Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I think The New War might not be as emotional as DE and players may want it to be.

Joezone619

Potential Spoilers Ahead

Its clear from the 30minute demo, that cetus and potentially all free roam area's, will be overrun and lost. And i don't mean as in "No more cetus", i mean as in under sentient control, a shift of faction control. I can't speak for others, but i don't really care about cetus or the other free roams at all. What i was hoping would happen, is that they'd be expanded upon in the future after they were released, instead it seems DE has genuinely abandoned them. There are still countless bounty bugs and softlocks, and even issues with the orb mother fights still.

Essentially what needed to happen IMO is that the free roam area's needed to be reworked, added to, expanded upon. One main reason i don't go to any of these places is due to the bounty system, and how it handles the rewards. It offers a random assortment of rewards that the player may be interested in, from lenses, to endo and credits, to kuva. But in most cases for credits, endo, and kuva, there just isn't nearly enough rewarded. Simply put, i don't think the bounty reward system is good enough to warrant not choosing your reward/having influence over it in some fashion.

But back to my point, i don't think players are as emotionally attached to cetus, and the other free roams as DE thinks. They've waited so long to make the new war, and haven't touched the free roams since they're releases for so long, the feeling has really dulled down for me. I'm hoping DE can make the new war as good as myself and many others want it to be, but i don't think they know their player base enough to actually do it, especially given they've ignored the majority of feedback on recent updates, its clear they've grown out of touch.

TLDR: I'm worried about The New War, and DE's ability to satisfy their player base, after waiting so long to make it.

But that's just my opinions/worries, I'd like to hear what other people are thinking about the new war. Or what they like/dislike about the free roam areas.

7 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

I'm worried about the new war, and DE's ability to satisfy their player base.

I’d be more worried they are gonna break the new war up in 4 parts to stretch out the content so it will last longer. Kahl update, corpus update, teshin update, then back to warframes or some kinda BS like that. 

14 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

Potential Spoilers Ahead

Its clear from the 30minute demo, that cetus and potentially all free roam area's, will be overrun and lost.

No it's not. This is not WoW Cataclysm or whatever.

It's just another story update and probably won't affect the map in any long term way except a few more sentient invasions or presences. You are reading the "tea leaves" and that is also a mistake because divination isn't a real thing. 

So put down the crystal ball, the tarot cards and most important the crack pipe. Just be patient and wait to enjoy the show.

DE isn't trying to up-end the game WoW Cataclysm style, it's another cool story update, and if the hyped comments on the forums are anything to go by, DE just needs to give us literally more of the same they showed as at Tennocon and people will be happy. They don't need some extra twist or any big map update nor is anyone reasonable expecting anything like that. It's a cinematic story update. 

We are expecting the story to be updated. Nothing more. It's that simple. 

With no offense to the lore community, I think they will be happy to get anything at all.

I never personally saw a lore oriented player complain about anything, worst case scenario they just fatasize their way out of plot holes.

I personally don't care about lore at all, to me I am playing a video game, but I always said they should focus on lore since there is obviously a demand for it.

Probably going to jinx it now but there is really no way to mess up lore and story.

And I know you are going to say the developers always find a way lol but yeah no not with the lore I don't think, those people are too dedicated to it.

13 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

Its clear from the 30minute demo, that cetus and potentially all free roam area's, will be overrun and lost.

Ah yes, DE invested hundreds of work time on all of those systems that we invested time in so it can be completely destroyed later, never to be seen/played again

WTF kind of logic is that?

1 minute ago, Surbusken said:

With no offense to the lore community, I think they will be happy to get anything at all.

I never personally saw a lore oriented player complain about anything, worst case scenario they just fatasize their way out of plot holes.

I personally don't care about lore at all, to me I am playing a video game, but I always said they should focus on lore since there is obviously a demand for it.

Probably going to jinx it now but there is really no way to mess up lore and story.

And I know you are going to say the developers always find a way lol but yeah no not with the lore I don't think, those people are too dedicated to it.

*I'm in this comment and I don't like it* :tongue:

But seriously though, that's pretty much the truth. 

Anyone who likes the lore, even if I wouldn't put myself in the echelon of some lore hounds, just wants more story and to get some updates and see where we are going next.

