Jump to content
  • 0

Returning Player Unsure What To Do


Srkad
 Share

Question

Hi everyone,

So I started playing Warframe soon after its release and decided to give it another go. Naturally a LOT has changed since I last played. I currently have a maxed Hek, maxed Despair, and maxed Excalibur and that is really about it.

What should I do? Where do I start? What is important?

There is so much new stuff I am a bit lost as to what I should be focusing on. I started doing Steel Meridian quests to get the Vaykor Hek because I remember really liking the gun when I used to play but that is about it. Any tips on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

There's some sound advice here already, so allow me to re-iterate on it a little, with some more on top.

If you're coming back after years away, and only have a few max-ranked items, then this is the perfect point to treat the game as a 'New Game +' situation.

Your priorities are as follows:

1. Complete the Star Chart in regular order.

2. Get the mods you need.

3. Get your Arsenal cooking.

4. Forma.

5. Learn about the new systems.

So here we go!

Priority 1. Complete the Star Chart.

This is at once simple, and at the same time an actual journey. The Star Chart has been reworked so you have an actual path of progression through it. Completing missions unlocks new ones, completing objectives allows you to complete Junction missions and unlock planets that you might not have before.

Quests are on the way, with many Junctions giving you the key to start a Quest, and the next Junction requiring you to have finished it. All of the Quests in the Star Chart progression are essential and will unlock newer (to you) functions, like companions, Archwing, the Open Landscapes and so on through.

An important note: If you do not have the mods, gear and frames for it, the Open Landscapes of The Plains of Eidolon, The Orb Vallis and The Cambion Drift (Earth, Venus and Deimos, respectively) will not be easy for you and will not actually give you the decent rewards. Complete the introduction missions on them and progress through the Star Chart for more essential things. Then come back to these places later to grind out the actual content.

I would suggest coming back to Cetus, the Plains of Eidolon, after completing the quest The War Within, because it will unlock a new Syndicate and something that is very useful in the later Quests (like The Chains of Harrow), and I genuinely advise grinding that new thing up a bit in order to make those quests a heck of a lot easier.

To round this part out, any Warframe with a half-decent build on it, with any weapon that has the similar basic mods, will complete the Star Chart, it is not designed to be punishing or all that difficult. That's why I say to get it done first.

Priority 2. Getting the mods.

On your journey you'll have unlocked a lot of areas to grind mods. Completing all the nodes on a planet unlocks Nightmare missions (one is present on every planet and cycles every 8 hours (meaning you can do one per planet per game session). Grind these, level them up, they are almost always useful.

On Deimos (what used to be the Derelict) the mission nodes will all have hidden Vaults in them, craft Dragon Keys (you get the blueprints from the Dojo in the Orokin Lab, the blueprints are infinite and you can craft as many as you like if you have resources), use them to unlock the Vaults for Corrupted Mods. These are incredible for min-maxing and plenty of builds use at least one of them.

Once you have completed the Star Chart you will unlock the Arbitration game mode, this also has very useful mods, and is also a great source of the resource you use to rank up mods, Endo, so grind that when you can.

For any mod you see in a player's build that you don't have, look to the Wiki for where it drops and go find it. While many mods are niche and generally not worth picking over others, the core ones are important.

And, failing all that, you can actually buy many of the core mods in the Market now as dedicated packs. Base damage, Elemental Damage and so on.

Priority 3. Expanding your Arsenal.

The bosses along the Star Chart drop some pretty good frames. Some Quests have them. Your Dojo has discount frames that are very, very useful.

For a new starter the frames to look for include Rhino (from the Venus boss) the tanky boi, Volt from the Dojo for a versatile boi, Nezha from the Dojo for a faster tanky boi with some great team support, Zephyr from the Dojo for a combo of area denial and damage...

You'll pick up Nekros from the boss on Deimos (not the open landscape) for farming parts, Mag comes from the Sargeant on Phobos, Frost from Ceres, Valkyr from Jupiter, Nova from Europa, Ember from Saturn, Equinox is one of the annoying grinds from Uranus, Chroma will have been gained in quests by now, Loki from Neptune, Trinity from Pluto, Saryn from Sedna and finally Atlas from Eris.

