Kuva Lich is what made me leave the game. - An old player's statement

Lupin

I've been a great fan of Warframe since 2013. I have participated in almost every event counting from Fusion Moa, Informant, Sling-Stone and others till Scarlet Spear, during that time I've got my hands on great deals like rare weapons and stuff that are no longer available. After grinding and upgrading my stuff for years I felt completed at some point and I've focused on enjoying the small things like playing the game more casually to ease my mind before bed. I feel nostalgic thinking about the great time I've spent in this game, met so many people and made friends with and every time I have shown up back online I knew there always was something to do. However when the Kuva Lich thing arrived in with its update, I wish I haven't killed this damn larvling as it made my gameplay so hard to deal with afterwards. I wasn't bothered to deal with my Lich at the best time (because it doesn't really interest me to farm stuff and fight it back) so it leveled up to 5. When I hear its voice whenever I launch the game or finish a mission it drives me insane. And why the hell am I forced to fight it if I don't want to? It's taking up my resources and therefore  forces me to grind only to get its weapon or cosmetics but you know what, I already have great weapons. One particular has a 5 years old build that's still revelant at the end game. This is what made me quit the game.

Edited by Lupin

3 minutes ago, Lupin said:

I wasn't bothered to deal with my Kuva at the best time (because it doesn't really interest me to farm stuff and fight it back) so it leveled up to 5

I am really confused. You have to pick the Kuva Lich mission to upgrade it, and you have to do enough of them for the Lich to spawn. Why were you doing this if you had no interest in it? It sounds like you should already know some of the requiems for it, just farm or buy them and kill the Lich.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I am really confused. You have to pick the Kuva Lich mission to upgrade it, and you have to do enough of them for the Lich to spawn. Why were you doing this if you had no interest in it? It sounds like you should already know some of the requiems for it, just farm or buy them and kill the Lich.

It was a new thing so yes I was leveling up the Lich thinking that apparently it's a good thing to do 😂

No, I'd want to dissmiss it at last because playing should be fun, not forced.

Edited by Lupin

2 minutes ago, Lupin said:

There is currently no way to dismiss them, it doesn't sound like there will be anytime soon either. I guess I have trouble understanding quitting the game over this - if you are properly geared you can beat it easily, is it really worth giving up on the game over something so simple?

• Like 5

You only really interact with the Lich when you specifically choose nodes that it owns and also select the Lich permutation on that node; it's not going to show up randomly.

14 minutes ago, Lupin said:

It was a new thing so yes I was leveling up the Lich thinking that apparently it's a good thing to do 😂

Having a Lich at all is completely opt-in; you can't have one accidentally. Then, even when you have one, you never have to interact with it.

...which makes it hard for me to understand how you feel "forced" to select specific mission permutations that are only for the express purpose of fighting your Lich.

Edited by Knight3169
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Knight3169 said:

Having a Lich at all is completely opt-in; you can't have one accidentally.

If memory serves, when they were hot off the presses, you could get a Lich by simply killing the Larvling, no Parazon required. I could be wrong.

With how things go now, it's not a huge deal to dispatch a Lich. You do you, but I'd dispatch and sell the weapon for creds and get back to what I enjoy about the game. The new iteration is 100% opt-in, so you can just ignore the Larvlings and Corpus Candidates once you do this one.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Lupin said:

I've been a great fan of Warframe since 2013. I have participated in almost every event counting from Fusion Moa, Informant, Sling-Stone and others till Scarlet Spear, during that time I've got my hands on great deals like rare weapons and stuff that are no longer available. After grinding and upgrading my stuff for years I felt completed at some point and I've focused on enjoying the small things like playing the game more casually to ease my mind before bed. I feel nostalgic thinking about the great time I've spent in this game, met so many people and made friends with and every time I have shown up back online I knew there always was something to do. However when the Kuva Lich thing arrived in with its update, I wish I haven't killed this damn larvling as it made my gameplay so hard to deal with afterwards. I wasn't bothered to deal with my Lich at the best time (because it doesn't really interest me to farm stuff and fight it back) so it leveled up to 5. When I hear its voice whenever I launch the game or finish a mission it drives me insane. And why the hell am I forced to fight it if I don't want to? It's taking up my resources and therefore  forces me to grind only to get its weapon or cosmetics but you know what, I already have great weapons. One particular has a 5 years old build that's still revelant at the end game. This is what made me quit the game.

