you won't get instagibbed by a completely broken ability.

Like you're suggesting, the best strategy is to pre-roll.  Whenever an acolyte starts to spawn, start rolling around a lot.  Then listen for the bubble or see if you left it behind.

It has distinct visual and audio cues when he attaches it to you, so it's not that hard to avoid. All you have to do is pay attention next time he's about to spawn and you'll pick up on them. That and not shoot like a madmen everywhere, so you won't kill yourself by accident while he's around.

You have a few solutions to Malice:
-Pay attention and roll when he casts his ability on you then nuke him
-Use melee which can't be reflected back into you and kill him that way
-Use an ability which 'interrupts' them (quite a few abilities can do this), or float them with melee weapons that can float enemies, that renders them helpless as you kill them regardless of level or what abilities they may have (Xata's gaze ability works well against accolytes: Cast it on them , wail on them while they can't do anything, watch ability expire and them die at the same time)

It's not really that hard.  The only "difficult" pieces are some glitches/bugs that come with the magnetize bubble, where some alternate fire modes from allies can damage you, even though main fire modes can't seem to hurt you.

Overall though the game is pretty clear when you've been tagged with it

Bunch of people don't seem to understand what immediate means.  You can be pulling the trigger and have them hit you with the bubble and oneshot yourself.  And their bubble works on projectiles that Mag's version doesn't.  I've had my Exalted Blade projectiles kill me from the bubble.  Spamming roll as soon as one starts spawning is...  Not engaging gameplay.  It's about as much fun as getting oneshot.

It's not the game's fault that you have trouble with rolling once to evade a simple and telegraphed ability, and killing the acolyte in between his cast-times. Just do what everyone else does and bring a status primer like Epitaph's quick-shot, shoot few times and wail at him with regular CO melee. It's the easiest way of killing all acolytes in seconds. Sometimes I even kill him before he can cast his magnetize, so that's that. Yes, he's unfair, but only before you understand how his attacks work and learn how to evade them.

4 hours ago, Incongruous said:

It's not the game's fault that you have trouble with rolling once to evade a simple and telegraphed ability,

I mean.. to be fair Warframe is a visual puke. There is so much crap constantly happening it is pretty easy to miss single animations of any enemy. Not to mention visual effects on the player (like the bubble) can be hard to see when there are tons of particles/effects happening constantly. 

Encountering Acolytes in slower mission types generally helps with this issue a lot but if you run into them during survival missions good luck. There is so much crap happening on screen at any given time that I don't think it is fair to knock anyone for not noticing single animations/effects.

I think this brings up two problems:

1. Visual and audio clutter. It does seem many people have fine visual and audio settings that they can notice the bubble. But this isn't the only time people haven't been able to see it well. So it does seem like something should be adjusted that it's a little more evident. (Perhaps something like a Magnetic effect on the HUD and a dampening of other sounds just to make it more clear? It's a magnetizing bubble, after all...)

2. A diminishing precedent. DE has been straying away from instant-kill mechanics, ranging from self-damage to pre-shieldgate, for a while. So getting blown up in an instant is becoming increasingly strange. I mean, to paraphrase TyeGoo, it's a cheesy enemy. I don't know if cheesy enemies are really good design, especially when it stands out like such a sore thumb (even compared to other Acolytes, Malice is a pretty large step up in the threat level department).

On 2021-09-06 at 9:46 PM, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

It's a pretty obvious green swirling bubble around you.

Yes and no. On small corridors, you won't see the edges of the bubble.

Another problem, if your frame match the energy color... you won't know if its your energy or they before the death happens xd

Frames like ember, have almost permanent particles around them and its easy to suicide.

I don't die to any of the acolytes, but I'm unsure how anything any of them do are "telegraphed" well. They're no different to the overwhelming majority of enemies that aren't strictly doing a melee slap, in that they just instantly do what ever action. This wasn't any different to the issues others had with Necramech enemies and the no real warning of them reflecting damage, yes it was obvious it was happening when it was, but that's not what a "telegraphed" attack means.

This is why most of the game just consists of preventing enemies from doing anything or killing them before it matters.

On 2021-09-06 at 10:20 PM, Incongruous said:

It's not the game's fault that you have trouble with rolling once to evade a simple and telegraphed ability, and killing the acolyte in between his cast-times. Just do what everyone else does and bring a status primer like Epitaph's quick-shot, shoot few times and wail at him with regular CO melee. It's the easiest way of killing all acolytes in seconds. Sometimes I even kill him before he can cast his magnetize, so that's that. Yes, he's unfair, but only before you understand how his attacks work and learn how to evade them.

If you’ve been doing steel path for a while you naturally switch to epitaph and use melee on malice, but as a new player? Good luck finding out how to deal with him. There isn’t any indication that a roll removes the bubble. The same problem exists for high level toxin procs, or void storms in railjack. Add the the amount of particle effects especially with nightwatch napalm. There isn’t any indication within the game.

2 hours ago, grvy.23 said:

If you’ve been doing steel path for a while you naturally switch to epitaph and use melee on malice, but as a new player? Good luck finding out how to deal with him. There isn’t any indication that a roll removes the bubble. The same problem exists for high level toxin procs, or void storms in railjack. Add the the amount of particle effects especially with nightwatch napalm. There isn’t any indication within the game.

A new player on steel path? 

22 minutes ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

"Don't shoot at enemies in a game about shooting at enemies"

Especially considering how quickly you need to kill everything, this is the worst advice to the issue possible.

It's good advice, when you're up against Malice, which is easy to notice since the name appears on screen and all.

It's a special enemy that requires you, for a few seconds, to adapt to a special situation.

Then you can go right back to (the obviously quite fun) mindless slaughter :P

13 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

It's good advice, when you're up against Malice, which is easy to notice since the name appears on screen and all.

It's a special enemy that requires you, for a few seconds, to adapt to a special situation.

Then you can go right back to (the obviously quite fun) mindless slaughter :P

Or having an enemy that completely shuts down combat just by existing because it has the potential to one shot you without warning if you're still fighting is a poorly designed, cheesy mechanic.

Archived