We need more options.

CraftMine4

I feel like this needs to be pointed out.

So one of my friends, username Azileo, has had to play the game with his HUD scale at 250. Why? Well, he is blind in one eye, born that way, and has to use medications to keep the other eye from going blind.

I recently played with him, and he kept saying that due to the game's lighting style, he couldn't see the enemy's models. He could see their health bars just fine, he couldn't see the enemies themselves since they blended so well with the background. May I also point out that he has had this game since it first came out 8 years ago, and has only completed the very first mission now, due to this problem?

So look, there needs to be a setting that outlines enemies, setting them apart the environment, maybe making the thickness adjustable, so you can better tell an enemy apart from the environment.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CraftMine4 said:

So one of my friends, username Azileo, has had to play the game with his HUD scale at 250. Why? Well, he is blind in one eye, born that way, and has to use medications to keep the other eye from going blind.

I recently played with him, and he kept saying that due to the game's lighting style, he couldn't see the enemy's models. He could see their health bars just fine, he couldn't see the enemies themselves since they blended so well with the background. May I also point out that he has had this game since it first came out 8 years ago, and has only completed the very first mission now, due to this problem?

So look, there needs to be a setting that outlines enemies, setting them apart the environment, maybe making the thickness adjustable, so you can better tell an enemy apart from the environment.

How about he maybe try to change some of these options? I know they are not meant for him but maybe they would help him somehow?

IKOvA2D.png

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your friend, but I'm not sure if I'd be enabling a vision compromised person to stress his eye further just to play a game.

How about a game of D&D? Or some audio books. I could tell you like 20 ways to adapt around seeing enemies, but there's a myriad of other problems behind that, and I don't think your friend will be better off finding the solution. 

Edited by BahamutKaiser
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, BahamutKaiser said:

I'm sorry for your friend, but I'm not sure if I'd be enabling a vision compromised person to stress his eye further just to play a game.

How about a game of D&D? Or some audio books. I could tell you like 20 ways to adapt around seeing enemies, but there's a myriad of other problems behind that, and I don't think your friend will be better off finding the solution. 

This is just plain ignorant. As if maintaining minimal options for the vision impaired is "enabling" them. They're not a drug addict ffs.

As OP said, their friend isn't fully blind, (and actually when I adminned/programmed for a MUD, we had blind players who used screen readers, but obv that wouldn't work with Warframe.) Are you their optometrist? Do you actually know what will and won't mess with their eyesight?

Honestly the whole post makes me salty. Why would you even type that and not think better of it before clicking submit reply?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Wouldn't that get really confusing for a horde shooter, you are dealing with a very large amount of enemies often times, so those outlines would all just blend together, no?

It most likely would, though at least you'd know to shoot at the area that is highlighted blur and keep on shooting until it's not there. :wink:

BVZwR.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CraftMine4 said:

Does changing the contrast help them in any way? I've known people with similar issues in other games who could make the game more visible for them by adjusting contrast. It made the game look kinda bad (for me with pretty good vision) but it was the only way they could play (I think they put the contrast up really high and put up the brightness, as well as changing their monitor settings as well as in game). 

Fiddling with the contrast/brightness or the colourblind options may be the only option for now, at least until/if DE recognise this as an issue and try to make specific settings for it. 

I'm all for more accessibility for people with disabilities, I have some difficulty here and there with particular things that I wont get into here, but I can sympathise with your friend and other people struggling to play games due to their health. But, I feel there needs to be a consideration of balance for the non disabled, as sometimes assistance for the disabled can result in unfair advantages for those without the disability. If there are no balance problems from highlighting enemies I'm all for this or something similar being added. (in a pvp game I would find it far easier to kill a highlighted player and would see it as an unfair advantage, this being a mostly pve game would be a bit different, but would more depend on the developers intention with the games design and whether they're trying to make it hard to see enemies for particular reasons, like if an enemy has camo to blend in intentionally)

21 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

It most likely would, though at least you'd know to shoot at the area that is highlighted blur and keep on shooting until it's not there. :wink:

BVZwR.gif

rofl true. There has to be a more elegant way to solve the problem. Or maybe it would work, I would have to see some sort of example to know. But I certainly support some sort of option to help

1 minute ago, NecroPed said:

(in a pvp game I would find it far easier to kill a highlighted player and would see it as an unfair advantage, this being a mostly pve game would be a bit different, but would more depend on the developers intention with the games design and whether they're trying to make it hard to see enemies for particular reasons, like if an enemy has camo to blend in intentionally)

Wow yea that would be nasty in Conclave. However, presumably it wouldn't apply to players. Only to enemy NPCs

• Like 1

since he can't see that well, couldn't he just rush in with melee? give him a Heavy Blade or Polearm, something that can do long sweeping attacks and just let him go ham on enemies in each room. shooting requires having decent eyesight, whereas melee is just spamming a button, so it should be far less troublesome. melee is technically better in most scenarios anyhow.

if it were me, I'd take a Nikana with Blind Justice and become the Zatoichi of warframe lol. 

I would recommend posting this in the Feedback section if you want the developers to see it.  They have already implemented a good deal of accessibility options, and I'm guessing that if they were aware of this problem (and haven't already implemented a solution for it, I haven't checked) they would be amenable on working towards a solution.

• Like 3

This game can be very obnoxious on some graphic effect like Void Storm. I don't have any disability but even I can't see enemy with all the flashing going on.

Some of the settings I change: lower ability intensity to 20%, use black/red for energy color, turn off damage/affinity number, bloom, some reflection, lower particle effect etc. Also try to keep framerate 120+ for smoother gameplay.

The difference between default graphic and custom setting are huge. Could see enemies much easier, especially when trying to headshot.

15 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

I'd say your friend would like this effect for all enemies in the colour of their choosing, equipped Argonak for screenshot purposes.

I really wish we had this feature available through other means than just the Argonak, Voidrig 4, and that weird Kavat mod.  Warframe is the most visually incoherent game I have ever played, which is why I'm finding myself becoming a bramma spamma.  I can just aim with the minimap.

13 hours ago, BahamutKaiser said:

What a ridiculous thing to say. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Wow yea that would be nasty in Conclave. However, presumably it wouldn't apply to players. Only to enemy NPCs

I haven't played Conclave in a while now, but from what I recall, enemies in Conclave do have outlines. I think it's related to radar visibility (so it only shows up if you'd appear on the radar, e.g. from firing a loud weapon).

Then again it's not like Conclave is all that balanced what with PvE bleed-overs cropping up again and again, like the fall-off bug giving Tigris it's full PvE damage values.

4 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

I really wish we had this feature available through other means than just the Argonak, Voidrig 4, and that weird Kavat mod.  Warframe is the most visually incoherent game I have ever played, which is why I'm finding myself becoming a bramma spamma.  I can just aim with the minimap.

Hell even I have trouble seeing enemies at times, they blend in well if the lighting suits their skin.

7 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

I haven't played Conclave in a while now, but from what I recall, enemies in Conclave do have outlines. I think it's related to radar visibility (so it only shows up if you'd appear on the radar, e.g. from firing a loud weapon).

Then again it's not like Conclave is all that balanced what with PvE bleed-overs cropping up again and again, like the fall-off bug giving Tigris it's full PvE damage values.

you might be right, but yea only when they do something that puts them on the minimap. I can't remember and I have been avoiding Warframe currently due to some burn out.

• Like 2