Quests you get along the way will give you Limbo, Mirage, Revenant, Harrow, Inaros, Titania, Octavia, Protea and Mesa.

That's a lot to take in, but those frames will genuinely set you up for nearly everything you encounter in the game. Find them, level them.

There are more, but they'll come from things like the syndicates you find in Cetus, Fortuna and the Necralisk. They'll take you a while, and you don't need them over anything else, but they are nice to have.

Weapons can be grabbed in the same way, some bosses drop parts, the Dojo has literally dozens, some you can just get the Blueprints from the Market for Credits.

Primes are a huge thing, there are now 33 Prime Warframes in the game, with an average of two Prime Weapons each, and a much easier way to get them than originally, because you can go in public for short runs (or longer ones if you like that format) and get more rolls of the dice at the outcome. Just be sure to pay attention to the Relics you pick up over the course of completing the Star Chart. It may take a little while, but finding some friends for dedicated farming sessions will make this a lot easier.

You can also get weapons from Syndicates, pay attention to them as they include some very good upgrades to ones you might already like.

Melee weapons are incredibly powerful under the current system, and some good modding of those will see you a long, long way in the game.

It's time to grind things to trade for Platinum, though, because without Plat you can't unlock the Arsenal Slots to store your growing stable and have space for all those guns and swords.

Priority 4. Forma.

I wish, I wish, I wish that somebody had told me how much of this I was going to use over time. I would guess that I average 3 per Weapon, and 4 per Warframe.

That adds up over time. With some weapons and Forma-applicable items even having to use 5 Forma just to get the maximum Mastery Points unlocked from them.

Think about that. At 4 Forma per Warframe, we have 47 base Warframes and 33 Primes, meaning that a complete collection for Mastery Ranking will use an average of 320 Forma.

You can now build one Forma in the Foundry over 23 hours (so that you can play at the same time every day and claim them). Meaning 1 per day. That's nearly a year just to fill out your Frames. Let alone the literal 300+ Weapons.

Use the Relics you've found to get Prime Parts, but build every single Forma you unlock from those. Get Forma from every Alert you can see. Use Events like the current Plague Star (which you're under-equipped for, best wait for next time) to gain Forma quickly. Anything. Even trade some of your excess Prime Parts for Platinum and buy it in Bundles of 3 for 35p (way better value than 1 for 20p, which is the base).

Forma is essential.

Get it at every opportunity.

Priority 5. Learn the new Systems.

Now this?

This I'm not equipped to go through, I haven't the time to explain them all. I may not be able to write them all out.

But... here's a sample.

The basic Modding system, what interacts with what, how mods affect Warframes and Weapons based on the raw stats, and how they interact with the current damage system.

The current Damage System. This has undergone changes, with Elemental damage and Status effects, even Critical Hits having undergone some updates over time. Mods that make use of all of these, weapons that have special interactions with the damage they deal... There are tutorials, or a lot of reading, but it's something important to how you mod, how you play, and what gear/frames/weapons you take to the different missions.

New Mission types that have arrived since you left.

Endo replacing Mod Fusion. Clear goals to work towards.

Relics replacing Void Keys. In this one, try to avoid bias from the people talking, try to stick to the facts only, it's divisive.

Arcanes for Warframes and Weapons.

The introduction of Railjack in the Empyrean system.

How Open Landscape Bounties and Syndicates work.

The Syndicates themselves.

Unique modding that comes from higher level content, such as the Steel Path giving you Arcanes, or Arbitrations giving you Galvanised Mods.

Literal Spoiler-laden systems I can't give away until you unlock them...

The list just keeps going.

But remember, the Wiki is your friend. Players are always updating it, giving you the tutorials there that you might not get anywhere else. Youtube has plenty of players who will give guides for everything from beginners to the hardcore build-crafters.

Just ask here again if there's something you really, really can't understand, too.

To sum up...

Yeah, priorities are there.

