Warframe for the disabled?

(XBOX)Ancient Mutt

A friend of mine has only one hand and wants to play Warframe on the Xbox. 

I'm thinking about hardware and then wondered about actual Warframes and disabilities.

1) Are there any disability-friendly Warframes with easily cast abilities? I ask because I'm not physically disabled and it's never occurred to me before.

2) What hardware is available to assist people? I've only ever seen the single big buttons but I'm still wondering how it can be done. 

3) What techniques could be learned to master things like bullet jumping and snap shots?

Not sure what else to consider, suggestions to pass on would be welcome.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, (XBOX)General Poke said:

I'm thinking about hardware and then wondered about actual Warframes and disabilities.

1) Are there any disability-friendly Warframes with easily cast abilities? I ask because I'm not physically disabled and it's never occurred to me before.

2) What hardware is available to assist people? I've only ever seen the single big buttons but I'm still wondering how it can be done. 

3) What techniques could be learned to master things like bullet jumping and snap shots?

I've heard a lot of people with physical disabilities using Mesa a lot (for a think relatively obvious reasons), there are way more tricks out there though. 

• Like 2

First thought was the MS adaptive controller shown above, second was a belkin n52 speedpad but that doesn't seem to be available anymore.  However Razer does the tartarus v2 (there's also orbweaver which is basically the same but mechanical keys if you can find it).  This is designed for the left hand though (not sure which hand you need) and I'm not sure of support on xbox although a reddit thread seems to say it does work. 

Ben heck has done a single handed xbox controller but not sure if they're commercially available. (edit) seems they are available, but seriously expensive

link(/edit)

As to frames, Inaros, Rhino, Hildryn, basically I'm thinking more tanky frames to allow more time to do other things.

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, (XBOX)General Poke said:

I would suggest he switches from Xbox to PC.... Atleast on that platform he will have access to Steam Input.... It will make playing with one hand WAAAAAAAAY more viable !!  

I don't know if you can use a mouse on xbox, but that would be my best guess :

A mouse with a sheet ton of extra buttons. Would take some time to get used to, but with clever keybinding, it would be possible to access most if not all functionnalities with one hand.

The only issue is xbox, even if you can plug a mouse in, I would be surprised if you could set 15 keybinds on it like on pc. That said, I have elevated to the pc long ago, maybe it's possible nowadays.

• Like 1

Sorry can't really help with question 2 and 3 since I'm not familiar with them myself, but as for the frame that your friend can comfortably use to play the game and can be acquired fairly early on: Wukong/Prime. As you've probably known he has a convenient twin that you can spawn anytime you want within a press of a button, and the twin pretty much stays there forever with little to no micro-management. Equip a good primary weapon, activate his 1st ability, move to objective, and enjoy the carnage. 

Edited by AzureScion
  • Like 2

You should definitely check out AbleGamers; they are a non-profit organization whose entire goal is to be a resource so that disabled folks can play games.  This page on their website seems to be a great place to start, as it will guide you towards the specific tools and accommodations that are needed for the specific disability you're working with: https://ablegamers.freshdesk.com/support/home

I've heard nothing but great things about these folks, hope they can help!

• Like 5

Hmm... Missing ahand poses a challenging problem. High skill ceiling frames that require fast inputs are completely off the menu. Banshees, harrows, gauss, lavos... Do not even think of using those.

Good options for low-input gameplay with forgiving margin of error? I would say...

-Melee Inaros. Cast 1 ability, the rest of the game you move around and mash melee.

-Vauban. Press 4, safely avoid dying, hold 4, easily kill because enemies are grouped.

-Limbo. Very forgiving pacing, very low risk, built in panic button. Actually VERY useful if used correctly, abd offers an ebtertaining skill curve to progress through. Possibly my recommendation.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NovusKnight said:

Hmm... Missing ahand poses a challenging problem. High skill ceiling frames that require fast inputs are completely off the menu.

Are they ? His friend is Missing a Hand... Not The Ability to Act or React Quickly... I would say You can still do fast Inputs just fine one handed... The real challenge would be Multi Tasking or anything that requires performing actions Simultaneously...

15 minutes ago, NovusKnight said:

Banshees, harrows, gauss, lavos... Do not even think of using those.

This is going to depend on the Platform but I reckon you can play Harrow just fine with one Hand.... Gauss on the other hand will be Abit more challenging since you need to switch between using his abilities and your weapons regularly and quickly....

Pulling off Techniques like Slide Gliding would be tricky to do with one hand but they aren't all that necessary and I reckon one could find a way to do it anyway....tricky as it may be...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Are they ? His friend is Missing a Hand... Not The Ability to Act or React Quickly... I would say You can still do fast Inputs just fine one handed... The real challenge would be Multi Tasking or anything that requires performing actions Simultaneously...

