Is Wisp' Will-o-Wisp a copy of a frame?

quxier

Question

When you cast Will-o-Wisp you become invisible and, I assume, your copy fly for some time. 

Is WoW suppose to make a temporal copy of you or is it something else? If it is a copy then enemies should look and try attack you. Am I right?

Or is it something else? The Description says "spectral image" but I couldn't find definition of it.

7 answers to this question

Most likely, it is an illusion, whilst you are invisible. 'Spectral' means ghostlike, afterall which means it is an image that is not quite there.

Wisp turns invisible, and projects an illusion of her floating forwards. As far as enemies are concerned, she started flying in a straight line in their direction, because they can't see anything else, and their enemy is right there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Wisp turns invisible, and projects an illusion of her floating forwards. As far as enemies are concerned, she started flying in a straight line in their direction, because they can't see anything else, and their enemy is right there.

So I guess it's bugged where they face (invisible) me after some time of W-o-W.

38 minutes ago, quxier said:

So I guess it's bugged where they face (invisible) me after some time of W-o-W.

I think this might be just a base part of how the ability works. Will-o-Wisp is a Decoy, much like Loki's and Saryn's. It's supposed to draw fire and so on.

If enemies are turning to look at you, there's two reasons why this can be:

1. The range on the Will-o-Wisp's Decoy draw is not very large, and you may be running lower Range for better Duration on her kit. Even if Range is not a stat that affects the ability's Decoy draw, it does have a Range, and after a certain amount of time enemies will stop being drawn to it because it's now too far away to Decoy them.

2. If you attack, you are only Invisible, not Hushed (even when you are Hushed as well as Invisible, shooting enemies makes them look at you, because they wonder where the shot came from), and this means that enemies can hear you and will turn towards the gunfire if it is more 'aggro' than the Decoy function of the Will-o-Wisp.

The ability is a distraction tactic, just like the other distraction tactics that other invisible frames have. It's not a complete CC, or a complete Stealth, but a hybrid of both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

2. If you attack, you are only Invisible, not Hushed (even when you are Hushed as well as Invisible, shooting enemies makes them look at you, because they wonder where the shot came from), and this means that enemies can hear you and will turn towards the gunfire if it is more 'aggro' than the Decoy function of the Will-o-Wisp.

I'm not doing any sound. So it's not possible.

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

1. The range on the Will-o-Wisp's Decoy draw is not very large, and you may be running lower Range for better Duration on her kit. Even if Range is not a stat that affects the ability's Decoy draw, it does have a Range, and after a certain amount of time enemies will stop being drawn to it because it's now too far away to Decoy them.

The thing is they turn around almost 180 degree to face me. Is it what is supposed to happen?

2 hours ago, quxier said:

So it's not possible.

Everything are possible.

Understand that warframe's a.i is dumb. Even with saryn's or loki's decoys, sometimes enemies will still shoot at you instead of at the decoy.

If it's a one time scenario, just try it again and if it behave differently, move on. If it happens consistently then that's what supposed to happen regardless of the description.

Edited by Soy77

Do you have a sentinel that's shooting them ? Maybe your electric motes shocked them ?

Or maybe they are just looking for cover and crash into you.

Collision /damage causes enemies to go into seek mode. And will target the point of collision or damage origin.

17 hours ago, quxier said:

Is it what is supposed to happen?

No, but I have noted that a lot of times the enemies do seem to be preternaturally aware when they're 'Alert'.

I've personally seen grineer get on a turret and shoot at me when I'm not only invisible, but also on the other side of a physical wall. Techs on the new Corpus Ship tiles shoot at my Loki before I enter the room sometimes.

But this is specifically when they're in the 'Alert' state. No passive enemies ever look directly at me.

There may be a bug going on in the current system where Alert enemies have a way to bypass their 'detection' range, and even 'line of sight', which would negate invisibility effects.

And it's definitely not intended.

What is intended would be that, after Will-o-wisp passes out of range, enemies go into 'search' mode and try to find the real you.