Do you play a warframe based on how they look or how their abilities work?

AzureScion

Usually, form follows function for me.  But that said, I am a satisficer and not an optimizer.  So when a frame meets the minimum requirements to get the job done, I go all ham on the looks.

In fact, I found a new appreciation for Yareli since the Ghoul Saw release.  Neither are "good", but oh so satisfying when used together.  And they're more than capable of handling any basic void fissure missions (especially with a Tenet Envoy as backup -- just don't ask her where she hides it!).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

A mix of both, i refuse to play a warframe that is asymmetric unless ether (A) its required or (B) It has a symmetric skin. Which sucks when i really like the abilities/theme of the frame like ivara.

Asymmetry is one of my biggest pet peeves about warframe. Things like the kuva twin stubbus, you think they're symmetrical until you realize they're both pointing left, its just the left gun on the right hand not flipped at all, why not? And yes, this is enough for me to ignore the weapon entirely, i got other weapons that are symmetrical and just as good, if not, better.

I go out of my way to make my fashion asymmetrical if the frame is not already...I love Ivara's looks more than her kit, for example.

I love the frames that look like they are mashed together...

I'd say it's more about the "theme" and abilities for me. For example, I really love Mesa Prime's model, but I don't play her at all because she's a gunslinger-themed frame with abilities centered around pistols. This means that aesthetics can not compensate for a theme I don't like functionality-wise.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joezone619 said:

A mix of both, i refuse to play a warframe that is asymmetric unless ether (A) its required or (B) It has a symmetric skin. Which sucks when i really like the abilities/theme of the frame like ivara.

Asymmetry is one of my biggest pet peeves about warframe. Things like the kuva twin stubbus, you think they're symmetrical until you realize they're both pointing left, its just the left gun on the right hand not flipped at all, why not? And yes, this is enough for me to ignore the weapon entirely, i got other weapons that are symmetrical and just as good, if not, better.

You must hate Xaku

At first its Mastery gain after that though its easily looks, though I have gotten lucky in my main frames all being visually appealing as well as having useful abilities. Frost, Ivara, Excal/Umbra, even Loki Prime currently & Mesa Prime. I want to add Xaku to my collection for more of a cousin concept to visuals in liking their being an NB frame (also being a walking Void being basically), so element within their design I guess.

Edited by CrimsonXX

I really enjoy the gunplay and mobility in Warframe, and quite often end up playing missions without using any abilities at all [not that I hate abilities, sometimes I like that too!].

For that reason, I tend to select based on appearance more than abilities. I typically avoid frames with unremovable floppy stuff that feels like dragging a wardrobe's worth of fabric  around the map because it often clutters & obscures my view when aiming or parkouring. Same goes for frames that are overly bulky or have large built-in shoulderpads. I also generally like the early Warframe aesthetic of sleek and functional design over the flowy robes and skirts (kilts?) that became common later on. I'm one of the (probably) few people who didn't like when Volt got cloth physics!

Appearance > Performance

(Because let's be real, it's not like my Warframe choice has any effect on mission outcome)

20 minutes ago, V2lkyr said:

You must hate Xaku

I dislike most of the newer frames because they're usually just re-hashs of old frames instead of reworks like yareli = hydroid 2.0.

Xaku is not one of these, hes one of the more unique frames IMO. Still won't play him due to the aesthetic but i cannot say i dislike him.

Edited by Joezone619
  • Like 1

I used to get into discussions from time to time with other players. Many, had over specialized their Warframe's for meta's and map exploits, etc. Often would have multiple duplicate warframes because the meta removed all flexibility from the frame. They would be the loudest when a nerf or change would come, and naturally they would have invested so much. But, it is simply not sustainable or practical to think there can be enjoyable progression or sustainable content while supporting such extreme meta in a game. This is why I would prefer to play to styles I enjoyed, over the metas. John Strife Hayes, (of, YouTube) has a video about how the meta often ruins player experience and even diminishes games.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silligoose said:

It depends on my mood really. My most played is Nezha and yes I do have the Emperyan Skin. I got him long ago as I was going through frames and saw a Nezha blitzing past with his Firewalker trail. Upon getting him, he had a lot I liked: Speed, cc, damage, durability and control, as well as some offensive- and defensive support for teammates (that was before I got to the point where support no longer mattered ☹️). 