This is going to depend on the Platform but I reckon you can play Harrow just fine with one Hand.... Gauss on the other hand will be Abit more challenging since you need to switch between using his abilities and your weapons regularly and quickly....

Pulling off Techniques like Slide Gliding would be tricky to do with one hand but they aren't all that necessary and I reckon one could find a way to do it anyway....tricky as it may be...

I am not questioning the dexterity, i am referring indeed to multitasking. The frames I mentioned cannot be played optimally with slow input speeds. Gauss, you have to precisely cast abilities on the move and react quickly in both camera and movenent input to make the most of him. Lavos, you optimally should be inputting two ability casts (element infuse) *during* abilities that are being cast... While also moving. Harrow, you get gimmicky abilities and headshot requirements on top of the need to constantly dodge and evade. Banshee literally requires near instant prefiring and cornershots to not die, and to that you add aiming at unusual weakspots.

7 minutes ago, NovusKnight said:

I am not questioning the dexterity, i am referring indeed to multitasking. The frames I mentioned cannot be played optimally with slow input speeds. Gauss, you have to precisely cast abilities on the move and react quickly in both camera and movenent input to make the most of him. Lavos, you optimally should be inputting two ability casts (element infuse) *during* abilities that are being cast... While also moving.

I agree with this...

7 minutes ago, NovusKnight said:

Harrow, you get gimmicky abilities and headshot requirements on top of the need to constantly dodge and evade. Banshee literally requires near instant prefiring and cornershots to not die, and to that you add aiming at unusual weakspots.

I disagree with this....

I don't think Precision is going to be a problem for one handed Gamers.... Ofcourse that depends on which hand they still have but for the most part they should be just as Precise as Two Handers.... Who knows... Maybe they could be more Precise 😱 !!!

I rarely Dodge or Evade with Harrow.... As long as you can Chain enemies Up then it's really not all that Unnecessary.... Unless if you mean dodging while Charging his Thurible... Since he can't attack anything while doing that I'm pretty sure you can do that with one Hand... On PC... I have no clue if that's practical to do on Console 😱.... 

Hey there, I'm a disabled Tenno and there's definitely options for your friend! For some context, my situation is that I've got a chronic pain condition and it specifically messes up my hands with pain and weakness. I used to play with a regular XBOX controller on PC, switched to mouse+keyboard when my last flare up hit, rebound my keys to the nth degree, and finally switched to a combo of voice control and mouse for input. It's a little bit jank but lets me play again!

Were I him, the first thing I'd consider though is how important playing on XBOX is. There's plenty of options for making play on either XBOX or PC more accessible, but accessible controllers are quite expensive (starting at $100USD before personalized accessibility add-ons). He may find a solution that works for him on PC for a more affordable entry price due to access to software options. Accessible controllers like the one-handed XBOX controller or the XAC that others here have mentioned will work on both platforms and so might be beneficial either way. And with cross-play being worked on, you'll get to play together at some indeterminate point anyways if he does go the PC route.

In terms of your specific questions:

I agree with others that in general, frames with higher durability and less reliance on their abilities will likely be the most straightforward to manage, but that he shouldn't rule out trying other frames in the long term! As a starter frame, I'd recommend going for Excalibur to simplify the experience of juggling new assistive tech while learning the game.

Definitely available for XBOX, also work on PC:

One-handed controllers: These are usually regular console controllers that have modifications made to them to facilitate one-handed use. Evil Controllers offers lots of options and customization, and will be able to consult with your friend as per this page on their website if he needs help figuring out what will work best for him

XBOX Adapative Controller (XAC): the XAC is an XBOX and Windows 10 compatible controller and input hub. The XAC has two large input buttons, a directional arrow pad, and menu buttons on it, and then you can additionally plug in input accessories like buttons, switches, joysticks, etc., and then position them in an array according to your accessibility needs in order to use. The input devices can all be custom mapped using software for the XAC on XBOX and PC. As many or as few input devices as needed/desired can be used. Lots of people use the XAC in combination with other inputs like a mouse, voice activation, or head-tracking. The XAC also apparently can "co-pilot" with a regular XBOX controller- though I'm unclear if it needs to be wireless/bluetooth enabled or if it can be wired.