We know there probably will be some gameplay updates and additions too, but even those who would prefer that are mostly expecting more story. It is a story update, and the lore-hounds will take anything. They just want more story, they aren't going to be fussed what it is. Leave it a bit open for speculation and voila, you have a satisfied lore community. 

I don't think they are banking on those areas being attacked to have any emotional impact. Nor should players be expecting much to happen with them.

We all know that as soon as the quest concludes (or whatever event does if they're continuing with that system for New War) that Cetus and all other attacked areas will go back to normal functionality. All we'll likely see is maybe some changed scenery (like seeing the Moon only after Second Dream) and idle dialogue. As they're not going to alter years of content for a quest that'll be over in an hour.

What will be the emotional impact that DE needs to nail is the resolution with Lotus. There is nothing else they could do for New War that'll top it. And if anything does then they'll have completely thrown away the story they've been building for all these years.

5 minutes ago, -Krism- said:

Ah yes, DE invested hundreds of work time on all of those systems that we invested time in so it can be completely destroyed later, never to be seen/played again

Pretty common in MMOs as far as I know. WOW did this what... 15 years ago? 

https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/zone-changes-from-classic-to-cataclysm

1 minute ago, Leqesai said:

Pretty common in MMOs as far as I know. WOW did this what... 15 years ago? 

https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/zone-changes-from-classic-to-cataclysm

I could see them having a changed version for people who did the quest, and were doing a special mission there, maybe involving some kind of now permanent sentient presence for people who have progressed far enough in the game, but the way Warframe is structured, the game isn't designed imo for the kind of permanent changes WoW Cataclysm brought. 

DE is STILL trying to hide the operators from new players even though its almost impossible to do so. 

I don't think they are going to make any kind of permanent landscape change that is visible for a non quest completed player, even through taxiing. 

Are players all that emotionally invested in Warframe from a lore standpoint in the first place? I feel like most people care about, say, Baro insofar as he gives stuff. And even if stuff is rerouted, I doubt they'll close off things outright. If Konzu were to kick the bucket tomorrow, I don't think we'd be all that miffed.

Personally, the big intrigue I have for the New War has nothing to do with Cetus or even the Tenno and everything to do with the Sentient. There's a lot of intrigue around their social structure, why they're attacking now, even what they're like outside of warfare. They were made for terraforming, not military, after all. Do they play a game of IRL Minecraft back in Tau? (Legit, I want a Sentient open world, just to see what their world is like)

1 minute ago, Tyreaus said:

Are players all that emotionally invested in Warframe from a lore standpoint in the first place? I feel like most people care about, say, Baro insofar as he gives stuff. And even if stuff is rerouted, I doubt they'll close off things outright.

Personally, the big intrigue I have for the New War has nothing to do with Cetus or even the Tenno and everything to do with the Sentient. There's a lot of intrigue around their social structure, why they're attacking now, even what they're like outside of warfare. They were made for terraforming, not military, after all. Do they play a game of IRL Minecraft back in Tau? (Legit, I want a Sentient open world, just to see what their world is like)

I get the idea from the teasers we have been shown, that the Sentients are far more interesting in terraforming and assimilating nearby wildlife and even intelligent life than they are with destroying it.

They don't just want to kill, they want to conquer. It makes them way more interesting. It also puts the old war in a different perspective.

The Orokin weren't just trying to stop an enemy from destroying everyone, they were trying to stop a potentially slightly less evil group from wresting the golden handed grip they had from the sol system. 

1 minute ago, Tyreaus said:

Are players all that emotionally invested in Warframe from a lore standpoint in the first place?

I can't speak for everyone else but I sure as hell am not invested in Warframe's lore. It is an absolute mish-mash of ideas and quite frankly I find the story the weakest part of Warframe. 

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I could see them having a changed version for people who did the quest, and were doing a special mission there, maybe involving some kind of now permanent sentient presence for people who have progressed far enough in the game, but the way Warframe is structured, the game isn't designed imo for the kind of permanent changes WoW Cataclysm brought. 

DE is STILL trying to hide the operators from new players even though its almost impossible to do so. 

I don't think they are going to make any kind of permanent landscape change that is visible for a non quest completed player, even through taxiing. 