I tend to go through phases of playing a frame for a while and embracing the style before switching to something else. Aside from Nezha, the frames I like to go to are: Revenant, Hildryn, Ash, Xaku, Ember, Gauss, Trinity, Limbo, Yarelli, Ivara, Excalibur and Oberon. On some occasions I'd play Wisp, Vauban, Mesa, and Baruuk as well and recently got back into some Loki action. I might give Rhnio another go in the near future his Stomp just feels and looks great,  but who knows? As you can see I switch between a lot of frames.

It all depends on the type of ability balance I want to go into missions with and how I prefer the focus of that balance shifts, from straight-up tankiness to more elusiveness, more damage, more control, greater maneuverability or even if I want to pretend my healing helps the team ☺️

Any other frames aside from Revenant and Gauss that has grabbed your attention?

Ah plenty, actually! If you take a look at my usage rate you can see that my frames usage rates are pretty spread out and no frames dominate over the other (Gauss still being the most played though), so yeah I, similar to you, also tend to switch to lots of other frames from time to time. From the appearance side, aside from the aforementioned Revenant, I also enjoy playing Wukong (his tennogen though, my god so gorgeous), Garuda, Ivara, and Ash, while on the practical side there's Baruuk, Xaku, Rhino, and Lavos. Then again there's these frames that have completely won me over in both appearance and abilities, which are Nidus, Nezha, Wisp, and Protea. 

Oh and speaking of Nezha, I just got his prime a few days ago and thought to myself: Holy mother of space this guy is so criminally underrated. Not only he looks dazzlingly cool with all his fire trails and his petite-ness, he's also got a very solid kit to hold himself around. My minor gripe with him is his slide thingy, sometimes giving uncontrollable forward momentum because with the way I play I like to tap the slide button just to dash forward a little as a gap closer. With him I often slide past enemies with the extra momentum left. Aside from that, solid frame!

Edited by AzureScion
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

Ah plenty, actually! If you take a look at my usage rate you can see that my frames usage rates are pretty spread out and no frames dominate over the other (Gauss still being the most played though), so yeah I, similar to you, also tend to switch to lots of other frames from time to time. From the appearance side, aside from the aforementioned Revenant, I also enjoy playing Wukong (his tennogen though, my god so gorgeous), Garuda, Ivara, and Ash, while on the practical side there's Baruuk, Xaku, Rhino, and Lavos. Then again there's these frames that have completely won me over in both appearance and abilities, which are Nidus, Nezha, Wisp, and Protea. 

Oh and speaking of Nezha, I just got his prime a few days ago and thought to myself: Holy mother of space this guy is so criminally underrated. Not only he looks dazzlingly cool with all his fire trails and his petite-ness, he's also got a very solid kit to hold himself around. My minor gripe with him is his slide thingy, sometimes giving uncontrollable forward momentum because with the way I play I like to tap the slide button just to dash forward a little as a gap closer. With him I often slide past enemies with the extra momentum left. Aside from that, solid frame!

It's nice to have variety. Protea is on my roster, but I haven't given her any real playtime yet and I have yet to build Lavos. Seems a bit of a different frame, so will be interesting to try him out.

Oh yes the Nezha slide. Some love it, some not so much and some even mod it out. Well I played him a lot, still do between the rotations of the others and I love the slide. It takes a bit of time to get used to, especially with cornering (drifting with him I guess) but the funny thing is how much I end up missing it when I played him and then switch to another frame - that boost of speed is quite nice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AzureScion said:

So what about y'all? Do you play frames based on their design/looks or their kit/abilities?

Mostly based on their Abilities but all those aspects are important to me....

My two most Favourites being Booben and Ivara.... I love Ivara mostly for her Design and Booben for his Concept.... Even though I think Harrow's Abilities are actually Better....

I think it's because Ivara and Booben embody the sort of Fantasy I want out of Warframe and Edge Lord Priest Ninja doesn't fit into that Fantasy...

If I had to simplify as much as I could... I would say I have the most fun Playing Harrow but I have the most fun Role Playing Booben and Ivara... 

Does that make sense ?