This could be a good option for your friend: for example, if he has some function in the arm without a hand, he could use the XAC to connect a joystick or potentially a trackball to use for movement/directional input while using a regular controller he may already own placed flat on a surface so his hand could access all the usual buttons, or with a gaming mouse with lots of mappable buttons. Another use case I could see is using the two large buttons on the XAC as inputs for crouching and aiming (either using hold or toggle depending on what's easier for him), so that these could be pressed with the end of his arm while he holds a standard controller in his hand in order to facilitate sliding, slide attacks, bullet jumps, and aim glides. The XAC can also be mounted on a variety of stands so it could be elevated to where he needs it. If neither of these ideas would be relevant to him, there's tonnes of other ways the XAC can be set up. Biggest downside IMO is that it's $100USD for the base unit, all other input devices and mounts are sold separately, and it could take some trial and error to find the best options.

Maybe available for XBOX, definitely for PC:

Joysticks, trackballs, and mice with lots of buttons: These have the benefit of typically being more affordable as they aren't explicitly accessibility devices (ie this Logitech joystick is only about $40USD). A joystick especially would be a great one-handed option with tonnes of buttons usually available. Some trackballs also have many programmable buttons, but might function best as an input to be used by another limb while he uses a mouse with his hand. Downsides to this type of option is that they're not explicitly accessibility options (for example, I can't use a joystick because keeping my arm elevated and grasping the stick would be no-go's for me), and they also seem to be sort of love 'em or hate 'em type accessories.

Other hardware options: Other options are available for controls, such as foot pedals, head-tracking mice and switches, and mouth-operated controls. These might not be applicable to your buddy's needs, but good to know the options. Some examples: link, link, link.

Software solutions available on PC:

Macros are super helpful for accessibility needs, specifically for inputs that require multiple button presses simultaneously or sequentially. However, you want to be careful with your usage as there are no programs approved of by DE for macro usage, even for accessibility. See this post from a few years ago for the official stance.
In general, avoid the use of software such as AutoHotKey and CheatEngine that are often used for uh, cheating, and refrain from creating macros that remove the need for player interaction with the game. I also make sure I'm not setting things up in such a way as to send inputs that would not usually be recognized/possible in-game (ie making sure my command for backflip first releases the moving-forward key), and only have single inputs for attacks (ie no spamming melee/weapon fire or automating combos). Given that VoiceAttack is used by a streamer endorsed by DE, and the ways I make use of it, I feel comfortable with using the software.

Voice Attack: This is the program I've been using recently, after learning about it from wf partner AccessibleGamer on twitch. This is a macro program that can be controlled by voice commands (primarily how I use it), key presses, mouse input, and controller input. This program works on Windows, and the voice activation utilizes the offline Windows Speech Recognition engine (rather than the online-required Cortana and Dictation also bundled in with Windows 10- I was happy to learn this as I have those disabled). This does require the pc has Windows Speech Recognition in a language the user speaks fluently. If this is not available though, the program can be used without voice inputs. Voice Attack is also available through Steam.

I found it took some time to get it set up well, but have loved it ever since. Key press times, for example, might need to be fiddled with to get the best results in game. Best way to set this program up is to open your game in windowed mode, and configure VoiceAttack to run on top for ease while testing :)

Best part about Voice Attack, other than its highly customizable commands and inputs, is that there's a free trial that lets you create up to 20 commands. I found this to be enough to play the game functionally, but not enough to add extras like placing a marker or having gear wheel hotkeys. The trial version is definitely enough to give a sense of if it will be a good fit or not, and then upgrading to the full version with unlimited commands and profiles is only $10 USD.

The program can be downloaded off their website, and if your buddy has any questions, AccessibleGamer is super friendly and seems happy to answer questions during his streams.

Voice Bot: I haven't tried this program but it seems quite similar to VoiceAttack, with a slightly higher price for the full version but perhaps a few more features. Check it out here. Both of these programs can also be used to type through dictation and to launch programs/generally navigate your computer

So I think this would really depend on the hardware/software combos he ends up using. For example, could be that a simple key remapping works for him to be able to input everything one handed on a joystick or a controller. Could be a series of switches plugged into the XAC that he can press all at once with the side of his arm or with his foot. Could be a voice or button-activated macro in Voice Attack.

Finally, just wanted to share some other resources that might be useful:

a team of a number of different disabled streamers on twitch who use adaptive technology in different ways to play

a collection of articles from Able Gamers discussing adaptive tech for different gaming needs, including an in-depth section on the XAC and switches for it

https://caniplaythat.com/ a site that reviews tonnes of different games for their accessibility to different needs

A short (6 min) video on the basics of setting up VoiceAttack

and a nice lil article about voice control in a few different games- features some more accessible streamers/youtubers who specifically use voice control for accessibility

Hope that this post is helpful! As you can see, there's lots of options. He might want to end up making his decision on accessibility tech based on what other games he is interested in on what platforms too, especially if there's things he can think of that he presently finds inaccessible. I know this is a huge wall of text, lemme know if I can clarify anything! Cheers :)

• Like 4

On 2021-09-13 at 1:51 AM, (XBOX)General Poke said:

Wukong/Wukong Prime.
1st ability, Celestial Twin - helps with killing enemies.
2nd ability, Cloud Walker - helps with parkour stuff as well as a means of fast mobility (To speed up cloud, you can put sprint mods and mods for the duration)
Passive ability - avoid death 3 times, wich helps alot i think.