Some are more essential to getting yourself prepped for the higher level content, some are more essential to basic quality of life.

The more you have, in Warframe, the better equipped you are to handle anything they throw at you.

But honestly? Have fun.

Just play the game, keeping in mind those basic goals, and you're going to have a pretty good time of it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 minutes ago, Srkad said:

Hi everyone,

So I started playing Warframe soon after its release and decided to give it another go. Naturally a LOT has changed since I last played. I currently have a maxed Hek, maxed Despair, and maxed Excalibur and that is really about it.

What should I do? Where do I start? What is important?

There is so much new stuff I am a bit lost as to what I should be focusing on. I started doing Steel Meridian quests to get the Vaykor Hek because I remember really liking the gun when I used to play but that is about it. Any tips on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome back to it!

If you want a specific direction to move in, upstairs in your ship, check the Codex for Story missions.
For a more casual direction, clearing uncompleted nodes/missions along the star map.
Acquiring weapons, Warframes, and mods to fill up your collection, or just to expand how you want to express combat in the game.
End game is always fashion frame, but that's up to you whether you get into that. =P

Regardless of what mission you're doing, or what equipment you use, you're always going to get some kind of something that's useful later. Even resources that use to run out of function, now have a long term resource sink that can make use of them. So long as you're enjoying yourself, you're good. Go at your pace and do what sounds fun.

If you have questions about differences from when you played and where you are now, feel free to ask. I've been here since 2014, so I should have an idea of something from back when you played to help guide you.

Best of luck, Tenno!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Sounds like you are at the beginning. So start as if new account and do junctions starting with earth>Venus>mercury then swapping directions to earth>Mars. Once you get to Uranus the story quests start to unlock. 
 

leveling the syndicate is a decent side goal, go ahead and join suda  and hexis as well as they are fine with steel and can be leveled easily at the same time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Welcome back!  If I were you I would just use the Quests in the Codex to provide you with direction, as it sounds like you've got a great deal of content you haven't done.  No need to rush, as there's quite a lot of it!  Take your time, do a Quest every now and then to slowly unlock more story and features, and above all: enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Srkad said:

Hi everyone,

So I started playing Warframe soon after its release and decided to give it another go. Naturally a LOT has changed since I last played. I currently have a maxed Hek, maxed Despair, and maxed Excalibur and that is really about it.

What should I do? Where do I start? What is important?

There is so much new stuff I am a bit lost as to what I should be focusing on. I started doing Steel Meridian quests to get the Vaykor Hek because I remember really liking the gun when I used to play but that is about it. Any tips on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

well... there is no linear progress in warframe. everybody just find things that they like and do that thing. it's more like minecraft than uncharted.

my suggestion would be to finish nodes on your starchart, or play the quests on your codex.
learn how to mod while you're at it.

if you hit a wall, remember that you can always take a detour and do something else until you're strong enough. make a new weapon, make a hoverboard, make a mech, make a spaceship! choice is yours. also, very important: whenever you feel lost, just google.
warframe wiki and results from this forum or reddit will answer any of your questions. that's how we all navigate warframe, by googling it. even the veterans.

welcome back, and good luck, tenno!

Edited by Soy77
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
33 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

There's some sound advice here already, so allow me to re-iterate on it a little, with some more on top.

If you're coming back after years away, and only have a few max-ranked items, then this is the perfect point to treat the game as a 'New Game +' situation.

Your priorities are as follows:

1. Complete the Star Chart in regular order.

2. Get the mods you need.

3. Get your Arsenal cooking.

4. Forma.

5. Learn about the new systems.

So here we go!

Priority 1. Complete the Star Chart.

This is at once simple, and at the same time an actual journey. The Star Chart has been reworked so you have an actual path of progression through it. Completing missions unlocks new ones, completing objectives allows you to complete Junction missions and unlock planets that you might not have before.

Quests are on the way, with many Junctions giving you the key to start a Quest, and the next Junction requiring you to have finished it. All of the Quests in the Star Chart progression are essential and will unlock newer (to you) functions, like companions, Archwing, the Open Landscapes and so on through.

