Do you play a warframe based on how they look or how their abilities work?

AzureScion

I'll try to make this short as not to bore people out (or more like because I'm more excited to hear your opinions) but when it comes to playing a certain warframe, what matters more to you: their looks or their abilities? As we all know, there are frames that look cool but with subpar or straight up horrible abilities, and frames that look friggin fugly but with great and fun abilities, which sometimes justifies them having said look, and then there are frames that have great designs and abilities.

My go-to frames lately have been Gauss and Revenant. I play a lot of Gauss not only because he looks awesome, but his abilities also synergizes well with each other which makes him super fun to play with. He fulfills my fantasy of being the mach-speed superhero I've always wanted to be. I'm sure many people think the same since Gauss is relatively popular and he's one of the top tier frames to some. But aside from that, I also play a lot of Revenant, because I love how he looks, especially with the new Mephisto deluxe. But Revenant himself is not very popular due to (what I assume is) people thinking he's a boring frame with mediocre-ish ability. Now I personally think he has a great kit, with convenient survivability and great DPS, but yeah others might not think the same.

So what about y'all? Do you play frames based on their design/looks or their kit/abilities?

Please do note that I'm not here to judge your preferences, I just want to have a nice small talk with a light topic with the community. Who knows, maybe I even get to share my fun with you or start looking at frames in a different way and enjoy your preferred frames the same way you do.

• Like 7

Just now, Silligoose said:

Something being aesthetically pleasing to the eye usually tends to increase the enjoyment of that something, but I play frames for their abilities and enjoyment gained through those abilities.

Yep agree with that. Someone I met earlier bought Revenant and told me that he really like the Deluxe, which prompts him to buy Revenant even though having 0 knowledge on how his skills work. 

If I may ask, which frames do you enjoy playing the most?

• Like 1

I prefer frames to have coherence with their kit and look cool. Lavos is cool, does what he's supposed to...but without much in the way of customization, I dont really play him all that often. Same with Revenant. Sure he got his new skin and it's cool, but the frame is useless in a coop scenario, and the rest of his abilities aside from mesmer skin are just...meh. I just don't even try with him anymore. He's just a frame I can play dress up with.

Edited by (PSN)ErydisTheLucario

3 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

Has to be both for me.

I have to be able to enjoy the gameplay and like the look, ir it does not get a loadout slot.

Which I assume is Volt? Yeah he has a great design and very versatile kit. Not to mention he has one of the best tennogen helms in the game (to the point of some people saying it's a must buy or it's the default helm of Volt)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

I would say I'm somewhere in the middle. I do prefer frames to have coherence with their kit and look cool. Lavos is cool, does what he's supposed to...but without much in the way of customization, I dont really play him all that often. Same with Revenant. Sure he got his new skin and it's cool, but the frame is useless in a coop scenario, and the rest of his abilities aside from mesmer skin are just...meh. I just don't even try with him anymore. He's just a frame I can play dress up with.

I also do enjoy Lavos every now and then, he has a very fun playstyle but well I think his design is a little bit too crowded for me. I like his huge gauntlets though.

And yeah, Revenant is far far down in the 'tier list', he doesn't do much aside from a mix between a little bit of Rhino and Nyx, but I still enjoy playing him nonetheless since.. yeah.. he screams "menacingly cool" to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AzureScion said:

Yep agree with that. Someone I met earlier bought Revenant and told me that he really like the Deluxe, which prompts him to buy Revenant even though having 0 knowledge on how his skills work. 

If I may ask, which frames do you enjoy playing the most?

It depends on my mood really. My most played is Nezha and yes I do have the Emperyan Skin. I got him long ago as I was going through frames and saw a Nezha blitzing past with his Firewalker trail. Upon getting him, he had a lot I liked: Speed, cc, damage, durability and control, as well as some offensive- and defensive support for teammates (that was before I got to the point where support no longer mattered ☹️). 

I tend to go through phases of playing a frame for a while and embracing the style before switching to something else. Aside from Nezha, the frames I like to go to are: Revenant, Hildryn, Ash, Xaku, Ember, Gauss, Trinity, Limbo, Yarelli, Ivara, Excalibur and Oberon. On some occasions I'd play Wisp, Vauban, Mesa, and Baruuk as well and recently got back into some Loki action. I might give Rhnio another go in the near future his Stomp just feels and looks great,  but who knows? As you can see I switch between a lot of frames.