Just bind Cloud Walker to a convenient button and it will be quite comfortable to move, Celestial Twin - there is no need to keep bind at hand, since the clone is quite tanky.
It is also important to figure out a convenient weapon with which clone can effectively kill, but I think there are plenty of guides on this matter.

• Like 3

@BlushyStrawberryThank you so much for that reply, your time and effort hasn't gone unnoticed. It's a lot of feedback I'll have to shuttle across to my friend, but he's already excited about the possibility of a driving setup. There's a steering wheel and pedals which he's configured for a rally car game and enjoying immensely and waiting for a few bits to arrive in the mail. 

You and others here were right about remapping a few things to pedals... he's remapped Rhino's fourth ability to right pedal, and they're big chunky pedals. Imagine the gleeful joy every time he gets full energy. ;)

The Voice idea is a new one, we aren't sure how to do Voice commands through the Xbox without Cortana getting involved but it's something we're researching now that you mentioned it. 

As for pc Vs console, it's a matter of money. He got an Xbox as a gift and getting a decent PC with proper graphics card is hard to acquire and prohibitively expensive for him at the moment with a pricetag of £2000 (those ecoin data miners are still hogging hardware over here). I know, the are cheaper options but he wants something Decent if he's going to buy one at all. When things calm down a bit, he'll look into it.

Thanks again, a lot to digest but definitely passed on and listened to!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Ah that is so so great to hear! I'm not on the forums too often so I just saw your last post there. Hope your friend is still enjoying the game, the pedal setup sounds soooo satisfying! In the voice program I use, I've mapped abilities 1-4 as gemstone names and I just LOVE feeling like I'm casting sweet spells directly!

Totally fair about the choice of platform, and glad to hear that the options available on xbox were helping out so far. Out of curiosity, did you learn anything further about possibilities for voice control on xbox?

• Like 2

On 2021-11-28 at 1:44 AM, BlushyStrawberry said:

Ah that is so so great to hear! I'm not on the forums too often so I just saw your last post there. Hope your friend is still enjoying the game, the pedal setup sounds soooo satisfying! In the voice program I use, I've mapped abilities 1-4 as gemstone names and I just LOVE feeling like I'm casting sweet spells directly!

Totally fair about the choice of platform, and glad to hear that the options available on xbox were helping out so far. Out of curiosity, did you learn anything further about possibilities for voice control on xbox?

Sadly not. The Xbox voice software seems a bit too stupid, lengthy to set up and stressful to go through. He just wants to play and the setup was ongoing while failing. We gave up on voice. For now, he's happy with the wheel. Archwing got harder to control recently. Button A used to make the archwing hover upwards but that's gone now, and Railjack had a micro-warp that seems to be gone now too. He's having to get used to what's usually a small change, but he's not dying much. 

Edited by (XBOX)General Poke
  • Like 1

On 2021-09-12 at 6:51 PM, (XBOX)General Poke said:

I strongly Suggest Microsoft Adaptive Controller 

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller

When it comes to Disabilities it's one of the most powerful and  customizable tools you can get - with a pretty strong community to support it.

• Like 1

On 2021-09-13 at 10:49 PM, NovusKnight said:

Hmm... Missing ahand poses a challenging problem. High skill ceiling frames that require fast inputs are completely off the menu.

Depends. Ever heard of Michael Olson? Completely limbless, yet competes in the likes CS:GO. Just goes to show that anything is possible with enough determination 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-11-30 at 6:05 AM, (XBOX)General Poke said:

Sadly not. The Xbox voice software seems a bit too stupid, lengthy to set up and stressful to go through. He just wants to play and the setup was ongoing while failing. We gave up on voice. For now, he's happy with the wheel. Archwing got harder to control recently. Button A used to make the archwing hover upwards but that's gone now, and Railjack had a micro-warp that seems to be gone now too. He's having to get used to what's usually a small change, but he's not dying much. 

ahhh damn, too bad re xbox voice, but glad to hear the wheel setup is still working out for him! Interesting to hear about the archwing control change, that might explain some weird interactions I've noticed with my voice controls haha. Happy warframe-ing!

• Like 1