Well first thing first, this is actually hard to do. 

The entire game is basically farm, get strong, farm good weapons, 1 shot everything. Kuva Liches actually provide a bit more challenge into the game. The resource stealing thing makes sense, but yes, having to listen to stuff like “You are mine little meat” every time I preview a lich controlled planet, it just drives you mad. 

Though, it is very annoying, when you run a 2 hour arbitration Defense on earth, and then lose so much of what you farmed, and having to spend 3 days farming requiem relics, another few days farming the mods, another few hours determining the right sequence, enraging your lich over and over again, and getting a op kill squad so the lich doesn’t step on you every time he/she spawns. (My lich had a Kuva Zarr and every time she spawned, Yeeted herself into the air and stomped my warframe in half in 1 second before I knew what happened.) 

Another thing is, most players (like myself) who are new, have absolutely no idea what they are getting into when they mercy that larvling. When I was a newbie with a regular Nekros, bad mods, a unpotatoed baza and a ether reaper, I regretted killing that larvling. The weapon was a Kuva shildeg, and I am terrible at hammers and heavy blades, and had no idea what happened when I killed the larvling. Since I was extremely unprepared, when I saw that new node and “Cigg Egg Rises” popped up on my screen, I was so confused, then saw a red planet, then tried that new node called “Cigg egg controlled territory “. I died, so fast. I was shredded by the thralls and I could barely kill a single enemy, and I don’t even like hammers, so when I actually found out what I did, I tried so hard to cancel, searched up “HOW TO CANCEL LICH” in 100 different variations, but then I just had to go begging warframe veterans to help me. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

If memory serves, when they were hot off the presses, you could get a Lich by simply killing the Larvling, no Parazon required. I could be wrong.

Yeah, for the first 6 days. But by the time someone's far enough into the game to be able to make a Lich, they are almost certainly aware that new major additions are a bit whacky for the first week or so.

• Like 3

Indeed, if you're having trouble with them, just get a group, kill them, and never stab another larva or candidate again. Since everyone's lich or sister is on the same railjack mission now, it'll be easy to get a pub group so you have help to finish them off.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

why are people quitting over opt-in subsystems? I go months without even remembering liches and here we have people engaging with them who don't want to?

Lol yeah Ive had a lich waiting for his turn for months now and hes kinda like Ordis to me at this point, not even hearing his babble. But then again Ive also vanguished a lot of his brothers by now. 

But I must admit DE shouldve made the first lich much harder to get with obvious information about what you are getting into. Even a press and hold button with a print "spawn lich" tells nothing to a casual player who doesnt spent time googling everything. I knew what it was because I read update news details a lot but not everyone does that. 

Bruh, this just sounds like you don't like the game anymore. Getting rid of it at the point you describe should take less than an hour you lazy bum. You getting put off the entire game due to less than an hour of required time (that you technically voluntarily entered into) is indicative of grievances of far greater magnitude than the one you are setting forth.

Boo hoo, there's a system that doesn't instantaneously fold over or go away the nanosecond you don't like it. This just sounds like anger induced irrationality.

Okay sure, I get that DE should probably make the first lich you get attached to a quest so new players know what you're getting into. But being from 2013, you should know that not doing your research is effectively "proceed at your own risk". Like, sure, DE should make systems less hostile, but that's the past, current, and future reality of Warframe.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Lupin said:

That makes sense … “you need a break”. I have invested thousands of hours in game and I am not a fan of Kuva Lich system because it will take at least hundreds of hours of hard grind to farm and MAX each and every Kuva weapons. So I have SKIPPED MOST OF IT and doing something else currently. There is nothing wrong if you don’t like a system, just ignore it or wait until it gets easily to complete after future updates. 

