Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should other Warframes besides Gauss be able to run on water? (Open World)

Zahnny

This is just a bit of a personal thought I've had for a while now, wanting to post about it but not bothering to until now.

The most obvious example people will probably say, due to the rivalry with Gauss is Volt. Not that I disagree with it.

But should all Warframes, regardless, be able to sprint across water if they are above a certain sprint speed threshold? Regardless if that's base Sprint Speed, or assisted via abilities?

Personally, one of my main frames is Nezha, in which I own two Nezha P's for different forma polarity loadouts.

Out of those two, the one I like using for more casual play is a heavy Duration and Sprint Speed build (Yeah I know most people say use Slide mods, but I find it uncontrollable and more like playing Gauss using slide mods, so I use Sprint Speed instead.) Combined with Fire Walker, with an innate 25% sprint buff, that cannot be affected by power strength. (Infested Mobility is also added because why not.)

This results in me having a rather fast Nezha capable of running at incredibly high speeds which often leaves me wondering. If I'm going this fast already, why can't I just run across water like Gauss? Nezha and Volt are the two most immediate frames I can think of who would benefit from this, besides Gauss himself. But I think it'd be a shame if it was locked behind a few specific abilities. Why not, if a frame can reach a threshold, whether that's base sprint, or augmented by an ally Volt, should they not be able to run on water too? It was a cool concept for Gauss, but it's kind of just a gimmick. One I see no harm in being shared to other frames. He'd just have the easiest time pulling it off.

IMO neither Nezha or Volt make sense for running on water. Volt is charged with electricity and electricity+water is a bad mix. Similarly Nezha's fire would be put out by the water.

Nezha's Firewalker being subsumable would also lead to all frames being able to run on water with it which sort of undermines the uniqueness of Gauss having this as part of his kit. Not to mention Gauss runs significantly faster than Nezha/Volt so it makes the most sense that he is able to run on water and they are not. 

50 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

IMO neither Nezha or Volt make sense for running on water. Volt is charged with electricity and electricity+water is a bad mix. Similarly Nezha's fire would be put out by the water.

Nezha's Firewalker being subsumable would also lead to all frames being able to run on water with it which sort of undermines the uniqueness of Gauss having this as part of his kit. Not to mention Gauss runs significantly faster than Nezha/Volt so it makes the most sense that he is able to run on water and they are not. 

I guess, but I can imagine someone has probably made a slow Gauss Mach Rush build.

Just now, Zahnny said:

I guess, but I can imagine someone has probably made a slow Gauss Mach Rush build.

You're thinking about the abilities after modification though. By default Mach Rush is a fast movement ability and is faster than the frames you mentioned. This is how the ability was designed. Modding for/against the speed of your warframe should not change whether or not that frame is able to walk on water IMO.

Fair. It's why I wanted to think about it more along the lines of ascending past a certain speed would allow it, and if you went below it while on water you'd just sink.

Granted, K-Drives already allow for all warframes to go over water anyway, true abilities are locked but you still have access to secondaries. I just personally can't see it causing too much problems, and if you lost your speed, it'd only be a hinderance. So Gauss would still be the best.

Wisp and Titania, since they are supposed to float in the first place. Hydroid maybe should too, or at least be able to extend Tidal surge's duration when connecting with a body of water.

There's no real advantage to it, but it would be a nice attention to detail and give something unique to more frames.

While not quite running on water, I think it would be pretty neat if water jumping was added as a general parkour thing.

It wouldn't have to be easy or convenient, but it would reset your bullet jump and double jump, allowing anyone who's careful enough to cross any body of water or even fight above/on it.

3 hours ago, Deminisis said:

Wisp and Titania, since they are supposed to float in the first place. Hydroid maybe should too, or at least be able to extend Tidal surge's duration when connecting with a body of water.

There's no real advantage to it, but it would be a nice attention to detail and give something unique to more frames.

Hydroid should be able to swim in water.

4 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

[spit-take]

WAIT, GAUSS CAN RUN ON WATER!?!

You didn't know this? Funny, DE showed this at Tennocon 2019.

The two frames that more come to my mind of having movement on water/coolant are Hydroid and Frost. Hydroid is a water pirate. Frost can copy the move of every other ice superhero out there by spraying ice in front of him.

I think all frames that can reach a certain sprint speed (5? 6?) should be able to run on water.

Wisp and titania (and any other floaty frames coming up) should just have it as a passive.

Hydroid should be able to just turn into a tidal wave and move in any body of water.

Frost could have a unique interaction where he freezes the water and walks over it.

Yeah , I got that from genshin impact.

8 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

While not quite running on water, I think it would be pretty neat if water jumping was added as a general parkour thing.

It wouldn't have to be easy or convenient, but it would reset your bullet jump and double jump, allowing anyone who's careful enough to cross any body of water or even fight above/on it.

That would be amazing. I'd love to be able to use the water to try and get further, as long as failing is still a possibility, but would probably need the lower the reset position for water so it doesn't reset you so easily. Would be pretty fun skipping myself along the water.

Archived