An important note: If you do not have the mods, gear and frames for it, the Open Landscapes of The Plains of Eidolon, The Orb Vallis and The Cambion Drift (Earth, Venus and Deimos, respectively) will not be easy for you and will not actually give you the decent rewards. Complete the introduction missions on them and progress through the Star Chart for more essential things. Then come back to these places later to grind out the actual content.

I would suggest coming back to Cetus, the Plains of Eidolon, after completing the quest The War Within, because it will unlock a new Syndicate and something that is very useful in the later Quests (like The Chains of Harrow), and I genuinely advise grinding that new thing up a bit in order to make those quests a heck of a lot easier.

To round this part out, any Warframe with a half-decent build on it, with any weapon that has the similar basic mods, will complete the Star Chart, it is not designed to be punishing or all that difficult. That's why I say to get it done first.

Priority 2. Getting the mods.

On your journey you'll have unlocked a lot of areas to grind mods. Completing all the nodes on a planet unlocks Nightmare missions (one is present on every planet and cycles every 8 hours (meaning you can do one per planet per game session). Grind these, level them up, they are almost always useful.

On Deimos (what used to be the Derelict) the mission nodes will all have hidden Vaults in them, craft Dragon Keys (you get the blueprints from the Dojo in the Orokin Lab, the blueprints are infinite and you can craft as many as you like if you have resources), use them to unlock the Vaults for Corrupted Mods. These are incredible for min-maxing and plenty of builds use at least one of them.

Once you have completed the Star Chart you will unlock the Arbitration game mode, this also has very useful mods, and is also a great source of the resource you use to rank up mods, Endo, so grind that when you can.

For any mod you see in a player's build that you don't have, look to the Wiki for where it drops and go find it. While many mods are niche and generally not worth picking over others, the core ones are important.

And, failing all that, you can actually buy many of the core mods in the Market now as dedicated packs. Base damage, Elemental Damage and so on.

Priority 3. Expanding your Arsenal.

The bosses along the Star Chart drop some pretty good frames. Some Quests have them. Your Dojo has discount frames that are very, very useful.

For a new starter the frames to look for include Rhino (from the Venus boss) the tanky boi, Volt from the Dojo for a versatile boi, Nezha from the Dojo for a faster tanky boi with some great team support, Zephyr from the Dojo for a combo of area denial and damage...

You'll pick up Nekros from the boss on Deimos (not the open landscape) for farming parts, Mag comes from the Sargeant on Phobos, Frost from Ceres, Valkyr from Jupiter, Nova from Europa, Ember from Saturn, Equinox is one of the annoying grinds from Uranus, Chroma will have been gained in quests by now, Loki from Neptune, Trinity from Pluto, Saryn from Sedna and finally Atlas from Eris.

Quests you get along the way will give you Limbo, Mirage, Revenant, Harrow, Inaros, Titania, Octavia, Protea and Mesa.

That's a lot to take in, but those frames will genuinely set you up for nearly everything you encounter in the game. Find them, level them.

There are more, but they'll come from things like the syndicates you find in Cetus, Fortuna and the Necralisk. They'll take you a while, and you don't need them over anything else, but they are nice to have.

Weapons can be grabbed in the same way, some bosses drop parts, the Dojo has literally dozens, some you can just get the Blueprints from the Market for Credits.

Primes are a huge thing, there are now 33 Prime Warframes in the game, with an average of two Prime Weapons each, and a much easier way to get them than originally, because you can go in public for short runs (or longer ones if you like that format) and get more rolls of the dice at the outcome. Just be sure to pay attention to the Relics you pick up over the course of completing the Star Chart. It may take a little while, but finding some friends for dedicated farming sessions will make this a lot easier.

You can also get weapons from Syndicates, pay attention to them as they include some very good upgrades to ones you might already like.

Melee weapons are incredibly powerful under the current system, and some good modding of those will see you a long, long way in the game.

It's time to grind things to trade for Platinum, though, because without Plat you can't unlock the Arsenal Slots to store your growing stable and have space for all those guns and swords.