22 hours ago, Lupin said:

dude its the forma, the endless forma. each kuva / sister weapon costs 5 forma. paracesis 5, the voidrigs 5. it takes way too much forma.

• Like 1

On 2021-09-12 at 4:39 AM, Rawbeard said:

why are people quitting over opt-in subsystems?

yes, it is an opt-in subsystem

BUT, like almost every other aspect of this game, the details of what you're opting into  aren't explained in the game. I swear that I spend more time in forums, wiki's, twitch, youtube, and google searches than I spend in missions. I can't think of any other game that requires as much research. It's almost like work, just to figure out what the developers wanted us to do in each new mission or quest.

Like player 'xombob89' said above, I'm ignoring my lich much like I ignore Ordis. The resource drain is not that big of a deal. Seriously, how difficult would it be to give players the option to cancel a lich?

9 hours ago, (PSN)Tomplexthis said:

dude its the forma, the endless forma. each kuva / sister weapon costs 5 forma. paracesis 5, the voidrigs 5. it takes way too much forma.

Exactly, and every forma takes 24 hrs…

27 minutes ago, Lotus-123 said:

yes, it is an opt-in subsystem

BUT, like almost every other aspect of this game, the details of what you're opting into  aren't explained in the game. I swear that I spend more time in forums, wiki's, twitch, youtube, and google searches than I spend in missions. I can't think of any other game that requires as much research. It's almost like work, just to figure out what the developers wanted us to do in each new mission or quest.

Like player 'xombob89' said above, I'm ignoring my lich much like I ignore Ordis. The resource drain is not that big of a deal. Seriously, how difficult would it be to give players the option to cancel a lich?

Could be abused to spam until you get a right weapon… maybe a larvling cool down if you decide to cancel, like a 12-24 hr cool down from getting another lich? That seems fair. 

I spent most of this game googling “HOW TO” “WHERE IS” “WHY DOES “CAN I” or asking questions instead of actually playing, and like so many people before me have said, most content is extremely underexplained.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lotus-123 said:

So you have no sense of discovery and figuring things out on your own? Some of us like a little bit of that. Games that hold your hand every tiny little step of the way aren't fun to me. Plus a lot more things are explained or have hints to bring attention to them than most people give credit. Lots of players just don't click on stuff and read or pay attention to visual and audio clues the devs put in the game.

If you don't want to give things a try, then that's fine. Read the patch notes or wait on new stuff you've never seen before until the wiki or some video guide spells it out for you.

Edited by Hobie-wan
  • Like 2

On 2021-09-12 at 12:34 AM, Lupin said:

You don't have the quit the Whole game. Just the Lich parts.

just don't play any Lich Influenced Nodes.

its even easier to ignore nowadays that they've changed the system to keep him isolated to just 1 planet (they used to spread to multiples and stay red)

On 2021-09-13 at 7:54 AM, (PSN)Tomplexthis said:

You don't really have to forma everything to the max.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (PSN)Tomplexthis said:

mastery completion. per each weapon adds 2 ranks per forma.

That doesn't change the fact that you don't have [not required] to do it.

Most of the player base doesn't chase after Mastery Rank, which is why any MR restrictions are at the low end and cap at the mid range. The introduction of forma sinks tied to forma had been spread out enough that anyone playing the game would amass an excess in forma anyways.

If chasing MR mattered, I would have to say the weapons designed poorly [intentionally], and then locked behind a grind that is far worse than 5 formas, would be a bigger problem. This extends even to edge cases like standard Equinox, where the time it takes to get her is going to surpass the time it takes to get 5x forma, and the plat cost is higher than 5x forma.

• Like 1