• Like 1

right now, as a long-time player, I like a mix of both. the frame itself, the visuals of the abilities, and how those abilities work are all important. good powers are let down somewhat by looking bad, while visually spectacular abilities that do nothing just make me wan them to be buffed more. that being said, I have the luxury of cosmetics and fashionframe, and the knowledge that with Primes, Tennogen and Deluxe skins, no frame is destined to be ugly forever... except maybe Yareli..

for newer players, the effectiveness of the frame should be their main concern; sure, they aren't fighting any high level threats, but they should still know the basic mechanics behind the frame and try to find one that is fun and suits their playstyle. once you find that, then you can start focusing on how to make yourself look cool. older frames kind of have the edge in visuals, as there's more skin options, but these same older frames aren't always as powerful as many of the newer frames, so those looking more for power are going to lean towards newer frames despite their lack of options for cosmetics (at least in terms of skins; I find that the right colour scheme and attachments can make a world of difference on some frames.)

once you've got some hours under your belt though, and explored most of what each frame has to offer, that's when you find yourself trying out new looks for the sake of it: congratulations, you've now entered the true endgame, Fashionframe. 

The theme of a frame is a big draw for why I’d use one.

I was doing Plague Star with Valkyr, and when it came time to defeat the boil’s immune response, and I was surrounded by Infested (all the chargers look so much like the Zerg when viewed from a Dargyn as they attack my partner), I tapped into her “I will TEAR YOU APART” and cast Warcry and proceeded to rip and tear until the timer was done. It can be a lot of fun playing to the frame’s theme and imagining what’s going through my character’s head, and it helped that I was using the Venka claws with Malicious Raptor.

I feel like a moving mountain when I sprint as Atlas, I feel like a skilled swordsman as Excalibur, I feel like I dominate the wills of others as Nyx, I feel like I’ve just gotta go super fast and am hyperactive as all hell as Gauss. Even when bouncing around I still feel like I’m being more hyperactive as Gauss than with other frames, despite (I’m pretty sure) the parkour speed not being any different.

I like the aesthetics and the abilities, but both are contributors to the theme. If I had to choose, it would probably be abilities, as those are what I’m actually using in a fight

edit: 🤔 Gosh that’s such a hard call to make though, it can get really close. They work together to sell the overall Warframe

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
added reference to claws
  • Like 1

I value their kit over looks. For example, Inaros Prime looks pretty badass (especially with his Anubis helmet) and Lavos looks like a feckin' crab that got thrown into a car crusher but I'd still rather play as Lavos because his kit is way more interesting. 

Saying that, it does help if a frame looks nice. Fashion is quite important to me and my favourite frames in the game are usually the one's that not only have a fun kit but are also great for fashionframe. Ash and Gara being prime examples. Revenant and Ember are also good one's now that they have those deluxe skins and they have fun kits with great synergy. 

Edited by Xantelian

Abilities first every time, but if the warframe is ugly like Baruuks default skin then I cry every time. Which is why hes the only one I bought a skin for with "real money" since he didnt have a deluxe for plat at the time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AzureScion said:

, what matters more to you: their looks or their abilities?

Yes.

I originally wanted to use female frames only but some of the guys look cool to.  Then I wanted to gain mastery so I had to use em all anyways.  

Lavos was fun but to complex and very very fugly.   There are others I just dont use.    Its still mainly based off looks for me and manipulating my Usage boards lol.   

---------

Ember, Mag, Valkyr, Garuda, Gara, Nova, Xaku, Protea, Nyx, Wisp.  Those are some of my favorites.  On the guy side it is hard to resist  Nekro, Rhino, Nezha, Atlas, Nidus, Excalibur, Grendel, Wukong, Oberon.

A bit of both. I will use any frame that's suitable for the job, but most of my favourite frames are aesthetically pleasing to me as well.

In fact, one of my four criteria for frames to qualify as my "Primary Favourite" (currently Ivara, Mesa, Mirage, Protea and Saryn), with their own permanent, exclusive slots at the top of the loadout screen, is "stylish, with aesthetics more or less settled."

• Like 1

Combination of factors, some of which I feel are commonly overlooked or not really articulated by a lot of players. Sound design for example. Gauss's 4? Adds a lot to my enjoyability, as well as ties into his aesthetic. Like there are also a lot of Frames that have abilities that clump enemies together, but I especially like the crunch sound Nidus makes when he slams his foot down and hits all those enemies. It feels satisfying. Now larvae is a good ability, but sometimes its more about the feel you get when playing which can be an important factor as to why you play with them, thats seperate from visual look or abilities. Applies with guns as well, and their sound design and rumble feeling etc

That also being said, I actually like how a lot of the Warframe's look, or they have a skin that I think makes them look good. So I tend to play a lot. Ditto with abilities. When I think of the Warframe's i play the least... Frost, Inaros, Nova, Rhino, its because I don't have a good skin for them yet, and I find them a bit plain abilities wise. Even then I will still use them with some good guns/melee. 

Is fun reading different viewpoints on this! 

• Like 2