Jump to content
  • 0

When did the tax start on PAs?


GrazeZeroLow
 Share

Question

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
6 minutes ago, GrazeZeroLow said:

Good afternoon.

Since when did DE start taxing players on Prime Access? I was always charged the $139.99, but now there's a $8 tax? 

Is this a bug, or did they change something and didn't tell us?

I wont argue with how and on what you should spend your money since if you see value pay for it and dont regret it

But i have honest question and its not a joke even so it can sound like it and i expect serious answer

You pay 139,99 for something and 8$ extra is a problem?
I do get money is money but i really dont understand your standpoint?
 

And well i we all hate taxes we can agree on that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 minute ago, ZeroX4 said:

I wont argue with how and on what you should spend your money since if you see value pay for it and dont regret it

But i have honest question and its not a joke even so it can sound like it and i expect serious answer

You pay 139,99 for something and 8$ extra is a problem?
I do get money is money but i really dont understand your standpoint?
 

And well i we all hate taxes we can agree on that


The problem is, that DE never taxed us on Prime Access before. I was charged the $139, but my sister got the $8 taxed on. 

We both use paypal and live in PA, so it seems extremely unfair that she's taxed and I'm not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
53 minutes ago, GrazeZeroLow said:


The problem is, that DE never taxed us on Prime Access before. I was charged the $139, but my sister got the $8 taxed on. 

We both use paypal and live in PA, so it seems extremely unfair that she's taxed and I'm not.

Ok now i see clearly your standpoint thx

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

How is sales tax a clown show?

Massive numbers of individual taxing jurisdictions, frequently overlapping. Each with its own categories and definitions for said categories, and wildly varying rates. There are places where you can literally cross the street and pay a different tax rate on an identical item.

 

The US is pretty much the only place in the world where purchase taxes are added after the fact and not baked into the price.

 

Deliberately designing a more broken system would essentially require adding daily randomized tax rates.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Zyffyr said:

Massive numbers of individual taxing jurisdictions, frequently overlapping. Each with its own categories and definitions for said categories, and wildly varying rates. There are places where you can literally cross the street and pay a different tax rate on an identical item.

 

The US is pretty much the only place in the world where purchase taxes are added after the fact and not baked into the price.

 

Deliberately designing a more broken system would essentially require adding daily randomized tax rates.

Taxes won't be baked into the purchase price because each state might have its own sales tax. Florida, where I live, the sales tax is 7 cents per dollar. Some states (Alaska being one) where stuff there is just generally higher priced than the rest of the country. AFAIK, counties/parishes don't have their own sales tax. They do have tax programs that are voted on by county/parish residents. If you're crossing the street and paying a different tax, you by chance crossing a state line? Also, not everything purchased electronically is subject to sales tax. I've yet to be charged any taxes for any purchases I've made on my Xbox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Getting wildly OT, btw., but...

7 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Taxes won't be baked into the purchase price because each state might have its own sales tax.

Why does that prevent the taxes being baked into the price, actually?

I mean, we have had computers at the cashier for like, maybe 50 years in anything but the smallest shops out there, and even in every booth/kiosk selling you can find for around 30 years (or more). Baking the tax into the price should be trivial, even without some calculator, as the shop already knows the tax rate (despite calculating it might be complicated) and needs to bake it in the final total anyways. The US system just seems confusing for a consumer (coming from someone outside the US).

One reason for the current system (I can think of) is a political play; someone (against these taxes) wanted it to stand out for the customer and wanted the taxes being rubbed into the face of the customer every time they buy something; it is like "this is how much the stuff you bought actually costs, but because of trade taxes you pay this much more"!


(as a sidenote: where I live, the VAT is displayed separately at the receipt; however, the price displayed at the store next to any item is the total price including any taxes).

Edited by WildPenguin82
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
17 hours ago, GrazeZeroLow said:


The problem is, that DE never taxed us on Prime Access before. I was charged the $139, but my sister got the $8 taxed on. 

We both use paypal and live in PA, so it seems extremely unfair that she's taxed and I'm not.

Have a proper look at the invoices you both received. I purchased the accessories. I paid tax on it, you should have too. But my tax is not additional to the $49.99, it is included in it. That is likely going to be the same as everyone else.

 

I cannot speak for any weird tax rules in USA, but the only invoices I have seen (no US) have the tax included in the purchase price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, WildPenguin82 said:

Getting wildly OT, btw., but...

Why does that prevent the taxes being baked into the price, actually?

I mean, we have had computers at the cashier for like, maybe 50 years in anything but the smallest shops out there, and even in every booth/kiosk selling you can find for around 30 years (or more). Baking the tax into the price should be trivial, even without some calculator, as the shop already knows the tax rate (despite calculating it might be complicated) and needs to bake it in the final total anyways. The US system just seems confusing for a consumer (coming from someone outside the US).

One reason for the current system (I can think of) is a political play; someone (against these taxes) wanted it to stand out for the customer and wanted the taxes being rubbed into the face of the customer every time they buy something; it is like "this is how much the stuff you bought actually costs, but because of trade taxes you pay this much more"!


(as a sidenote: where I live, the VAT is displayed separately at the receipt; however, the price displayed at the store next to any item is the total price including any taxes).

Not every item in a store gets charged sales taxes, there are some exemptions (I think mainly around food items). The tax (IMO) wouldn't actually work being baked in because stores have different prices from each other. All stores would have to reprogram their devices to account for any taxes added. Stores don't want to have to deal with that. The current system we have isn't political, sales taxes are decided by the state because those taxes are used by the state for its numerous programs. Road construction and repairs are funded by taxes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
15 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Not every item in a store gets charged sales taxes, there are some exemptions (I think mainly around food items). The tax (IMO) wouldn't actually work being baked in because stores have different prices from each other. All stores would have to reprogram their devices to account for any taxes added. Stores don't want to have to deal with that.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get it. Re-quoting myself (emphasis added):

19 hours ago, WildPenguin82 said:

Baking the tax into the price should be trivial, even without some calculator, as the shop already knows the tax rate (despite calculating it might be complicated) and needs to bake it in the final total anyways.

I.e.: they still calculate and know the tax when the customer pays. Why don't they calculate it into the price displayed at the shelf? Or does the choices the customer make inside the shop somehow affect the price (including taxes) of any single item?

15 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

The current system we have isn't political, sales taxes are decided by the state because those taxes are used by the state for its numerous programs. Road construction and repairs are funded by taxes.

I didn't mean the taxes per se, but the way they are handled (the price at the self is not the same as the final price customer needs to pay).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...