Priority 4. Forma.

I wish, I wish, I wish that somebody had told me how much of this I was going to use over time. I would guess that I average 3 per Weapon, and 4 per Warframe.

That adds up over time. With some weapons and Forma-applicable items even having to use 5 Forma just to get the maximum Mastery Points unlocked from them.

Think about that. At 4 Forma per Warframe, we have 47 base Warframes and 33 Primes, meaning that a complete collection for Mastery Ranking will use an average of 320 Forma.

You can now build one Forma in the Foundry over 23 hours (so that you can play at the same time every day and claim them). Meaning 1 per day. That's nearly a year just to fill out your Frames. Let alone the literal 300+ Weapons.

Use the Relics you've found to get Prime Parts, but build every single Forma you unlock from those. Get Forma from every Alert you can see. Use Events like the current Plague Star (which you're under-equipped for, best wait for next time) to gain Forma quickly. Anything. Even trade some of your excess Prime Parts for Platinum and buy it in Bundles of 3 for 35p (way better value than 1 for 20p, which is the base).

Forma is essential.

Get it at every opportunity.

Priority 5. Learn the new Systems.

Now this?

This I'm not equipped to go through, I haven't the time to explain them all. I may not be able to write them all out.

But... here's a sample.

The basic Modding system, what interacts with what, how mods affect Warframes and Weapons based on the raw stats, and how they interact with the current damage system.

The current Damage System. This has undergone changes, with Elemental damage and Status effects, even Critical Hits having undergone some updates over time. Mods that make use of all of these, weapons that have special interactions with the damage they deal... There are tutorials, or a lot of reading, but it's something important to how you mod, how you play, and what gear/frames/weapons you take to the different missions.

New Mission types that have arrived since you left.

Endo replacing Mod Fusion. Clear goals to work towards.

Relics replacing Void Keys. In this one, try to avoid bias from the people talking, try to stick to the facts only, it's divisive.

Arcanes for Warframes and Weapons.

The introduction of Railjack in the Empyrean system.

How Open Landscape Bounties and Syndicates work.

The Syndicates themselves.

Unique modding that comes from higher level content, such as the Steel Path giving you Arcanes, or Arbitrations giving you Galvanised Mods.

Literal Spoiler-laden systems I can't give away until you unlock them...

The list just keeps going.

But remember, the Wiki is your friend. Players are always updating it, giving you the tutorials there that you might not get anywhere else. Youtube has plenty of players who will give guides for everything from beginners to the hardcore build-crafters.

Just ask here again if there's something you really, really can't understand, too.

To sum up...

Yeah, priorities are there.

Some are more essential to getting yourself prepped for the higher level content, some are more essential to basic quality of life.

The more you have, in Warframe, the better equipped you are to handle anything they throw at you.

But honestly? Have fun.

Just play the game, keeping in mind those basic goals, and you're going to have a pretty good time of it.

This is exactly what I was looking for, I appreciate the depth you went to in writing this up. I understand there are a seemingly monumental amount of new systems and appreciate you taking the time to delve into some of them, this gives me a great place to start. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed coming back in and I knew I had unlocked all of the planets before I quit so was a bit confused as to what was going on there. I'll work on going through these again at a breakneck pace with my maxed weapons lol and by the sounds of it making sure to craft 1 forma each day.

I appreciate all the replies here, it seems like warframe has a pretty good community.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

 

Once you have completed the Star Chart you will unlock the Arbitration game mode, this also has very useful mods, and is also a great source of the resource you use to rank up mods, Endo, so grind that when you can.

Quoted For Emphasis... Endo is very Important :O !!! Lots of players buy Ayatan Sculptures in Bulk because Endo just takes so long to get.... Also those Sculptures are pretty 😝

19 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

For a new starter the frames to look for include Rhino (from the Venus boss) the tanky boi, Volt from the Dojo for a versatile boi, Nezha from the Dojo for a faster tanky boi with some great team support, Zephyr from the Dojo for a combo of area denial and damage...

