Nyx rework suggestion : 2 ideas in 1 post

Bakahung

So Nyx is an interesting topic in the regards of her power .

Back when trials were a thing , she is a power house , locking down maps with other frames so player can progress with ease .

But as a CC focus frame , just like old Vauban , she starts to fell out of players radar . Not to mention the damage meta and new missions favoring damage and crowd clear aren't doing her any good .

The change to her 2 a while ago is a good direction , which gave her a new role as a de-buffer  . But it's still not quite enough , as the ability is somewhat limited .

So the goal of this post is to make her do better in modern times , while not change her kit too much.

And now there are two direction in front of me , first is simply enhance what she can do .

Since unlike old Vauban , she has other function (strip armor) , if one simply make her abilities more effective , she should be good to go .

The second is to gave her new role , a damage potential , making her a jack-of-all-trade .

Giving her new power definitely will help to fill the gap of her other skills , making her better as a result . And the current meta is all about damage , so this won't go wrong .

And I decide to do both , because why not , the more option the better .

Note that some of them will be the similar , the biggest different is the way to handle Chaos , her 3 .

(Also I did one Nyx suggestion before , some were kept in this post)

So here is the suggestion : ( Click to open the one you want to read )

Suggestion 1 : Enhance existing function .

Spoiler

Passive : Enemy react slower to Nyx's present .

They will take longer time to start shooting or trigger alarm , even no reaction at all if you move fast enough .

They need to take a while to recognize Nyx is in front of them , since her mere presence is enough to make their head fuzzy .

1 ) Mind control 

Increase maximum target to two at a time .

For every mind control target that's present , ally gain 1 energy/s . Nyx herself gains double .

If wukong as a super tanky fast moving long stick wielder can have a high HP and damage clone at all time , I'd say Nyx deserve to have 2 perma minion .

And the energy regen is to make sure this ability actually do stuff , since AI is not reliable . You can imagine as Nyx's draining their mental energy .

And as a Helminth ability , this can give player more choice for energy ability .

2 ) Psychic bolts

More bolts on default , and the amount of projectile now scale with range , and casting won't remove previous effect  (It will prioritize new targets) .

The biggest limitation is Nyx can only throw a set number of bolts  , and new cast will remove old one . This is not good in a game where there are new hordes coming every second .

With the help of her 1's energy and this change , she can spam this to quickly strip lots of defense really fast .

3) Chaos

Now the effect will linger for a while , but with a shorter duration .

Chaos only effect a group at a time is really awkward , since it means if player kill any enemies after Chaos , the effect actually became weaker , as less enemy are distracted .

So the best thing to do is cast Chaos , and do nothing as they shoot at each other . But mission usually require player to kill things to progress with small exceptions .

With this change , this can probably help chaos by a lot .

And since it now lingers , the effective duration probably stay the same .

Augment Chaos vision

Greatly shorten the duration of chaos , but enemies will took massive damage at the end of duration.

Since Chaos Sphere's effect is now built in , she needs a new augment . One that will alter playstyle .

The flavors is , now enemies start to see Nyx in themselves , so they will ... put it lightly , attack .

It's a bit dark , but really fits her theme . 

4) Absorb

Now taunt nearby enemies . 

release will deal damage base on enemy weakness , also scale with strength .

psychic bolts can be cast while in absorb .

So how does one change absorb ?

Removing it is no good , since some player like Assimilate . 

Also any buff to baseline also effect it's augment , which is decent , or making it a Mag bubble . Both are not good .

I think this is a good middle ground .

Augment : Assimilate 

Absorb no longer taunt . Other remains the same .

Suggestion 2 : new power 

( Some of them will be copy / paste from suggestion 1 .The change are mostly the same )

Spoiler

Passive : Enemy react slower to Nyx's present .

They will take longer time to start shooting or trigger alarm , even no reaction at all if you move fast enough .

They need to take a while to recognize Nyx is in front of them , since her mere presence is enough to make their head fuzzy .

1) Mind control / chaos

Tap : Mind control

Increase maximum target to two at a time .

For every mind control target that's present , ally gain 1 energy/s . 

Hold : Chaos 

Spend 50 more energy to cast .( 1's base line cost is 25 )

Rest is unchanged .

So Mind Control and Chaos , to me , are the same ability but different scale . At least for the flavor . Both manipulating Enemies perception . 

So I make them two side of one ability . 

Note that those are weaker then suggestion 1 , because they are two ability in one slot .

And the reason for mind control change is : ( forgive me for copy pasting )

If wukong as a super tanky fast moving long stick wielder can have a high HP and damage clone at all time , I'd say Nyx deserve to have 2 perma minion .

And the energy regen is to make sure this ability actually do stuff , since Ai is not reliable . You can imagine as Nyx's draining their mental energy .

And as a Helminth ability , this can give player more choice for energy ability .

(Only Mind control can be subsume though )

2 ) Psychic bolts

More bolts on default , and the amount of projectile now scale with range , and casting won't remove previous effect  (It will prioritize new targets) .

The biggest limitation is Nyx can only throw a set number of bolts  , and new cast will remove old one . This is not good in a game where there are new hordes coming every second .

With the help of her 1's energy and this change , she can spam this to quickly strip lots of defense really fast .

3)Nightmare vision ( New ability ! )

Can only be cast when there are enemies under Mind Control / Chaos effect . 

Nyx inject unimageable terror into her victim's mind , causing them to self-destruct . 

Mind control target will charge toward closest enemy , and explode itself , dealing damage base on it's damage multiplier . 

Chaos instantly end it's duration , and deals gigantic damage to it's victim .

So this is the new function . Some nice damage . And one that's have some nice flavor .

This combo with her 2 , can clear groups of enemies with the cost of much energy .

But with the help of energy regen from her new 1 , this probably won't be a big issue .

4) Absorb

Now taunt nearby enemies . 

release will deal damage base on enemy weakness , also scale with strength .

psychic bolts can be cast while in absorb .

So how does one change absorb ?

Removing it is no good , since some player like Assimilate . 

Also any buff to baseline also effect it's augment , which is decent , or making it a Mag bubble . Both are not good .

I think this is a good middle ground .

Augment : Assimilate 

Absorb no longer taunt . Other remains the same .

There is one thing common in both version though , Nyx incapability to take hits .

Her primary survival tool is Chaos , but relying on CC to survive is not that easy . Not saying Nyx should be super tanky , but some other tools to help won't hurt .

So here's a augment for her Mind control . I think sacrificing a mod slot for more chances is fair for both version .

Sacrificial Command 

When Nyx took fatal damage , a controlled target will die instead , and gave her a small invulnerability .

This effect have 30 second cool down .

I think the effect is self-explanatory , Nyx command a minion to die for her .

Cool down is to prevent cheesing , but it can be remove if it's not an actual issue .

So this is my 2 in 1 suggestion .

I hope this is good enough to be seen by DE , and maybe inspire some of them to rework Nyx .

• Like 2