This

DE clearly isn't the type that will just remove open worlds & their town. They might change, but that will be the extent of it

27 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

Its clear from the 30minute demo, that cetus and potentially all free roam area's, will be overrun and lost. I can't speak for others, but i don't really care about cetus or the other free roams at all. What i was hoping would happen, is that they'd be expanded upon in the future after they were released, instead it seems DE has genuinely abandoned them. There are still countless bounty bugs and softlocks, and even issues with the orb mother fights still.

I highly doubt that's going to happen. The going away part, that is. Why would they trash the Plains? They spent like three years on that

No, they're probably going to do the thing line in Bastion, by Supergiant Games, where the hubworld comes under attack once, and it might have some battle scars on it for the rest of the game but otherwise it functions just like before

5 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

I can't speak for everyone else but I sure as hell am not invested in Warframe's lore. It is an absolute mish-mash of ideas and quite frankly I find the story the weakest part of Warframe. 

I love the lore, but also accepts that it is a retconned mess that could change at any minute.

That's why I enjoy speculating on it, but anytime I see anyone start truly arguing about it or getting emotional about it I throw up my hands and just walk away. It has been retconned and re-retconned so many times that at this point, I think the one thing none of us can be sure of is where they will go with it next. I enjoy speculation for the sake of it and I like world-building for any game I'm into, but I do think the story has a ton of holes over the years, and I can't deny it is a mish-mash. 

I still want story updates though, and will eat them up like crazy lol. 

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

I love the lore, but also accepts that it is a retconned mess that could change at any minute.

That's why I enjoy speculating on it, but anytime I see anyone start truly arguing about it or getting emotional about it I throw up my hands and just walk away. It has been retconned and re-retconned so many times that at this point, I think the one thing none of us can be sure of is where they will go with it next. I enjoy speculation for the sake of it and I like world-building for any game I'm into, but I do think the story has a ton of holes over the years, and I can't deny it is a mish-mash. 

I still want story updates though, and will eat them up like crazy lol. 

This is why I just don't care about Warframe's lore anymore.

DE has proven time and time again that they just throw random stuff together in this game. Retconning lore to fit new stuff, making weird design choices, not fixing polishing bugs etc.... Warframe is just a big pile of random ideas and it is pretty obvious from the lore that this isn't going to change anytime soon. All of the major bosses, characters etc. are isolated. The Kuva queens? Done and done in one mission never to be heard from again. Stalker? Irrelevant. Kela de Thame? Irrelevant. etc. etc.

You get little tiny bits of lore related stuff sprinkled randomly through missions but outside of the isolated story missions this stuff ends up being the same tired lines of dialogue over and over again. I honestly don't understand why any of us take this stuff seriously whatsoever. Warframe's story is like fan fiction of its own material.

10 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I get the idea from the teasers we have been shown, that the Sentients are far more interesting in terraforming and assimilating nearby wildlife and even intelligent life than they are with destroying it.

They don't just want to kill, they want to conquer. It makes them way more interesting. 

I get the feeling there's a sort of hive mind at play (not unlike Hunhow's fragments, but at larger scales), and the main reason they care about the Sol system is Hunhow / Erra's murder-boner that's directing them into war. Absent Erra / Hunhow, I doubt they'd much care about us. They didn't prior to Hunhow's reawakening, after all.

35 minutes ago, -Krism- said:

Blizzard logic lol. 
Seriously, have you seen how they've developed WoW over the last few years? XD

45 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

They don't need some extra twist or any big map update nor is anyone reasonable expecting anything like that. It's a cinematic story update. 

We are expecting the story to be updated. Nothing more. It's that simple. 

Short and simple just like how Tennocon 2020 along with how fairly successful the Heart of Deimos was: DE is focusing on developing and releasing what was closest to the Tennolive presentation rather than deviate heavily like Tennocon 2019

1 minute ago, -Krism- said:

I'll quote myself:

You dont have to have played it to see what they've done. 
But I'll save you the effort of looking.
Every expansion introduces an entirely new progression system that gets deleted at the end of said expansion to make way for a new progression system in the latest expansion. 
AKA, Blizzard Logic = spend hundreds of work hours building systems with the specific intent to delete it later.

Archived