I'd also recommend Cheese Frames in addition to these.... Limbo, Octavia, Khora.... Anything that trivializes content because you really don't want your Grinding to have any sort of Resistance on top of any Frustration caused by the RNG.... It sucks but that's the way DE decided to make the game...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
50 minutes ago, Srkad said:

This is exactly what I was looking for, I appreciate the depth you went to in writing this up.

Oh, one more thing I forgot.

As a returning player, you might know this already, but the Affinity (for levelling) should be explained a little. This will help you level things up faster, if you don't know it already.

When you kill something, the Affinity you gain is apportioned one of two ways

1. Kill with a Warframe Ability, 100% of the Affinity goes to your Warframe.
2. Kill with a weapon, then 50% of the Affinity goes to the Weapon, 50% goes to your Warframe.

Note; when you kill things, your Companion gains nothing from that.

When your Companion kills something, it gains the Affinity, you do not. Either 100% goes to the Companion or, if it has a Weapon, it is split 50/50 with the Weapon and the Companion.

When another player kills something, or when anyone completes an Objective (like a Spy Vault), there is a bias. At base, this apportions 25% of the Affinity from that kill (equal to your own kills) to your Warframe, to your Primary, to your Secondary and to your Melee. Any companion you have gains Affinity separately and does not detract from you.

This, however is not even; if you do not equip one of your weapons, your Warframe still only gets 25% of the Affinity. Meaning that the 75% remaining is split between your two weapons. If you only equip one weapon total, it gains 75% of the Affinity you would gain.

What this means is that you can choose a levelling method to suit what you're levelling.

If you want to level a Weapon quickly, you go into a mission with only that weapon equipped and support your Squad while they kill things, funnelling 75% Affinity to the weapon and levelling it up fastest.

This is also true for Companions, as they gain Affinity as a separate entity from other players' kills, but you do not lose out if another player is doing the killing.

If you are levelling a Warframe, you can go into missions with a more Solo attitude in mind, killing specifically with your weapons and Warframe abilities. Leaning heavily on the Abilities if you have that option (note that even 1st abilities on many frames can kill, which gives them a boost on initial levelling.

And there is one more function that you may find very useful: The Stealth Multiplier.

If you have a Warframe capable of Stealth, like Loki, Ash, Ivara, and Octavia, or a Warframe capable of putting enemies into an Unaware state, like Ivara, Khora, Baruuk and Equinox, you can trigger Stealth Kills far more reliably than you could just by trying to sneak up on enemies.

Stealth kills will stack up to a 500% multiplier on Affinity gain, meaning that if you take a frame like Ivara who can both Stealth and Sleep enemies, you can level weapons from Stealth at 5x the speed of normal.

Spoiler

Advanced Strategy, for when you've completed the Star Chart and are working on Deimos Open Landscape:

From the Dojo you can grab Banshee. Banshee has the Silence Ability that makes a radial effect of silencing all weapons, stunning enemies every time they come into contact with the edge of the ability, reducing enemy awareness, and something very important for levelling.

She can equip the Savage Silence mod, which allows for your attacks on the temporarily stunned enemies to count as Stealth kills. Even if the enemies were Aware before they were stunned, they become eligible for Stealth kills.

In this respect you can actually run at full-speed through missions, staggering enemies before they can attack you, kill them and have every kill maintain the 500% Stealth Multiplier.

Players are currently using this trick with one of the new Systems, the Helminth Subsume system. This allows you to sacrifice a Banshee frame and then infuse her Silence ability (only Silence, not any of her other abilities) onto other Warframes.

This means that Warframes that do not have a 'kill' ability on their 1 can instead infuse this ability, use the Augment, and level up extremely quickly using weapons instead.

This effect stacks with any Affinity Boost you might be getting from either buying a booster, having a 'Double Affinity' weekend, or by visiting a Relay and being 'Blessed' by an MR30 player.

Hopefully that's not entirely complicated.

Short of it is: You kill stuff, you gain affinity. Others killing things, you gain affinity differently. Balance which one you want to use, based on what you're levelling up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...