It all depends on the type of ability balance I want to go into missions with and how I prefer the focus of that balance shifts, from straight-up tankiness to more elusiveness, more damage, more control, greater maneuverability or even if I want to pretend my healing helps the team ☺️

Any other frames aside from Revenant and Gauss that has grabbed your attention?

• Like 1

Abilities first, aesthetics second

Example:

1. I find Revenant kinda boring-looking, but I like his kit, so I do play him from time to time

2. I like Yareli's look & quirky personality, but I find no enjoyment in playing her

A bit of both. The kit needs to be fun to play and have synergies. I despise abilities that are at odds with each other or interfere with the normal gameplay. But to keep me playing the frame, it needs to be visually pleasing as well.

1 hour ago, AzureScion said:

Which I assume is Volt? Yeah he has a great design and very versatile kit. Not to mention he has one of the best tennogen helms in the game (to the point of some people saying it's a must buy or it's the default helm of Volt)

Volt definitely is the most played for me.

Revenant, even before the latest fashion additions, has been holding my attention a lot lately.

I have also been trying to make Frost more fun, I love the tennogen fashion.

I solo, so that has a big bearing on the kit for me.

I'd never really thought about it. I suppose abilities and synergy (both within the frame itself, and between the frame and other loadout bits) are the main things I play a frame for. Their fashionframe game probably influences how long I play them, and if/when I return to them.

1 hour ago, AzureScion said:

When it comes to playing a certain warframe, what matters more to you: their looks or their abilities?

Both tho abilities are also important.

I main Zephyr since her release and wile many players used to consider her horrible, i quickly dominated her playstyle and was often able to assist my team the best and many times even carry missions.

I love her for her theme and how her abilities function, especially now after her rework. It takes a lot of time and practice to dominate her and i guess thas what makes so few players actually like playing with her.

Gotta have both. If I don't like the abilities, or don't like the appearance, I don't tend to play it. Most important of the two is probably looks? Abilities you can learn and mod and get around with even if they're not perfect. Yareli, for example. I've been playing her a good bit despite her lackluster kit because she's cute and fun to run around the starchart with. On the other hand, by all rights I should like Baruuk but I just can't get his appearance customization right so I've never had a strong desire to play him.

I avoided limbo for the longest time because I hated the magician with top hat look. It wasn't until they released his deluxe that I decided to give him a shot. 

Besides that extreme case (where the frame just looks dumb IMO) gameplay takes precedent

The more I think about it the more I probably prioritize looks. My most used frame is chroma prime, he has two good abilities and they're number buffs, they don't actual do much that ppl would consider fun.

But, his fashion is gorgeous, the frame I get the most people asking for my look BY FAR.

I prioritize aesthetics, though sometimes I compromise for functionality.  For example, Rhino is super ding-dang good and very fun to play, but when I look at Rhino, I just don't feel "that's me" or "that's who I want to be", so most of the time I don't gravitate towards Rhino.  Conversely, I absolutely love Xaku's aesthetics, even though I don't tend to use much of their kit except for The Vast Untime.  But if I'm feeling like playing a frame that's a bit more active with their abilities, I'll switch to a different frame.

I like Protea's look and her turrets but Lavos's kit is superior than anyone. His kit just feels like a actual tactical use (heal, mobility, recharge and nuke), he's tank, can cc large groups and don't have energy = don't need zenurik. I really don't like being dependent to energy as I most off the time played with Trinity because of her Energy Vamp :3

My problems with Protea:
With Protea all I can do is spam Blaze Artillery and dying ocassionaly to a random enemie. Her grenades don't handle so well I high content, dispensary makes you stay next to it (but generates energy and that's nice) and rewand time makes you go back the entire mission. 

But yeah, I offten play with protea even liking more Lavos gameplay because she looks good... and her deluxe will be mine 😋

Edited by Seriguela

A mix of both, i refuse to play a warframe that is asymmetric unless ether (A) its required or (B) It has a symmetric skin. Which sucks when i really like the abilities/theme of the frame like ivara.

Asymmetry is one of my biggest pet peeves about warframe. Things like the kuva twin stubbus, you think they're symmetrical until you realize they're both pointing left, its just the left gun on the right hand not flipped at all, why not? And yes, this is enough for me to ignore the weapon entirely, i got other weapons that are symmetrical and just as good, if not, better.

Edited by Joezone619