Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you play a warframe based on how they look or how their abilities work?

AzureScion

When it comes to mains, both.

Otherwise whatever is efficient for the mission, i use it, but i often take an item's looks over its function.

It's not like this game was hard anyway, so it barely matters and i tend to skip the gear locked parts of the game where i can't use anything else.

At that point, the game would just become something like a job.

A good combo actually.

If I like how a Warframe looks but boring abilities, will likely just chill in Arsenal until I wanna put that statue inna relay or wear that fashion during trades or holiday season or events. 

If I like the abilities but the Warframe looks boring meh or I can't find a fashion I like, will just chill in Arsenal until "that mission" comes up then use the meh frame, or until I can find a fashion that I dig.

I gotta like the abilities and like the frames looks to play it alot.

It surprises me that a lot of people prefer aesthetics over or equally as much as function O_O

No seriously, I thought people would heavily favor practicality more than looking awesome, just like in one of those RPGs where you would rather have the strongest possible stat despite looking like a clown instead of equipping a matching armor set or something. Extreme comparison but yeah. I guess that's what makes this community so interesting and fun.

On 2021-09-14 at 3:00 AM, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

I prefer frames to have coherence with their kit and look cool. Lavos is cool, does what he's supposed to...but without much in the way of customization, I dont really play him all that often. Same with Revenant. Sure he got his new skin and it's cool, but the frame is useless in a coop scenario, and the rest of his abilities aside from mesmer skin are just...meh. I just don't even try with him anymore. He's just a frame I can play dress up with.

I recently started playing Revenant specifically due to the Mephisto skin (The syandana can even be put on his default and tennogen skins, which looks pretty damn good too imo).

He is super fun in solo with the self sustaining  thrall army drawing aggro and boosting my gun damage.

But coop people murderize my poor Thralls constantly. 

BUT! Since alpha Thralls turn into damage pools on death, I just started turning everything in sight knowing full well that allies would kill them instantly and it just turns whole rooms into damage fields lol it's kinda funny seeing a whole room covered in death traps.

Outisde of my favorites it's aesthetics and themes. Whenever I deck out a good looking frame I use weapons that would fit them and their abilities. Abilities arent as much of a concern since with Helminth and certain arcanes, pets, mods etc you can make pretty much anything work.

Abilities take priority for me. Although as I advance particular frames I often go back and try old frames that I just couldn't seem to get in the natural grove with and see if I can improve my skill. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but overall Warframe has so many interesting abilities combinations and synergies that I am not afraid to use ugly looking frames.

On 2021-09-14 at 2:05 AM, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Combination of factors, some of which I feel are commonly overlooked or not really articulated by a lot of players. Sound design for example. Gauss's 4? Adds a lot to my enjoyability, as well as ties into his aesthetic. Like there are also a lot of Frames that have abilities that clump enemies together, but I especially like the crunch sound Nidus makes when he slams his foot down and hits all those enemies. It feels satisfying. Now larvae is a good ability, but sometimes its more about the feel you get when playing which can be an important factor as to why you play with them, thats seperate from visual look or abilities. Applies with guns as well, and their sound design and rumble feeling etc

I feel like this has far more impact than most people realize. The sound design in this game in general is incredible. Quite frequently i'll know exactly what frames my teammates are using by sound alone. Consequently sound has a huge impact on my choices of frames. I actually love Grendel's looks and I think his kit is wonderfully broken, but I cannot get over how gross sounding his abilities are.  On the other hand, Octavia has literally been my favorite frame since playing her for the first time.  Dex Pixia and Blaze Artillery sound wonderful firing away. Even Gara's glass breaking is just oh so satisfying. Sound matters a lot.

Often times I see the visuals as a sort of coloring book - DE draws the lines, we color it. It's fun, relaxing, and flexes a bit of your creative muscles. So I'm rarely put off by a frame's looks (except you lavos) and I find the mechanics of their kit to be what initially draws me in. 

At the end of the day though, A Warframe needs to be a complete package - Visually interesting, Mechanically appealing, and Satisfying sound design. If any of these three are *really* off for one reason or another then I suspect you really wouldn't play it. I suspect that all of our favorites we think look cool, play fun, and sound awesome. I know that's the case for me.

On 2021-09-13 at 1:24 PM, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Definitely abilities. If a frame has 4 functioning and fun to use abilities, and a nice passive in the best case, i prefer them over literally everything else.

Agreed. Same for me…. A frame has to be enjoyable to play, looks second. I think harrow has a beautiful skin but he takes a back seat to hidryn because she’s a better frame for me. He looks way better than her…

i like cool looking frames, but form follows function. if there's a cool looking frame, i play it for fun, if there's a frame with a cool kit, i play it for the grind. if there's a cool looking frame with a cool looking kit, i main it. if there's an ugly looking frame with a godly kit, i just simply buy a skin.

Archived